Go Back   XmodSource.com > Xmods > General XMODs
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Gallery iTrader Today's Posts

Old 08-11-2007, 03:49 AM
Stage 1 member

Trader Rating: (0)
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRFTKO View Post
They did. Under "Bumblebee" on the box it reads "Concept Camaro", and under Barricade on its box it reads "2007 Saleen Mustang".

I agree, im thinking of doing that with my Bumblebee.
Oh well. I ain't got one myself. Didn't know that
Yellow Skyline CF & S&S
Old 08-11-2007, 09:00 AM
MSI <3

Trader Rating: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xmodifier07 View Post
If u are so worried tht they wont bring out a proper bodykit, CUSTOM MAKE ONE. That is what putty/bondo is here for
actually, it's for fixing dents/rust holes in real cars.
Old 08-11-2007, 09:07 AM
Stage 1 member

Quote:
Originally Posted by firebird999 View Post
actually, it's for fixing dents/rust holes in real cars.
But Tamiya Epoxy Putty is for R/C I think..
Yellow Skyline CF & S&S
Old 08-11-2007, 09:19 AM
MSI <3

Trader Rating: (2)

yes it is, keyword:tamiya aka one of the best rc companies out there
Old 08-11-2007, 02:13 PM
Yes, 1945 Cadillac Tank

Trader Rating: (5)
Send a message via AIM to texan_idiot25

Actually, you should NEVER use bondo to fix rust holes. Other wise you look like a total retard to the next owner when every little hole is full of bondo. Resto guys hate it. Not only that, bondo isnt much of a sealer, so the rust is just going to keep rusting underneath, and then screw up the bondo, and paint on top. The only excuse for it is a short term fix until proper work can be done. But never left there for the cars life.

I may be king of the idiots, but my kingdom is vast and my subjects are everywhere
Old 08-12-2007, 01:26 AM
Xmod Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faester View Post
But Tamiya Epoxy Putty is for R/C I think..
Actually, its for static models (its what Tamiya is popular for, their highly-detailed and very accurate scale model kits.) IMO, no other plastic model company's model kits come even anywhere close to Tamiya's accuracy, detail, and fit+finish.

I use Tamiya putty along with Miliput (European-made putty) when building scale models, modifying them, fixing, etc.
Old 08-12-2007, 06:19 AM
Elite member

The brown thing is apparently a pin of two poodles. Pretty scary. The weird stuff you find when you do a google image search for Lame R/C.
Old 08-12-2007, 07:51 AM
All 6's and 7's

Trader Rating: (8)
Send a message via MSN to bondo

Quote:
Originally Posted by texan_idiot25 View Post
Actually, you should NEVER use bondo to fix rust holes. Other wise you look like a total retard to the next owner when every little hole is full of bondo. Resto guys hate it. Not only that, bondo isnt much of a sealer, so the rust is just going to keep rusting underneath, and then screw up the bondo, and paint on top. The only excuse for it is a short term fix until proper work can be done. But never left there for the cars life.
Quote:
Not only that, bondo isnt much of a sealer, so the rust is just going to keep rusting underneath, and then screw up the bondo, and paint on top.
bondo is actually more of a sponge then a sealer.
you can fill a hole with bondo and use a proper sealer but the other side of the hole will still accept moisture through condensation.(that dew on your car in the mornings) the bondo will actually hold the moisture to the metal while deteriorating itself. once this happens you have pretty much an air pocket under your paint. not good.
but your right, bondo should never be used to fill holes. that's what sheetmetal and lead is for.
but where you say
Quote:
"The only excuse for it is a short term fix until proper work can be done. But never left there for the cars life"
i have to disagree.
many very highly respected and known builders use bondo on almost every car.
if prepared, prepped and used properly, bondo is very good at going the distance.
in some cases the use of bondo is unavoidable. you can do your best to remove a dent with a slide hammer,you can even take this farther by using body hammers and dollies but even this wont bring the original shape of the metal back. the only resort left is either lead fill or putty.
lead fill is harder,you cant really skim coat a car in lead and it requires a whole new set of tools.

c'mon.....did you think you could mention bondo without me popping up????
Old 08-12-2007, 09:11 AM
MEOWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW

Quote:
Originally Posted by bondo View Post
bondo is actually more of a sponge then a sealer.
you can fill a hole with bondo and use a proper sealer but the other side of the hole will still accept moisture through condensation.(that dew on your car in the mornings) the bondo will actually hold the moisture to the metal while deteriorating itself. once this happens you have pretty much an air pocket under your paint. not good.
but your right, bondo should never be used to fill holes. that's what sheetmetal and lead is for.
but where you say i have to disagree.
many very highly respected and known builders use bondo on almost every car.
if prepared, prepped and used properly, bondo is very good at going the distance.
in some cases the use of bondo is unavoidable. you can do your best to remove a dent with a slide hammer,you can even take this farther by using body hammers and dollies but even this wont bring the original shape of the metal back. the only resort left is either lead fill or putty.
lead fill is harder,you cant really skim coat a car in lead and it requires a whole new set of tools.

c'mon.....did you think you could mention bondo without me popping up????
Just a question how does the fiber glass filler with the strands work for doing rust repairs will this seal out moister?
Old 08-12-2007, 09:47 AM
All 6's and 7's

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmythekid1 View Post
Just a question how does the fiber glass filler with the strands work for doing rust repairs will this seal out moister?

if your refferring to the bondo brand fiberglass jelly then the answer is no.
the jelly is pretty close to the same thing as the body filler. the chop or weave is applied seprately.

fibreglass resin and chop/weave will work but it's in the same boat as bondo on rust. completely temporary. IMO fibreglass should be left to the speaker boxes and boats.
the absolute best way to fix rust holes is with metal.
if you dont have the means however then you should buy a bottle of Ospho and a jar of bondo. if the hole is larger then 1/4" then it NEEDS to be replaced with metal.
if it's just pitting and a few small holes then grind off all of the rust you can,apply the ospho and let it dry for 24 hrs.
skim the surface with bondo.sand and reapply as needed.

here's the most important part. primer SEALER.
primer is primer, you want to find a primer sealer. this will penetrate the putty and seal the bondo against condensation.
Old 08-12-2007, 12:16 PM
Yes, 1945 Cadillac Tank

I agree as to smooth out a body with dents/waves/weld spots/etc, and light use. But not to fill in rust holes, and thats the main point in my statement.

I just really hate it for rust repair, because on my truck, one of the original owners (before the guy I bought it from) tried bondo-ing the rocker panels. No prep work to stop the rust, just bondo-d over it, then went to paint. And same with part of the lower fenders.

And I figured some one would come by, yes, lol.

I may be king of the idiots, but my kingdom is vast and my subjects are everywhere
Old 08-12-2007, 01:23 PM
All 6's and 7's

Quote:
Originally Posted by texan_idiot25 View Post
I agree as to smooth out a body with dents/waves/weld spots/etc, and light use. But not to fill in rust holes, and thats the main point in my statement.

I just really hate it for rust repair, because on my truck, one of the original owners (before the guy I bought it from) tried bondo-ing the rocker panels. No prep work to stop the rust, just bondo-d over it, then went to paint. And same with part of the lower fenders.

And I figured some one would come by, yes, lol.
i hear ya, pretty much everyone of the pre 85' projects that i have going have had bondo. most are 1/4"-3/4" thick in some places.
the #1 rule for putty is "skim, don't sculpt"

some of the putty work on a couple of the cars is decent but it still needs to be removed simply because it's too thick. it's alot easier for the backyard bodyman to fill a dent and get to paint then it is to pull and smooth the dent before skimming.

rust is often over looked by the BYBM. it basically boils down to the time that someone is willing to spend. the concept of bodywork is easy but it actually takes a bit of knowledge and a heap of seperate tools.some of wich can be very expensive.

so, i can pretty much understand shoddy bodywork but it doesnt make it suck any less for the next schlub to take a grinder to the body.
Old 08-12-2007, 01:46 PM
Yes, 1945 Cadillac Tank

Quote:
Originally Posted by bondo View Post
the #1 rule for putty is "skim, don't sculpt"
Amen to that rule

Old 08-12-2007, 05:25 PM
Banned

Trader Rating: (14)

Bondo is GOD! LOL jk. From what I hear, The Rat Shack are coming out with ANOTHER line of R/C cars I duno if this is true. Heard they gonna be bigger scale than Xmods.
Old 08-12-2007, 05:38 PM
Yes, 1945 Cadillac Tank

RS has been selling larger scale R/C for a very long time. This comes as 0 suprise to me.

Now, if only things were as good as the old Enforcer I have.

Old 08-12-2007, 05:41 PM
Banned

Trader Rating: (14)

Cars.... not the funny "bugs" or Animals
Old 08-12-2007, 07:35 PM
Yes, 1945 Cadillac Tank

Thats what talking about, this is the Enforcer, though a bit modded:

Old 08-22-2007, 02:51 AM

I love these types of threads!!! Mobs of people gathering around to talk about the next great thing for their hobby. I certainly don't mean this in a cynical or sarcastic way at all. I think what everyone forgets is that the developers and marketing teams at our beloved RS are very smart, and they have internet access as well.
Sure maybe the magic of the evo chassis and body styles is starting to wear away. And yes, there are better brands of 1/28 or similar vehicles out there. But, do you all really think that RS is gonna let Kyosho have all of that market share. NO WAY!!! I totally believe in the "new product" hype, because there are people like us saving our hard earned / begged / borrowed / stolen money to get XMODS, break 'em and buy new ones. There is also more third party mods for these things than most off-the-shelf "hobby grade" vehicles. Thousands of drivers + plethora of aftermarket manufacturers + 2 to 3 hundred website on the topic = Fandom!!!
My point is don't shoot down RS too soon, because I'm sure they've also read the million posts about how Mini-Zs blow XMODS away. They have us now, their certainly not gonna give us up!
just my .02
Old 08-22-2007, 08:33 AM

hmmm.... looks like theres more truck and domestic enthusiest in the xmod community than i expected....id imagine more import tuner kinda guys...

the only guidelines i would expect them to have is the new lineup will:

have something to do with another release(IE:transformers)

have something to do with a car manufactuers showcase lineup

im pretty sure i wont happen but i hope maybe they can bring some cars in like the 240sx, ae86, s14, sileigthy, or the prelude. maybe if we get lucky the release will be around the same time as the new fast and furious comes out :P
Old 08-22-2007, 10:27 AM
Elite member

i think it would be sweet to see an 07 suburban or tahoe of something (the suburban would have lots of space to have a 6- pr 7-cell upgrade, and still look clean.

Last edited by imnotmikal; 08-22-2007 at 09:31 PM..