Go Back   XmodSource.com > Xmods > XMOD Modification
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Gallery iTrader Today's Posts

Old 12-28-2006, 11:49 PM

Trader Rating: (0)
Default Weight distribution

Hi, I'm wondering if anyone else has noticed that under hard corners at speed the car has a tendency to spin out more when turning right, the placement of the motor (evo chassis) being slightly left of center i feel may have some effect on this. Does anyone have any suggestions for obtaining a better 50/50 centerline weight distribution??

EVO VIII
-AWD
-stage 2 motor
-suspension
-aluminum knuckles (f & r)
-aluminum lower arms (f & r)
-body kit
Old 12-28-2006, 11:53 PM
F-150 k!ller

no just get some better tires.
Old 12-29-2006, 01:44 AM

Actually that has to do with your particular vehicles "tweak". I had the same but oppoisite problem until i sat down with a height gauge and some calipers. My car would understeer on hard right hand corners, but totally lose it and spin out on left hand corners. So just like in 12th scale pan cars I had to set the chassis tweak.

I'll try to explain a little better. How your car initializes its turning depends solely on how the tire are planted right from a straight line. If you take a right hand turn and you car spins out, but pushes (turns wheels goes straight) on a left hand turn you might have too much preload on the right front tire. Meaning it is actually sitting lower than the other tires relatively and causing the suspension to roll to one side too early. Try loosening the top knuckle screw a half turn at a time on the left front to see if it stops. I can post pictures tomorrow if this isn't clear enough. There are a myriad of ways to tweak these things, you just have to experiment.
Old 12-29-2006, 01:53 AM
Elite member

I noticed that the front drivers wheel picks up on my lifted hummer (with custom tall tires) when turning left...
Old 12-29-2006, 02:44 AM
Elite member

Trader Rating: (1)

Like Tjoh said, tweak affects handling far more than a little CG imbalance. I had a little on my Gen 1... you can literally bend the chassis a little with your hands while the screws are still tight, so I bent mine into shape and it ran like a champ.
Old 12-29-2006, 09:39 AM

Default sweet

Right on, I have a pretty good idea of where to start on my car, thanks for the help.