Go Back   XmodSource.com > Xmods > General XMODs
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Gallery iTrader Today's Posts

Old 10-22-2009, 06:52 PM
Xmods And Nitro RC!

Trader Rating: (0)
Send a message via AIM to mikepevine11
Default just picked up a Gen 1 for just about free

i just got a generation 1 honda civic blue for $10 off craigslist. looking for some li-ion

http://www.atomicmods.com/Products/X...ck__10114.aspx

i think im going with those....... but what charger do i use?

Also the body is beat up alittle i mean i could use it but where can i find some decent priced bodies?

Also tight turns http://www.atomicmods.com/Products/X...od__10100.aspx is that a decent install? i can solder to an extent.... not extremly well but i can.......
Old 10-22-2009, 07:33 PM
drifter and engineer

Trader Rating: (5)
Send a message via AIM to XMDrifter

that tight turns is miniscule, and more likely than not you'll fry your gen1 if you aren't **** near perfect with your soldering.
i recommend the 3.3k resister mod instead of atomicmods' tighturns upgrade. both do the same thing, just easier to do the 3.3k resistor mod.

use an appropriate charger: one that's made for li-po/li-ion. they have them in the chargers section at AM. they're really pricey, but don't try to cut costs because if you get stuff that's cheaper, it won't be safe and could make the battery pack literally burst into flames.
Old 10-22-2009, 08:01 PM
Xmods And Nitro RC!

where can i find the 3.3kohm resister mod?

is this the correct charger?

http://www.atomicmods.com/Products/1...or__10039.aspx

that charger is 500mah
the batts are 2 780mah..........

Last edited by DRFTKO; 10-22-2009 at 11:20 PM.. Reason: double post
Old 10-22-2009, 09:09 PM
Elite member

Trader Rating: (8)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikepevine11 View Post
where can i find the 3.3kohm resister mod?
Radio Shack. They are super cheap. I have some laying around if you don't have a radio shack near by. They are like 5 for a dollar.

I'm experienced at soldering and find the 3.3k in-line resistor mod a bit of a challenge. Personally, I find it easier to solder on FETs. Nonetheless, if you want to give it a shot you'll need some shrink tubing as well.

Here is what you do basically:

Make sure there are no batteries in the car.

1. Find the wires going from the board to the servo. There are three, orange, brown and i *think* yellow and the wires are all kinda "stuck" together.

2. Carefully, I mean CAREFULLY pull them apart so that they are no longer "stuck" together. I use tweezers and some pliers, make sure you don't tug on the wire so that it disconnects from the board or servo, because that would be a pain.

3. Cut the resistors so that only a little bit of the silver wire is remaining, just enough for a wire to be soldered on there well.

4. Carefully strip the Brown and Orange wires on both sides, again making sure not to pull them free from their solder point on the board or servo.

5. Once wire is exposed, cut a small amount of shrink wrap before each end of a resistor is soldered in place and place it on to the wire as far away from the exposed wire threads as you can, just enough shrink tubing to cover the silver from the resistor.

6. Carefully solder each end of the resistors so that it is in line with the orange wires and brown wires, being careful not to cross them. After each side of a resistor is done, slide the shrink tubing over the exposed solder joint and use a lighter to shrink the tubing to a snug fit.

7. Turn the car on when your done, if its properly done the wheels will center, if it goes to one side then you will curse a lot as you try to find out which wire got pulled free from the board and servo.

Anyhow, thats not the most clear, but basically a well done job is not easy, but it is doable if you feel up to the challenge.

Last edited by Action B; 10-22-2009 at 09:23 PM..
Old 10-22-2009, 09:33 PM
Xmod Expert

Send a message via AIM to winner

@ Action B

lol mind if i ask a few questions, lol i was planing to do this on 3 gen 1 boards lol

1. would it be ok if i did 1 piece of shrink tubbing over 1 entire resister after soldering it to the wires?

2. lol can you make a tut for future use?

XBL Gamer Tag : Roar Pants
Old 10-22-2009, 09:38 PM
All 6's and 7's

Send a message via MSN to bondo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Action B View Post
Radio Shack. They are super cheap. I have some laying around if you don't have a radio shack near by. They are like 5 for a dollar.

I'm experienced at soldering and find the 3.3k in-line resistor mod a bit of a challenge. Personally, I find it easier to solder on FETs. Nonetheless, if you want to give it a shot you'll need some shrink tubing as well.

Here is what you do basically:

Make sure there are no batteries in the car.

1. Find the wires going from the board to the servo. There are three, orange, brown and i *think* yellow and the wires are all kinda "stuck" together.

2. Carefully, I mean CAREFULLY pull them apart so that they are no longer "stuck" together. I use tweezers and some pliers, make sure you don't tug on the wire so that it disconnects from the board or servo, because that would be a pain.

3. Cut the resistors so that only a little bit of the silver wire is remaining, just enough for a wire to be soldered on there well.

4. Carefully strip the Brown and Orange wires on both sides, again making sure not to pull them free from their solder point on the board or servo.

5. Once wire is exposed, cut a small amount of shrink wrap before each end of a resistor is soldered in place and place it on to the wire as far away from the exposed wire threads as you can, just enough shrink tubing to cover the silver from the resistor.

6. Carefully solder each end of the resistors so that it is in line with the orange wires and brown wires, being careful not to cross them. After each side of a resistor is done, slide the shrink tubing over the exposed solder joint and use a lighter to shrink the tubing to a snug fit.

7. Turn the car on when your done, if its properly done the wheels will center, if it goes to one side then you will curse a lot as you try to find out which wire got pulled free from the board and servo.

Anyhow, thats not the most clear, but basically a well done job is not easy, but it is doable if you feel up to the challenge.
i'm also an experienced solderererer and i find the 3.3 ALOT easier then micro resistors.
plain jane,in-line soldering is a helluvalot easier(not to mention saferfor the board with less chance of malfuction) then micro soldering.

i have a slightly different method for the 3.3's though.
instead of wiring them in-line,i'll unsolder the wires from the servo,nip the resistors to 1/8" and solder them to the servo itself.
nip off the two outside wires to length,solder,heatshrink and then bend the resistors down along the backside of the servo so they tuck neatly out of the way.
if you do it right,it will do what it's supposed to,be out of the way and with black heatshrink,you'de never even know they were there.
Old 10-22-2009, 09:39 PM
Elite member

Quote:
Originally Posted by winner View Post
@ Action B

lol mind if i ask a few questions, lol i was planing to do this on 3 gen 1 boards lol

1. would it be ok if i did 1 piece of shrink tubbing over 1 entire resister after soldering it to the wires?

2. lol can you make a tut for future use?
1. Yeah, that would be fine.

2. I need a gen.1 board, I just sold my last one and then I'd happily do one, I figured there already was a tutorial.

If anyone wants to lend me a gen.1 car to do the tight turns on I'll do the tutorial for the website and install it for free.

Last edited by Action B; 10-22-2009 at 09:57 PM..
Old 10-23-2009, 02:55 AM
Elite member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bondo View Post
i'm also an experienced solderererer and i find the 3.3 ALOT easier then micro resistors.
plain jane,in-line soldering is a helluvalot easier(not to mention saferfor the board with less chance of malfuction) then micro soldering.

i have a slightly different method for the 3.3's though.
instead of wiring them in-line,i'll unsolder the wires from the servo,nip the resistors to 1/8" and solder them to the servo itself.
nip off the two outside wires to length,solder,heatshrink and then bend the resistors down along the backside of the servo so they tuck neatly out of the way.
if you do it right,it will do what it's supposed to,be out of the way and with black heatshrink,you'de never even know they were there.
I'll give that a shot sometime. That would remove the trouble of worrying about pulling wires loose from the board. Though, I'm kinda used to my way now so if its not much easier I'll probably keep doing it my old way.
Old 10-23-2009, 03:52 PM
Xmods And Nitro RC!

is there a tut with pics?
Old 10-23-2009, 05:48 PM
Xmod Expert

Send a message via AIM to winner

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikepevine11 View Post
is there a tut with pics?
no, lol thats why i asked him to post one

XBL Gamer Tag : Roar Pants
Old 10-25-2009, 01:00 PM
Xmods And Nitro RC!

i mean mabe on another site orsometing? im not sure i'd like doing it without pics....