Go Back   XmodSource.com > Miscellaneous > Off-Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Gallery iTrader Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-04-2008, 05:49 PM
Yes, 1945 Cadillac Tank

Trader Rating: (5)
Send a message via AIM to texan_idiot25
Default mega pc help: keeps randomly crashing

Just started doing this today when I returned home. I usually leave my PC on overnight for music.

Anyhoo, get to surfing, and at random I get this screen:

(excuse the huge size, but it's so ya'll can read it clearly)

So I restart, does it again right after I login (I was gettin food, come back, its like this). Shut it down, and let it sit for abit, restart, log in, crash.

So I log into my other normal account (I have a bare bones user login I use for video editing, and then my normal one), and it crashes while logging in. Same screen every time. This time I'm lucky to be on my editing account

WTF?!

I may be king of the idiots, but my kingdom is vast and my subjects are everywhere
Old 03-04-2008, 05:54 PM
Stage 2 member

Trader Rating: (0)

If your logged in, try doing a system restore to a few days ago.
Old 03-04-2008, 06:01 PM
Banned

Send a message via Yahoo to Titantaw12

If the system restore does not work hate to tell you but you are prolly screwed. Can always get a new hard drive and start clean.
Old 03-04-2008, 06:13 PM
Banned

Trader Rating: (-1)

After I dropped my old laptop, it started doing this, and then I found a way that it wouldnt do it soo much,.
Hold in your disk drive,
Or hold your hard drive in, like, just push it in.
That did it for me, But your also not on a laptop.
Dont know what too tell you other then that.
Old 03-04-2008, 06:33 PM
Yes, 1945 Cadillac Tank

Well ****, I can't get it to restart in safe mode either. I get this in the screen:

Quote:
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS\System 32\ntoskrnl.exe

Windows could not start up because the following file is missing or corrupt:
<windows root>\WINDOWS\System32\ntoskrnl.exe
Please re-instal a copy of the above file.

1985_RX-7
About how long will that take? I only have maybe a 5-10 minute stint before it crashes.

I may be king of the idiots, but my kingdom is vast and my subjects are everywhere
Old 03-04-2008, 06:35 PM
Elite member

Send a message via AIM to lilskipro587 Send a message via Yahoo to lilskipro587

Texan,
It seems that you either have a overheated processor or bad RAM. What I suggest you do is use the computer till it does this and then reboot and go into the bios by pressing F8 and holding it right when the first boot up screen comes up and check your cpu temp. I'm not sure exactly what too hot is but to ball park it mine is at 90 degrees F right now. You are in a warmer climate and probably don't have as much case cooling as I do so I'd say what hot is upwards of 140-150 degrees? Not sure but if that is the case then go out buy a nice CPU heat sink and fan and some good thermal paste and throw it on your cpu. If the problem persists then it is likely bad RAM. Find out what type of RAM your motherboard takes and go out and buy some new RAM. Hope this helps!

EDIT: I read your above post and all I can tell you to do now is put your hard drive in another computer to salvage any files off of it then format it and reinstall windows.
"free the heel and ski for real"

Fujica STX SLR still for sale.
Looking to build computers by order.

-Contact me on both.
Old 03-04-2008, 06:38 PM
Yes, 1945 Cadillac Tank

(using my family's 2nd pc to post)

My temps average just below 120*F while just using it normaly, no higher then 135-140*F under 100% CPU usage. The PC has a fan on the CPU, an outlet fan on the back, and a small fan I put between the case and the front cover, to cool the HDD since apparently this line of HP's was notorious for getting the HDD hot after long periods of time.

I've left it on for longer stints of time with no issue...

We'll see in awhile. In theory, can I take out the HDD, plug it into another, find that file online, add it to my PC's HDD, plug it back into my PC, and it work?

Last edited by texan_idiot25; 03-04-2008 at 06:40 PM..
Old 03-04-2008, 07:12 PM
Yes, 1945 Cadillac Tank

Quote:
EDIT: I read your above post and all I can tell you to do now is put your hard drive in another computer to salvage any files off of it then format it and reinstall windows.
It's getting to the point where it automatically takes me to the screen to select safe mode, and still fails at even starting up...

****it!

So, just plug the HDD into a different PC, and start copying and pasting? I've got an insane amount of stuff to transfer...

Old 03-04-2008, 07:18 PM
Elite member

Trader Rating: (6)

I'm no computer guy but, maybe buy those huge external drives, copy "Local Drive" into the ex, and maybe it will work. I doubt I help.

Old 03-04-2008, 07:24 PM
XMS Administrator

If you start the computer with the windows cd in the drive (you may have to tell bios to start from cd) you should reach an option to repair windows where it will replace the missing file. Testing memory is no big deal...google search memtest or something, it's a floppy you make that runs the computer without the hd and read writes every sector of ram over and over. Lastly, my friends dell laptop did this exact thing while he was out... I went into check the services and none were running... I wrote it off as a virus (I dont care what type of virus software you have, they all have weaknesses) and formatted his hd and installed a fresh clean version of windows. That was a year ago and it has been perfect ever since.
Old 03-04-2008, 07:31 PM
Yes, 1945 Cadillac Tank

I'll see if I can grab a windows CD, does it matter if it was the one used originally?

I'll try that before messing with the HDD.

Quote:
Testing memory is no big deal...google search memtest or something, it's a floppy you make that runs the computer without the hd and read writes every sector of ram over and over.
What's this soposed to prove/disprove? And, this is 2008 man, no floppy drives on my pc

Old 03-04-2008, 07:35 PM
XMS Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by texan_idiot25 View Post
I'll see if I can grab a windows CD, does it matter if it was the one used originally?

I'll try that before messing with the HDD.

What's this soposed to prove/disprove? And, this is 2008 man, no floppy drives on my pc
Its weird but you have to make a floppy cd, I didnt fully understand but i had to make a cd with a floppy file structure for the bios to recognize it and not try to start the hd. The test proves or disproves faulty ram which is the number one cause of lockups/crashes. For restoring lost windows files any disc as long as it's in the same family (XP) will work fine.
Old 03-04-2008, 07:38 PM
Yes, 1945 Cadillac Tank

will the office xp proffessional fix my PC with xp home?

Old 03-04-2008, 07:40 PM
XMS Administrator

if you are missing a file...yes, the problem is...where did the original file go? this is where we ran into the problem with my friends dell which led to wiping it clean and starting fresh.
Old 03-04-2008, 07:40 PM
All 6's and 7's

Trader Rating: (8)
Send a message via MSN to bondo

my PC was doing something similar just 2 days ago.
i was getting similar crashes and the the auto re-start.
then it did just like you described, it would restart and give me the option to start in safe mode, normally or at the last known point of working order.
but it wouldnt restart. it would start to and then flip back to the options screen.

luckily, before it started cycling through the options screen, i had transferred most of the files i wanted to keep to my D: drive and then reformatted the C: drive.

that got me backup and running.
after that i transferred all of the files to jump drives and disks and reformatted the whole hardrive with with a winXP disk from my old(good) computer.
Old 03-04-2008, 07:42 PM
Yes, 1945 Cadillac Tank

My 30-40 gigs of music

My godmother is sending a copy of XP office and I'll see if it works. Won't reboot until I have the CD.

Old 03-04-2008, 07:42 PM
XMS Administrator

(sits back...looks at his Mac...and grins)
Old 03-04-2008, 07:46 PM
Yes, 1945 Cadillac Tank

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZX9RBART View Post
Oh shut up!

Old 03-04-2008, 07:49 PM
Stage 2 member

macs arent all that great... my mac laptop won't go past the very starting screen.. the spinning thing freezes.. any ideas?
Old 03-04-2008, 07:49 PM
That's what she said.

Trader Rating: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZX9RBART View Post
Sits back, reads the comment, and starts playing Midnight Club 2...