Go Back   XmodSource.com > XMS > New Members
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Gallery iTrader Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-01-2008, 10:26 PM

Trader Rating: (0)
Default Hello

Hello, I'm new here as you may have guessed. I really don't have much interesting as of yet, but thats why I came here, you guys seem to have all the cool stuff .

Anyway, I first got into these back when they first came out, and got the yellow skyline which I still have. And recently I got the new GT-R and thats just reminded me of how fun it was to fool around with these things.

Anyway, I've done some very basic mods to both of them, including only parts I bought from radioshack. Both of them are AWD and both of them have stage 2 motors.

I missed the whole EVO generation I suppose...but is the "Xmods Street" chassis the same as the EVO chassis?

Anyway, thats basically it for my questions and basically it for info about me and my xmods. Anyone have any suggestions as to what I should upgrade first for either car?

Oh and here's a picture.
Old 12-01-2008, 10:52 PM
Elite member

Trader Rating: (1)

hey and welcome to the site! feel free to ask any questions. good lookin cars you got they look like they are well cared for. search around in the tuts for mods you'd like to do, seeing theres hundred of options and posibillites. happy modding!!!
Old 12-01-2008, 10:53 PM
Owner of a 1992 Accord.

Trader Rating: (8)
Send a message via AIM to youngxmodder Send a message via MSN to youngxmodder Send a message via Yahoo to youngxmodder

welcome don't forget to read the rules and guidlines. glad you joined us.
Old 12-01-2008, 11:03 PM
Banned

Trader Rating: (3)

Welcome!
Old 12-01-2008, 11:20 PM
SPR

As for your questions. yes the street series is the exact same as the evo series, the only difference is now you cant change the crystals like you could in the previous two gens. how ever atomicmods has a tutorial on how to change that if you wanted too.

as for upgrades. well you've pretty much maxed your self out on radioshack. Next step is fet upgrades, motors and batterys!

would highly suggest XMDrift for an 2x2 FET stack, RedSXModder for a custom wound to your specs Team Redmade Motor, and a good lithium poly set up. Your cars will be screamers then! and of course me for all yoru future evo series purchases when you get addicted and require more cars bwahaha.

Welcome to the source!
Old 12-01-2008, 11:22 PM
Elite member

welcome to xmodsource
Old 12-01-2008, 11:30 PM
Bored...

Trader Rating: (7)

welcome to XMS! read the rules and have fun with it. feel free to ask about anything, but i reccomend you search before you make a new thread, and i would be willing to help. feel free to PM me question!
Old 12-01-2008, 11:44 PM

Well thanks for the warm welcome. I tried to take care of the first one as best I could because it was so expensive at the time (well for me at the time...I was younger then). But as you may have noticed, both of my mirrors are broken on the skyline.

Anyway, I was thinking about getting an airbrush and painting the old skyline after I read the "what paint to use tutorial".

And I might try out getting a better motor and the upgraded fet thing. I still need to read up on fets a little bit more though, all I've gathered so far is that some higher performance engines will break electronic things if I don't have upgraded fets or stacked fets or however you say it.

Also a side question, I just installed the AWD upgrade in the new GT-R today, and the front diff seems to make an awful sounding noise when only one of the front wheels are under load. I probably already know the answer to this, but is it supposed to make that noise?
Old 12-02-2008, 12:23 AM
SPR

Well if you guess NO. your were correct lol.

Sounds like you need the spacer on the drive shaft. Take one of the plastic "bearings" out, and make one out of a piece of cardboard from a serial box/note card. Place it between the original plastic bearing and the red gear, This should put enough pressure on it to stop it from missing the teeth, Grease never hurts either.

I think i have a spare set of skyline mirrors PM me for details.

but back to the FET's yes if you run to big of motor you will fry your stock FET's so you have to upgrade them to one that can handle more power, (stacking them is even better yet) so then your able to run larger motors.

theres a few people on here that will stack FETs for ya for a decent price, just search around, theres also tutorials on it if you want to try it your self (hope you have a steady hand and a good eye, its a pain lol) but to purchase a good set of FETs for a 2x2 stack will run ya 14 bucks shipped + installation.
Lithiums will run ya anywhere from 20-60 bucks depending where you buy from.

But if u need help and cant find something. just ask!
Old 12-02-2008, 01:44 AM
Elite member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kangae View Post

And I might try out getting a better motor and the upgraded fet thing.
ive been into xmods since they first came out. ive got about 14 of them in mint condition with various mods, and about half a dozen unopened gen1s that im holding on to.

if you are looking for better performance, you wont get much from an xmod. save yourself the time, the money and the effort and buy yourself a kyosho mini-z.

an xmod is fun to play with, a mini-z is fun to drive.

2 cents

Last edited by mustang-04; 12-02-2008 at 01:47 AM..
Old 12-02-2008, 05:34 PM
the torqueinator

Trader Rating: (1)
Send a message via AIM to kendallcschm

???? wow your a walking mini-Z commercial.... lol an xmod Gen 1 has a similar chassis so they would be just as good as any mini-Z .... just sayin... and xmod street is the same except for no racing crystals.. does this help you?

'65 Drag Mustang

mods to be made:
pro street rims
some sort of suspension upgrade (message me if you have suggestions)
soft drag slicks

Titan:

mods to be made:
CF driveshaft
composite driveshaft gears
Old 12-02-2008, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mustang-04 View Post
ive been into xmods since they first came out. ive got about 14 of them in mint condition with various mods, and about half a dozen unopened gen1s that im holding on to.

if you are looking for better performance, you wont get much from an xmod. save yourself the time, the money and the effort and buy yourself a kyosho mini-z.

an xmod is fun to play with, a mini-z is fun to drive.

2 cents
I like the XMods for what they are, if I just wanted to go fast I would just drive my real car...

But aside from that, it seems to be real hard to find an airbrush around me. I stopped at 3 hobby stores that said they stopped carrying them ...yet had racks of paint that said "airbrush only". I guess I'll just have to buy one online.

EDIT: No need to double post, I'll just edit it! Anyway, I just ordered some open bearings, aluminum wheel lugs and some of that trinity royal oil. I know a lot of people probably like the shielded bearings instead, but I hear they are harder to clean out if and when you need to, so I'll stick with the open ones and just do a little bit more maintaining. These are for the new GT-R by the way, I'm thinking show for the old one and go for the new one.

Last edited by Kangae; 12-02-2008 at 09:50 PM..
Old 12-02-2008, 11:03 PM
drifter and engineer

Trader Rating: (5)
Send a message via AIM to XMDrifter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kendallcschm View Post
???? wow your a walking mini-Z commercial.... lol an xmod Gen 1 has a similar chassis so they would be just as good as any mini-Z .... just sayin... and xmod street is the same except for no racing crystals.. does this help you?
why are you hating on z's?
the z"s are the ones that are supposed to be hating on us!
at MZR all those guys don't say a word about how bad xmods are, and here you are trying to diss on z's.
well guess what? z's don't have slop out of the box, and they don't glitch, and they have waaay smoother throtle and steering. and they have better balance, range, handling, efficiency, etc.
the gen1...ehhh...it's need lots of work involving EP swaps and loads of slo-reducing parts and mods to come close. same with evos. lots of work. and still, they would have handling and balance that would never be equal to a mini-z.
Old 12-02-2008, 11:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPR View Post
Well if you guess NO. your were correct lol.

Sounds like you need the spacer on the drive shaft. Take one of the plastic "bearings" out, and make one out of a piece of cardboard from a serial box/note card. Place it between the original plastic bearing and the red gear, This should put enough pressure on it to stop it from missing the teeth, Grease never hurts either.
Which plastic bearing am I removing?

Is it this guy?

And I'm putting a similarly dimensioned piece of thin cardboard in between those 2? I'm just trying to check if I got this all right before I go jamming cardboard in places it doesn't belong.

EDIT: Yeah I took it apart and did a closer inspection, you nailed it on the head, that's got to be where that noise is coming from.

Last edited by Kangae; 12-02-2008 at 11:46 PM..
Old 12-02-2008, 11:44 PM
SPR

yes exactly. make a thin carboard "bearing" and place it between those too. it should help take care of the slack.
Old 12-05-2008, 04:38 AM
Modifier

Trader Rating: (3)
Send a message via ICQ to Skv012a Send a message via AIM to Skv012a Send a message via Yahoo to Skv012a

Quote:
Originally Posted by XMDrifter View Post
why are you hating on z's?
the z"s are the ones that are supposed to be hating on us!
at MZR all those guys don't say a word about how bad xmods are, and here you are trying to diss on z's.
well guess what? z's don't have slop out of the box, and they don't glitch, and they have waaay smoother throtle and steering. and they have better balance, range, handling, efficiency, etc.
the gen1...ehhh...it's need lots of work involving EP swaps and loads of slo-reducing parts and mods to come close. same with evos. lots of work. and still, they would have handling and balance that would never be equal to a mini-z.
Now I can honestly second that. Chassis aside, given XM bodies are about $15 and unpainted Z bods are $18, the quality and detail difference is enormous. For one, there is NO issue with the mirriors. I tried to bend/break my RX7's mirror with same force that would normally crack XM mirrior and was out of luck. The ABS is really tough stuff and I personally want a RC body that will be banged all over the place to be able to hold up just fine.

What I still respect in XMs is necessity for some homebrew to improve performance and fact that they're cheap R/F/AWD RCs. Makes you get creative and see a significant improvement in the mod you do. Body kits are a plus too.
Old 12-05-2008, 05:43 PM

Anyway, I got my bearings, oil, and lock nuts in the mail today. And let me tell you those bearings are great, they cleaned up the slop in my front end and I don't even need that cardboard anymore. I guess now i need something to help my traction. I seem to have a problem doing hard turns on my tile floor...

EDIT: Forgot to mention that my front passenger side knuckle was glued shut from the factory, anyone know why this was?

Last edited by Kangae; 12-05-2008 at 06:09 PM..