Go Back   XmodSource.com > Xmods > XMOD Projects
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Gallery iTrader Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-14-2008, 11:08 PM

Trader Rating: (0)
Default Sidewinder's Skyline Fix and Finish Project

Well most of you I imagine have seen the pictures of my Gen 1 Skyline, but in case you haven't, here are some pictures of it:

I had issues with the cheap plastic lugs nuts breaking, which actually caused the wheel to fly of and broke the mirror and two other lug nuts. After this happened I boxed the car and kinda forgot about it. I found it recently and now I'm working on fixing it!

Update:

I just recently found the two nylon bearings I was missing, which is fantastic because now I can get car running again. I want to get upgraded metal bearings and locking wheel lugs, but for not I'm going to run the nylon bearings and make sure the car still works (though I doubt that will be an issue). I found a tutorial online for cheap locking wheel lugs, which I'm going to use temporarily until I can order the bearings and locking lugs.

After I check to make sure everything works I'll start working on some of the modifications I have planned. So soon here the car should be back in drivable condition!
Old 10-14-2008, 11:22 PM
Advance member

Trader Rating: (1)
Send a message via MSN to F-100CuStOmCaB

I have a black skyline, I just love the thing barely drive it. But one of my mirrors was broken off by I think just clipping the leg of the chair so I glued it back on and guess what not long after that I clipped the chair again and broke. I just never glued it back on or put a new one in cuz the same thing would prolly happen again LOL. I just bought some chep metal lug nutz off ebay for like $1-2 a set. I really like them, mainly bought them because I was almost out of the cheap plactic ones lol.

New to me, then used by me, now NEW again, Weird!!

Last edited by F-100CuStOmCaB; 10-14-2008 at 11:29 PM..
Old 10-15-2008, 03:30 PM
is going fishin'

Trader Rating: (4)
Send a message via AIM to wadethejuggalo

could you give a link of the wheel nuts??
Old 10-15-2008, 04:02 PM
Freedom Provider

Trader Rating: (5)
Send a message via Yahoo to XmodzICON82

here is a couple of links for the lug nuts....

http://www.xmodsinternational.com/US...MINUMPARTS.htm

http://www.atomicmods.com/Categories...and-Tires.aspx

hope this helps you out wade....
Old 10-15-2008, 05:31 PM
drifter and engineer

Send a message via AIM to XMDrifter

actually, you can get the 2/56 steel hex nuts from radioshack, and you can get the bearings chaper than ebay at vxb.com

but nice. i have a skyline, and i love it to peices man. literally
i'm in the same procces as you are, just more complex problems
Old 10-16-2008, 01:08 AM

Well, if all goes well I should have it running by the weekend. I'll get pictures and possibly a video when I do!
Old 10-16-2008, 08:56 PM
washed-up, retired, cool.

Trader Rating: (1)

Definitely go for the 2-56 nuts and bearings from VXB. Those will get you started off well. After that, invest in a quality motor (Talk to RedSXmodder for more info.) and maybe an FET upgrade if you're looking to increase the performance beyond Radioshack standards.

Old 10-18-2008, 12:12 AM
drifter and engineer

Send a message via AIM to XMDrifter

if you'd like, i could stack fets for you if you'd just pay for shipping of the parts (i got the tools and i'd do it for free cuz i just like doing this stuff.)
Old 10-18-2008, 04:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by XMDrifter View Post
if you'd like, i could stack fets for you if you'd just pay for shipping of the parts (i got the tools and i'd do it for free cuz i just like doing this stuff.)
I will def keep that in mind, right now though I don't have any money.

Well, I went shopping today to get a few things I needed. for the car (mainly the lugs) and I ended up splurging a bit. I bought the lugs, and a cold heat soldering iron to work on the electronics. I also got new rechargeable NiMH batteries because one of my old rechargeables was in my mp3 player that got stolen so I only have 3.

They are actually still charging upstairs so I grabbed a couple regular Alkaline AAAs to test the car out after I got the wheels on. Everything seems to be working great, I just need to a good run test and then I can continue working on it!

Here are the pictures with the body back on:

Old 11-08-2009, 08:53 PM

Wow, so it's been a year since I updated this. School and many other factors have kept me away from this thing. Anyway, time to update my new project.

I haven't touched the car since last year, but I got the chassis all ready to go, and also bought LEDs to make fog lights and bought a tight turn mod for it as well (though that vanished mysteriously in the move).

I pondered what I was going to do next (aside from metal bearings) to make this unique. I was shifting through my stuff and found a couple of my old model kits lying around and began thinking, maybe I could modify one of the bodies to fit?

Out of the 3 I found, the one I liked the most was this:

As the box says, it is a model of a GMC Syclone.

Its a model kit that is no longer in production, and I didn't really mind cutting up since I mauled it as a child. I shifted through the box and all of the body panels are still in it, its missing some of the engine parts but I think I'm going to raid one of my other half completed models for that end of it provided I have enough room.

In order for the body to fit the chassis I had to take half an inch out of the truck bed parts (fenders, ground effects, bed cover). I trimmed the pieces and taped the back end together to check the fitment. I need to sand down the cut edges so they are smooth and sit flush but here is how it looks right now (sorry for the terrible pictures I'll get better ones later):

Once I get the body roughly on I need to decide whether I am going to glue them together or use bondo. Then I want to sand them all down to remove the current paint (which is HORRID, the pictures actually make it look better than it is) and repaint it once I decide on a colour. After that it will be the small touches of adding the light lenses and windows and possibly an engine and interior depending on space.

Last edited by Sidewinder; 11-08-2009 at 08:55 PM..
Old 11-08-2009, 09:00 PM
Banned

Trader Rating: (14)

you can make it fit better with chassis extenders on the EVO line. A little custom extension wont hurt on gEn 1.