Go Back   XmodSource.com > Mini & Micro > Mini & Micro Projects
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Gallery iTrader Today's Posts

Old 12-05-2008, 08:29 PM
Modifier

Trader Rating: (3)
Send a message via ICQ to Skv012a Send a message via AIM to Skv012a Send a message via Yahoo to Skv012a
Default White FD plus lights

Thinking of adapting XM light kit to a Z, but the dilema is how to mount the headlights into the open position pieces without sacrificing their swappability. Though of drilling the main light area until it connected with the screw hole, then maybe painting it some shiny color for reflection or stuffing some foil in there. To mount it, might have to fabricate a washer that would hold it in place since the screw post is longer than the body's hole for it.

Looking at Kyo light kit, I think its worth a try to simply cut off the RS connector and stick 2 wires to the motor's wires and have it draw power directly. I believe thats how Kyo kit works and the voltage cap might/should be same on the led board.

Thoughts?
Old 12-05-2008, 08:35 PM
Banned

Is that even possible?
Old 12-05-2008, 09:22 PM
That's what she said.

Trader Rating: (1)

Wouldn't it be easier to keep everything, drill light holes, fabricate them in, then just hide the wire when you don't need it? I don't think the RS light kit can take only 2 light sources because it needs one to power it, another to control if it's bright or dim and it goes both ways for the front and back lights.
Old 12-06-2008, 12:10 AM
Modifier

Send a message via ICQ to Skv012a Send a message via AIM to Skv012a Send a message via Yahoo to Skv012a

I'll use a voltometer when I get home to see how it works. If there won't be brightness, thats fine too, I could just get 2 wires and connect them to the power one. As far as simply adapting the lights, I want to keep the option of either open or closed position.
Old 12-07-2008, 02:50 PM
drifter and engineer

Trader Rating: (5)
Send a message via AIM to XMDrifter

just get the kyosho kit. don't bother with the xm lights.
Old 12-07-2008, 03:11 PM
Yes, 1945 Cadillac Tank

Send a message via AIM to texan_idiot25

The xmods and miniz use entirely different setups, I'd just go with mini-z lights

I may be king of the idiots, but my kingdom is vast and my subjects are everywhere
Old 12-07-2008, 03:15 PM
Ride By Day Race By Night

Trader Rating: (6)
Send a message via AIM to bigez

yes it can be done i have seen it done and i have done it if you need help pm me and i will walk you throught it

NOTHING BUT THE BEST

I AM A PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM MAGNUSON RACING
Old 12-07-2008, 06:00 PM
Modifier

Just post here if you don't mind, its useful info and on-topic.
Old 12-07-2008, 07:54 PM
[Not-your-day] - Badass

Send a message via AIM to noturday

gimme a minute and i'll edit this post with how i did mine

EDIT:
start off with a stock RS light kit. do the Constant Headlight mod (found here:http://www.xmodsforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=3517 full credit goes to Darwinfish) to both the headlights and taillights. this makes them stay bright all the time, and eliminates the need for 2 of the 4 wires going to the light kit.

after you have done that, you can take off the orange and yellow wires from the board (or leave them, they wont do anything though so i took them off)

after that i took a gen 1 board that was bad and stole the light connector plug from it.
i took off the red and brown wires, these lead to the orange and yellow on the light kit (can be confusing because the power wires here are orange and yellow where as they are black and red on the light kit)
after some dissasembly on my mini-z i hooked up the wires on the light plug to the + and - terminals coming from the battery tray (this makes the lights come on as soon as the chassis is turned on rather than having to hit the throttle to make them come on)

then i cut a hole in my chassis cover the size of the plug and put it in place and reassembled my chassis

after all of that is done you can put some batteries in the chassis, plug in the light kit, and turn it on, the lights should come on as soon as you turn the chassis on

hope that helps

Team XI

Last edited by noturday; 12-07-2008 at 08:10 PM..
Old 12-07-2008, 08:36 PM
Modifier

Quick questions- why is the anti-dim mod necessary and can I just connect the 2 wires of the light kit to the battery cradle contacts straight instead of adapting the connector?

And pix are ready:

Last edited by Skv012a; 12-07-2008 at 11:24 PM..
Old 12-08-2008, 09:48 AM
[Not-your-day] - Badass

it may not be necessary, but it gets rid of the use of those 2 wires and brings it down to just + and -
you could just solder the light kit to the terminals, but good luck getting your body off easily afterwards. the plug solves a lot of frustration

Team XI
Old 12-08-2008, 10:15 AM
Modifier

I might just get a generic + and - plug @ RS and wire that in. Don't have the luxury of guttin a XM, hence why I asked. Thanks for the tut.

last thing- So I basicly connect the black wires' solder points to the area where black block used to be? And do do this to both head and tail lights, I'd just connect both left and right sides together through the middle?

Last edited by Skv012a; 12-08-2008 at 03:59 PM..
Old 12-08-2008, 04:06 PM
[Not-your-day] - Badass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skv012a View Post
I might just get a generic + and - plug @ RS and wire that in. Don't have the luxury of guttin a XM, hence why I asked. Thanks for the tut.

last thing- So I basicly connect the black wires' solder points to the area where black block used to be? And do do this to both head and tail lights, I'd just connect both left and right sides together through the middle?
no, not from what i gathered from all of that, all you have to do is break the black block off and replace it with solder, it is what controls the dim/bright part, and after you remove it you just have to complete the circuit again with solder, pretty simple

Team XI
Old 12-08-2008, 06:37 PM
Modifier

So don't even have to connect the side blobs with the middle? Then what about tail lights, are they simply on the other side?