Go Back   XmodSource.com > Xmods > General XMODs
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Gallery iTrader Today's Posts

Old 01-09-2009, 02:29 AM
Advance member

Trader Rating: (19)
Default Look at these mini drifters

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IekVQkS2QBA
I need alloy rims but not the rs alloy rims. If you have some you are willing to part with let me know. Paying top dollar for them and even better if they are top cad alloy rims as I will pay full price and a half for them.
Old 01-09-2009, 04:20 AM
Modifier

Trader Rating: (3)
Send a message via ICQ to Skv012a Send a message via AIM to Skv012a Send a message via Yahoo to Skv012a

Neat, but I'd take an xmod gen 1 over those if not mini-z. To get the same results with these you'd need much more skill than with that Tomy thats designed and pre-set specifically for drifting.
Old 01-09-2009, 06:28 AM
ROTFLSHMSFOAIDMT

Trader Rating: (24)
Send a message via AIM to TheB1GDude Send a message via MSN to TheB1GDude

Does anyone have one or plan to get one? I would be interested to see what they have under the hood....

[EDIT] Nevermind... found them on eBay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Tomy-Drift-Packa...31142007r11535

Look like just another cheap xmods wannabe copy.....

Duct Tape is like the force:- it has a light side and a dark side and it binds the universe together.....
Old 01-09-2009, 08:00 AM
MSI <3

Trader Rating: (2)

but their commercial is japanese, so they must be good. they problably have built in fire hoses or microwaves or something else useless the japanese like to cram into stuff.
Old 01-09-2009, 09:47 AM
dirtlover/moderator

Trader Rating: (14)

i have a 2 wheel drive version, got it for $5 so it was worth it, fun to put together and cool, different bodies....but the driving control has much to be desired...maybe the drift version has more control?...i'd love to get the red toyota levin body tho...

Team X.I.
Old 01-09-2009, 12:42 PM
Advance member

Trader Rating: (19)

They do look interesting though. I would like to try a hybrid and mix a xmod or mini z with one and see what you would come up with. Imagine one of those with a board upgrade, fet upgrade, and motor upgrade. It would be crazy if you could control it. A couple of atomic standards with liths????????????? I may get one just to try it. Might be a big waste of money but it would be interesting.
I need alloy rims but not the rs alloy rims. If you have some you are willing to part with let me know. Paying top dollar for them and even better if they are top cad alloy rims as I will pay full price and a half for them.
Old 01-09-2009, 02:24 PM
Modifier

Send a message via ICQ to Skv012a Send a message via AIM to Skv012a Send a message via Yahoo to Skv012a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackdragon View Post
Might be a big waste of money...
Just another xmod or a Z, I'd say AWD Z, and get a camber kit and other suspension upgrades. Liths are waaay too much for a drifter, you won't have much control imo.
Old 01-09-2009, 03:15 PM
Elite member

Trader Rating: (4)
Send a message via AIM to merc3des

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skv012a View Post
Just another xmod or a Z, I'd say AWD Z, and get a camber kit and other suspension upgrades. Liths are waaay too much for a drifter, you won't have much control imo.
Have you even tried liths on a drifter? It performs much better than Ni-Mh if you have an FET upgrade because you have a much bigger speed spectrum. Don't say things if you haven't tried it yourself.

Mercedes Track Car v2 (50% finished) :
http://www.xmodsource.com/forum/showthread.php?t=18360

Comeback Supra Project (trust me tune in):
http://www.xmodsource.com/forum/showthread.php?t=20546
Old 01-09-2009, 08:30 PM
That's what she said.

Trader Rating: (1)

I believe I've seen this before... I got a ChoroQ from Tomy and got bored and decided to look at their site for stuff...
Old 01-10-2009, 12:31 AM
Advance member

Trader Rating: (0)
Default Pass

hmm....looks like Revell RPMZ all over again....and beside you can drift anything of smooth surfaces....
Old 01-10-2009, 02:20 AM
Elite member

For cheap fun drifting, I'd actually take this over a Mini-Z. The AWD system looks solid, and they're relatively VERY cheap, you can buy several for the price of one Mini-Z AWD. I actually want two, can't wait till I get some more income.
Old 01-10-2009, 09:21 AM
the torqueinator

Send a message via AIM to kendallcschm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skv012a View Post
Neat, but I'd take an xmod gen 1 over those if not mini-z. To get the same results with these you'd need much more skill than with that Tomy thats designed and pre-set specifically for drifting.
i agree with you... i would rather drift an xmod... or a bigger RC car... then its more like drifting a real car...

'65 Drag Mustang

mods to be made:
pro street rims
some sort of suspension upgrade (message me if you have suggestions)
soft drag slicks

Titan:

mods to be made:
CF driveshaft
composite driveshaft gears
Old 01-15-2009, 01:40 AM
Advance member

i think i would step on it hahaha
Old 01-15-2009, 03:17 AM
Advance member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kendallcschm View Post
i agree with you... i would rather drift an xmod... or a bigger RC car... then its more like drifting a real car...

how big of an rc are you talkin about? cuz unless your sittin in it, its never like driftin a real car, trust me! i took drifting lessons in my old mk2 supra and its way more of a rush then playing with an rc!

yeyeye i know drifitng lessons blah blah blah i wanted to learn how to drift for REAL lol
Old 01-21-2009, 04:03 PM
Stage 2 member

yeah but it's cheaper to buy tires for our RC cars than your mk2 lolz
Old 01-21-2009, 05:00 PM
Elite member

Send a message via AIM to BulletsRain

I'm pretty sure DIY Mini Tuner has a review on it's blog. They do look like cheaper xmod's, but the chassis looks like full plastic, I mean the crappy plastic.
Old 01-21-2009, 06:00 PM
Xmod Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by idreamz View Post
I stumbled across one of those videos and was like instantly sold. Could a non-proportional RC really work that well drifting? How did they construct it? So I got a couple from Toy East and thought I might write a brief review of this.

For a price of 30 USD I thought it as a bargain, but shipping and local taxes will double the cost, ouch! Nevertheless, when they arrived my expectations were high. The packaging was neat and sorted, the material felt like it was of MiniZ quality, and the construction looked smart.

So it's a kit!

Not what I'd expected that from a toy but makes if feel more serious somehow. The instructions are in japanese but you won't need that really, however there are som drifting tips on it which is a shame to miss.

Ever wondered why the video said Aero RC drift _LIGHT_ package? I saw no LED kits included. Though it comes with an ad poster that tellls you about the 1/10 Yokomo drift package. What, did I just pay 30USD for a promotion toy?!

Putting it together requires no tools and takes about 15 minutes (however inserting the batteries requires a philips screwdriver). The chassis is a bit unusual in the way that you mount the stuff from beneath, so in goes one motor for propolusion and one for steering. The motors gets their electricity by contact patches. There are no suspension mechanisms at all, so no off-roading ambitions here, especially not when the ground clearance is like 2mm.

The steering is handled with gears and a return spring. Center point is adjustable and the whees turns about 40deg. The front wheels also have about -5deg negative camber. As for the driveline, there is a center axle driven by the motor, a solid axle in the rear, and a one-way forward solid axle in the front, transmitting to the wheels through dogbones. Wheelbase is adjustable, between 98mm and I guess 94mm. When the parts is in you snap on the lids to secure them in place.

The wheels are tapered, so depending how you mount them you get either a flat contact with the ground, or a cambered.

The body is a Nissan 180SX, and has 98mm wheelbase. It'll propably fit a MR015 chassis with 2mm offset quite well, but you have to modify the mountings. This one mounts to the chassis with notches in front and rear. It comes with decals, a snap-on spoiler, sets of headlight cover in different positions, and a complete 2 pairs of spare side mirrors! Lol, not that I believe I'd snap any of them as the material feels hardened, I'd worry more about the furniture.

For power the transmitter needs 2 AAA and the chassis 3 AAA, not included with the kit. Running weight is about 200g.

Now how's the driving experience (do I have to write about it)?
Box-stock it's actually a mild dissapointment - I could pull off a couple of powerslides with it, but it has a nasty habit of constantly pulling to the left, which sort of ruins the steering, and the rest as well. A closer inspection shows that only 3 wheels touch ground, leaving the left front in the air, which makes the right front wheel turn left. Until I find a way to lower the left front wheel solving the problem I won't know how well this car really could perform. Shame really that such a smalll fault would ruin the experience totally. Maybe this was a bad sample.

Final verdict? Smart package, but potentially flawed.
Quoted from idreamz on R7R.
http://ripper7racing.com/r7rforums/s...ght=aero+drift

I personnaly like this setup since it has a lower COG than an xmod has, but I'm pretty sure the gears will worn out rather quickly.
Add a torquier motor and swap the cheap return spring suspension for a micro servo and cut yourself a custom chassis and i bet it could be a good 1:28th scale drifter!

Last edited by c1v1c; 01-21-2009 at 06:03 PM..
Old 01-21-2009, 06:20 PM
US Air Force

Trader Rating: (9)

old news, i think this was also found in the other fake xmods/mini-z thraed