Go Back   XmodSource.com > Miscellaneous > Real Cars: Full scale
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Gallery iTrader Today's Posts

Old 06-21-2011, 10:53 AM
Banned

Trader Rating: (0)
Default ae86 engine rebuild...turbo???

ok guys my dads ae86 as had problems with brakes engine and paint coming off lately we took it to the shop and they said that we need to rebuild the engine new black paint job and painted red rotors on the new brakes....the rims we have on it are panasport old school.....im 13 so only 2 more years cant wait to drive it
Old 06-21-2011, 07:03 PM
Xmod Expert

Trader Rating: (8)
Send a message via AIM to winner

pics plz!

why not J2Z swap?

XBL Gamer Tag : Roar Pants
Old 06-21-2011, 07:59 PM
Banned

Send a message via AIM to Blade.

If you are having problems with your brakes, perhaps the pads are worn out..? Any metal to metal squeels when the brake pedal is pressed on? Indication of the pads being done. Is there any DOT3(4) in the master? If not, you might have a leak, is the pedal spongy feeling/goes to the floor without resistance? You will need to bleed your brakes if there is fluid in the master. Best bet from me, do the brakes yourself. Replace all the hard lines and the soft lines. Replace the calipers, pads, rotors, drums, shoes, springs, parking brake cables, pistons, master, fittings, etc.

The engine, is it knocking? Is it leaking oil? Does it have fuel, air, spark? Or is it missing one of those?

I know with my Camry, I cannot start the car up without the air intake being hooked up to the manifold, reason ; Mass Air Flow Sensor in the air box.

The paint is probably improper prep work to the body, and not properly cleaning the vehicle before applying primer, then sanding/scuffing the primer and then cleaning that, to lay down the paint on top of.

All of these things anyone person can do theirself in their own garage. Why waste the money on labour for? Learn to do it yourself, save $$$.

GM charges $65.00 for an oil change. Oil, filter and labour. Oil costs anywhere from $15.00 - $35.00, filters $2.50 - $5.00 if you do it yourself. I know the oil and filter GM uses are infact, cheap. The main cost is the labour itself.
Old 06-21-2011, 09:53 PM
Gen 1 junkie !

Trader Rating: (6)
Send a message via AIM to dontspamme Send a message via MSN to dontspamme

I sure hope you mean painted CALIPERS not ROTORS ! It might look cool, but your braking distance would equal a football field ! In my opinion, to do a full rebuild, paint job etc... wouldn't be worth it, as it's probably worth a lot more then the car. If it does have sentimental value to it, then go ahead and bring her back to life !

@ Winner, I think you're looking for the "2JZ" engine. And I'm sure OP doesn't want to do a lot of custom fabrication to install that engine in there.

@Blade, just adding onto the labour charges. Dealerships charge $80 up to $150 per hour just for labour. Doing a basic tune-up (oil, filter, plugs, brakes) would cost me about $100, but getting a dealership to do those, probably cost a arm and leg. Independent shops charge less ($60ish per hour) but it's still a lot more, then doing it yourself ! Plus, working on your own car is rewarding.

Last edited by dontspamme; 06-21-2011 at 09:56 PM..
Old 06-21-2011, 10:22 PM
Xmod Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by dontspamme View Post
@ Winner, I think you're looking for the "2JZ" engine. And I'm sure OP doesn't want to do a lot of custom fabrication to install that engine in there.
lol psh details, need to stop eating and posting lol...

but it was just an option, take it and run with it or forget it and go home

Old 06-22-2011, 01:50 PM
Banned

update:yes calipers my bad....color red
no new engine just a rebuild thinking of around300hp
we got new pads brand new brakes
paint is worn off because we havent built our garage yet workin on that
already painted
panasport rims nice and clean
pics soon as it gets home
Old 06-22-2011, 07:45 PM
Gen 1 junkie !

Trader Rating: (6)
Send a message via AIM to dontspamme Send a message via MSN to dontspamme

Quote:
Originally Posted by ae86boy View Post
update:yes calipers my bad....color red
no new engine just a rebuild thinking of around300hp
we got new pads brand new brakes
paint is worn off because we havent built our garage yet workin on that
already painted
panasport rims nice and clean
pics soon as it gets home
It's going to take a lot more then just a rebuild for 300hp. Forced induction is most likely the simple solution, but that might be pushing it as well. Stronger internals, driveline etc... etc... will be needed to support 300hp in that car. Check around forums and such to see whats needed for your goal. But I can tell you, it won't be cheap ! Good luck.
Old 06-24-2011, 02:40 PM
Yes, 1945 Cadillac Tank

Trader Rating: (5)
Send a message via AIM to texan_idiot25

AE86Boy, it'd behoove of you to not listen to Blade

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blade. View Post
swap rods to get it a shorter stroke
Why would you destroke a motor? With out changing anything else, all you've done is reduce the static compression ratio, and killed off displacement.
Quote:
AE86's are just as worthless as a brand new vehicle. Only difference is.. An older vehicle is old technology that isn't produced by the vehicle company, Toyota in this case.
Do you even understand what you're saying?
Quote:
How worn out are these AE86's going for 10,000 pounds?
Supply and demand is a crazy thing, especially with cars like the AE86 with its (over rated) drifter reputation. He didn't explicitly state a worn out AE86 fetching 10k as well.

Quote:
20V is better, but the 16V is just as good. The engine in my Camry came in the Toyota Celica's does that mean it's a good engine? Nope, it's a piece. It vibrates like there is no tomorrow at idle. Do I care? Nope. It's a PoS, and I just drive it because it gets really good fuel mileage. Will I get all of the money I put into it back? Not unless I sold it to a complete moron, then yes. Yes I would.
Congratulations, you own a poorly engineered car. Truth is, all 4 bangers are rough at idle, they're naturally unbalanced engines. Some are able to hide it with soft motor mounts, balance shafts, and the like but they're all rough.

Complaining about NVH in an 80s economy car is useless.

I may be king of the idiots, but my kingdom is vast and my subjects are everywhere
Old 06-25-2011, 12:56 PM
Banned

ok ok bad news and good news bad news shop is working on it cant get pics good news is that the car is making amazing progrees btw engine is stock jus upgrading cams valves rebuilding the engine with new parts were trying to keep it as original as possible
also i dont understand the 86 is worthless people were giving som e respectable offers for my car
pics asap sorry for delay i hope u uinderstand
Old 06-25-2011, 02:29 PM
Advance member

Trader Rating: (2)

all 4 bangers are rough at idle that is just crazy its todo with the ignition system on the car its needs time on a dyno to get it running right and i just said these cars are reaching that sort of money i didnt say what shape they were in even a half decent one would run you in the regoin of £5k here
Old 06-25-2011, 09:06 PM
Banned

Ok first of all, how am i a liar? my dads mechanics place is an hour away from our house. the shop only works on one car at a time the rest of the time the cars are kept in the back where you need to get a key from a guy who only works there on wednesday. he is in charge of keeping the cars safe ok. wednesdays my dad works hes a firefighter. also, im not allowed to use my moms eos rebel 1000 dollar camera....is that good enough for u?
This car my dad has owned since his sophmore year of highschool the sentimental value is incredibly high
sorry bout pics plz be paitient ill get them when my dad takes me to work again and when i actually get to use the camera.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dontspamme View Post
It's going to take a lot more then just a rebuild for 300hp. Forced induction is most likely the simple solution, but that might be pushing it as well. Stronger internals, driveline etc... etc... will be needed to support 300hp in that car. Check around forums and such to see whats needed for your goal. But I can tell you, it won't be cheap ! Good luck.
ik were getting a turbo...thanks for everything bro

Quote:
Originally Posted by xmod noob View Post
all 4 bangers are rough at idle that is just crazy its todo with the ignition system on the car its needs time on a dyno to get it running right and i just said these cars are reaching that sort of money i didnt say what shape they were in even a half decent one would run you in the regoin of £5k here
were taking it to a guy who is going to tune it on the dyno when the car is done

Last edited by DRFTKO; 06-26-2011 at 01:15 PM.. Reason: multiple posts
Old 06-25-2011, 09:52 PM
Xmod Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by ae86boy View Post
ok ok bad news and good news bad news shop is working on it cant get pics good news is that the car is making amazing progrees btw engine is stock jus upgrading cams valves rebuilding the engine with new parts were trying to keep it as original as possible
also i dont understand the 86 is worthless people were giving som e respectable offers for my car
pics asap sorry for delay i hope u uinderstand
glad to hear the car is doing well in "rehab" its going to be a cool car when your done with it.

Last edited by winner; 06-25-2011 at 09:54 PM..
Old 06-26-2011, 01:29 PM
XMS Admin

Trader Rating: (35)
Send a message via MSN to zippo855 Send a message via Yahoo to zippo855

wow, this thread has gotten WAY outta hand. chill people. there is different people from different countries here. and not all english is spoken the same way. the difference in tires / tyres etc. you can't try and belittle someone because they do not speak the exact same english as you.
this kid is just being excited and wanting to talk about the car he is getting / has been given. but we cant even leave it at that? thread will be cleaned up and any actions that need to be taken will.

TEAM X.I.
my massive collection of xmods
http://www.xmodsource.com/forum/showthread.php?t=13526
Old 06-29-2011, 03:16 PM
Banned

bad news guys one of the workers dropped something on the car and it now is scratched and dented working on getting that fixed
Old 06-29-2011, 08:17 PM
MEOWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW

Hold On!!!! I think you might just have a loose Flux Capacitor. That would explain the power loss from the engine. Also the Flux pins being loose maybe cause large amounts of EMI that is making the paint peal off. Have this checked before paying for any thing.

Ok I'm just kidding, but your list of problems to their solutions don't seem to add up to me?
Old 07-13-2011, 12:52 PM

While 2JZ in AE86 is beastly and possible...I think the overall idea of 300HP in an AE86 is excessive for daily driving...

In fact, given the AE86's weight and options these days (thanks to Initial D and the whole Touge scene), I personally think it don't need that much HP to be a fun/fast car to drive. As such, I think NA (natural aspiration) is better suited for the AE86 given its driving characteristics (also less fabrication and reliability concerns). Just something to think about.
Old 07-26-2011, 01:59 PM
Banned

Alright guys, I've been out of town for 3 weeks sorry for no updates because of that. first off the pain problem was natural from wearing out. that has been fixed repainted. itzlinky do to money and how much things cost we decided to now to hit 250 hp. engine has been rebuilt. leak has been fixed. and favtory interior has been bought brand new and installed. we also have bought the original rims to. current rims are panasports. so thats it pix i promisse will come when i see the car in a month.
Old 07-29-2011, 02:58 PM
Banned

Get a boom turbo and strap that onto the 4AG engine like on initial D. BTW is the car a Levin or a Trueno?
Old 09-04-2011, 09:47 PM
Banned

its levin and also guys um were paying little by little so it s gonna be a while before pics so far they have been currently working on interior all factory stuff