Go Back   XmodSource.com > Xmods > The XMS Repair and Modification Manual > XMOD Body Tutorials
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Gallery iTrader Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-12-2007, 06:24 PM
Advance member

Trader Rating: (4)
Default SPLIT HOOD-4 modes!

This is my tut for split hoods:

Hello!
My second post is dedicated to all the extreme-customising-fellows...

I've seen the hood hingind tut on customxmodsparts.com and decided to take some ideas from it,develop them and create a tut to make splite hood side hinged.
The only issue is that if you want to run with this setuo you'll have probably to put some tape in the inner hood to not let it open while racing.

Difficulty : 8,5 (from 1 to 10),just because of the lenght due to trimming and big patient needed...

You'll need:

-#6 hinges
- glue
- fixed shape cutter
- scissors
- thin pliers with bended nose
- file and abrasive paper (I used 150,worked well)
- cutting pliers
- a piece of transparent plastic from any RS box
- a piece of plastic used in starter kits to fix body in thebox
- electric tape
- a hood to cut
- a big patience of course )

Read well all the tut and better every step BEFORE attempt it!

1)Take your hood and using the cutter split it:be patient and costant in doing this,overpushing the cutter could cause clefts in the hood.To better do this process use to cut from both side of the hood,inner and external.When cutted use abrasive paper to better finish the cut.

2)Now use the cutting pliers to remove ALL the 4 mounting holes on the hood and use file and abrasive paper to remove them perfectly

Sorry non pic for this ...

3)remove part of the side body support from the main body,using the cutter or the cutting pliers(WHEN USING THIS LAST USE JUST THE TIP IN SEVERAL MOVEMENTS,DON'T TRY TO CUT THE WHOLE PART IN A SINGLE BITE,THE RISK IS MAKE CLEFTS).I used heated cutter but it's dangerous for smokes from plastic...As usual use file and abr.pap. to finish.

here is my firebird:

4)take the plastic from the starter box(or any plastic with same thickness) and cut a small rectangle that could fit this space and glue it.this is the inner body,over the wheel:here will be glued the hing.

5)now take the hinges,but first a little note:

I've taken these ones: http://cgi.ebay.com/Xmod-Miniature-H...QQcmdZViewItem

NOT to make spam,just because I've seen the customxmodsparts ones are different in dimension,so probably they'd work different.

3 hinges for each part of hood are needed.Using scissor cut both side of 2 hinges in half.The last must have 1 side halfed and 1 side cutted of 1/3 (2/3 remain):here is this last hinge:

Then glue them together in this way,be careful to line up well the hinges:

the blue painted are 2 side of the SAME hinge and must be glued "inside";the two green painted are one side of the other 2 hinges;one that 'll be glued on hood (the longer in pic),and the other will be glued oi the inner body(where we'vw put the plastic before,high-right in pic).
Notice that this pic had been taken before cutting 1/3 of the "hood"hinge,but THIS is the position of the whole mechanism when hood is closed.

7)before glueing fix the hood with electric tape(this doesn't leave glue on plastic if removed in a few time)as this:

8)Now we must increase the thickness of the "hood" hinge to avoid that the hub lift a part of the hinge causing it not glue perfeclty(sorry for my English syntax)
To make this take the transparent plastic and cut 2 small pieces with the same dimension of the hood hinge.

and glue the 2 layers on the hinge,watch out the correct orientation of the hinges to not glue the layers on the wrong side of the hinge.Use cutter/file to finish.
The layer should appear in pic of 5th step over the higher hinge.
Here are highlighted in blue:

9)The first part to glue is the one on the body:in the following picture you'll see some tape,because it was a beginning try;just glue the half hinge in the same position on the body,allowing hub to protrude a little.Pay attention at the whole orientation.

9b)Then put some glue on the second plastic layer of the "hood" hinge,and glue it as far as possible from the 1st hinge;this will allow any interferences beetween tires/shock mounts and the hub of the second hinge(the lower one,the upper in this upside-down pic).Using the bended nose thin pliers help this work.

NOTE:superglue as ciano has a great power of capillarity,use it to better glue hinge-to-hinge,hinge-plastic layer,hinge-body

10)gently remove the tape from the hood and here are the results:

MODE 1:

MODE 2:

MODE 3:

MODE 4:

Good work,fellows!!!
Old 05-12-2007, 06:36 PM
Banned

Trader Rating: (14)
Send a message via AIM to xmodificationer Send a message via Yahoo to xmodificationer

nice man!
Old 05-12-2007, 06:46 PM
Elite member

Trader Rating: (6)

Whats the point of doin' that when if you fit something it will open?

Old 05-12-2007, 06:48 PM
Elite member

Trader Rating: (17)

because it looks cool, why do anything to your xmod if its only going to break at some point? you do it for customization and to be different. I say good job looks awesome!
Tamiya TA-02

Traxxas Hawk 2
Old 05-12-2007, 06:58 PM
Advance member

Trader Rating: (4)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mini-z drift View Post
Whats the point of doin' that when if you fit something it will open?
I think I've not understood the question(maybe becouse I'm Italian)
btu you meant HIT instead of FIT,am I wrong?

However Azngtboi88 has already answered:I did ti because it looks cool(I've played too much with NFSU2...)