Go Back   XmodSource.com > Miscellaneous > Real Cars: Full scale
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Gallery iTrader Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-06-2010, 08:05 AM
Elite member

Trader Rating: (5)
Default Driving

Hey guys, i thought id make a thread about driving wether its lessons or any type of experience you have had.

Today i had my first driving lesson, i didn't stall the car, the only problem i had according to the instructor was my road position but i got the hang of it by the end of the lesson. Im getting taught by a private instructor so its much cheaper. So i thought i would just be driving a Corsa because thats what most instructors use but no, im learning to drive in a 2009 (2010 america) ford fiesta turbo, i thought it was abit of coincidence because i watched Gymkhana 3 part 2 just before haha. Its a great car, easy to drive imo but iv never driven another car on the road.

Anyway share your stories from lessons, to passing, to track racing to crashing, ect ect..

The Monster Mustang - Link

1955 Chevrolet Bel Air - Link

Old 10-06-2010, 02:22 PM
Back from the bodyshop

Trader Rating: (1)

Well lets see i've been driving legally for about 5 years. Learned to drive a standard when I was 12. Since then i've driven alot of various stuff. Been into drag racing on long empty roads. Pretty much track tested my moms roush alot. Drifted with friends a night or 2 but stopped quick since I wasn't really near experienced to be trying it. But now i'm back to safe driving. I was definately not smart for doing any of that and luckily didn't have any bad experiences. But now I enjoy just going to car shows and cruising

http://www.nickgrant.co.uk/londontobrighton/013.gif
./_ _ _ ___ __\.
(]]]_ _ o _ _[[[)
|\_o_ __ __o_/|
|__|..........|__|
Old 10-06-2010, 02:57 PM
Yes, 1945 Cadillac Tank

Send a message via AIM to texan_idiot25

Learn how to properly adjust your car mirrors: http://www.cartalk.com/content/featu...alkMirrors.pdf

If done right, you'll have almost no blind spot on just about anything you drive, even SUVs.

Eyes always watching. Pay attention to driver's attitudes all around your car. In particular for aggressive drivers.

Look far down the road, not at the vehicle in front of you. How can you avoid objects and accidents if you're only looking at the road right in front of you?

Don't risk anything to avoid roadkill. Better to just hit the small animal instead of veering the car around. Large cats, however, are like hitting curbs with your tires. Aim to get them under the center of the car.

Give big trucks (lorries?) lots of room. They're rolling bricks, they can't stop or turn quickly. Don't go cutting them off when you pass.

Always look for bikers, they're smaller, and tend to move a lot. Don't get caught off guard by one.

Know your vehicle. Goto a large empty parking lot, or street, do some high speed stops. 45- 60mph or so. Get used to how your car reacts. New drivers often are surprised by ABS kicking the pedal back some, and if no ABS, it's good to learn your braking limits. RWD cars- learn how to correct oversteer.

Carry a good tool kit in the trunk- enough fluids, jumper cables, tools (know what sizes you need), flashlight (LED kicks ***), and a spare shirt. For instance, Honda loved 10mm bolts in the CRX, so I kept a set of short and long socket 10mm, 10mm box wrench, extension, single ratchet, screw drivers. Was able to do a good bit of work in that car with that simple set. Hell, I could adjust the valves on the side of the road if needed, even with a simple tool kit.

And finally, be relaxed. Don't get frustrated with traffic, don't be nervous either. I'm sure some driver's-ed teachers say to be frightened (to some extent) is good. I disagree. Respect what you're driving, know it's ~3000 lbs of rolling steel.

I may be king of the idiots, but my kingdom is vast and my subjects are everywhere

Last edited by texan_idiot25; 10-06-2010 at 03:02 PM..
Old 10-06-2010, 04:50 PM
Elite member

I have had my license almost a year now & I can drive better than most people. lol Not kidding either

I also to drivers ED to, which was super easy.

One thing you always need to do it pay attention to the road & remember that you can't rely on other people to pay attention to you, so always be paying attention to everyone & everything.

EDIT: Well I just remember a few things as Tex said a tool kit is a great thing to have, I have a full set of metric & standard size sockets with wrenchs & alen(However you spell that) wrenchs, every size of socket I need to work on my truck.

I have jumper cables, gloves, flash light, Medical Kit, Extra Batteries, Blanket, Broken down triangle thing, and other various things incase of a emergency.

Also a tire pressure guage is always something good to have.

Also make sure you have a jack & other tools needed for changing a flat tire.

If you live in a hot place or your driving in the summer when its really hot, like were I live its a good thing to carry a jug (1 gallon to be exact) of water, just in case you need it if your car over heats.

TEAM XI

Last edited by Bananabrain; 10-06-2010 at 08:32 PM..
Old 10-06-2010, 08:21 PM
Banned

Trader Rating: (0)
Send a message via AIM to Blade.

Quote:
Originally Posted by texan_idiot25 View Post
Learn how to properly adjust your car mirrors: http://www.cartalk.com/content/featu...alkMirrors.pdf

If done right, you'll have almost no blind spot on just about anything you drive, even SUVs.

Eyes always watching. Pay attention to driver's attitudes all around your car. In particular for aggressive drivers. You have to be and aggressive driver in a City. In a town, no need. Defensive is the word you are looking for.

Look far down the road, not at the vehicle in front of you. How can you avoid objects and accidents if you're only looking at the road right in front of you?That's obvious, however... Are you tail gating this vehicle? Or are you giving the vehicle 4 Seconds ahead of you? 5 Seconds in poorer conditions.

Don't risk anything to avoid roadkill. Better to just hit the small animal instead of veering the car around. Large cats, however, are like hitting curbs with your tires. Aim to get them under the center of the car.Have you seen a moose before? Have you seen a bear before? Have you even driven in an area populated with larger animals other than Coyotes and Cougars?

Give big trucks (lorries?) lots of room. They're rolling bricks, they can't stop or turn quickly. Don't go cutting them off when you pass.Somewhat agree-able. However, you should have taken note on how many trailers if it is a Super B-Train, a single B train, Car Transport, etc. Does the load look heavy, those items.

Always look for bikers, they're smaller, and tend to move a lot. Don't get caught off guard by one.Door prize?

Know your vehicle. Goto a large empty parking lot, or street, do some high speed stops. 45- 60mph or so. Get used to how your car reacts. New drivers often are surprised by ABS kicking the pedal back some, and if no ABS, it's good to learn your braking limits. RWD cars- learn how to correct oversteer.
Do you get snow in Texas? How are you driving in a RWD vehicle. Are you standing on the accelerator while hydroplaning, or spinning out in snow or on ice? Come on. You don't attempt to correct oversteer in these cases, on snow and ice it's pretty hard to correct yourself. Come to hydroplaning, get off that pedal.

Carry a good tool kit in the trunk- enough fluids, jumper cables, tools (know what sizes you need), flashlight (LED kicks ***), and a spare shirt. For instance, Honda loved 10mm bolts in the CRX, so I kept a set of short and long socket 10mm, 10mm box wrench, extension, single ratchet, screw drivers. Was able to do a good bit of work in that car with that simple set. Hell, I could adjust the valves on the side of the road if needed, even with a simple tool kit.I'll agree on this.

And finally, be relaxed. Don't get frustrated with traffic, don't be nervous either. I'm sure some driver's-ed teachers say to be frightened (to some extent) is good. I disagree. Respect what you're driving, know it's ~3000 lbs of rolling steel.Road rage? Respecting what you drive, means you won't have to step out of your vehicle and fix it.
Fixed it to my thoughts.
Old 10-07-2010, 06:44 AM
MEOWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blade. View Post
Fixed it to my thoughts.
Even with large like deer and bigger you are better off driving threw them, as big as they are they still move. You will find that trees don't, crushing your internal organs.

You can correct over steer on snow and ice, its really not that hard. Interesting that you analyze everything that tex post in this thread.

be careful young one you are still wet behind your ears.
Old 10-07-2010, 12:51 PM
Yes, 1945 Cadillac Tank

Send a message via AIM to texan_idiot25

Quote:
Fixed it to my thoughts.

You're trying way to hard to pick an argument when you're attacking safe advice. I can't see why you're arguing with; knowing your surroundings, knowing your vehicles limits in abnormal situations, and most importantly knowing and respecting that you're piloting something capable of doing lots of damage to you or others.

Quote:

I may be king of the idiots, but my kingdom is vast and my subjects are everywhere

Last edited by texan_idiot25; 10-07-2010 at 12:55 PM..
Old 10-07-2010, 04:14 PM
Banned

Send a message via AIM to Blade.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmythekid1 View Post
Even with large like deer and bigger you are better off driving threw them, as big as they are they still move. You will find that trees don't, crushing your internal organs.

You can correct over steer on snow and ice, its really not that hard. Interesting that you analyze everything that tex post in this thread.

Actually, Moose and Deer can kill you. He didn't say anything about the accelerator pedal nor the brake pedal. What if, some kid decides to stomp on the accelerator and try and correct over steer? That will cause the kid to end up in the ditch, or worse.
Old 10-07-2010, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Actually, Moose and Deer can kill you. He didn't say anything about the accelerator pedal nor the brake pedal. What if, some kid decides to stomp on the accelerator and try and correct over steer? That will cause the kid to end up in the ditch, or worse.
Actually he would be better off hitting the accelerator, hitting the brakes would put you in the ditch. Sure Moose and Deer can kill you but your better of not trying to swerve around them.

In general you suck, and regularly make you self look like a fool. What’s up with that?
Old 10-07-2010, 10:17 PM
Elite member

Quote:
Actually he would be better off hitting the accelerator, hitting the brakes would put you in the ditch. Sure Moose and Deer can kill you but your better of not trying to swerve around them.

In general you suck, and regularly make you self look like a fool. What’s up with that?
I woul rather hit the brakes & swerve if there was a deer or moose on the road. Unless there are cars coming on the other lane, then I wouldn't swerve.

TEAM XI
Old 10-07-2010, 10:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bananabrain View Post
I woul rather hit the brakes & swerve if there was a deer or moose on the road. Unless there are cars coming on the other lane, then I wouldn't swerve.
hit the brakes and swerve your gonna go sideways
Old 10-08-2010, 04:43 PM
Elite member

Quote:
hit the brakes and swerve your gonna go sideways
Actually thats not true for me anyways, I already had to do it once & the rear of my truck just followed the front. But I know its not true for everyone & every vehicle. If I had to do it again I probable would go sideways though.

TEAM XI
Old 10-08-2010, 06:41 PM
XMS Admin

Trader Rating: (35)
Send a message via MSN to zippo855 Send a message via Yahoo to zippo855

one thing you gotta remember people and its preached anywhere, YOUR BETTER OFF HITTING THE ANIMAL THAN SWERVING. you can cause more danger to yourself by swerving. i don't care how good a drive you are, i drive 40-50k miles a year in a state that has lots and lots of deer, and i still wouldn't swerve to miss a deer.
goes back to knowing your vehicle. apply the brakes, no ABS dont just slam them you wont slow down as quick as applying them gradually. and like tex says go to an open lot and find out how your vehicle does react to applying the brake hard. find out if your vehicle
If a collision seems inevitable, don't swerve to avoid the animal; your risk of injury may be greater if you do. Maintain control of the vehicle. Report the accident to the police and your insurance company. tends to move a little one way or another.

most accidents with deer happen before you even have time to react. they come running outta the ditch / fields / trees before you know they are there. your adrenaline will rush so high you cant process swerving around you would tend to over correct and cause rollover / lose control.

http://www.roadtripamerica.com/forum...imal-Avoidance
Quote:
If an animal bounds out in front of you, don't swerve immediately, but brake as quickly as possible
http://www.statefarm.com/learning/be...eroad_deer.asp
Quote:
If a collision seems inevitable, don't swerve to avoid the animal; your risk of injury may be greater if you do. Maintain control of the vehicle. Report the accident to the police and your insurance company.

TEAM X.I.
my massive collection of xmods
http://www.xmodsource.com/forum/showthread.php?t=13526