Go Back   XmodSource.com > Xmods > XMOD Modification
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Gallery iTrader Today's Posts

Old 08-27-2009, 06:55 PM
Honda Enthusiast

Trader Rating: (2)
Send a message via MSN to S2k Racer Send a message via Skype™ to S2k Racer
Default Any reason to use AtomicWire and Dean plugs?

I'm thinking of getting some AtomicWire and Dean plugs for my Gen1 and Evo but I'm wondering how they're better than the stock Gen1 Wires/Plugs.

I'm putting a Z board in my Evo and I'm going to solder motor plugs onto it, but I'm wondering if I should use Gen1 wires/plugs or get some AtomicWires and Dean plugs, if I do I'd probably get another set and put those in my Gen1 as well.

Anyone know anything about this?

Thanks, S2kR

http://www.atomicmods.com/Products/D...et__10104.aspx
http://www.atomicmods.com/Products/A...re__10105.aspx

My Buy/Sell/Trade Thread!

Last edited by S2k Racer; 08-27-2009 at 10:07 PM..
Old 08-27-2009, 07:06 PM
XMS Admin

Trader Rating: (35)
Send a message via MSN to zippo855 Send a message via Yahoo to zippo855

i order the wire 6 foot at a time. the superflex 18 guage wire is awesome. i dont use anything else now. easy solderability, really flexible, low resistance.
as for the deans, they are a good upgrade. wheter micro deans in an xmod, to ultra deans in bigger scales. minimal power loss at connector. and solid connection.
in my opinion, use it and you wont like anything else, trust me

TEAM X.I.
my massive collection of xmods
http://www.xmodsource.com/forum/showthread.php?t=13526
Old 08-27-2009, 07:11 PM

Trader Rating: (15)
Send a message via AIM to Kaze

its as Zippo said, the plugs and large gauge wires offer less resistance which means more power throughout the board. I personally use 20gage because it fits better but even 18 gauge in either gen on stock power runs smoother and responds better power wise, if you're a really sensitive RC driver you'll feel the difference easy.

Old 08-27-2009, 07:24 PM
Honda Enthusiast

If this wire reduces resistance should I be worried about the FETs?
If I used this wire from Batteries to board wouldn't this be giving the board more power and therefore needing more FET? or is the difference not that big?

Old 08-27-2009, 07:30 PM
XMS Admin

Trader Rating: (35)
Send a message via MSN to zippo855 Send a message via Yahoo to zippo855

no need to worry about fets. they will be fine. i have noticed less jitter from the steering by powering the board with better wire. as its not having the power loss when your getting on the throttle. stock wires are too restrictive in my opinion. stock wires dont allow allow enough power to the board when getting on the throttle. should make for smoother acceleration on the track and better driffting whilr messing around off track. does for me anyway.

TEAM X.I.
my massive collection of xmods
http://www.xmodsource.com/forum/showthread.php?t=13526
Old 08-27-2009, 08:38 PM
All 6's and 7's

Trader Rating: (8)
Send a message via MSN to bondo

Quote:
Originally Posted by S2k Racer View Post
If this wire reduces resistance should I be worried about the FETs?
If I used this wire from Batteries to board wouldn't this be giving the board more power and therefore needing more FET? or is the difference not that big?
7.4v is 7.4v no matter how much or little resistance there is.
anything over 7.4v and you run the risk of burning up the diodes on the board not the fets.
excessive motor draw is what will burn your fets so unless your running a hotter then stock motor,your fets will be fine.
Old 08-27-2009, 10:07 PM
Honda Enthusiast

Ok, thanks all, I know you're all going to say like I should search for it, but I have searched for it and I'm having trouble finding the answer to a question about Neo Mags.
I hear they increase motor torque, but I'm wondering if anyone has a simple explanation of how magnets work in motors, I'm also wondering if Neo magnets will keep the motor cooler or make it run hotter.

Thanks, S2kR

Old 08-28-2009, 12:25 AM
XMS Administrator

Trader Rating: (5)
Send a message via AIM to Donziikid

Quote:
I hear they increase motor torque, but I'm wondering if anyone has a simple explanation of how magnets work in motors
Without the magnets the motor wouldn't work at all. A DC electric motor is all about magnetism: the static field magnet of the magnets themselves on the outside wall of the can and the electromagnet spinning inside of these field magnets (the armature). Due to the nature of magnets we know that opposites (positive and negative) will attract and likes (pos. & pos. or neg. & neg.) repel. Inside an electric motor these attracting and repelling forces will cause the armature to spin.

When electricity flows through the coils of wire we have wrapped around each armature pole that pole will become magnetized. This magnetized wire will now repel from the corresponding magnet on the outside wall of the can causing the armature to spin. Since there are three poles on each of our armatures this happens in a very rapid succession causing the armature to spin as long as a current is provided.

Does that provide enough explanation?

Quote:
I'm also wondering if Neo magnets will keep the motor cooler or make it run hotter.
Theoretically there would be an increase in heat since the neodymium magnets offer more resistance. However, due to the application they are used in, you shouldn't notice this heat increase because it is very, very minimal. Probably not even enough of a heat change for you to even able to detect by human touch.

Cheers,
Kyle.

Greyscale Racing Member

The Collection:
Mitsubishi Pajero | AE RC18MT
TLMicroCrawler | Xmod ShowRoom | 'Yota XTruck
"The fun begins when the pavement ends."

Old 08-28-2009, 12:28 AM
Honda Enthusiast

Ah, ok. Now I need to decided whether or not to bother getting them for the X-Speeds I'm getting.

Old 08-28-2009, 12:37 AM
XMS Administrator

What will be the purpose of these X-Speeds? Many drifters swear by neodymiums but since they offer more resistance to the armature they're not often recommended for "high speed" use or "track" use. But, it always boils down to personal preference. You could always order one set (they're only $5.99 at AtomicMods, maybe cheaper other places) and see how you like them in one motor and later on down the road order a second or third set (not sure how many X-Speeds you are getting) if you like the feel of them with neo. magnets over stock magnets.

Cheers,
Kyle.

Greyscale Racing Member

The Collection:

Old 08-28-2009, 01:31 AM
Honda Enthusiast

I'm getting 1 for my drift gen1 and 1 for my "race" Evo and 1 for my MA10 which I actually am still waiting on.

well I guess I'll ask the guys over at Atomicmods if they would install a set in one for the Gen1, along with a 9tooth pinion for free/as part of the motor/magnet cost.

Old 08-28-2009, 01:32 AM
Elite member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donziikid View Post
What will be the purpose of these X-Speeds? Many drifters swear by neodymiums but since they offer more resistance to the armature they're not often recommended for "high speed" use or "track" use. But, it always boils down to personal preference. You could always order one set (they're only $5.99 at AtomicMods, maybe cheaper other places) and see how you like them in one motor and later on down the road order a second or third set (not sure how many X-Speeds you are getting) if you like the feel of them with neo. magnets over stock magnets.

Cheers,
Kyle.
I might be wrong but I think my t2 has neodymiums stock. Its magnets are about 3x the strength of my other motors. It maintains a pretty high speed.
Old 08-28-2009, 12:23 PM
XMS Administrator

You are right, the Atomic T2 comes standard with neodymium magnets.

I suppose what I was trying to say was that people can stand on either side of the fence for this one. Some motor builders may want to use neo. magnets in all of their motors because it offers more low end torque to get off the line, but they also offer more opposing-magnetism to get the armature to spin even faster. Theoretically, though, I feel that an ferrite magnet will offer less resistance from the magnetism allowing the armature to spin faster when wound with a low enough turn count at a perfect pattern. However, off the throttle, your motor will stop/motor brake that much faster with neodymium magnets than a motor using regular ferrite magnets. I think it all just comes down to personal preference and how/where you drive your RC.

Cheers,
Kyle.

Greyscale Racing Member

The Collection:

Old 08-28-2009, 03:34 PM
Elite member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donziikid View Post
You are right, the Atomic T2 comes standard with neodymium magnets.

I suppose what I was trying to say was that people can stand on either side of the fence for this one. Some motor builders may want to use neo. magnets in all of their motors because it offers more low end torque to get off the line, but they also offer more opposing-magnetism to get the armature to spin even faster. Theoretically, though, I feel that an ferrite magnet will offer less resistance from the magnetism allowing the armature to spin faster when wound with a low enough turn count at a perfect pattern. However, off the throttle, your motor will stop/motor brake that much faster with neodymium magnets than a motor using regular ferrite magnets. I think it all just comes down to personal preference and how/where you drive your RC.

Cheers,
Kyle.
Its been my dream to have a motor with the torque like a t2 that didnt drag off throttle. I guess this will never happen lol.
Old 09-09-2009, 06:29 PM
Elite member

Trader Rating: (4)
Send a message via AIM to merc3des

Neo mags are definitely something that can prove useful in a drifter. More torque/acceleration helps you transition, drift longer, and do tighter drifting obstacles.

As for wire, I know its been answered, but I prefer deans 20 gauge wet noodle, it flexes to shape, high quality, and really easy to work with. You can clearly notice a difference in responsiveness and consistency with new wires.

Mercedes Track Car v2 (50% finished) :
http://www.xmodsource.com/forum/showthread.php?t=18360

Comeback Supra Project (trust me tune in):
http://www.xmodsource.com/forum/showthread.php?t=20546