Go Back   XmodSource.com > Competitions > XMS Competitions > XMS Competition Archives
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Gallery iTrader Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-05-2009, 11:27 AM
XMS Admin

Trader Rating: (35)
Send a message via MSN to zippo855 Send a message via Yahoo to zippo855
Default new competition

well this has been in the works, but with some of the recent suggestions, i think its time to post this up.
some of you have seen a similar comp before. but iwant your opinions on a few things.

here's the basics of the comp
3 classes
stock class, xmods cars, no electronics upgrades, no alloy, just xmod body mod. 20 dollar build limit.

modified class. model body conversions, stock chassis, no alloy, no electronics swaps. 40 dollar build limit

advanced class, anything goes, just cant be stock body with no modifications. 80 dollar price tag. and anything other than rs upgrades count towards the total, doesnt matter if you already had it or not.

only for xmods chassis based cars.

3 week build 1 week vote
1 class a month.

now for your thoughts. would you like a set theme? like one month muscle, one month t uner, 1 month supercar, etc. or do you want basically an open class?
the number of participants will depend on interest. and i will be purring up a prize for each comp.
please direct and questions or suggestions to me via pm, or here. i also need to know who all would be interested in participating. those interested shoot me a pm titled new comp, and let me know what class you want to be in. i will lay out the rules for it later.
now get to commenting.

TEAM X.I.
my massive collection of xmods
http://www.xmodsource.com/forum/showthread.php?t=13526
Old 05-05-2009, 03:36 PM
Elite member

Trader Rating: (0)

I don't like the price limit ideas.
Old 05-05-2009, 03:45 PM
Elite member

I like the idea. Keep the price limits, but dump the themes. With three different competitions, there are already going to be fewer people entering, and by adding themes to the mix, you are losing even more people.
Old 05-05-2009, 03:50 PM
XMS Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by imnotmikal View Post
I don't like the price limit ideas.
if not for the the price limit it would be no different from a cotm comp. i have had a similar comp going on another forum for 6 months now, outstanding builds and this shows what you can really do on a build instead of throwing money into a car. and you get to show what you can do against others doing similar builds.

TEAM X.I.
Old 05-05-2009, 04:14 PM
late model, xmods, microt

Trader Rating: (5)

I would have loved to do this in the past on xmf and now here. But i don't have a free chassis or money for another car.... Would the build be the same for xms and xmf?(like tuner on both site, muscle, etc.) you could enter the car in both comps (both sites). Not everybody on here is on xmf and vice versa.
Old 05-05-2009, 04:17 PM
Freedom Provider

Send a message via Yahoo to XmodzICON82

i like the idea of different classes....the price limit isn't too bad...you can get accessories from rs or somewhere else and have a good build....just whether or not there are a few participants or many that's the real question...
Old 05-05-2009, 04:49 PM
XMS Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by fieldfairy2 View Post
I would have loved to do this in the past on xmf and now here. But i don't have a free chassis or money for another car.... Would the build be the same for xms and xmf?(like tuner on both site, muscle, etc.) you could enter the car in both comps (both sites). Not everybody on here is on xmf and vice versa.
they are similar comps but not identical. theres not a themed comp on xmf, and imm planning on different dates to build. xmf starts the 15th im thinking here start the 1st so its voting is done before the cotm voting. and the classes are set up a little different.
Quote:
Originally Posted by XmodzICON82 View Post
i like the idea of different classes....the price limit isn't too bad...you can get accessories from rs or somewhere else and have a good build....just whether or not there are a few participants or many that's the real question...
the stock xmod chassis, stock body, and any rs upgradew doesnt get figured into the build cost. and i would hope since there is a higher member activity level i can get enough for each comp.....

TEAM X.I.
Old 05-05-2009, 04:59 PM

Trader Rating: (15)
Send a message via AIM to Kaze

Quote:
Originally Posted by zippo855 View Post
if not for the the price limit it would be no different from a cotm comp. i have had a similar comp going on another forum for 6 months now, outstanding builds and this shows what you can really do on a build instead of throwing money into a car. and you get to show what you can do against others doing similar builds.
Agreed, the current leader in the April COTM, his entry is the end result of this type of competition over on the other forum(s).

Now... as for the classes...
Quote:
Originally Posted by zippo855
stock class, xmods cars, no electronics upgrades, no alloy, just xmod body mod. 20 dollar build limit.

modified class. model body conversions, stock chassis, no alloy, no electronics swaps. 40 dollar build limit

advanced class, anything goes, just cant be stock body with no modifications. 80 dollar price tag. and anything other than rs upgrades count towards the total, doesnt matter if you already had it or not.
I agree with most of this, though for Stock Class, should the body have to be modded? Some people keep stock shells really clean and shiny, or slightly polished, you know what I mean?

Below are some positive points as well as questions that I wouldn't mind being answered.

Stock Class:
-This does give people like Aznkevin, myself and others who use putty to mod bodies without having to mod the chassis.
-Would changing the stock rims count as a mod?

Modified Class:
-Basically for people who want to/like to mount Model Bodies.
-Would modding a stock Xmod Shell, then Adding Components from a model kit to the shell count for this class, or does that go under "Stock Class"?
-Due to the Stock Chassis limit, this means all you're allowed to do is extend the chassis? (Example: I buy a model kit, and decide to install stock Xmods components into the model kit's chassis etc. is this turned towards "Advanced Class"?)
-Though not model kit, would mounting Mini-Z, iWaver, other R/C brand shells count?

Advanced Class:
-Self Explanatory, Price limit prohibits full GPM chassis.
-RS Upgrades don't count to price limit, this is handy.
-"Can't be a stock body without modifications" does this mean it can't be a stock shell period, or it can be a stock shell with chassis mods? (if No, see "suggestion" below)

For All Classes:
-Does price limit count towards objects that were purchased prior to thinking about the project, however, just so happens to be useful?
-Do trades count towards the price limit? if so does the price of the object traded for count against the person? (Example: I trade a hood for mirrors, so does the price of the hood count against me)

Suggestion:
Could I propose an Intermediate Class, in which the price limit is still $40 just as Modified Class, however, Intermediate is more of a technical skill class, where Electronic Mods, as well as Mechanical (Chassis/Drivetrain) mods are allowed. Body Mods are accepted but not necessary (Stock Shells allowed)

Example Mods would be:
Nelly/Spider Install (though the price tag might kill the limit)
18Gage Wire upgrades
Power Switch By-Pass
DIY Lith-ion/poly Installs
Tight-Turns Install (Gen 1)
Drive shaft removal (Gen 1)
Cantilever Suspension Removal (Gen 1: where you replace the rear suspension with the front suspension)
etc. etc...

It doesn't have to be like this 100%, but I'm sure you understand what I'm suggesting.

*Phew, that took longer than I though, sorry if any of these were answered while I was typing it*

Old 05-05-2009, 05:44 PM
drifter and engineer

Send a message via AIM to XMDrifter

does the price limit include buying an xmod? sure hope it doesnt.
do the price limits apply to tools used to build the xmod?
Old 05-05-2009, 06:09 PM
XMS Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by XMDrifter View Post
does the price limit include buying an xmod? sure hope it doesnt.
do the price limits apply to tools used to build the xmod?
no xmod body, chassis, or rs upgrades counts towards the build price.

kaze, ill respond to yours when i get home. lol its going to take a lot of typing.

TEAM X.I.
Old 05-05-2009, 06:18 PM
Modifier

Trader Rating: (3)
Send a message via ICQ to Skv012a Send a message via AIM to Skv012a Send a message via Yahoo to Skv012a

Since we're on topic now, I don't like $ limit idea. If A can buy styrene for 1$ a sheet while B can buy it for 3$, then how would this make sense?

RS upgrades aren't part of the cost? Why not? If car can't have too much aftermarket, then it'll just be a visual project and I don't see why one would even need any upgrades.

I'll suggest simple % of the chassis and body modifications besides paint per tier, if you even want to do several tiers each month. You guys (staff) will just drive yourselves nuts with this.

Do something like:
Stock class = 30% modification required, no non-Xm bodies or parts.
Mod class = 50+% modification required and must use external parts and bodies of any sort.

This way stock could equal a simple body kit mod of a Xm body or a wide kit + deco, and mod class will be something much more involved.

How about paint is a must?

Last edited by Skv012a; 05-05-2009 at 06:20 PM..
Old 05-05-2009, 06:19 PM
Elite member

I think at least the highest class shouldn't have a price limit.
I've had a BIG project I've been working on for a while, with well over $80 spent on it.
That rules screws me over, and the "3 Week Build" part.
Old 05-05-2009, 06:28 PM
Not a N00B

Trader Rating: (4)
Send a message via AIM to SkysTheLimit Send a message via MSN to SkysTheLimit

The point of the price limit and time limit especially of the experts competition is to press your creativity and to make good use of what you have. If there were no price limit, it wouldn't be so fair as some people would just pour GPM and electronic turbos into their cars for the chassis whereas people with more experience will create custom chassis with equal "bling" appeal but won't get the credit when compared with GPM.

No surprises I'm all in for doing this comp, just did my first one and it was great. Time is a bit stressful but just make sure you plan everything out and know you'll have enough time before you enter one.

Let's have some fun!

STL-R v2.1

-More Xmods than most. BMW Enthusiast
Old 05-05-2009, 06:33 PM

I truely like the price limit Idea the best. It prevents people from getting carried away and doing all this crazy stuff to something that might not even win... It forces the person to reprioritize what it is they need to do to create something simple and effective while being economically efficient.

Is it truely fair to let the guy that can drop $500 like nothing because he has money, in an Xmod for a competition, vs. someone that can barely afford the $7 spray can, and is doing his best without sand paper and such?

People aren't going to vote for the guy that couldn't prepare and paint his body better just because there was no money, I see the limit a check system... Even in the Advanced class, do you really want a guy that saved up the $80 for the comp to go against the guy that, once again, can freely drop $$$$. The price cap is a good idea, levels things out.

Old 05-05-2009, 06:39 PM
ROTFLSHMSFOAIDMT

Trader Rating: (24)
Send a message via AIM to TheB1GDude Send a message via MSN to TheB1GDude

Zippo - I've seen how well this works on XMF and I think its a great idea to move it over to here... I'd like you to work with donziikid on regulating it so that it works smoothly... the problem with introducing new things on XMS is that some of our members tend to over analyze things and this really isn't a complex competition, the price limit is put on so that people use their own skills to build something unique.... I think this ties in nicely with merc3des thread about people only voting on the eye candy rides.... with a stock class $20 competition there isn't going to be all that much eye candy... just a shell and some paint but with $80 you can go way more extreme and make a one off CF chassis like he did....

See what the two of you can come up with and hopefully it will be something everyone can agree to bring some new and exciting fun to the site....

Cheers!

Duct Tape is like the force:- it has a light side and a dark side and it binds the universe together.....
Old 05-05-2009, 08:01 PM
Modifier

Trader Rating: (3)
Send a message via ICQ to Skv012a Send a message via AIM to Skv012a Send a message via Yahoo to Skv012a

Then I'll pester you guys to employ "your entry MUST be YOUR work." Whats the point of entering others' work that may now own?
Old 05-05-2009, 08:05 PM
XMS Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skv012a View Post
Then I'll pester you guys to employ "your entry MUST be YOUR work." Whats the point of entering others' work that may now own?
your missing the whole point. its a build off. that means you build it. no previous work done on it. and 3 weeks later you have your build

TEAM X.I.
Old 05-05-2009, 08:06 PM
XMS Administrator

Send a message via AIM to Donziikid

Quote:
Then we will ignore your opinion and input. Opinions are nice. Pestering is annoying. We're capable of seeing both sides of an arguement, seeing what is best for the forum public and implimenting the rules and guidelines we see suited to such situations. Pestering us about something only annoys us and typically turns us away from the whole idea in the end.

We see your opinion and we see your ideas; that goes for everyone, not just a select few of you. Nothing is yet finalized in stone and I doubt you'll see this new competition until June. No reason to get worried; everything will be thought out, explained and finalized. Until then, we value your honest and constructive input, not whining and pestering doubts.

Thank you.

Cheers,
Kyle.

Greyscale Racing Member

The Collection:
Mitsubishi Pajero | AE RC18MT
TLMicroCrawler | Xmod ShowRoom | 'Yota XTruck
"The fun begins when the pavement ends."

Old 05-06-2009, 01:53 AM
XMS Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaze View Post
Agreed, the current leader in the April COTM, his entry is the end result of this type of competition over on the other forum(s).

Now... as for the classes...

I agree with most of this, though for Stock Class, should the body have to be modded? Some people keep stock shells really clean and shiny, or slightly polished, you know what I mean?
the point of the buildoff is to show what skills you posess for with a certain budget. stock cars can look nice, but nothing really custom about a stock body, and would you want to have a comp of who has the cleanest stock car?
Below are some positive points as well as questions that I wouldn't mind being answered.

Stock Class:
-This does give people like Aznkevin, myself and others who use putty to mod bodies without having to mod the chassis.
-Would changing the stock rims count as a mod?
as long as they are an rs offered rim, no. its not a mod.
Modified Class:
-Basically for people who want to/like to mount Model Bodies.
-Would modding a stock Xmod Shell, then Adding Components from a model kit to the shell count for this class, or does that go under "Stock Class"?
this would be stock class, modified class is just that, a non xmod body modified to fit an xmod
-Due to the Stock Chassis limit, this means all you're allowed to do is extend the chassis? (Example: I buy a model kit, and decide to install stock Xmods components into the model kit's chassis etc. is this turned towards "Advanced Class"?)
this would be more advanced class. stock chassis limits basically mean, stock chassis, modified to fit length, no non rs chassis upgrades. painting a chassis and adding the model interior to the chassis is fine as this is part of the kit
-Though not model kit, would mounting Mini-Z, iWaver, other R/C brand shells count?
if you want to put a mini z etc. body on it and compete against a model body, then please do so for the cotm. not trying to take anything away from doing this, but this is a fairly simple conversion. all you have to do is add a rear mount.
Advanced Class:
-Self Explanatory, Price limit prohibits full GPM chassis.
-RS Upgrades don't count to price limit, this is handy.
-"Can't be a stock body without modifications" does this mean it can't be a stock shell period, or it can be a stock shell with chassis mods? (if No, see "suggestion" below)
if your going to put a stock shell into the advanced class, it better be a pretty nice body, it has to have some sort of modifying done to it, from paint to putty, to whatever.
For All Classes:
-Does price limit count towards objects that were purchased prior to thinking about the project, however, just so happens to be useful?
anything other than rs upgrades are counted. however if you have bought a large sheet of styrene in the past it doesnt have to all count toward it.
-Do trades count towards the price limit? if so does the price of the object traded for count against the person? (Example: I trade a hood for mirrors, so does the price of the hood count against me)
if its a stock peice, soemthing offered by rs, it does not count
Suggestion:
Could I propose an Intermediate Class, in which the price limit is still $40 just as Modified Class, however, Intermediate is more of a technical skill class, where Electronic Mods, as well as Mechanical (Chassis/Drivetrain) mods are allowed. Body Mods are accepted but not necessary (Stock Shells allowed)

Example Mods would be:
Nelly/Spider Install (though the price tag might kill the limit)
18Gage Wire upgrades
Power Switch By-Pass
DIY Lith-ion/poly Installs
Tight-Turns Install (Gen 1)
Drive shaft removal (Gen 1)
Cantilever Suspension Removal (Gen 1: where you replace the rear suspension with the front suspension)
etc. etc...
your going to wrap a bunch of money into doing those mods, good luck getting it under 40 bucks, considering the middle class has to use a model body which runs between 10-20 then paint, another 4-10.
It doesn't have to be like this 100%, but I'm sure you understand what I'm suggesting.

*Phew, that took longer than I though, sorry if any of these were answered while I was typing it*
Quote:
Since we're on topic now, I don't like $ limit idea. If A can buy styrene for 1$ a sheet while B can buy it for 3$, then how would this make sense?
that's life, the price limit is to level the field.
RS upgrades aren't part of the cost? Why not? If car can't have too much aftermarket, then it'll just be a visual project and I don't see why one would even need any upgrades.
the reason rs parts arent included in the price limit because everyone has easy access to these, and you can throw every rs upgrade on a car and hey guess what, its still just an rs xmod. throw some alloy, or something else, and hey its custom, something not offered by rs.
as for you comment on just visual. exactly, this is making it to where all cars are basically judged alike. stock class is going to be hudged on how well you can modify and paint a stock body. modified class, same as stock just with a model body. advanced, if you want to modify you chassis, here you go.

I'll suggest simple % of the chassis and body modifications besides paint per tier, if you even want to do several tiers each month. You guys (staff) will just drive yourselves nuts with this.
1 buildoff a month,
Do something like:
Stock class = 30% modification required, no non-Xm bodies or parts.
Mod class = 50+% modification required and must use external parts and bodies of any sort.

This way stock could equal a simple body kit mod of a Xm body or a wide kit + deco, and mod class will be something much more involved.
1 buildoff a month, your way too much into % this %that, the point of this comp is to make it to where the comp is judged the same way.
How about paint is a must?
thats pretty self explanitory on paint being a must. for someone that wanted to make the cotm stricter, you sure are not like guidlines being set on builds for this comp.
Quote:
Originally Posted by imnotmikal View Post
I think at least the highest class shouldn't have a price limit.
I've had a BIG project I've been working on for a while, with well over $80 spent on it.
That rules screws me over, and the "3 Week Build" part.
we had a build here once, muscle car if i remember right, well how many of those completed the builds? without a set time limit, it wont work. tell someone they have 3 weeks to build something, they will work on it a little harder than just being told, hey finish whenever. and projects like yours, that take long time and have lots of money wrapped up seem to be better suited for the cotm comp.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkysTheLimit View Post
The point of the price limit and time limit especially of the experts competition is to press your creativity and to make good use of what you have. If there were no price limit, it wouldn't be so fair as some people would just pour GPM and electronic turbos into their cars for the chassis whereas people with more experience will create custom chassis with equal "bling" appeal but won't get the credit when compared with GPM.

No surprises I'm all in for doing this comp, just did my first one and it was great. Time is a bit stressful but just make sure you plan everything out and know you'll have enough time before you enter one.

Let's have some fun!
thanks man, and that comp ends tomorrow night, glad you liked being in it, and cant wait to see the final pics for each car.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheB1GDude View Post
Zippo - I've seen how well this works on XMF and I think its a great idea to move it over to here... I'd like you to work with donziikid on regulating it so that it works smoothly... the problem with introducing new things on XMS is that some of our members tend to over analyze things and this really isn't a complex competition, the price limit is put on so that people use their own skills to build something unique.... I think this ties in nicely with merc3des thread about people only voting on the eye candy rides.... with a stock class $20 competition there isn't going to be all that much eye candy... just a shell and some paint but with $80 you can go way more extreme and make a one off CF chassis like he did....

See what the two of you can come up with and hopefully it will be something everyone can agree to bring some new and exciting fun to the site....

Cheers!
i noticed, i have seen it in the past, but the last 20 minutes typing out replies really pointed it out. lol. the comp is pretty self explanitory, i though anyway.

well theres all the replies up to when i quoted everything, and as much interest as you guys are showing at this point, i have only got 1 pm as to people wanting to be in it......

TEAM X.I.
Old 05-06-2009, 02:14 AM

gracias for your answers, All Understood, just trying to exploit/clarify the inbetweens.

Thanks for the answers again