Go Back   XmodSource.com > Miscellaneous > Off-Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Gallery iTrader Today's Posts

Old 09-28-2009, 06:24 PM
Stage 2 member

Trader Rating: (0)
Default school

Has anybody else heard about Obama is gonna try to make our school days longer or the wheek longer? i kinda doubt it but not sure just thought i would ask all you lol.
Old 09-28-2009, 09:01 PM
XMS Administrator

Trader Rating: (5)

As long as this stays on topic, I think it will be a decent discussion.
Old 09-28-2009, 09:14 PM
That's what she said.

Trader Rating: (1)

I heard about it. Personally, I don't think that extending the school days/ hours is going to help. The problem is that our schools don't push students hard enough, and eventually, it boils down the the students themselves. Students in Taiwan, China, Japan, Korea, etc. usually try to strive and be the best, number one in their class, while just a few don't care about their schooling. However, in American, many students don't really care that much about their education, while a few value it and take advantage of it.

In order to make our schools better, it's not the number of school days, but how we are taught and the way we can we convinced and pushed to become better students.
Old 09-28-2009, 09:19 PM
Elite member

Most likely a rumor.

The day/week/year is set by your own school district, the government just gives them a ballpark amount of hours you need for each class.
Old 09-28-2009, 09:19 PM
Stage 2 member

i know i personally dont think it matters on time. we had a foreign exchange student from Japan and he said they are pushed really really hard. He showed me some of the work it was so much but anyways you have good opinions but i just dont think he's doing a good job such as health care, because where is the gov't gonna get money were in trilions in dollars of debt from wars so i just dont get either situation lol sorry for the long reply.
Old 09-28-2009, 09:23 PM
XMS Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by taiwanesekid05 View Post
I heard about it. Personally, I don't think that extending the school days/ hours is going to help. The problem is that our schools don't push students hard enough, and eventually, it boils down the the students themselves. Students in Taiwan, China, Japan, Korea, etc. usually try to strive and be the best, number one in their class, while just a few don't care about their schooling. However, in American, many students don't really care that much about their education, while a few value it and take advantage of it.

In order to make our schools better, it's not the number of school days, but how we are taught and the way we can we convinced and pushed to become better students.
This... I agree with. I have 3 kids in school so although school has long passed me by, i still have an opinion.
Old 09-28-2009, 09:24 PM
XMS Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by The devils playground View Post
but anyways you have good opinions but i just dont think he's doing a good job such as health care, because where is the gov't gonna get money were in trilions in dollars of debt from wars so i just dont get either situation lol sorry for the long reply.
This has nothing to do with the discussion, this needs to remain ON topic. We do not allow political discussions, as long as this stays on the topic at hand it can remain open.
Old 09-28-2009, 09:36 PM
MEOWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW

I'm against it, because I'm against any thing thats gonning to raise my taxes.

this is the article.
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090927/...us_more_school
Old 09-28-2009, 10:04 PM
Subaru Nut

Trader Rating: (7)

I am in school and im against it. I know it might seem like im only saying this cause i don't want to go to school but i see it like this...

start rant...

I see it as the longer we are in school the more bored and tired and the less you will listen or pay attention.

But if they decressed the amount of hours we wont become so tired.

I think it would be cool if it school was just monday,tuesday,thursday,friday.

this was monday through tuesday we learn and then wed we have off so we can catch up and so we can rest up so that way we won't be so tired. then thursday through friday.

even if the teachers gave a small project on wed even still we would not be so tired

end rant...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donziikid View Post
You can't fix stupid.
MY TUTORIALS
SNOW PLOW
HUMMER DROP HITCH
DULLY TIRE TUT
Old 09-28-2009, 10:06 PM
Xmod Expert

Trader Rating: (8)
Send a message via AIM to winner

lenthining school hours is a terrible idea, im in 9th grade and i sit in a desk for 7 hours mon-friday, and con sidering that we have 180 school days a year.. 7x180= 1260.. thats 1260 hours a year we spend sitting at desks all day. do you really think you want to add more to that, and for example, take how ever much you make on your pay check and times it by 1260.. that how much money you could make instead of sitting at school all day.

and yes i have a summer job.

XBL Gamer Tag : Roar Pants

Last edited by winner; 09-28-2009 at 10:14 PM..
Old 09-28-2009, 10:12 PM
Elite member

That last post made me agree with the Pres.
"lenthining"
"con sidering"

:P
I'm just picking on you.

And here's how I see it.
Kind of agreeing with whoever said we get bored/tired in school.
Instead of 7 hours a day, for Mon-Fri, I personally think it should be Mon-Sat, but only 4 1/2 to 5 hours a day, starting no earlier than 10am.

Last edited by imnotmikal; 09-28-2009 at 10:14 PM..
Old 09-28-2009, 10:12 PM
Yes, 1945 Cadillac Tank

Send a message via AIM to texan_idiot25

The government has no control over state regulations. But they do have control over the state's federal funding. See the pickle? Hence why we have no autobahn.

And stop *****ing about 7 hour school days. What are you gonna do when you have a job? Count that many of your honor students have many extra-curricular activities tacked onto even harder classes, and they do just fine with sleep.

I may be king of the idiots, but my kingdom is vast and my subjects are everywhere
Old 09-28-2009, 10:20 PM
Elite member

Trader Rating: (7)
Send a message via AIM to monsterhunter

I was actually talking about this to some friends a few days ago. im really against this idea, seeing it wouldnt really benefit us at all. because if you make school longer and more days also, then the kids that already hate school will just hate it even more. and the ones who do like it and do good, just get stressed out even more with no real break to calm em down( I.E summer vacation). I know what its like for both sides since i dont care that ,such any way, and half of my friends are those who need to do good in school, they are always so stressed out, you can never really have a good conversation until the summer when they actually dont have to work all the dang time. Also, as one of my very smart friends said, he really cant do anything about the education seeing that it is state run, not government run. and theres my lecture on this subject. now i av to right an English paper.
Old 09-28-2009, 10:33 PM
That's what she said.

Quote:
Originally Posted by texan_idiot25 View Post
The government has no control over state regulations. But they do have control over the state's federal funding. See the pickle? Hence why we have no autobahn.
That's what I thought...

What I find strange is that while this talk about extending school days and hours is going on during the recession and schools are getting their funds cut left and right. California is even discussing cutting a week off of school to save money, much less than extending school days and hours to suck up the rest of the nearly nonexistent money California has.
Old 09-28-2009, 10:43 PM
Yes, 1945 Cadillac Tank

California is a good example of why left-heavy ideals are not so grand and tend to run a debt that can't be paid. Cali taxes and does everything to bring revenue these days and is still on the edge of going broke as a state.

I may be king of the idiots, but my kingdom is vast and my subjects are everywhere
Old 09-28-2009, 10:43 PM
XMS Administrator

Send a message via AIM to Donziikid

Over the course of my education the school days have been lengthened and lengthened each and every year; whether it be by school choice or push from State mandated curriculum. Also, to my understanding, much of this State mandated curriculum is pushed by the Federal Government. From this I can see how while the Federal Government cannot make rules or regulations stating schools must go from certain time to certain time, but they can otherwise have a major influence on what is going on within the schools.

Sadly, it could happen.. Thankfully, I will have graduated by the time it does happen..

Cheers,
Kyle.

Greyscale Racing Member

The Collection:
Mitsubishi Pajero | AE RC18MT
TLMicroCrawler | Xmod ShowRoom | 'Yota XTruck
"The fun begins when the pavement ends."

Old 09-28-2009, 10:54 PM
That's what she said.

Quote:
Originally Posted by texan_idiot25 View Post
California is a good example of why left-heavy ideals are not so grand and tend to run a debt that can't be paid. Cali taxes and does everything to bring revenue these days and is still on the edge of going broke as a state.
Plus that fact that they pay way too much for state employees. Firemen, even though their job is important, receive around $80,000 to $100,000 a year in salary, almost as much as my dad makes being a programmer. And my city paied nearly $250,000 plus divorce fees to my superintendent because they wanted her to still be the superintendent and that other good superintendents would be more expensive.
Old 09-28-2009, 11:05 PM
Yes, 1945 Cadillac Tank

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donziikid View Post
Over the course of my education the school days have been lengthened and lengthened each and every year; whether it be by school choice or push from State mandated curriculum. Also, to my understanding, much of this State mandated curriculum is pushed by the Federal Government. From this I can see how while the Federal Government cannot make rules or regulations stating schools must go from certain time to certain time, but they can otherwise have a major influence on what is going on within the schools.
They do it by bribing federal funding. "You can do what you want, but I won't give you money if you don't take my suggestion". Hence, speed limits, my reference to the autobahn.

Old 09-28-2009, 11:07 PM
Stage 2 member

good opinions i agree with the people that were talking about the cost of it because if we go longer days or weeks it will cost more and i know sports is just a side thing and doesnt matter but thats one of the main reasons kids do sports and it might cut that down but idk we'll see what happens.
Old 09-28-2009, 11:19 PM
That's what she said.

If Obama really wants students in the U.S. to catch up with the world, what he has to do now is to restructure the education system. Sure, it's a bit far reaching and a bit like the No Child Left Behind act thingy, but it's the fact that schools don't educate children enough. Kids from Europe already know all the countries in Europe (well, they kinda have to) while kids in the U.S. barely know where all 50 states are, much less than where the countries are in Europe. And a teacher once said to my class that his smartest student was from China and he knew more about the U.S. than other kids in his class did.

So, once again, in order to make kids in the U.S. smarter, change the education system to broaden topics and make things just a smidge harder for the students so they will learn more and over time be able to catch up with the rest of the world.