Go Back   XmodSource.com > Xmods > General XMODs
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Gallery iTrader Today's Posts

Old 06-10-2009, 09:14 PM
Stage 2 member

Trader Rating: (0)

I have a issue. Its the new Gen.3 Z06, I've only ever had this one setup on it. At a stop, and I gun it, only my left wheel spins, being as this is a open differential, since only the left wheel spins, the diff sens all the power to that one wheel. Not only is this severely effecting my acceleration, tire wear, and noise, but its effecting my handling greatly at slow speed. Just RWD like a Corvette should be. My current setup is:
-Atomic Standard Motor
-Ball Bearings
-And a 10-23 gear ratio
It's always that one wheel, if i put just a little bit of downward pressure on the left side the right wheel spins like it should, i have swapped tires, and have put bushings on that side of the drive train, still to no avail to stop that left wheel spinning. All surfaces, all the time, in reverse as well.
I have owned a similarly equipped AWD GT-R with no problems, so is this just a normal RWD thing? Or is there some other way to fix it? I would rather not put a really really low traction tire on the right side to get that to spin as my handling when turning left is almost dead balanced but slightly on the understeer side, until it slows down and the left wheel starts spinning and oversteer occurs. And because of this left wheel spinning issue, when i turn right the weight transition is enough to plant that left wheel so there's no spin and tons of grip in the rear, which causes drastic amounts of understeer.

And BTW, i did check the differential on its own by hand, works smoothly both sides.

Last edited by DRFTKO; 06-11-2009 at 12:21 AM.. Reason: double post
Old 06-10-2009, 10:40 PM
Yes, 1945 Cadillac Tank

Trader Rating: (5)
Send a message via AIM to texan_idiot25

That's just the build quality and inconsistency of the xmods diff. You can try locking it it to force both wheels to spin the same speed all the time, but this encourages low speed understeer and high-throttle over steer.

I may be king of the idiots, but my kingdom is vast and my subjects are everywhere
Old 06-10-2009, 10:55 PM
Stage 2 member

How would locking it force low speed understeer? I'll try a different, older, more beat up diff.
Old 06-10-2009, 11:36 PM
Yes, 1945 Cadillac Tank

Because at low speeds, the inside and outside tire want to go different speends around a corner.

Skip this paragraph if you know why it has a diff: But, in a turn the inside and outside tire must take the same arch. But, each has a different distance to travel to make that arch. The inside tire, has a smaller arch and goes much slower than the outside tire that has to travel a larger arch, which spins faster.

When you limit the rear wheel's ability to spin at different speeds in a corner, it makes it harder for the car as a whole to rotate around the corner. Thus, unless your putting down enough power to create enough wheel slip, the car cannot turn as tight as it did with an open diff.

But at higher speeds with more power applied, you can force the inner tire to 'skid' along it's arch which allows the outside tire to travel faster. Or have a controlled amount of rear wheel spin and drift.

I may be king of the idiots, but my kingdom is vast and my subjects are everywhere
Old 06-10-2009, 11:36 PM
Xmod Expert

Trader Rating: (8)
Send a message via AIM to winner

Quote:
Originally Posted by VW AG lova View Post
How would locking it force low speed understeer? I'll try a different, older, more beat up diff.
it forces the car to want to keep going straight, and can lower amout of traction in the front....

that just the basic answer, im too lazy to get into the hole mathmatical part of it.

XBL Gamer Tag : Roar Pants
Old 06-12-2009, 07:17 AM
Elite member

i would lock it if your trying to make it kinda like a real vette, i belive the real vette doesn't have too good handing mainly because its a muscle car but im no expert as i live in the UK.

The Monster Mustang - Link

1955 Chevrolet Bel Air - Link

Old 06-12-2009, 11:06 AM
Yes, 1945 Cadillac Tank

That stereotype died after the 1st generation back in the 50s.

The vette is a world class sports (The base model does 0-60 in about 4 seconds) and in Z06 and ZR1 trim, world beating super cars. The car has had fuel injection, light weight fiberglass bodies, fully independant suspension, and 4 wheel disk brakes since the early 60s. And has won at LeMans and several other race series for decades.

Old 06-14-2009, 01:57 AM
Stage 2 member

True dat. The real Corvette does have insane handling and is NOT a muscle car. As with the diff issues, they have been solved. The pivoting bar that can raise one rear wheel and lower the other would get stuck and would make the left wheel be entirely off ground. Locked it through the putting screws through the holes on top.