Go Back   XmodSource.com > Xmods > General XMODs
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Gallery iTrader Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-31-2009, 03:35 AM
micro-creationist

Trader Rating: (1)
Default How Fast Are You...xmod style!

I think that xmods should have a racing series similar in style to the Mini-Z HFAY competition they have. Lets see if there can get some consensus on how to start an online racing competition.
Old 05-31-2009, 03:56 AM
Modifier

Trader Rating: (3)
Send a message via ICQ to Skv012a Send a message via AIM to Skv012a Send a message via Yahoo to Skv012a

Except HFAY allows Xmods to compete, so its just a matter of Xmods clubs/individuals deciding to enter. Good luck beating featherweight MRs though.
Old 05-31-2009, 04:34 AM
Elite member

Trader Rating: (8)

Agreed, hfay is 1/28 scale, not mini z. Its already there and substantial so why remake it? you don't have to consider yourself competing against the Zs.
Old 05-31-2009, 09:42 AM
Rethink It All

Send a message via AIM to RedSXmodder Send a message via MSN to RedSXmodder

The HFAY scene is dominated by mini-Z, and although you can argue the case that it is in fact a broad 1/28th scale racing category, its not going to change the fact that *most* xmods can't compete. When it comes to the stock class, xmods don't stand a chance, and even in modified, your rig has to be incredibly modded to even compete...and don't even give me this "its not the car its the driver".

It'd be much more interesting to see what we could do with strictly xmod based online points series. Modded and Stock class. Basically apply the fundamentals of the HFAY system and put it into "xmod" perspective.

Later,
RedSXmodder

Team Redmade Motors- Building Motors that rise above the rest!

Rethink It All
Old 05-31-2009, 10:25 AM
Elite member

Trader Rating: (4)

The problem with the xmod is the electronics and there really is no tuning for them like the mini z's.The things that should change on the xmod should be smaller bearings in the knuckles and different number ones,better electronics and clean up the molds so everything fits better.One last thing get PN racing to make some parts because GPM & atomic is a joke.If i forgot anything please list.
Old 05-31-2009, 10:38 AM
Xmod Expert

I'm all in for an xmods only hfay kind of competition!

I'm on my quest for building a homemade foam mat track and I think it's a great idea for someone who can't afford RCP.

So this would be some kind of a low budget hfay series.
Old 05-31-2009, 12:30 PM
late model, xmods, microt

Trader Rating: (5)

Same as c1v1c.

I am also trying to build a cheap foam mat track. What size tiles though? I would go to lowes and buy a bunch of their 2x2.

The only problem would be a lap counting system...

Classes:
-stock(xmod only)
-modded(xmod only)
-Stock (micro t and xmod)
-modded(micro t and xmod)

those would be mine unless you want stock and modded for the micro t on it's own.
Old 05-31-2009, 12:52 PM
Elite member

Send a message via AIM to merc3des

I'm pretty sure you can hook up the transponder for lap counting for a mini-z to an xmod.

I love the idea, it just needs to be refined, and maybe if we're lucky, RadioShack will get involved.

This may be a wake-up call for RadioShack to put out some performance parts.

EDIT:

I say we get some stores involved, like Atomic, and XI.

A website with rules, and such would be great.

Mercedes Track Car v2 (50% finished) :
http://www.xmodsource.com/forum/showthread.php?t=18360

Comeback Supra Project (trust me tune in):
http://www.xmodsource.com/forum/showthread.php?t=20546

Last edited by Donziikid; 06-01-2009 at 03:15 PM..
Old 05-31-2009, 01:37 PM
micro-creationist

I understand that Mini-z's are a higher quality...since I have quite a few of them I'm very conversant with the differences.

What i'd like to propose as an xmod only comparison:

Stock class with stage2/minor mods
promod/option fets etc

I know that a timing system is unlikely for most but what kind of comparison could someone could suggest?

thoughts and such?
Old 05-31-2009, 02:34 PM
Elite member

do it like we used to in the 80,s

run 5min races whoever does most laps

this removes the need for expensive timming systems, but most mini-z transponders can be used on xmods

XMS and XMF february COTM winner
Old 05-31-2009, 03:23 PM
Modifier

Send a message via ICQ to Skv012a Send a message via AIM to Skv012a Send a message via Yahoo to Skv012a

Then let me ask something realistic- how many Xmod clubs are in your areas? How many of those would bother getting a 3-400$ lap counting hardware and RCP tracks? It looks to me like majority of us here are extremely scattered about the states and beyond, but there are hardly any 2 or more member within each other's reach.

Cowboy, you're lucky enough to own a huge layout, lapping system, and the community to work with, but you didn't buy all of that just for Xmods, right?

So the way I see it- majority of you guys would either have to piggy back on your local Z/whatever RC clubs that use RCP tracks and thus join the existing HFAY OR do a mighty amount of convincing and gathering to make a branch of a local club just for xmods.

As far as Xmods not standing a chance- from the official score tables, anything but MR02 doesn't stand a chance of winning (unless our best MR15 and MA10 drivers simply don't do hfay) and that excludes 2/3 Z chassis as well.

Let me throw in a closing example- in my area and NoVA there are probably 30-40 guys who do any RC stuff that I can think of. Out of those, probably less than 10 do 1/28 at all. Out of those NO ONE has any interest in doing anything with Xmods. So merc3des, there MUST be some kind of reason for these statistics, right?
Old 05-31-2009, 05:10 PM
Advance member

Trader Rating: (0)

I'm just getting involved with the Mini-96 World Championship on another popular Mini-z site. My main reason for not getting involved sooner is I had no lap counting solution. I found these guys are running on their RCP mini-96 at home and using a Microsizers Lap Counter found on ebay for about $5-6. At the end of the month everybody submits their lap times, setups and video if possible.

I just got my Micro-Sizers lap counter yesterday and it works great. Timed laps, 50-100 laps...whatever. If you guys wanna start a Xmods only event, speak-up. I'd say you need a RCP Mini-96 1st.

XMODS Mini-96 RACING LEAGUE??

Why we haven't done this sooner is beyond me...

+ Nissan GT-R
+ Audi R8

Last edited by aquaman; 05-31-2009 at 05:13 PM..
Old 05-31-2009, 05:40 PM
micro-creationist

Before I went completely crazy and spent an enourmous amount of money to get a Mini-Z club in Whistler I owned quite a few xmods. When I wanted to do laps or "racing" we took a warmed up yellow garden hose and made a basic layout at a Tennis court.

You can make it as basic or involved as you want...just as long as everyone follows the same layout and guidelines.

As Aquaman has stated (btw, you were at XMW back in the day aquaman?) microsizers has a super cheap timing gear that works just fine...

The whole point of this is to get into xmods comparisons...were not here to blow the doors off any mini-z league (which as you so kindly put won't happen, skv...)
Old 05-31-2009, 05:58 PM
drifter and engineer

Send a message via AIM to XMDrifter

the main probelm with even trying to put xmods in HFAY is that xmods are un such a lower performance level that it's pointless unless there's an xmod-only class.
thus this thread discussing an xmods-only league.
i think timed 5-min runs with whoever getting the most laps sounds like a cheap solution
Old 05-31-2009, 06:04 PM
Elite member

Send a message via AIM to merc3des

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquaman View Post
I'm just getting involved with the Mini-96 World Championship on another popular Mini-z site. My main reason for not getting involved sooner is I had no lap counting solution. I found these guys are running on their RCP mini-96 at home and using a Microsizers Lap Counter found on ebay for about $5-6. At the end of the month everybody submits their lap times, setups and video if possible.

I just got my Micro-Sizers lap counter yesterday and it works great. Timed laps, 50-100 laps...whatever. If you guys wanna start a Xmods only event, speak-up. I'd say you need a RCP Mini-96 1st.

XMODS Mini-96 RACING LEAGUE??

Why we haven't done this sooner is beyond me...
Your on to something I like this idea.

Mercedes Track Car v2 (50% finished) :
http://www.xmodsource.com/forum/showthread.php?t=18360

Comeback Supra Project (trust me tune in):
http://www.xmodsource.com/forum/showthread.php?t=20546

Last edited by Donziikid; 06-01-2009 at 03:15 PM..
Old 05-31-2009, 06:58 PM
Elite member

Skv sounds bitter, lol....

I believe in years past there was an Xmod driver who was so phenomenal his Gen 1 Xmod made it to the #22 spot on the overall HFAY rankings list -- beating out the vast majority of MR02's, MR015's and MA010's.

Then there was Gasman who was consistently the fastest guy in HFAY for a few years... with an old-school MR01.

Most people drive MR02's because it's a more versatile car that requires less setup to get in the general ballpark for both HFAY tracks and large racing tracks. But for HFAY, speeds are low and precision is high -- it's ALL about the driver, very little about the car.

An Xmod-only HFAY is a wonderful idea, but as mentioned in this thread already, the costs have to be brought WAY down. Wal-mart foam tiles are decent if you want a standardized racing surface, but then you'd have to standardize some rails too. Maybe PVC pipe, since those are readily available and easy to cut to specified dimensions. Then you can even specify where to put the duct tape so as to make the tracks as identical as possible for every participant.

The Microsizers lap counter is an excellent piece of kit as far as my forum-research suggests. Good investment for less than $30.

I think it'd be a good idea to allow any internal FETs (chip replacement) for a Stock class, and any-FETs-go for Mod (that would include Nellies and Spiders).

And as for chassis mods... these are Xmods after all, if I were to make the rules I'd encourage massive chassis modding, so long as the thing still remains an Xmod at its core (swapping an Mini-Z drivetrain into the car should probably be outlawed).

Done right, I think an Xmod HFAY could keep the cars alive for another year or two, but given that the series is on the decline I do wonder if we would have enough interest to do it right. A dorm-mate of mine has a Gen 1 Xmod, so between him and me we might have two occasional HFAY participants over the summer.
Old 05-31-2009, 08:49 PM
Rethink It All

Send a message via AIM to RedSXmodder Send a message via MSN to RedSXmodder

Leave it to cowboy to rise from the dead and respark a mini-flame in the xmodding community lol.

I'm all for it. I know a bunch of guys from around town that would also enjoy getting involved with this.

So, we've established that its a good idea...now its execution time. Where do we start?

Team Redmade Motors- Building Motors that rise above the rest!

Rethink It All
Old 05-31-2009, 09:31 PM
drifter and engineer

Send a message via AIM to XMDrifter

somebody's gotta start putting together a standard list of track amterials and building guidelines.

i'm guessing walmart foam tiles and the aforementioned microsizers lap timer. then rail would be 1/2 inch PVC pipe with thin foam strips on the sides to reduce damage to cars. standard PVC stoppers on the exposed ends also with the foam to minimize damage.

stock classes: awd and 2wd:
-awd allowed
-suspension kit allowed and must retain the air dampers
-no aftermarket alloy
-RS wheels only
-RS tires only
-maximum 2x2 fets
-NiMH/alkaline/NiCd power restriction
-must use stock battery trays and stock location
-bodies may be modified but must retain stock shape
-only RS bodykits permitted
-any wheel nuts
-open or sheilded bearings permitted (no ceramics)
-stock motor
-RS gearing
-must use xmod electronics
-must be an xmod
-no cutting of the chassis
-must use stock xmod chassis

that sums up stock i think
i don't feel like typing more at the moment.
Old 05-31-2009, 10:23 PM
Advance member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowboysir03 View Post
I know that a timing system is unlikely for most but what kind of comparison could someone could suggest?
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedSXmodder View Post
So, we've established that its a good idea...now its execution time. Where do we start?
For Lap Counting one has to have some sort of lap counter and/or at an absolute minimum, video and post to youtube.

I say abandon the race classes. In know it sounds nuts, but hear me out.

Theres just too many mods and no REAL way to police this. And I don't trust everybody's honesty. (Sorry guys!) Its a Run whatcha brung event. Having raced Xmods for the past 5-6 years in our Xmods of Tulsa group, I can tell you I've been modded beyond reasonable measure and still been beat by stock cars with only Radioshack upgrades. And on the flipside I've beat modded Gen 2's with my Gen 1 cars.

On a track such as the mini-96, control is more important than speed. Ultimately I say, If you can control a lithium modded Xmod on a min-96 then there's your edge.

View my Ghost Racing video of my lithium vs nimh and you'll see the lithium is initially fast and out ahead, but never runs off and leaves the other cars.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bUGDkPVZDNY

So post if you have:

1. RCP track or comparable track
2. lap counter or able to post video and times to youtube

Microsizers Lap Counter on ebay for $4.99

+ Nissan GT-R
+ Audi R8

Last edited by aquaman; 05-31-2009 at 10:31 PM..
Old 05-31-2009, 10:49 PM
TEAM DISPLACEMENT FOUNDER

Send a message via Yahoo to mr.hotrod

hey how does that microsizers counter work? like what makes it function?
fast and the furious tokyo drift mustang 100%
rsx rally car 80%
nine in the quarter100%
HMU on live folks MrHotRod1971