Go Back   XmodSource.com > Xmods > General XMODs
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Gallery iTrader Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-11-2009, 07:24 PM
XMS Admin

Trader Rating: (35)
Send a message via MSN to zippo855 Send a message via Yahoo to zippo855

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowboysir03 View Post
I've been thinking of a real usuable high speed effort lately...a 1/24th scale project that could do 50mph ground speed would be an interesting thought experiment.
i know bondo did the black widow, that b1g ended up with, then someone else. it would do 50 mph on the dyno, and if you could find a smooth enough surface it would haul on the ground as well.

goodfellaz from xmf did a dyno buster as well, in fact i'm pretty sure it was pocket change before i got it. plasmatomic, liths, 1/18 esc.

unfortunately the only way to show true speed would be a radar detector or finding an accurate way of time a set distance at top speed. so until everyone can afford a radar gun or get access to one, the dyno is the standard test method.

i do know i used to concentrate on making them as fast as i could, until i maxed the dyno, then its like where to go from there?

cowboysir03, i'd be interested in working with you on coming up with a few projects to are insanely fast, but still drivable. hit me up on pm if you want.

TEAM X.I.
my massive collection of xmods
http://www.xmodsource.com/forum/showthread.php?t=13526
Old 12-11-2009, 07:44 PM
Elite member

Trader Rating: (8)

Well I won't acknowledge an Xmod as "the fastest Xmod in the world" unless they actually check it with a radar gun of some sort. Its up to everyone else how they interpret it of course .

It of course would cost extra, but if your wanting to have a real record it clearly is going to cost some money.

Edit: There is a hot wheels radar gun that is a REAL radar gun and relatively accurate. It can measure up to 100mph and will work on small r/c cars. This can be had for $25 dollars SHIPPED. Just as cheap as the speed checker. There is also some relatively good hacks for it.

Check it out ----> http://www.edparadis.com/radar/

Last edited by Action B; 12-11-2009 at 07:53 PM..
Old 12-11-2009, 07:51 PM
XMS Admin

thats your choice, you can take "fastest" many ways, fastest top speed, fastest track time, etc. and i highly doubt one car would fall in both categories. but the standard for top speed is the speedchecker, and i don't know about anyone else, but i am not going to pay to have my cars checked with a radar gun. it's a 1/28th scale car, nothing that i think would need to go to that measure to say if your cars fast or not.

TEAM X.I.

Last edited by zippo855; 12-11-2009 at 08:01 PM..
Old 12-11-2009, 07:58 PM
Elite member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zippo855 View Post
thats your choice, you can take "fastest" many ways, fastest top speed, fastest track time, etc. and i highly doubt one car would fall in both categories. but the standard for top speed is the speedchecker, and i don't know about anyone else, but i am not going to pay to have my cars checked with a radar gun. it's a 1/28th scale car, nothing that i think would need to go to that measure to say if your cars fast or not.
Well, to me quick is acceleration and fast means top speed.

If your willing to pay $25 for a speed checker then its the same amount for a cheap radar gun .

We go far further for other aspects of the hobby. I could say the car is 1/28th scale, I'm not going to pay to make it go fast, or no reason to spend money to have a fast R/C car to say I won the recent Mini-Z regional championship. Your entitled to your opinion but I think it seems a little out of touch with the true nature of the question. Whats the fastest Xmod in the world? In my opinion it can not be definitively answered without at least a low end radar gun.
Old 12-11-2009, 08:00 PM
XMS Admin

for 25 bucks id give it a shot, but the prices im seein are a lot more
http://www.amazon.com/Mattel-J2358-H.../dp/B000EHLB0M 89.99

cheapest im seeing period is 35 for a used one
http://www.google.com/products?sourc...N&hl=en&tab=wf

if it was the same price as a speed checker i can see this moving towards the standard for testing, but at the price i dont see it becoming a trend

TEAM X.I.
Old 12-11-2009, 08:04 PM
Elite member

Quote:
for 25 bucks id give it a shot, but the prices im seein are a lot more
http://www.amazon.com/Mattel-J2358-H.../dp/B000EHLB0M 89.99

cheapest im seeing period is 35 for a used one
http://www.google.com/products?sourc...N&hl=en&tab=wf

if it was the same price as a speed checker i can see this moving towards the standard for testing, but at the price i dont see it becoming a trend
Yeah, your right, its $35 shipped, my bad. I'm not concerned with a trend. Guys do it all the time with E-REVO.

Last edited by Action B; 12-11-2009 at 08:07 PM..
Old 12-11-2009, 08:11 PM
XMS Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Action B View Post
Yeah, your right, its $35 shipped, my bad. I'm not concerned with a trend. Guys do it all the time with E-REVO.
little difference in a 50 dollar xmod and a 200 1/16th scale rc.

TEAM X.I.
Old 12-11-2009, 08:17 PM
Elite member

Quote:
little difference in a 50 dollar xmod and a 200 1/16th scale rc.
Well to make it go like 50 mph they are about the same price right>?

Last edited by Action B; 12-11-2009 at 08:33 PM..
Old 12-11-2009, 08:26 PM
XMS Admin

e revo about 30 bucks to go 50 mph, series connector, and additional battery

my dyno buster performance parts to get it to hit 99,
33$ lipo
handwound motor, cost of motor wire, i got it in a package deal so i dunno actual cost
1/18 micro t esc used 25 bucks

so 50-60 bucks.

110 vs 230, still a sizeable difference in cost.

xmod that fast, not stable on ground
my brushless propulse isnt that stable at those speeds either
erevo, seems to be rather controlable at those speeds. a lot wider and wider tires

to radar gun a 1/16 e revo would be a lot easier than an xmod as well. my dyno buster was very hard to keep going in a straight line.

TEAM X.I.
Old 12-11-2009, 08:31 PM
Elite member

Quote:
e revo about 30 bucks to go 50 mph, series connector, and additional battery

my dyno buster performance parts to get it to hit 99,
33$ lipo
handwound motor, cost of motor wire, i got it in a package deal so i dunno actual cost
1/18 micro t esc used 25 bucks

so 50-60 bucks.

110 vs 230, still a sizeable difference in cost.

xmod that fast, not stable on ground
my brushless propulse isnt that stable at those speeds either
erevo, seems to be rather controlable at those speeds. a lot wider and wider tires

to radar gun a 1/16 e revo would be a lot easier than an xmod as well. my dyno buster was very hard to keep going in a straight line.

If its not stable at the speed, then it cant really go that fast in my opinion. They are jusy dyno queens. Well, I guess it doesn't have to be stable, but at least do it once lol. Plus I think you and I both know that usually 50mph is not easily or usually obtainable on 50-60 bucks. Also count the price of the xmod starter kit itself.

Furthermore, a E-revo is claimed to be able to do around 50mph out the box.

Edit: Actually I see thats not the case. You were probably right on the price of erevo.

Last edited by Action B; 12-11-2009 at 08:37 PM..
Old 12-11-2009, 08:38 PM
XMS Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Action B View Post
If its not stable at the speed, then it cant really go that fast in my opinion. They are jusy dyno queens. Well, I guess it doesn't have to be stable, but at least do it once lol. Plus I think you and I both know that usually 50mph is not easily or usually obtainable on 50-60 bucks. Also count the price of the xmod starter kit itself.
on a perfect surface it would be obtainable, but i have yet to find it. maybe some mini z tires that are super sticky. i have a new goal dyno buster that can drive stabily as well, i'll keep an eye out for one of those radar guns cheap as well. then see about comparing the 2.

TEAM X.I.
Old 12-11-2009, 08:42 PM
Elite member

Quote:
on a perfect surface it would be obtainable, but i have yet to find it. maybe some mini z tires that are super sticky. i have a new goal dyno buster that can drive stabily as well, i'll keep an eye out for one of those radar guns cheap as well. then see about comparing the 2.
I'd be interested in seeing the comparison and the top speed!
Old 12-11-2009, 08:52 PM
XMS Admin

subawow maxed the dyno before it hit peak rpm, and i understand normal speeds like 71 on my mustang are not going to be the number get on the ground, the dyno reduces the aspect of enviroment and weight of the car. the only thing i was getting at is its the general basline because its the easiest obtainable result.

i'm going to be starting work on the buick again this weekend, so maybe that will be the chassis to test.

TEAM X.I.
Old 12-11-2009, 08:53 PM
XMS Administrator

Trader Rating: (5)

I bought the above mentioned radar gun, walmart had them on clearance a while back for 10 bucks. It sucks, the same car will give wildly different numbers depending on how you hold the gun and we never got one reading off of it that we trusted as being even close to accurate. We could never repeat even close to the same speed reading twice.
Old 12-11-2009, 08:59 PM
Elite member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BART View Post
I bought the above mentioned radar gun, walmart had them on clearance a while back for 10 bucks. It sucks, the same car will give wildly different numbers depending on how you hold the gun and we never got one reading off of it that we trusted as being even close to accurate. We could never repeat even close to the same speed reading twice.
Really? Dang, whip it out and try hacking it like on that website. Maybe that will help.
Old 12-11-2009, 10:28 PM
Forum Idiot

Trader Rating: (3)
Send a message via AIM to Sweed Send a message via Yahoo to Sweed

Xmods are too tiny at speed. Not enough suspension travel, and they are fairly top heavy.

My old gen1 was capable of atleast 25mph (which is FAST for a car that small) and stable without a body on. That's on Micro-T Electronics, Stage 2 motor, Li-ion. Body on, it would roll (easily).

Bigger (1/18th) RC's start running into problem around 65-80mph regarding staying on the ground. The just want to fly up.

If you go back a year or two, RC Car Action did a "Worlds Fastest RC" thing.
I believe Nic Case won with a car capable of 180mph(?) on the road.

Making a fast xmod is easy. Making it stay on the road, without flipping and making sure it doesn't tear itself apart are the biggest issues. IIRC, CowboySiR's GTO shredded it's gears a few times.
"Save us, oh lord, from the wrath of the Norsemen"
Old 12-12-2009, 12:27 AM
retired xmodder

Trader Rating: (4)
Send a message via AIM to mycrors4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweed View Post
Xmods are too tiny at speed. Not enough suspension travel, and they are fairly top heavy.

My old gen1 was capable of atleast 25mph (which is FAST for a car that small) and stable without a body on. That's on Micro-T Electronics, Stage 2 motor, Li-ion. Body on, it would roll (easily).

Bigger (1/18th) RC's start running into problem around 65-80mph regarding staying on the ground. The just want to fly up.

If you go back a year or two, RC Car Action did a "Worlds Fastest RC" thing.
I believe Nic Case won with a car capable of 180mph(?) on the road.

Making a fast xmod is easy. Making it stay on the road, without flipping and making sure it doesn't tear itself apart are the biggest issues. IIRC, CowboySiR's GTO shredded it's gears a few times.
i will have to agree on that, my new rc18 usually ends up upside down at full speed(going downhill), not sure how it will do with a wheelie bar

Check out my B/S/T Thread

Want remixes of some songs... PM me.. I has DJ programing software

Inventor of the idea of using Bob Saget to name R/C parts

٩(-̮̮̃•̃)۶
Old 12-12-2009, 01:06 AM
Yes, 1945 Cadillac Tank

Send a message via AIM to texan_idiot25

Anyone remember PH2T's 11v 3 lipo Evo?

I may be king of the idiots, but my kingdom is vast and my subjects are everywhere
Old 12-12-2009, 01:17 AM
Working Class Hero

Trader Rating: (32)
Send a message via MSN to TripleXmodder(akaXXX)

Quote:
Originally Posted by texan_idiot25 View Post
Anyone remember PH2T's 11v 3 lipo Evo?
Probably before my time, is it on here, Id like to see it... I had the 4 lith 14.8volt "Make your Guesses"

I think we have gotten a bit complicated as far as how the fastest Xmod should be timed. I guess we would all have different opinions, but the hobby standard is the speed checker. No sense to try and measure the speed of a little RC with 1:1 scale precision. I doesn't matter how it's checked, I feel we would still all have different opinions on which is the fastest...... There are alot out there.

XXX FREE modding Service: http://www.xmodsource.com/forum/showthread.php?t=17800
PM me for a quote or any questions. HAPPY MODDING

100% Positive Itrader feedback http://www.xmodsource.com/forum/itrader.php?u=6901
Old 12-12-2009, 02:13 AM
Yes, 1945 Cadillac Tank

Send a message via AIM to texan_idiot25

Timing is easy, you can build a dirt simple light-trap timing system just like a drag strip.

PH2T is probably a few years before your time, the Aussie responsible for inventing the Nelly Turbos. Just out of free whim wired up 3 cell lipos (back when lipo and evo's 1st met) and it surprisingly survived on a stock board. Ran it for a long time with no problems form the excess voltage and it was hilariously fast. It's somewhere on XMW though, not here.

I may be king of the idiots, but my kingdom is vast and my subjects are everywhere