Go Back   XmodSource.com > Mini & Micro > General Mini & Micro
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Gallery iTrader Today's Posts

Old 02-26-2009, 08:28 PM
Mini-Z Drifter

Trader Rating: (8)

I scraped away some of the board to expose some of the connection and soldered a small piece of wire to it. I don't think it worked, or maybe I didn't solder the fets on right
Old 02-26-2009, 08:30 PM
Elite member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkylineLvr View Post
I scraped away some of the board to expose some of the connection and soldered a small piece of wire to it. I don't think it worked, or maybe I didn't solder the fets on right
This is where a multimeter would be very helpful. You need to check for continuance to see where your issue is. Not only can you make sure there is no bridging, but you can test to see if the FETs leg is properly connected to the board.

If you have any questions let me know, if you don't feel comfortable messing with it further you can send it to me and I'll do my best with it.
Old 02-26-2009, 08:32 PM
Mini-Z Drifter

Yeah, I don't have one that works. I should have just waited. I wanted to get so many upgrades for it, now I got to try to get it fixed or buy a new board
Old 02-26-2009, 08:34 PM
Elite member

Quote:
Yeah, I don't have one that works. I should have just waited. I wanted to get so many upgrades for it, now I got to try to get it fixed or buy a new board
Well, if you want to pick one up, I got mine at walmart, its great. Only 20 bucks and it does everything.

I have a spare car too and I could maybe help you out with a new board, lets just see if we can't get this one working first.
Old 02-26-2009, 08:35 PM
Mini-Z Drifter

Can I send it to you? Do you have time to try and fix it?
Old 02-26-2009, 09:20 PM
Elite member

Quote:
Hey if you don't mind, which leg did you have a problem with. Consider the front of the board being the front of the car and the FETs labeld A and B. Like this

1234 1234
(A)---(B)
5678 5678

The formatting won't turn out right but
which pad did you have the problem with?

Last edited by Action B; 02-26-2009 at 09:24 PM..
Old 02-27-2009, 03:38 AM
Mini-Z Drifter

It would be on B-3. The side that is closest to the diode
Old 02-27-2009, 10:24 AM
Elite member

Quote:
It would be on B-3. The side that is closest to the diode
Wow, that IS a tough spot. Its okay though, I have an idea.
Old 02-27-2009, 10:31 AM
Mini-Z Drifter

Yeah tell me about it. I'm thinking it might not be repairable
Old 02-27-2009, 11:15 AM
Elite member

Quote:
Yeah tell me about it. I'm thinking it might not be repairable

I found a spot to run a jumper wire on the other end of the board. If you have a camera that is good enough take a picture of your PCB and i can show you where it is. Some other guys have had success with repairs like this. It is taking a chance but it might be all you've got. The repair is similar to the ones in the below link, but different as its a different pad. I didnt' find any specific references to fixing the particular pad you lifted, so I think were about to make one.

I was going to use this picture to show you were YOUR jumper wire could run, but the board is different. So this is just an example.

I ordered 25 more 8858 FETs last night and sent them priority mail. So my FET stock won't be an issue.

Last edited by Action B; 02-27-2009 at 11:18 AM..
Old 02-27-2009, 11:24 AM
Mini-Z Drifter

I've already sent it out to you. Do what you can. If you can't fix it, do you have a spare board you could sell me?
Old 02-27-2009, 11:34 AM
Elite member

Quote:
I've already sent it out to you. Do what you can. If you can't fix it, do you have a spare board you could sell me?
Well.. again, I run into the issue that the extra board I have was given to me. Let me think about this for a bit. Right now I have all intentions of giving your board back to you with a functional 2x3 stack. I feel 80 percent certain I can fix it.
Old 02-27-2009, 11:43 AM
Mini-Z Drifter

Sounds good to me. I wish I knew people that you know, I like free stuff, lol. I hope you can fix it. I'm bummed out that my Mini-Z is in pieces boxed up right now.
Old 02-27-2009, 11:45 AM
Elite member

Quote:
Sounds good to me. I wish I knew people that you know, I like free stuff, lol. I hope you can fix it. I'm bummed out that my Mini-Z is in pieces boxed up right now.
Well, these people are my friends. You can meet them too just come down to myrtle beach on the 7th. On the minizracer forums I have personally met a lot of the members. We travel to race with each other and race every now and again. People from all over are going to that Myrtle beach race. So when they have extra parts they aren't using, or when my car is broken, a lot of times they are willing to help me out. Because of this generosity I have seen, I've been doing FETs for free. I can't afford as much parts or cars as some of those guys, but I can offer my services.

You took your car apart?

Last edited by Action B; 02-27-2009 at 11:49 AM..
Old 02-27-2009, 12:16 PM
Mini-Z Drifter

That's awesome. I think the wife and I will make the trip down. It sounds like a lot of fun. I've never seen a real race before. I would offer my fet service, but I think people would want their cars to run after wards, lol. I'll just have to practice more. I think if I didn't lift the pad, it would have worked out nice. I'm pretty good at doing the tight turns and the power switch bypass on the gen 1 Xmods, but those are pretty easy to do. Have you done a power switch bypass on a Mini-Z? Does it really take away power having a power switch.

Just so you know, my wife was the one that wrote the addresses on the package, not me.
Old 02-27-2009, 12:54 PM
Elite member

Quote:
That's awesome. I think the wife and I will make the trip down. It sounds like a lot of fun. I've never seen a real race before. I would offer my fet service, but I think people would want their cars to run after wards, lol. I'll just have to practice more. I think if I didn't lift the pad, it would have worked out nice. I'm pretty good at doing the tight turns and the power switch bypass on the gen 1 Xmods, but those are pretty easy to do. Have you done a power switch bypass on a Mini-Z? Does it really take away power having a power switch.

Just so you know, my wife was the one that wrote the addresses on the package, not me.
Heh, you'll see my girlfriend if you come, she is a great racer!

I haven't removed the switch, does it take away power? I don't really think so.

If you come down, I'll give you a spare board I pracitice on a lot and some spare FETs I have in my box. Then, I'll see if I can give you a couple pointers in person.
Old 02-27-2009, 01:07 PM
Mini-Z Drifter

Sounds good to me. I look forward to it. Is it just on Saturday or is it a weekend thing?