Go Back   XmodSource.com > Miscellaneous > Miscellaneous RC's > Misc Electric
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Gallery iTrader Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-27-2010, 09:08 PM
Elite member

Trader Rating: (13)
Default Wow what a bad day of wrenching on the Emaxx.

Let me start off with saying, who ever thought phillips head screws was a good idea is about to get a major smack in the face from me if I find them.

The other day I broke a driveshaft on the 3905, my 6 has steel shafts so I am in the process of robbing them from the 6 to put them in the 5.

Whoever wrenched on the 6 before me didn't know how to properly use the right size screw driver for the screws or something, nearly all of them were stripped. It got to the point that I had to bust out the big tools to get these screws out, and I even broke a drill bit. I am non to happy about that right now. I even had to drill the freaking chassis.

So, lets start out with the tools that saved my butt for this process:

Love my drill.

Ez outs for normal screws.

The big boys, used for taking hardened bolts out. Meant for 1:1 cars. Note the broken drill bit, we'll come back to this.

Note the drilling of the chassis, this was to fit the Ez out in there, just to get to the stripped screws.

This proved to not be enough, as shown in this picture:

Hey! There's the other half of my broken drill bit!

Almost all of the screws came out looking like this.

And, a final shot of the work space just because.

All in all, NOT a good day of wrenching. I planned to order new screw kits eventually, looks like this just sped up the process. I've got some on the 3905 that are going to be a nightmare as well, and those are hex heads.
Old 03-27-2010, 09:30 PM
is here

Trader Rating: (1)
Send a message via AIM to Stampedekid Send a message via MSN to Stampedekid

Well I've got some advice for you. Stay away from any hex kits by RCScrews(I recognize you had phillips head screws), while they are shiny, they are known to strip the heads and the other thingy can't think of the name *smacks his own forehead* I would try to get a 3905 hardware kit(its got the black oxide hex heads I believe unless the 3905 came with phillips head screws?) I'm sure they're on eBay or other websites. So far I'm yet to have one of them strip out on me, on my Slash or 1/16 E-Revo VXL
Old 03-27-2010, 09:34 PM
Elite member

Trader Rating: (13)

http://www.hexcrews.com/traxxase-max...ersionkit.aspx

Those are the ones I have been looking at getting, but was also thinking about the stock screw kit from the 3905 and just getting two of them so I would have spares as well.

Wonder if Traxxas offers a complete screw kit, I'm sure they would.. I'd go look but I'm off to go see Bounty Hunter with the old lady.
Old 03-27-2010, 09:57 PM
retired xmodder

Trader Rating: (4)
Send a message via AIM to mycrors4

get the axial set, i hear axial drivers are one of the best

Check out my B/S/T Thread

Want remixes of some songs... PM me.. I has DJ programing software

Inventor of the idea of using Bob Saget to name R/C parts

٩(-̮̮̃•̃)۶
Old 03-27-2010, 11:29 PM
MEOWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW

Trader Rating: (0)

your first problem was using mac extractors with a snap on drill that will never work...(in case any body can't read the sarcasm on my face that's a joke)

Just wondering have you ever tried using valve grinding compound on the tip of your driver to remove stubborn screws? I have had pretty good luck getting seized up screws out. Some times I even snap off the heads (not good:c). The compound really seems to give the driver some extra bite.