Go Back   XmodSource.com > Miscellaneous > Off-Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Gallery iTrader Today's Posts

Old 03-01-2008, 09:17 PM
Yes, 1945 Cadillac Tank

Trader Rating: (5)
Send a message via AIM to texan_idiot25
Default Good chrome-like paint?

I'm in the midst of refurbishing my gauge bezel. Finished the clock, and painted all the needles a new orange, and layed down a coat of flat black for the center portion. Now I need some good quality chrome-like spray paint for the edge of the bezel and the gauge rings.

I may be king of the idiots, but my kingdom is vast and my subjects are everywhere

Last edited by texan_idiot25; 03-01-2008 at 09:21 PM..
Old 03-01-2008, 09:20 PM
XMS Moderator

Trader Rating: (14)

Dupli color works great i tried it before
Old 03-01-2008, 09:34 PM
Yes, 1945 Cadillac Tank

Thanks man.

I may be king of the idiots, but my kingdom is vast and my subjects are everywhere
Old 03-01-2008, 09:39 PM
Elite member

Trader Rating: (0)
Send a message via AIM to greenday Send a message via Yahoo to greenday

Yeah, dupli-color works very well, and I saw several other reputable chromes at Auto-zone, O'Reily, and the like. I wouldn't reccomend going anywhere else for a chrome your looking for.
Old 03-01-2008, 09:40 PM
Xmod Expert

Trader Rating: (8)
Send a message via AIM to suicide_star Send a message via MSN to suicide_star

too bad its not smooth, you coulda cut out a chrome overlay with that ghetto foil stuff ppl put on their rocker panels.
Old 03-01-2008, 09:47 PM
Yes, 1945 Cadillac Tank

Suicide-This is what I'm aiming for, how they were standard:

The textured area is flat black.

But, no, no ghetto-fabulous chrome tape

Quote:
Yeah, dupli-color works very well, and I saw several other reputable chromes at Auto-zone, O'Reily, and the like. I wouldn't reccomend going anywhere else for a chrome your looking for.
Lol... sorry, but using Auto-zone, O'Reily, and such as a key place for paints is a bit of a ricer-mind state.

I cant rant too much, nearly bought the chrome skull shift-knob at Advanced while picking up radiator hoses on the CST10..

Old 03-01-2008, 09:51 PM
[Not-your-day] - Badass

Send a message via AIM to noturday

if you really want it to come out like that Tex your best option is to have the whole thing chromed, then go back with flat black afterward. you wont find any paint that looks as good as real chrome

Team XI
Old 03-01-2008, 09:54 PM
Yes, 1945 Cadillac Tank

Not that shiney, that scheme.

It's plastic, can't chrome plastic. (cheaply)

Old 03-01-2008, 09:58 PM
[Not-your-day] - Badass

haha well you know me, i'm all about the shine, but i guess if you just want it close to that you can go with duplicolor chrome, make sure you shake it up good, it will end up looking more like GPM xmods parts than chrome tho, still shiny, but not quite mirror finish

Team XI
Old 03-01-2008, 10:06 PM
Yes, 1945 Cadillac Tank

Yup, your Mr. Bling-bling. What ever gets it better then what I had before

Old 03-01-2008, 10:47 PM
Xmod Expert

Send a message via AIM to suicide_star Send a message via MSN to suicide_star

when you do find some chrome spray paint, it'll probably be on the bottle already, but you need to lay down a gloss black basecoat...it'll give the chrome a more realistic effect.

edit: im about to do the same stuff, my blazer's interior was all brushed aluminum looking, but its all faded now, im painting the panels all gunmetal.
Old 03-02-2008, 12:08 AM
[Not-your-day] - Badass

Quote:
Originally Posted by texan_idiot25 View Post
Yup, your Mr. Bling-bling. What ever gets it better then what I had before
haha yeah it deffinately needed refinishing, good luck with it

Team XI
Old 03-02-2008, 12:15 AM
Yes, 1945 Cadillac Tank

Got the black done, which is what you see above.

The more I read into duplicolor's, the less I want to use it. Aparently ain't very durable: http://www.skypirate.net/rocketry/con_paint_03.htm

More aticles about it's problem with being touched. I'll give it a shot, and another brand's. If all else fails, I can grab a bezel on ebay for $35 or so.... but... broke as a hobo on a heroin addiction.

Old 03-02-2008, 11:11 AM
Elite member

Send a message via AIM to greenday Send a message via Yahoo to greenday

Quote:
Suicide-This is what I'm aiming for, how they were standard:

The textured area is flat black.

But, no, no ghetto-fabulous chrome tape

Lol... sorry, but using Auto-zone, O'Reily, and such as a key place for paints is a bit of a ricer-mind state.

I cant rant too much, nearly bought the chrome skull shift-knob at Advanced while picking up radiator hoses on the CST10..

True, but they do have a nice selection on paints...and if you don't want to seem ricey don't go near the accsessories and $20 spinner hubcaps, you should make it out ok!
Old 03-02-2008, 12:27 PM
MEOWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW

I now there is some sort of chrome plating for plastic parts. i just don't know what or were I would find some hot rod restoration forums and pick those guys minds.
Old 03-02-2008, 12:56 PM
All 6's and 7's

Send a message via MSN to bondo

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmythekid1 View Post
I now there is some sort of chrome plating for plastic parts. i just don't know what or were I would find some hot rod restoration forums and pick those guys minds.
plastic is plated through electrolisis just like metal.
the only difference is the plastic parts have to be painted with a high iron content paint before plating can occur.
as stated, it's more expensive then it's worth unless you really have a bug up your butt for chrome....
you can save cost with multiple pieces but it's still more expensive then plating metal.

the best paint that i found that mimics chrome would be the HOK kosmic krome.
http://www.tcpglobal.com/hokpaint/hokspecialty.aspx

there is a chrome like mag paint out there but i cant remember what it's called offhand.
i can picture the label in my head but the name is blurry....

dupli-color is good for plastic parts but they shouldnt be in high traffic areas.
no rocker panels or interior panels that recieve high traffic.
if your doing dash bezels then it should be fine unless you like to constantly mess with them.

remember though, anytime you spray any ABS type of plastic, you need to use an adhesion promotor since these plastics secrete oils throughout their lifetime until your left with brittle plastic.. IMO bulldog is the best.
Old 03-02-2008, 01:04 PM
Yes, 1945 Cadillac Tank

The trouble is, you have to man-handle to get this bezel in place. The column don't tilt, and plus it be taken out again in the future when we do a bit of paint.

Bondo, in your opinion, best thing from a spray can? Don't want to have to go dig up all my dads old paint guns and all that jazz for the bezel. (he did his own paint jobs on the '74 Camaro and '78 El Camino.). Or could I probably get away with a cheap air brush?

Old 03-02-2008, 01:49 PM
All 6's and 7's

Quote:
The trouble is, you have to man-handle to get this bezel in place. The column don't tilt, and plus it be taken out again in the future when we do a bit of paint.

Bondo, in your opinion, best thing from a spray can? Don't want to have to go dig up all my dads old paint guns and all that jazz for the bezel. (he did his own paint jobs on the '74 Camaro and '78 El Camino.). Or could I probably get away with a cheap air brush?
you can airbrush that finish but you would have to adjust the mix ratios for an airbrush.
if the mix ratio is 2-1-1 then you would mix it at 2-2-1.
2 parts paint to 2 parts thinner and one part catalyst.

dont worry about the effort for one bezel because once you start, your going to go looking for trim that could use a squirt or two

and yes, my opinion that bulldog in a rattlecan is best because it does what it's supposed to in a neat package.
no need for useless mixing and cleanup for something you can get in a rattlecan.

paint is a different story though because spray paints are made to be "all purpose" therefore the mix is different then a 2 part system making them harder and less pliable or too soft wich is less durable.
Old 03-02-2008, 02:09 PM
Yes, 1945 Cadillac Tank

Sweet, I'll look into it. Here is another spray can deal someone suggested:http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...0&postcount=18
Quote:
This is what I use for chroming plastic. Close to chrome as you get. The trick is that you have to have either a white or black base in order for this to work. Base also has to be smooth. I found the the white base works best. You just have to do as instructions say in order to get the chrome look. But this does give you chrome on plastic. This stuff ain't cheap. 3.5 oz for around $12

The picture gives off a flash from the camera, but you can still see the mirror on the spoon.

Buy online or at your local hobby shop.

Old 03-02-2008, 03:54 PM
All 6's and 7's

that's pretty decent.
that's pretty close to the shine i got from that mag paint.
i was painting an exterior tach and after colorsanding,clearcoat and polishing it came out **** close to that right there.
i could see myself in it so it was pretty good shine.