Go Back   XmodSource.com > Xmods > XMOD Modification
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Gallery iTrader Today's Posts

Old 02-21-2007, 12:29 PM
Elite member

Trader Rating: (0)
Default starting new crawler project soon...

so, here's my questions... austincrawls could probably answer most everything, but I figure everyone should have some input.

I have some almost a full hummer spare/donor chassis and I just bought a new f150 chassis. Which length are people using when they fit model truck bodies to their crawler? I used a hummer for my scout body and it matched up perfectly, but some other models may be too long. Are they long enough for the f150 chassis?

Next, has anyone found a good tire that is bigger than the swampers, but still seems realistic? I like my mudder tractor tires from my other project, but I want something that looks more like an average (but big) crawler or off-roader.

Third, has anyone tried modifying the length of a chassis, including cutting down the awd driveshaft yet? I was thinking that I could shave the articulating part the determines the truck's length and cut down the driveshaft to match whatever model body I decide on.

I have everything else figured out. I'll be using gpm parts, another helicopter lipo batter, and other geared airplane motor. I really just need to nail down which model body, chassis length, and tires to go with...

Hopefully this modded xmod will be pretty nice when it's done!!!
Old 02-21-2007, 02:12 PM
The Daywalker

Trader Rating: (1)
Send a message via AIM to Numbchux Send a message via MSN to Numbchux Send a message via Yahoo to Numbchux

well, I had to shorten my chevy model by almost an inch to get it to fit on the F150 chassis.

my ~1:24 Wrangler body fits pretty well on the F150 chassis.

the xmods truck 4WD kit comes with a shorter driveshaft (they say it's for a future truck....). so you could do it that way. I did try to lengthen the chassis, and had a hell of a time going more than about 1/8" and keeping 4WD.

you want BIGGER than the swampers? and still realistic? you realize that at 1:28 scale, the swampers are 42". Even that's not very realistic.

but it sounds like a cool project! I just ordered a bunch of parts for mine....so hopefully this weekend we'll see some progress

"Where are we going, and why are we in a handbasket?"
Subaru --- All We'll Drive
Member: NSW, USC, MNS, C4C. Founder/Owner: NCC
Old 02-21-2007, 03:46 PM
Elite member

Send a message via AIM to TheXmodifyer

Yeah i hamde a 1965 cheyenne and its sick on the f150
Just to add.. the last time i stole a car.. i ran over a puppy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tmaxxn3
well that just screams ***.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen Colbert
I've always been a big fan of beauty. Sure, you can't judge a book by its cover but who wants to have sex with a book?
Old 02-21-2007, 06:44 PM
Advance member

1:24th scale trucks are pretty much a strait up fit maybe a tad long but if its a pickup you can channel the front of the bed with no worries.
With the aoshima longbed yoda pickup I had to channel 3/4" out of the length to get it to fit the f150. I think 1:25th scale trucks would be a better option if you can find em.
Old 02-21-2007, 09:43 PM
The Daywalker

Send a message via AIM to Numbchux Send a message via MSN to Numbchux Send a message via Yahoo to Numbchux

^^I got a 1:24 Tamiya Toyota Landcruiser model that I wanted to put on my truck chassis, but the body was way too long.

and yea, I've got the aoshima long bed high rise truck model....it's quite a bit longer too.

you're just going to have to take a chance....it's hard to say.

Old 02-21-2007, 11:33 PM
Elite member

OK, My scout is a short wheelbase truck to begin with (at least compared to a longbed pickup), plus it was a 1/25 model, so it fit the hummer perfect. However, I know I won't get that lucky with EVERY build. I'm thinking about doing the blazer that tower has listed as coming soon. I think i linked it in another thread in the appearancesection last week...

So, I'll keep the f150 and use it for the next build then. Now it's on to find the perfect tires...

Oh, and has anyone looked at the evo car chassis for a crawler build?!? I've never owned any of the xmod cars (only trucks), so I have no clue what they could be used for.
Old 02-21-2007, 11:39 PM
The Daywalker

the cars don't have the chassis articulation in the middle. this is the only reason that an xmod can make a half decent crawler. the stock independent suspension alone just isn't enough.

Old 02-22-2007, 12:58 AM
Elite member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Numbchux View Post
the cars don't have the chassis articulation in the middle. this is the only reason that an xmod can make a half decent crawler. the stock independent suspension alone just isn't enough.
Yeah, I noticed the lack of articulation.

edit: by the way, according to tower's specs, this jeep should fit length and width almost perfect for the hummer chassis:
http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXHAD0&P=W

I'm not ready to blow $25 to see just how easy or hard it will be to mount it, but it WOULD look cool if it worked.

Last edited by janikphoto; 02-22-2007 at 02:05 AM..