Go Back   XmodSource.com > Xmods > XMOD Projects
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Gallery iTrader Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-24-2010, 09:12 PM
Stage 2 member

Trader Rating: (1)
Default Project H2 Crawler

Started to convert my H2 into a crawler, hopefully it will work. First I worked on the axle stub extension. Instead of using the double stub method I tried a different method using a 3mm machine screw, 1 nut and nylon tube.

Since I did not have the original RS Lift Kit. I duplicated a kit from a friend using resin. I don’t recommend doing it this way, material cost and time was way not worth it. Plus I don't think the dogbones will hold up. Will attempt to use some aluminum and resin together once I snap the resin ones.

Next body lift used some aluminum from local hobby shop 1ft about .90 cents. Cut around ¾ inch. I still think the wheels will rub the body. Need to think of another work around. Any ideas anyone?

Still to come is the power supply move, rewire with superflex and motor. Looking to move the power to the top of the chassis, but not sure if I want to keep the 4AAA. As for the motor I have a stage 2 that I have not installed yet but not sure if that will do the trick.

This is my attempt to make a new dogbone. Have not installed it yet. The shaft part seems a bit thick not sure how it will affect the stubs.

Last edited by toomuchtodo; 04-25-2010 at 11:57 AM..
Old 04-24-2010, 09:26 PM
Elite member

WOW, awesome job so far. Can't wait to see how it turns out!
Old 04-24-2010, 10:05 PM
Elite member

Trader Rating: (0)
Send a message via AIM to greenday Send a message via Yahoo to greenday

Looks really professional! I like the look of it overall, but I don't think the S2 is going to get you the results you want. I'd go with a 180 from XI since you already widened it out. Should be really cool!
Old 04-24-2010, 11:28 PM
Light Modder

Trader Rating: (5)

Wow, very clean. How long did It take you to make the rs lift remake?
Old 04-24-2010, 11:46 PM
Stage 2 member

Thanks for the praise fellow xmodders!

Greenday: Thanks for the recommendation. But XI is out of stock on that motor I saw a different 180 motor made for a different Rock crawler looks like a Micro Losi. Are they the same?
Is there a way to rewind a stock motor to give it more torque?

dreamingISdrifting: Took me about a week to make the molds. (7hrs) And lots of trail and error to correctly make the parts. About another week. (another 7hrs)
Old 04-24-2010, 11:49 PM
Elite member

Trader Rating: (0)
Send a message via AIM to greenday Send a message via Yahoo to greenday

Honestly I wouldn't know...but given what you have done so far I would say it's well within your reach. If nothing else use a servo but with that truck it just looks like speed would make it a lot more fun...but I don't know what you plan to do. I suppose you could neo a S1 and gear it low, that would probably be adequete...Maybe a power upgrade is in order?
Old 04-25-2010, 01:43 AM
Yes, 1945 Cadillac Tank

Send a message via AIM to texan_idiot25

Very nice, my 1st crawler started life as a H2.

I may be king of the idiots, but my kingdom is vast and my subjects are everywhere
Old 04-25-2010, 01:49 AM
Light Modder

If you are going for a motor I recommend the 180 motor from atomic or X.I. they look pretty much identical except for the sticker.
Old 04-28-2010, 03:56 PM
Stage 2 member

Default Shock Help

So last night I did the power switch bypass and installed deans plugs.

I took it for a test drive without the body ran ok. (Need a motor upgrade badly) But I ran into a problem, when I put the body on. It seems like the springs can't support the body weight. Any recommendation would be appreciated? I installed springs from the drop kit better than stock but not enough still.

Last edited by toomuchtodo; 04-28-2010 at 06:58 PM..
Old 04-28-2010, 07:00 PM
Light Modder

is the truck too heavy for the springs? You could always double on springs, or since it is a crawler now and if you have done the "pivot" mod then you can also just lock them, considering that the truck now pivots at such a high angle the suspension does little to add to the articulation anyways, and If you are going slow enough considering it is a crawler it wont make much of a difference.
Old 04-29-2010, 11:35 AM
Stage 2 member

Thanks drifting, I will try locking the shocks. Nothing a little epoxy won't fix.