Go Back   XmodSource.com > Xmods > General XMODs
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Gallery iTrader Today's Posts

Old 10-18-2009, 08:12 PM
Xmods And Nitro RC!

Trader Rating: (0)
Send a message via AIM to mikepevine11
Question Li-ion, and some other upgrades......

so heres my upgrade list so far. I recently picked up a Audi R8 and looking to get some speed. I dont race just for a little fun in the basement.

Looking to get:
XMOD Evo Car Lithium Ion Pro 2S Pack for Stiletto Chassis
$39.99

XMOD Evo FET Upgrade Set
$7.99

XMOD Evo Shielded Bearing Set
$19.99

XMOD Evo Car Stiletto Aluminum Chassis - Green
$34.99

Also carbon fiber shaft ( not sure the size? ) and AWD

i have not a clue on what motor i want............
And on automaticmods they have the Li-ions on 'backorder'.........

Are Fets diffcult to install? ( i can solder to a point.... )
how many fets should i stack?
what motor ( looking for accerlration And top speed.... )
Old 10-18-2009, 08:18 PM
That's what she said.

Trader Rating: (1)

As for the shaft, you need the medium shaft.

Due to the itty bitty size of FETs, it's pretty hard to install FETs yourself (imagine trying to solder something that is .5mm by .5mm and do that eight times)

If you're going to solder by yourself (or if someone is going to do it for you), 2x3 is the max stack of FETs you'll need to run any motor.

As for motors, there are zillions of them out there. Some sites to look at are:

www.atomicmods.com
www.diyminituner.com
And I think www.xmodsinternational.com has some, but I'm not sure if they have any good motors left in stock.

This link has some links to places you can buy motors:
http://www.xmodsource.com/forum/showthread.php?t=11094

Remember to keep this a non B/S/T thread since you only have one post

Last edited by taiwanesekid05; 10-18-2009 at 08:24 PM..
Old 10-18-2009, 08:19 PM
drifter and engineer

Trader Rating: (5)
Send a message via AIM to XMDrifter

- backorder means that they're out of stock and ordering new stock
- the r8 has a medium sized driveshaft
- you'll want something along the lines of "PN racing 70t" or "atomic stock" as a motor as those have gobs of acceleration. top speed and acceleration has tradeoffs, so you can either go with acceleration or topspeed, but not both. the thing is, if it's in your basement, you won't have much room to do topspeed stuff, so go with acceleration instead so you can get to your topspeed earlier.

- mosfets are a very difficult upgrade to install. i wouldn't recommend it unless your soldering skills are advanced (these are surface mount transistors: heat sensitive, and the legs are very small. you also have to be able to remove the old fets without damaging the board)
you're better off getting the prestacked board or getting one of the members on XMS do perform the install for you.
Old 10-18-2009, 08:20 PM
ROTFLSHMSFOAIDMT

Trader Rating: (24)
Send a message via AIM to TheB1GDude Send a message via MSN to TheB1GDude

Looks like your taking a lot on for what I'm assuming is your first car

FET's are tricky, you need to have real fine soldering skills to install them but we have some talented members who could help you out if you don't feel ready to install them yourself.

If you are stacking then don't go higher than 2x4 because after that its just not worth it....

Maybe instead look into an external turbo (spider / bug) or a V2 power board, these are generally easier to install and just as good as stacked FET's.

Motor wise look at the chillis or find someone to custom make one for you.

If you wanted to start simple then you could get a Stock-R motor which doesn't need stacked FET's to run and is a decent motor.

Duct Tape is like the force:- it has a light side and a dark side and it binds the universe together.....
Old 10-18-2009, 08:31 PM
Xmods And Nitro RC!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheB1GDude View Post
Looks like your taking a lot on for what I'm assuming is your first car

FET's are tricky, you need to have real fine soldering skills to install them but we have some talented members who could help you out if you don't feel ready to install them yourself.

If you are stacking then don't go higher than 2x4 because after that its just not worth it....

Maybe instead look into an external turbo (spider / bug) or a V2 power board, these are generally easier to install and just as good as stacked FET's.

Motor wise look at the chillis or find someone to custom make one for you.

If you wanted to start simple then you could get a Stock-R motor which doesn't need stacked FET's to run and is a decent motor.

Thanks for the super fast replies!

i had 1st gen xmods back in the day and the other day i was drooling over the new evo ones. so my GF bought me one as a very early Xmas gift!

anyways, i was looking at the v2.2 power board. how many motor options will that open up? and with the Stiletto chassis will that work out well or will it look sloppy?

i was also looking at the chillis but is it easy to switch the brushes?
Old 10-18-2009, 09:36 PM
Stage 2 member

Trader Rating: (1)

I learned the hard way that Fets are tricky, lol. I burned my first fet by dragging a freshly unsoldered wire across it, then burned the replacement chip by holding the soldering iron on too long. And today I attempted to replace it again and the metal surface on the board peeled off.

Fets made me realize that I must not be as dexterous as I thought. lol.
But it's all part of the fun :P

Quote:
Originally Posted by ---------- View Post
yea thats true, cm or mm its still 8.4
lol ^^^^^^^^
Old 10-18-2009, 10:51 PM
Elite member

Trader Rating: (8)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikepevine11 View Post
Thanks for the super fast replies!

i had 1st gen xmods back in the day and the other day i was drooling over the new evo ones. so my GF bought me one as a very early Xmas gift!

anyways, i was looking at the v2.2 power board. how many motor options will that open up? and with the Stiletto chassis will that work out well or will it look sloppy?

i was also looking at the chillis but is it easy to switch the brushes?
Okay, your new and I like your enthusiasm. Let me try to help with a couple of things.

1. A v2.2 board doesn't have any real advantage unless your running above 7.2 Volts (Most lithium kits are 7.2V, like the atomicmods one you have listed). A 2x2 stack of FETs will run a lithium kit with ANY motor you can find without a single problem. You won't even come close to maxing out a 2x2 of 8858. I find the T2 to be the fastest motor I have seen.

2. Armature swapping is not necessary on motors that don't have "advanced timing" Now, I'm going to be honest I don't really know what the hell that means but I know that what I just said is true.

Looking to get:
XMOD Evo Car Lithium Ion Pro 2S Pack for Stiletto Chassis
$39.99 -*YOU WILL NEED A LITHIUM CHARGER FOR THIS, also please note that lithium kits on ebay have worked really well for me (bought over 4 kits and still have them running well)

XMOD Evo FET Upgrade Set
$7.99 * You have to have these installed as well, me and tripleXmodder sell and install FETs at a much lower price than atomicmods

XMOD Evo Shielded Bearing Set
$19.99

XMOD Evo Car Stiletto Aluminum Chassis - Green
$34.99 *TripleXmodder sells custom chassis on this site, hes very good.

Last edited by Action B; 10-18-2009 at 10:55 PM..
Old 10-18-2009, 11:34 PM
XMS Admin

Trader Rating: (35)
Send a message via MSN to zippo855 Send a message via Yahoo to zippo855

flipping brushes is fairly easy thing to do, they have several tutorials on here, other xmod sites and i believe that atomic even has a tutorial on doing it.

and remember that the brush flipping is only required on motors with the m1 endbells. the stock r, chile, etc.

the chile is a heck of a motor, but for basement running, its a big over kill. stock r or something similar would do the job, and wouldn't require a fet stack.

and most of the other questions have been answered in other posts, so if theres anything else let me know.
Thanks
Chuck

TEAM X.I.
my massive collection of xmods
http://www.xmodsource.com/forum/showthread.php?t=13526
Old 10-19-2009, 12:16 PM
Xmods And Nitro RC!

im thinking i want to send it out to get the fets sacked...... no idea where to send it tho..... and i want them sacked to a level where they are usefull, not to many i wouldnt need. im thinking i want to run the chili motor
Old 10-19-2009, 01:04 PM
XMS moderator

Send a message via MSN to tayyab

Check out the XMS service providers list. There are a few you can send your car too.
2X3 Stack can run **** near any motor. But remember the higher you go, the more unstable the throttle becomes. As someone said,
'stacking higher than 2X4 is usless unless u plan on using your xmod to run a blender'

BTW, with all that power, have you considered getting any GPM with all that power?

Later, T.I.M
Old 10-19-2009, 03:37 PM
Xmods And Nitro RC!

i have GPM plans... looking for the other stuff first tho. where can ifind that linkothe XMS service list?
Old 10-19-2009, 08:46 PM
drifter and engineer

Trader Rating: (5)
Send a message via AIM to XMDrifter

it's on the main forum page, down a ways, by the B/S/T
and a v2.2 would look clean with a stilletto, but the v2.2 is heavy, and you might have rollover problems with it.