Go Back   XmodSource.com > Miscellaneous > Off-Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Gallery iTrader Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-09-2006, 12:11 AM
The Daywalker

Trader Rating: (1)
Send a message via AIM to Numbchux Send a message via MSN to Numbchux Send a message via Yahoo to Numbchux
Default anyone tried R/C helis?

I got to fly my uncle's blade CX last weekend.....and all I can say is that I won't be using my xmods for awhile now!! haha, this thing is sooo sweet!!

it's a coaxial one, so it has 2 counterrotating rotors which makes it extremely stable. but is still fully functional, and pretty agile. though not very acrobatic...

http://www.e-fliterc.com/Products/De...rodID=EFLH1200

anyone else tried one?

some people think driving an R/C car towards them is hard, just try keeping a heli in the air when it's facing you!!

"Where are we going, and why are we in a handbasket?"
Subaru --- All We'll Drive
Member: NSW, USC, MNS, C4C. Founder/Owner: NCC
Old 08-09-2006, 12:33 AM
Banned

Trader Rating: (0)

U should try to jump ur xmod over it lmao. but its cool.
Old 08-09-2006, 10:51 AM
get on ur leash

Send a message via MSN to skyline-rsx392

i once started to fly a 3D heli that a shop was letting customers use and i took it from the air...nearly crashed the **** thing thank god the shop owner/manager/employee or w/e he was was there or i seriously woulda have **** my pants. i think they were trying to let customers crash them so that they could buy them. u know the old saying 'u break it, u buy it'
Old 08-09-2006, 01:06 PM
The Daywalker

Send a message via AIM to Numbchux Send a message via MSN to Numbchux Send a message via Yahoo to Numbchux

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyline-rsx392
i once started to fly a 3D heli that a shop was letting customers use and i took it from the air...nearly crashed the **** thing thank god the shop owner/manager/employee or w/e he was was there or i seriously woulda have **** my pants. i think they were trying to let customers crash them so that they could buy them. u know the old saying 'u break it, u buy it'
it's really hard!! but once you get the hang of it....really awesome!!!!

Old 08-09-2006, 01:42 PM
Xmod Expert

lol, my dad's going to be getting the Align TREX 450XL. I tried piloting one once, it went straight up really high and then the tail just started spinning like crazy! I didn't know how to use the controls for the tail rotor :P Ah, well, atleast the owner was there to grab the controls before the heli killed itself!
Old 08-09-2006, 02:05 PM
Stage 1 member

Send a message via Yahoo to ericjr
Smile

We'll I've never flown one but I'd really like to. How much do they cost and how long do they take to charge. When I went to my grandma's, I found my uncle's (who died) old radioshack rc dune buggie (from 1988). It had a huge electric motor and took a buttload of batteries (4 AA and a battery pack in the car and 6 in the controller). The thing took 5 hours to charge but when I drove it, it was awesome. It peeled out in REVERSE. I drove it in my grandparent's slick garage and without he turning the wheels at all, it was doing donuts. I wish I could of taken it home but it had a lot of centemantal value to my grandma since it was her son's and he died, so I didn't mention keeping it, but when ever I go up to my g-ma's crib, I'll drive it. I looked for a pic but could'nt find one (cuz it's so old).
Romans 1:16 "I'm Not Ashamed"

NSX: Black W/ Yellow Wild BodyKit
Costom Wheel and Brake Caliper Upgrade
Decals
Perfomance: Stock
Old 08-09-2006, 02:31 PM
Xmod Expert

What does your dune buggy have to do with helis?

The one my dad is purchasing is about $500 and is a kit. It nees a radio (transmitter) receiver, gyro, ESC, brushless motor, li-poly batteries and charger.

The radio costs about $600, the receiver about $100, gyro, I believe is around $120, ESC and brushless motor is about $200-350 if I remember correctly. battery is aabout $80 (going to get more than one, of course) and AC/DC charger would be $250. Even if it is li-poly, don't skimp out on the charger, it'll bite you back later.

Unline Ni-Cad and Ni-MH, you don't need a battery discharger and equalizer before you have to charge.

EDIT: forgot to add the servo, which is about $75 We may even get a fail-safe incase we lose range.

A rule of thumb is to never skimp out on your equipment, especially if its an air-operated R/C. If you're running a nitro heli, even worse, losing range, or having interferance can totally kill your heli or have it fly away and never come back.

Last edited by REDisFASTER; 08-09-2006 at 02:39 PM..
Old 08-09-2006, 03:30 PM
Stage 1 member

Send a message via Yahoo to ericjr

We'll, first of all, the dune buggy has nothing to do with the heli, I just wanted to bring it up and second, 500 bucks is way to much for me.
Romans 1:16 "I'm Not Ashamed"

NSX: Black W/ Yellow Wild BodyKit
Costom Wheel and Brake Caliper Upgrade
Decals
Perfomance: Stock
Old 08-09-2006, 03:55 PM
Observer (for now) :)

Trader Rating: (15)
Send a message via Yahoo to XMODification

I got 2 of them (both electric) - one is for starters and the other is more for advanced level skills. I had bought the Sabre for like $125 when it was on sale - it's fun but it can be expensive - so far i've broken 2 sets of tail rotor blades , 2 sets of the main rotor blades and 1 set of the landing gear all in the name of practicing to get it up and flying the **** thing for more than 3 mins. The other one is **** tuff - i got it of Raidentech for $60 - so far i haven't broken anything and since it for beginners - i'm getting the hang off it more. It's fun overall but it does require skills and $$$ to keep 'em flying right (even if it's electric)
Old 08-09-2006, 04:40 PM
Xmod Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericjr
We'll, first of all, the dune buggy has nothing to do with the heli, I just wanted to bring it up and second, 500 bucks is way to much for me.
lol, and its just for the kit.

My buggy, a Team Associated RC10B4 costed $335 for the kit, and at the moment, I've got $1780 in it already. I wonder how far my dad'll get with that heli, my radio only costed $280, his costs $600 lol.
Old 08-10-2006, 02:38 AM
The Daywalker

yea, helis are expensive. the blade CX is pretty much the cheapest fully functional one you can buy, for a touch under $200 RTF.

it makes sense, you need at least a 4-channel radio. 2 motors, and 2 servos. or 1 motor and 3 servos....depending on the design. lightweight battery that's still worth more than a minute of fly time. etc.

he's got another one, not sure of the cost on it, but it's a radioshack one. only 2 channel. one for altitude, and one to rotate it. idea being that it will drift a bit towards the front, and you can just point it the direction you want to go.....but it really doesn't work that well.

Old 09-24-2006, 02:43 PM
Elite member

I have ans SRC Dark Knight 2SE which is identical to the Venom Night Ranger 3D. It is tough to fly, but I'm getting the hang of it. I'm in the process of installing an all aluminum Bell Hiller head on it.

Old 09-24-2006, 04:19 PM
Banned

Trader Rating: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by skylinedriver
I have ans SRC Dark Knight 2SE which is identical to the Venom Night Ranger 3D. It is tough to fly, but I'm getting the hang of it. I'm in the process of installing an all aluminum Bell Hiller head on it.

Looks awesome.
Old 09-24-2006, 07:55 PM
Elite member

Thanks man. I'm thinking about getting a Blade CX for those rainy days. There're small enough to fly indoors.