Go Back   XmodSource.com > Xmods > XMOD Modification
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Gallery iTrader Today's Posts

Old 01-27-2005, 08:02 PM

Trader Rating: (0)
Default Motor question..

I have the stage 2 motors from rs.My question is are they all the same other then the pinion size because they all say 30k for the rpm or does the armatures have different size wire and different amount of turns in the winding? because from what i understand if the winding is single or double it would make a definate difference in torque vs speed..
Old 01-27-2005, 08:40 PM

Send a message via AIM to shortstuff22394
Default motor question

no. a s2 motor has stronger magnets but i think that the s2 may have more turns in it .dunno but the magnets are stronger for sure
Old 01-27-2005, 09:01 PM

Ya but are there any difference in the 4 stag 2 motors other then the pinion sizes? I noticed everybody says the blue one is the best setup but if i take the red one and change the pinion from the blue one to the red one would the red one then be the same as the blue one ? If so why didn't rs just make the pinions like the 1/10 scale where the pinions have a small hex set screw to make the pinions easy to switch.Seems to me that it would be easier if they just sold a stage 2 moter with the four gears red/blue/ ect...and four matching pinions insted of four seperate motors.You would just take the motor out and switch the spur gear and the matching pinion.Thats what i do with my 1/10 scale cars..
Old 01-27-2005, 09:13 PM
Stage 1 member

The s2 is NO different in any way shape or form from the s1, except for the number of turns on the armature (47 on an s2 versus 80 on a s1). The magnets arent any stronger, the brushes arent any different... nothing. The motors are exactly the same, just different pinions, and they couldn't charge as much if they just used 1 motor
Old 01-27-2005, 10:44 PM
Xmod Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by phred168
The s2 is NO different in any way shape or form from the s1, except for the number of turns on the armature (47 on an s2 versus 80 on a s1). The magnets arent any stronger, the brushes arent any different... nothing. The motors are exactly the same, just different pinions, and they couldn't charge as much if they just used 1 motor
You and shortstuff are both off. The first part of your post is right, the change is in windings, and it gets another 4k in revs. If you pull the pinions and stickers off all S2s, you cannot tell a difference. I'd suggest running an S2 red, since it gives a good balance of speed and power.
Old 01-28-2005, 02:36 AM
Elite member

Default S1/2 Differences

The stage 1 winding uses thinner wire.
I pulled both apart and tested them both in a (NEO) magnetized BB can with and without lithium cells.
The stage 1 motor turns pretty slow and the stage 2 turns really fast.

The pinion gear is like starting a car in first, second, third or forth gear.
The 11 tooth pinion is like overdrive but takes time to get off the start.
The 8 tooth pinion is VERY quick off the line, but tapers off quick.

Off point but on target, the size 18-16 battery wire or motor wire upgrade would also put punch in the sauce.
Old 01-28-2005, 05:00 PM
Stage 1 member

When i said the motors, i was referring to all s1s and all s2s independent of each other, not together.