Go Back   XmodSource.com > Xmods > XMOD Appearance
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Gallery iTrader Today's Posts

Old 03-01-2010, 08:57 PM

Trader Rating: (0)
Default Body work help

I just bought a skyline body and a body kit, i want to repaint them to match (the body is silver and kit is black) what is the best way to remove the headlights and tailights from the body without damaging them. I want to repaint my 370z body too. I already know how to prep and paint them plus im pretty good with a rattle can. thx all.
Old 03-01-2010, 09:41 PM
Xmod Expert

Trader Rating: (8)
Send a message via AIM to suicide_star Send a message via MSN to suicide_star

Usually, you can just take a razor blade or xacto knife to the insides of the bodies and cut the little pieces of plastic that are exposed. After that, you can use a tiny flathead screwdriver or something equivalent to pry on the outside portion of the light to pull it off of the body. When you're ready to put the lights back in, simply slide them into the holes that they were originally in, then drop in a dab of superglue to keep him in place.
Old 03-01-2010, 09:42 PM
Gen 1 junkie !

Trader Rating: (6)
Send a message via AIM to dontspamme Send a message via MSN to dontspamme

You can use a knife or something to chip away the glue in the body where the lense are. But make sure you do it slowly otherwise they would break very easily. Do you have pictures of your Skyline ? As a silver Skyline is VERY VERY rare and VERY desirable with many people.

Theres already been a few topics about this same question, so please try and use the search for your questions. Also, welcome to the forum and check over the rules a few times
Old 03-02-2010, 10:45 AM

as soon as the skyline body arrives ill post up a pic, it should be here in a day or so. I picked it up off ebay for $15. its missing a "passenger" side mirror but ill hunt one down. I also found a body kit, new in box, on ebay for $5 shipped!!?? that is in black tho, so i figured that maybe ill paint the body/kit combo i like most to match each other.
Old 03-02-2010, 11:54 AM
XMS moderator

Send a message via MSN to tayyab

Was it the one with the chipped front bumper? I saw that one a few days back.

Really, don't paint it. It's VERY VERY rare as dontspamme pointed out.

But hey, your car.

Later, T.I.M
Old 03-02-2010, 12:26 PM

lol, yea its the one with the chip in the bumper, if its as rare as you guys say then maybe ill paint the body kit to match the body. still gotta find a mirror tho.

Last edited by wrxautox; 03-02-2010 at 12:46 PM..
Old 03-02-2010, 12:38 PM
Xmod Expert

Send a message via AIM to winner

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrxautox View Post
lol, yea its the one with the chip in the bumper, if its as rare as you guys say then maybe ill paint the body kit to match the body. still gotta kind a mirror tho.
if you really want it done perfectly you mite want to consider sending it to someone like kaze, dr.kustom, etc, people that you know do good work, all the b/k pieces are a PITA to paint and require alot of time and detailing.

and trust me, a silver skyline is very rare it mite be smart to keep it as a shelf queen for a few years and sell it then, you mite get yourself a pretty penny for it
Old 03-02-2010, 12:48 PM

maybe ill do something like that. I plan on getting more cars/bodies, I definitely want to get a wrx body as i own a wrx and have a couple die cast cars and a wrx xmod would go great with them. I love subaru's. but the skyline is my fav of all. I have seen a few r33 bodies on here, i assume those are mini-z or another kinda body modified to fit an xmods, yes?
Old 03-03-2010, 05:32 PM

well guys the silver skyline body arrived today. It is more beat up than I had thought, it has a bunch of scratches and the paint looks cracked all over the body. I think that i might have to repaint it but maybe repaint it silver again. The front bumper has a big chip out of it plus a crack. It still needs a front clip, it came with an evo rear clip.

Does anyone know if any other front clips would compare to the skyline one, i cannot find one for sale any where.
Old 03-03-2010, 06:21 PM
Advance member

Thanks for the feedback, and enjoy.
I thought about painting my bodykit to match that shell, but never found the time, and weather wasn't too kind as i don't have a garage to spray it in.
But very glad you are enjoying it.

Follow-up (didn't read all the posts):
Sorry to hear that you are not satisfy with it. The silver paint on these are like that, kinda flaky looking, but very smooth to the touch. I don't think there was a crack though. Just that chip on the front bumper. Hope USPS didn't have anything to do with that.

Last edited by All_Xmods; 03-03-2010 at 07:04 PM..
Old 03-03-2010, 08:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by All_Xmods View Post
Thanks for the feedback, and enjoy.
I thought about painting my bodykit to match that shell, but never found the time, and weather wasn't too kind as i don't have a garage to spray it in.
But very glad you are enjoying it.

Follow-up (didn't read all the posts):
Sorry to hear that you are not satisfy with it. The silver paint on these are like that, kinda flaky looking, but very smooth to the touch. I don't think there was a crack though. Just that chip on the front bumper. Hope USPS didn't have anything to do with that.
pm'd back.

For those who read thses. I knew the body was not near new by any means. It just gave me more reason to work on it. All-in-all i am very pleased with it. Surprisingly it fits the chassis as it sits just needs a proper front clip, the 370z clip makes the front sit too high, lol. So now i'll take colors opinions.
Old 03-03-2010, 09:53 PM
Gen 1 junkie !

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrxautox View Post
Surprisingly it fits the chassis as it sits just needs a proper front clip, the 370z clip makes the front sit too high, lol. So now i'll take colors opinions.
Try Acura RSX, Acura NSX, those are sure to fit. You can also try the Lancer clip, but I'm not 100% sure on that. It would probably raise the car slightly, but I can't confirm it. As I've only tried mounting the Lancer to the Gen 1 chassis via Skyline clip
Old 03-04-2010, 09:05 PM

thx a ton.

Any color opinions? I was thinking of redoing the silver or maybe yellow. Maybe a nice blue/purple color.
Old 03-04-2010, 09:26 PM
Xmod Expert

Send a message via AIM to winner

i've always been a fan of this color purple, no homo, i promise
Old 03-04-2010, 09:28 PM
Gen 1 junkie !

Purple on a Skyline ? IMO, not for me.

I'd say go with black, or the rather nice blue they come stock in. That would look killer when done right.
Old 03-05-2010, 10:22 AM

I thought about the black, the blue would look nice too. I like the yellow also. my only problem with the blue is im gonna buy the wrx body which will be blue to match my real car and i dont want 2 blue cars.
Old 03-05-2010, 03:20 PM
Advance member

Trader Rating: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by winner View Post
i've always been a fan of this color purple, no homo, i promise
If you painted your car that color "no homo" would have to be your license plate :P
Old 03-05-2010, 03:22 PM
Subaru Nut

Trader Rating: (7)

Please post up pics lol. Alot of the silver skylines have the spider cracks but pleaseee dont paint it lol. it is still insanely rare and getting really really hard to find. order a black or a yellow shell and paint that other wise the silver body if it gets messed up it will be a disaster lol.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donziikid View Post
You can't fix stupid.
MY TUTORIALS
SNOW PLOW
HUMMER DROP HITCH
DULLY TIRE TUT
Old 03-06-2010, 12:07 PM

Ok here are a few pics. One with the body as i got it, and 2 with the black B/k on it, and one that shows just the hood scratches and front bumper chip/crack. I took these with my cell so they are not top notch cannon quality. These thumbnails expand to 1600x1200 so warnings, this computer doesnt have photo edit software on it, its my mother-in-laws. Please feel free to comment. And to gearhead: i think i will get another body, even tho this one isnt perfect, i will leave it and make it a shelf item, maybe mount it on a nonworking chassis or something.

Strangely enough the black b/k doesnt look too bad on the silver body. i dont think anyway. just have to convince the wife to let me spend more money on more bodys and mods.

Last edited by wrxautox; 03-06-2010 at 12:10 PM..
Old 03-06-2010, 12:45 PM
Gen 1 junkie !

Don't paint the body, just repaint a new bumper and hood to match the silver. The body itself looks to be in good condition