Go Back   XmodSource.com > Miscellaneous > Real Cars: Full scale > August 08'-09' Build Off
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Gallery iTrader Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-26-2008, 09:54 PM
Xmod Expert

Trader Rating: (0)
Default August '08-'09 Buildoff 03' GMC Sierra

So I thought about doing the Range but I just don't want to spend that kind of cash right now and I am not going to change the plans on that one. I guess it will just have to wait another day.

Okay so the truck itself currently pretty stock. I guess the specs first.

-2003 1500 GMC Sierra SLE
-Its a half cab, short box
-Z71 edition
-5.3L Vortec V8
-Bose premium sound system, with 6 disc changer
-Interior is Beige and i actually told them to not put in leather cause i don't like it (gets cold in the winter and hot and sticky in the summer)
-the colour is Pewter I believe, basically a metallic flake beige

Right now as it stands i added:

-Easy down tailgate system
-Line X Spray on bedliner
-A retarded custom headache rack
-Beefed up my leaf springs in the rear by adding one
-Upgraded the brakes
-I opened the muffler up bit and upgraded the intakes and air filters because the truck didn't have that groan i wanted and sound like a dying pig
-The tires are also slightly wider than stock and larger so they can fill out the overly larger wheel wells
-Somewhere along the way before i took this truck from my dad he added the Ventshades on the windows
-The rear window and two back side windows were replaced with tinted glass

The plans for it are not complete but your probably are not going to see an overhaul as this car is a work truck and gets beaten on daily.

What you will hopefully see:

-New headache rack, this one is Aluminum and is really nice. Since the headache rack is sitting at the side of my driveway its really just a matter of putting it on and i will eventually do it.

-New front grill, If your hoping to see some stupid chrome crap on slapped on the front of this truck to make it look all blingy and gangster please click back right now. Im hoping to replace the grille with something along the lines of the stock but still keep that nice masculine butch look. This isn't a show truck so chrome would seem weird to me for my tastes.

-I might get a new paint job (black if i do), but if i don't get an entire repaint you can at least look to see all the current imperfections to be filled and they will be painted.

-New wiper blades, this may seem stupid but i have put this off for some long that its actually dangerous...

-Fix my left rear brake light and get a new bulb for it.

-Buy 2 new Z71 stickers, one of them i never replaces after i had my left rear quarter panel fixed so im going to get some cooler looking ones now.

-Get all new door handles and tailgate handles might be painted the colour of the truck of they might be gloss black (or even just new stock ones). I have to go look before I make up my mind.

-The dented and damaged trim around the truck will be replaced and trim will be schrom like they come stock and black.

-New side mirrors with flashers in the mirror.

-Ill also probably get new tries by the end of the competition. Which may also mean new rims and a slightly larger size tire and rim combo.

-I want to get airbags all around but i highly doubt its worth it for the engine/tranny and drivetrain condition of this truck.

I probably have more to add but it is undecided as of yet, I really have to take a look around th truck make up my mind on the interior and such and the do it...

Old Pictures that are probabaly already on XMS:

Front end with stock grill. Looks good and clean but i want to get it away from stock but keep the muscular look.

Stock rims and larger tires.

If you look really close you can see my first upgrade is on. I added chrome valve covers.

Line-x bedliner.

This was a picture before i lost that black plastic part around the tailgate latch.

The side of the truck. Obviously you can see I'm missing the Z71 sticker.

EVEN OLDER PICTURES!

Back end before the headache rack.

As you can see by my ropes and the dirt this truck is actually used for work. Its actually quite fun to haul *** with 700 pounds of crap in the back.

Theres the other Z71 sticker. Believe it or not it actually took me a good year to realize that the body shop never put another one on or that it was even missing.

The interior. As you can see instead of the bench i got it divided with two very comfortable bucket.

Dont mind my mess...

Shows one of the only options this truck doesnt have and does have in the SLT model Electronic dual climate control, at the risk of being RICEy I might actually install that with the driver 1 and 2 controls and slap on SLT badges. however i have no idea how much it is to integrate driver one and 2 aftermarket.

Bose stereo.

Chinesekid05. ill have a pic just for you up soon hopefully when I actually have bread at my house. LOL.

Last edited by meme405; 08-27-2008 at 01:36 PM..
Old 08-26-2008, 09:55 PM
the torqueinator

Trader Rating: (1)
Send a message via AIM to kendallcschm

post some pics

'65 Drag Mustang

mods to be made:
pro street rims
some sort of suspension upgrade (message me if you have suggestions)
soft drag slicks

Titan:

mods to be made:
CF driveshaft
composite driveshaft gears
Old 08-26-2008, 10:33 PM
Elite member

tire and wheel combo??

Quality not Quantity
Old 08-26-2008, 11:05 PM
Advance member

Send a message via AIM to imstock

Sorry but...

16.8 in the quarter mile isn't fast.
Old 08-28-2008, 03:32 AM
Xmod Expert

I just ordered Some of those. For the purpose of being able to put straps on my truck and pull out tree trunks. Its either that or put on a winch and a winch no matter how cool is to expensive...

I also found some sweet door handles and tailgate handle.

I can find a good picture of something simmilar but basically the handle itself is metal, like a matte chrome finish. And the cover sorounding the handle is black metal...

Ill get some pics when i have them in hand.

I also got these:

Cept mine dont say KC on them. their just plain. their going to cover the fog lights up front if you didnt figure that out...

I also devised a plan to wire up my own sourtesy lights (the lights that turn on when you open your door and they point down underneath the door to illuminate the ground..) like this:

More to come...
Old 08-29-2008, 08:36 PM
Xmod Expert

I hit a snag on the truck:

And no thats not a lift kit on the truck. I'm stuck on jacks again.

My front left bearing is shot. And since they only replace the bearings by replacing the entire front hub assembly. I'm out 2500$ to replace both the front hubs.

So basically i need to decide what im going to do in the near future...

since im going to university next year (cross your fingers, LOL.) I need to decide where im going to go to universtiy and wether or not i need the extra work truck around.

And if i do stay near my house and keep working with my dad then i either need to pay the piper or buy a new truck (QUADRASTEER HERE I COME!!).

BTW woudlnt it be sweet if i had a lift kit with this much clearance? :

Oh yeah and just for the sake of it:

That the latch cover of the tailgate i lost...

Thats the headache rack i have

Theres another one...

Last edited by meme405; 08-29-2008 at 08:40 PM..
Old 08-29-2008, 09:54 PM
MEOWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW

$2500 for both hub/bearing assembly is a little high if you ask me. I would call around for estimates. Also consider using an aftermarket assembly.

Alldata shows

About $400 to $550 for the part and a hour labor for each side. $1250 a side is really high. I also checked car quest's catalog, I can buy that hub for $120 and it list for $220. With a hour labor at my shop we would charge you about $330 a side out the door parts and labor.

Last edited by jimmythekid1; 08-29-2008 at 10:45 PM..
Old 08-29-2008, 09:58 PM
Banned

Trader Rating: (3)

Hey why dont u get some GMC Denali stuff??Like grill,rims maybe??
Old 08-30-2008, 02:01 AM
Xmod Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmythekid1 View Post
$2500 for both hub/bearing assembly is a little high if you ask me. I would call around for estimates. Also consider using an aftermarket assembly.

Alldata shows

About $400 to $550 for the part and a hour labor for each side. $1250 a side is really high. I also checked car quest's catalog, I can buy that hub for $120 and it list for $220. With a hour labor at my shop we would charge you about $330 a side out the door parts and labor.
That includes other work too. Like replacing the inner and outer tie rod ends. an oil change and lube up. as well as replacing a couple of fluid lines that were punctured...

Right now as it stands I'm looking at ditching this truck back at GM or selling it privately. and finding a nice 2004 quadrasteer 1500... I seriously need to get my act together and figure out where im going to take my life. because im starting grade 12 and i have no idea what i want to do.

Im stuck and engineering and architecture...

Last edited by meme405; 08-30-2008 at 02:04 AM..
Old 09-08-2008, 07:21 PM
Xmod Expert

Might as well get this deleted...

The sierra is SOLD. gone since yesterday.

And driving the range to the new owner later tonight.

Wow im back to grade 11 stuck shopping for a car.

Ive got a 2008 3.5L nissan altima coupe to drive around in for now.
Old 09-08-2008, 07:24 PM
Banned

Trader Rating: (3)

Wait whyd u sell ur vehicles??
Old 09-08-2008, 08:37 PM
Xmod Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by HUMMER H4 View Post
Wait whyd u sell ur vehicles??
Well i sold the GMC because it needed way to much money put into it (new tires, 3 more new bearing hub assembly things, a new rear u joint, and it would probably still run like garbage and be rusted up as **** underneath it)...

Essentially that GMC took such a beating over the 5 years of work me and my dads company put onto that truck that its just wasnt worth the money.

I got a nice price for it compared to waht any dealer wouldve given me at 7000$ and the guy who bought it is a friend. He promised to have the truck back in full running condition asap so i guess everybodys happy and thats cool with me.

The range is a whole nother story. and i really rather not get into it but lets just say that cars a hassle and has never really played nice. I thought the problems on the GMC were bad, until i brought this SOB in for a check up. the final straw was a fail on the emmisions test which is really just BS cause its such a new car. Big deal some AFT stuff on it its way better on the environment than that asshole with the ford F-350 diesel that took the test just before me.

Thats the end of that i dont want to hear anything about those cars anymore its over. These two weeks have been terrible for me so yeah.

Now that thats over. TIME TO GET A NEW CAR!!! or used it really depends...