Go Back   XmodSource.com > Xmods > XMOD Electronics
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Gallery iTrader Today's Posts

Closed Thread

Old 01-11-2009, 02:57 PM
Stage 2 member

Trader Rating: (0)
Default 16.8 volts

Any body running a double set of Ly-ploys through an V2 board? I'm thinking of doing that to one of my drag cars. It's currently running one set of ly-pos with an V2 and a Chilli motor. If I do it right I can make up some jumpers to change it back. Would like to know how it performed
Old 01-11-2009, 03:16 PM

Trader Rating: (22)
Send a message via AIM to 123Vette Send a message via Yahoo to 123Vette

i hope you know what your doing... mess it up and thats a 50$ bored the ep of the car and maybe the liths and motor gone.... lotts wasted monbey... it is possible ive seen it before but you really should make sure your going about doing it right...
Old 01-11-2009, 03:29 PM
Stage 2 member

Opps missed up I met 14.8v.
Old 01-11-2009, 03:30 PM

Trader Rating: (22)
Send a message via AIM to 123Vette Send a message via Yahoo to 123Vette

still thats alot lol
Old 01-11-2009, 04:36 PM
drifter and engineer

Trader Rating: (5)
Send a message via AIM to XMDrifter

yeah...the v2 isn't terribly reliable. hell, i fried mine at 4.8v with a stock motor
btw it's li-poly not ly-poly. just a little side note.
you'll be able to run it, but once the v2 fries (the ep won't fry because the v2 is the only way that electricity gets to the ep) you'll have 50 bucks down the drain

if the v2 holds up (assuming its 30v 30amp rating holds true) then you would possibly get communator glazing, brush glazing, or burning up of the motor.
remember you need to cut those traces.
Old 01-12-2009, 12:51 AM
Working Class Hero

Trader Rating: (32)
Send a message via MSN to TripleXmodder(akaXXX)

Quote:
Originally Posted by XMDrifter View Post
yeah...the v2 isn't terribly reliable. hell, i fried mine at 4.8v with a stock motor
btw it's li-poly not ly-poly. just a little side note.
you'll be able to run it, but once the v2 fries (the ep won't fry because the v2 is the only way that electricity gets to the ep) you'll have 50 bucks down the drain

if the v2 holds up (assuming its 30v 30amp rating holds true) then you would possibly get communator glazing, brush glazing, or burning up of the motor.
remember you need to cut those traces.
I'm sorry, but as someone who uses V2.2 boards all the time, They are very reliable. They usually fry because people don't install them very good or they are not using a proper motor and burn it up. You have to know how to use them, and they are the best MOST reliable product on the market. Follow this tutorial (also has specs.) http://www.xmodsource.com/forum/showthread.php?t=15461 The V2.2 can handle alot, The Chilli would be the best to handle 14.8v, which is exactly what Im running in my dragster (V2.2, CHilli, Liths x 4) Checkout this link and checkout the Speedchecker photo. http://www.xmodsource.com/forum/showthread.php?t=15324

Just make sure to do clean solders, no loose wiring, and also the Chilli w/ 4 Lipos and a V2.2 can only run for about 13 seconds before you need to cool the motor.

XXX FREE modding Service: http://www.xmodsource.com/forum/showthread.php?t=17800
PM me for a quote or any questions. HAPPY MODDING

100% Positive Itrader feedback http://www.xmodsource.com/forum/itrader.php?u=6901
Old 01-12-2009, 01:24 AM
Yes, 1945 Cadillac Tank

Send a message via AIM to texan_idiot25

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripleXmodder(akaXXX) View Post
I'm sorry, but as someone who uses V2.2 boards all the time, They are very reliable. They usually fry because people don't install them very good or they are not using a proper motor and burn it up. You have to know how to use them, and they are the best MOST reliable product on the market.
I'm sorry, but in all the years I've been doing this, it's been the least reliable product on the market. Which is why the Nellys and Spiders have done so well. It's been installed by many people over the years, of all skill levels. It burns up easier than the other EP add ons.

I may be king of the idiots, but my kingdom is vast and my subjects are everywhere
Old 01-12-2009, 02:09 AM
Working Class Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by texan_idiot25 View Post
I'm sorry, but in all the years I've been doing this, it's been the least reliable product on the market. Which is why the Nellys and Spiders have done so well. It's been installed by many people over the years, of all skill levels. It burns up easier than the other EP add ons.

I had my first V2.2 fry on me, but like in most cases it was the wire touching because the contacts are so small you can hardly see them with your eye. After Atomicmods replaced it and showed me a better way to install it, I never had a problem. I now have 4 of them on the shelf and 2 have been through alot, and re-wired to new projects several times. I have never had and fryin since then and stand behind this product 110%. It is by far a more advanced regulater then the nelly or the spider (IN MY OPINION). For this reason it needs proper care and install and someone who knows how to use it. I am not knocking the spiders or nellys at all, I just think everyone keeps knocking the V2.2 because they don't know how to take care of them.

Not to mention the Nelly deluxe can only handle up to 12v (at $70.00) and the V2.2 can handle up to 30v (at $49.00). So for this install of 4 Lipo he would fry the Nelly.

The V2.2 is much more then a turbo and alot stronger then a nelly when used correctly.

The nelly is a turbo. Which I believe is just like stacking fets (thats why you have to remove the fets from your board) (don't quote me on this). The V2.2 is basically a BEC which regulates the voltage going to the motor the board and even to the servo and cleans it up as well, taking out servo jitter.

Again, Im not mad so You don't be. I am not bashing the nelly. It is a good product.

XXX FREE modding Service: http://www.xmodsource.com/forum/showthread.php?t=17800

100% Positive Itrader feedback http://www.xmodsource.com/forum/itrader.php?u=6901

Last edited by TripleXmodder(akaXXX); 01-12-2009 at 02:16 AM..
Old 01-12-2009, 12:32 PM
Stage 2 member

Nice thread XXX looks like I may give it a go. It looks like tires are going tobe a problem.
Old 01-12-2009, 01:45 PM
Working Class Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragbird View Post
Nice thread XXX looks like I may give it a go. It looks like tires are going tobe a problem.
Thanks. Yeah the tires will shread. You need a harder compond tire and you need to use tire lock glue. I would also suggest lock nuts. And if your wallet can handle it I would get GPM rear knuckles and dog bones. You will also have to lock the rear diff to hit these speeds.

Remember I am not bashing the Nelly by no means, but you need a V2.2 board for 4 cells. It is currently the only regulated board that can handle that voltage.

Old 01-12-2009, 06:50 PM
Stage 2 member

If yu go with a harder compound on the tires you will loose traction. I'm having that problem now. I'm using a set of slicks from my Firebird upgrade and stick compound like they use on slot cars. It would be nice to find a larger tire that is still soft.
Old 01-12-2009, 07:51 PM
Working Class Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragbird View Post
If yu go with a harder compound on the tires you will loose traction. I'm having that problem now. I'm using a set of slicks from my Firebird upgrade and stick compound like they use on slot cars. It would be nice to find a larger tire that is still soft.

Here is the problem, Yes you would traditionally want a softer compound tire, BUT With this much power to the tires at this scale (In my experience) you will shread tires. I suggest (Not the hardest) a harder compund tire with some good tread for traction. The tires (when driving) will soften a little from the heat generated. If you have a drag run, first heat the tires up with a couple quick runs, or hold the car still and run the tires (Like burnin rubber) first. Also a thicker drag tire will hold up better aswell.

Old 01-12-2009, 09:16 PM
Yes, 1945 Cadillac Tank

Send a message via AIM to texan_idiot25

Quote:
Not to mention the Nelly deluxe can only handle up to 12v (at $70.00) and the V2.2 can handle up to 30v (at $49.00). So for this install of 4 Lipo he would fry the Nelly.
I would love to see 30v run for any worthy amount of time. The Nelly wasn't made to run much over 12v because no motor can handle much over 12v. Other than that, it does the same job of the FET stack performance increase, and able to channel extra voltage straight to the motor with only the 7.2v for the board to run. It does everything the V2 does, but with out notoriously burning out, and in a smaller package.

While congrats your V2 is holding, they are notoriously weak.

I may be king of the idiots, but my kingdom is vast and my subjects are everywhere

Last edited by texan_idiot25; 01-12-2009 at 09:25 PM..
Old 01-12-2009, 09:53 PM
drifter and engineer

and they are aldo notoriously BIG. my old evo had so many traction roll problems with the v2 mounted(it was working perfectlay at the time) it wasn't funny. sure, drag races were fine, but when i started to slow dow to turn and come back...*flip*
the nelly's FET's hold up better to amperage than the v2's the v2 does have higher voltage tolerance, but really, who's gonna have 4 li-po kits stuffed in an xmod?
to a comparison.
find a:
1. stacked nelly
2. bug v1.0 (essentially the stacked spiderv4)
3. v2.2

and run them all on a 12t motor with a 7.2v li-poly
run them all on standard evo chassis(except for the li-poly)
time how long each one can hold up.

(ph2t used to run a 12t on with his stacked nelly, and by the way, ph2t is the creator of the nelly)
Old 01-12-2009, 10:12 PM
Working Class Hero

Quote:
and they are aldo notoriously BIG. my old evo had so many traction roll problems with the v2 mounted(it was working perfectlay at the time) it wasn't funny. sure, drag races were fine, but when i started to slow dow to turn and come back...*flip*
the nelly's FET's hold up better to amperage than the v2's the v2 does have higher voltage tolerance, but really, who's gonna have 4 li-po kits stuffed in an xmod?
to a comparison.
find a:
1. stacked nelly
2. bug v1.0 (essentially the stacked spiderv4)
3. v2.2

and run them all on a 12t motor with a 7.2v li-poly
run them all on standard evo chassis(except for the li-poly)
time how long each one can hold up.

(ph2t used to run a 12t on with his stacked nelly, and by the way, ph2t is the creator of the nelly)
Uh, who would run 4 lipo's or liths. ..... This forum was started because the member was asking about how these turbos would hold up to 4 cells. And also check my thread, 4 cell is what Im doing ... http://www.xmodsource.com/forum/showthread.php?t=15324 ... I respect your opinion but please don't reccommend the wrong product. This thread was for 4 cell and turbo and the V2.2 is the only regulated board that can do that, plain and simple.

(PS- I have never had a roll over)
(PS- Fried V2.2 boards are mostly user fault) :for Texan
(PS- The Chilli can handle 4 lith-lipo just fine, this set up is for a drag car that is intend ONLY to run short distance at TOP speed) :for Texan

Also I have used 2 Nelly's and I like them very much, as I stated before. I am curious who has so much comparision experience. I am just asking not assuming you guys don't have any. I know I do.

Old 01-12-2009, 10:44 PM
drifter and engineer

ok, for straight drag cars, any turbo that'll handle your voltage is fine

4 cells, fine to go v2.
i've seen you project tons of times dude.

for other applications, i'd still recommend the smaller turbos
Old 01-12-2009, 10:59 PM
Working Class Hero

Quote:
ok, for straight drag cars, any turbo that'll handle your voltage is fine

4 cells, fine to go v2.
i've seen you project tons of times dude.

for other applications, i'd still recommend the smaller turbos
Cool, I didn't understand why that went back and forth so much. Both good products in my opinion. You like Nelly, I prefer V2.2. we can agree on that I hope. But again the thread was for 15v input options.

Old 01-13-2009, 12:01 AM
Gen 1 junkie !

Trader Rating: (6)
Send a message via AIM to dontspamme Send a message via MSN to dontspamme

I just want to say, everyone has their own opinnion about this! No one is wrong, no one is right. Just a matter of perference.

Like XMD+XXX mentioned, everyone one of these is better for other applications then others. Just thought I'd throw that out there, although you guys probably already know .
Old 01-13-2009, 11:19 AM
Working Class Hero

Okay, just to drag this up again. I verified it. Here is the difference. The Nelly, is just like fet stacking, that's it. The V2.2 is much more it is a regulator (BEC) if you are familiar with them. It regulates the current to the servo as well, cleaning up servo gitter and sends more Volts to the motor and a reduced voltage to the servo.

I said that before, but I wasn't sure. But that is exactly the difference.

Old 01-13-2009, 06:24 PM
drifter and engineer

btw it's jitter. gitter is an incorrect spelling. we know what you're saying, but it's just one of the things that make me go OCD

if the nelly was only stacked fets, then there'd be no point for it to be directly connected to the power wires.
but i'll say in general, i agree. the v2.2 does have a better voltage regulation circuit