Go Back   XmodSource.com > Xmods > XMOD Projects
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Gallery iTrader Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-11-2010, 04:45 PM
Working Class Hero

Trader Rating: (32)
Send a message via MSN to TripleXmodder(akaXXX)
Default XXX: Project DRIFT KNG

Well this will be my first full on drift car build, top to bottom. Any suggestions from the expert drifters are totally welcome and appreciated. This is a build for XMS member KNGIZM and should be a fun new build for me, I hope you enjoy.

Plans:
-Starting Platform-- Xmod Street Chassis (Stock)
-imod PCB swap w/ FET upgrade and Transmiter
-Lithium
-AWD
-Bearings
-Pro wiring
-? Suspension and Chassis mods ?
-GPM parts
-Body Mod
-Drift tires and new kicks
-???
-? Motor ?

I hope KING doesn't mid Im going to let my son train on this project..LOL

XXX FREE modding Service: http://www.xmodsource.com/forum/showthread.php?t=17800
PM me for a quote or any questions. HAPPY MODDING

100% Positive Itrader feedback http://www.xmodsource.com/forum/itrader.php?u=6901
Old 12-11-2010, 05:50 PM
Xmod Expert

Trader Rating: (8)
Send a message via AIM to winner

sounds like a cool project, but these are just my persona preferance

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripleXmodder(akaXXX) View Post
Plans:
-Starting Platform-- Xmod Street Chassis (Stock)
-imod PCB swap w/ FET upgrade and Transmiter
-Lithium i think its too much power and for drift would cause too much steering jitter, but mostly because im against LiPo on xmods
-AWD
-Bearings
-Pro wiring
-? Suspension and Chassis mods ? drop kit from the suspension tuning kit, red springs up front, blue in the rear
-GPM parts full drive train knuckles, etc, even tie rod incase you hit any walls. also anything around the motoe to help with cooling
-Body Mod
-Drift tires and new kicks i like atomic, but for RCP i hear GPM drift tires with a PN motor are unbeatable
-???
-? Motor ? speedy 05 BB seems to work best for me

XBL Gamer Tag : Roar Pants
Old 12-11-2010, 07:41 PM
Modifier

Trader Rating: (3)
Send a message via ICQ to Skv012a Send a message via AIM to Skv012a Send a message via Yahoo to Skv012a

Of all things, drifting is 120% skill and -20 setup here. A bone stock car with torque'y gearing, AWD, and plastic tires is all you need. At most on top are some springs and ride height adjustment(but depends on the surface too). Too much speed is uncontrollable on plastic tires and the motors with best torque are the stock/low end ones anyway.

That said, just decal the heck of out some body, add xmod suspension kit, either xmod drift kit or mini-z wheel+drift tire port mod, and its good to go.
Old 12-11-2010, 07:55 PM
Working Class Hero

Good points.. I considered all those options. I was planning on going with a Speedy 05BB (I use those for everything) KHG wants some Lith power, so for this build Im going to make a pack using the AAA size liths.. It will be able to run some good Nimh AAA cells for drifting, and he will be able to just pop in some Liths for fun when ever wanted. Im not going full force with the GPM, it's expensive so Ill just be doing a few key parts. Right now I have the drift kit, but I was hoping to get suggestions for tires (And I got a few.. Ill have to check those out.. I will be making a custom TriX chassis, just started looking it over though. Thanks for the suggestions.

XXX FREE modding Service: http://www.xmodsource.com/forum/showthread.php?t=17800

100% Positive Itrader feedback http://www.xmodsource.com/forum/itrader.php?u=6901
Old 12-11-2010, 08:51 PM
Elite member

Quote:
Good points.. I considered all those options. I was planning on going with a Speedy 05BB (I use those for everything) KHG wants some Lith power, so for this build Im going to make a pack using the AAA size liths.. It will be able to run some good Nimh AAA cells for drifting, and he will be able to just pop in some Liths for fun when ever wanted. Im not going full force with the GPM, it's expensive so Ill just be doing a few key parts. Right now I have the drift kit, but I was hoping to get suggestions for tires (And I got a few.. Ill have to check those out.. I will be making a custom TriX chassis, just started looking it over though. Thanks for the suggestions.
since lipo is 3.7 volts per AAA, it would have to be rewired in 2p2s. How do you plan to make the switch easy since standard Nimh are 1.5V and need to be in 4s configuration? I mean I know you can wire it up but "just pop in lipo when he wants to have some fun" is what I'm not understanding.
Old 12-11-2010, 09:00 PM
Working Class Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Action B View Post
since lipo is 3.7 volts per AAA, it would have to be rewired in 2p2s. How do you plan to make the switch easy since standard Nimh are 1.5V and need to be in 4s configuration? I mean I know you can wire it up but "just pop in lipo when he wants to have some fun" is what I'm not understanding.
Yes your correct.. What Im planning to do is this.... Ok, the AAA battery tray on the bottom of the Xmod, You know the 4 little tabs that hold it on, that you cut off the chassis after popping the tray off so you can install Lipo.. Well.. for this mod I will first do that. 2nd.: I will keep the original tray and where the + and - wires were soldered to the tray and to the board, I will make a deans harness. 3rd I will make a second tray (using a old tray I have here.. I will cut the battery tabs out of it and reconfigure them into a 2p2s set up for 4 AAA liths. This tray will also have the deans harnes to plug it to the board. Either ttray can be swapped out just by unscrewing the 2 little screws on the bottom.. BAM done.. great questions.

Old 12-11-2010, 10:00 PM
Elite member

Quote:
Yes your correct.. What Im planning to do is this.... Ok, the AAA battery tray on the bottom of the Xmod, You know the 4 little tabs that hold it on, that you cut off the chassis after popping the tray off so you can install Lipo.. Well.. for this mod I will first do that. 2nd.: I will keep the original tray and where the + and - wires were soldered to the tray and to the board, I will make a deans harness. 3rd I will make a second tray (using a old tray I have here.. I will cut the battery tabs out of it and reconfigure them into a 2p2s set up for 4 AAA liths. This tray will also have the deans harnes to plug it to the board. Either ttray can be swapped out just by unscrewing the 2 little screws on the bottom.. BAM done.. great questions.
Thats a pretty cool idea. I did it in my MA-010 by wiring up a deans plug to the positive and negative wires going to the board and just using a lipo that went in the stock AAA spot. This wouldn't likely work so well on an xmod evo but is a great option for MA-010 or Xmod gen.1.

BTW cute kid.
Old 12-11-2010, 10:24 PM
Working Class Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Action B View Post
Thats a pretty cool idea. I did it in my MA-010 by wiring up a deans plug to the positive and negative wires going to the board and just using a lipo that went in the stock AAA spot. This wouldn't likely work so well on an xmod evo but is a great option for MA-010 or Xmod gen.1.

BTW cute kid.
Thanks, he's a BA kid

Ok, so did a little work.. took the stock PCB out and the Battery tray..

One idea for the body, just a Nissan I had laying around.. KNG wants the paint to be Black and purple.. I am thinking about doing a scheme with those colors to match this Autoscale Nissan (Or at least for inspiration and direction) on this black Xmod nissan.

Old 12-11-2010, 11:46 PM
Elite member

I love the Motul pitwork body. I used to have one but it suffered death during a race. I think thats great inspiration to say the least.

Also, winner, you won't get servo jitter with the Z board and I assume not with the iwaver board.
Old 12-12-2010, 12:04 AM
Advance member

Trader Rating: (0)
Default Updates

keep us updated
Old 12-12-2010, 11:58 AM
king

Send a message via Yahoo to Kngizm

Lots of great ideas. I like the way everyone has a little input. This is going to be a great car. Can't wait till it's done lol
Old 12-12-2010, 01:13 PM
Working Class Hero

Waiting on a new PCB to arrive (Should be here in a day or 2) and I can get into the build a bit more.

Old 12-12-2010, 02:31 PM
king

No problem xxx. I'm in no rush and don't want you to be either. I like where you're going with the body idea. I also like the Mercedes amg ( black) idea but like I said it's your call. I want it to be unique and a beast at drifting. My buddies will get a rude awakening with this car. Lol, they have been drifting all week and talking smack about putting money on the track. They all went and got all the radioshack upgrades and think I'm scared of bringing my car to the track but little do they know that my car is at the shop getting hopped up by one of the best. Thanks xxx
Old 12-18-2010, 11:37 PM
Working Class Hero

Well.. I installed the PCB.. (Sorry didn't take photos.. Ill get some up) and re-configured the AAA battery tray to 2s2p for the AAA Liths.. So it will be 7.4v 1000mah, when the Lith Tray is installed.

Here is the Tray and the AAA Liths. Took all the tabs out.

Here, is one of the new tabs for the 2s2p config.

Here is the tray, finished. Now 2s2p setup.. easy day.

With the AAA Liths installed.. Good contact on everything.

Just an underside shot. Had to do some dremeling and a little cutting.

This is how the configuration is for 2s2p, if you want to know, or didn't know.

Last edited by TripleXmodder(akaXXX); 12-18-2010 at 11:43 PM..
Old 12-19-2010, 10:17 PM
Working Class Hero

Just a quick post showing the AAA Lith 2s2p pack is working and can be charged right in the tray. Green light = fully charged, and working.

Old 12-20-2010, 01:42 AM
Xmod Expert

Send a message via AIM to winner

looking really good X! i like how its set up to run nimh and liths! if you dont mind me asking, when its running 2s2p how many volts is it putting to the board?

XBL Gamer Tag : Roar Pants
Old 12-20-2010, 01:43 AM
Gen 1 junkie !

Trader Rating: (6)
Send a message via AIM to dontspamme Send a message via MSN to dontspamme

On the list of the modifications, for "drift tires" I'm assuming you mean the hard plastic ones which companies have to offer. But, my suggestion is to used hard rubber tires, they do yield more grip but it's easier to control and isn't so loud when being ran.

Build is coming along nicely, hopefully there aren't any "oops" along the way !
Old 12-20-2010, 03:36 AM
Working Class Hero

Thanks guys.. It is 7.4v 1000mah...

Wasn't sure yet.. I have a set of the Xmod drift wheels/wires, but I was thinking to get some hard drift tires.. any suggestions.? and well, there is always at least one oops... just gotta push through.

Old 12-21-2010, 10:33 AM
drifter and engineer

Trader Rating: (5)
Send a message via AIM to XMDrifter

the kyosho ones are pretty consistent, as are the GPM ones. the RS tires are half decent, though the clearance is TINY. so i'd say you'll want some ridgeless wheels, either modified RS ones with the ridges shaved off, or retail ones from GPM or Atomic or the like. btw, the drift tires fit super super tight, so if you don't like the prospect of having to rubber-mallet them onto your wheels, shave your wheels diameter a little and use a more compressible medium like tape for a friction fit
Old 12-21-2010, 10:41 AM
king

Looking good x