Go Back   XmodSource.com > Miscellaneous > Real Cars: Full scale
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Gallery iTrader Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-12-2007, 01:19 AM
Yes, 1945 Cadillac Tank

Trader Rating: (5)
Send a message via AIM to texan_idiot25
Default Texan's 1969 Chevy CST/10 project

Just ****in' around to the older forum I havent been to in ages...

This truck is the proverbial found it behind a house type story. My neighbor had it stored at a friends of his's house for a long while. It was gonna become a work truck, but it was too long to fit into his garage. So he offered it to me for $500. Its a (rare) 1969 Chevy CST/10. CST is short of Custom Spor Truck, the top trim level for the Chevy C10s in '69. Much like how Denali is top ranks for the Yukon. Only 6% of all the pickups in '69 were the CST package, and around an estimate 5000 or so in my trucks configuration, The longbed CST10, as opposed to shortbeds/CST20s/CST30s/etc

For the sake of time, Im just gonna quote from my thread on XMW:

Quote:
As of yesterday, Im now the PROUD owner of a 1969 Chevy CST/10!

This isnt at my house yet. Were gonna rope tow it this saturday.

$500, the guy who owns that cougar, he let me have it for a deal. He was gonna sell it online for 2 grand, but would rather it be in my hands.

No engine or trans, but the body is straight, and dent free. Just rusted at the rocker pannels, but its not like thats uncommon, and classicparts.com has replacements for 20 bucks. The interior is rough. Its a short bed, long cab configuration. And its the rare CST/10. Only 2000 were made in '70, so I assume the figures are the same, if not less for the 69.

He offered it friday afternoon, check it out that night, was grilled about responisbility all weekend, pulled all my cash from the bank sunday, bought it that night.

I was gonna do the GMC, but this is something you cant pass up.

Things todo:
-Already have a EFI 350 small block from like a 96 Tahoe?
-Possibly a 700R4 Transmission, its the one my dad had in storage. Its a 3 speed auto w/ over drive
-Paint is Harley-Davidson Orange, and in good shape. Just really needs to be washed.
-all the works to make the engine run, andlegal.
-some trim pieces around the tail lights and tail gate are gone. No big deal
-Painting those farm-truck-white rims black.
-disk brakes upfront
Quote:
7am, and the morning is still cool. We jump into a friends truck, and head out.

Todays Mission: Pick up the CST/10.

So we get to the house its stored at, and back in the GMC pick up we borrowed for the day. chained it up to the CST/10, I jumped into the GMC, my dad took the CST/10. Things were tight (pull the CST/10 around a Camaro, across a drive way that goes over a ditch, and pull a tight right turn into the coldesac). No problems, nothing hit.

tow bar hooked up.

Thats GM brother hood, lol. GMC pulling the ol' Chevy.

And off we go. No misshaps towing it to a $1 pressure washer station, besides the CST/10 front tires screching around tight corners from stops. We spray some engine degreaser all inside the engine bay, and go get some drinks while it soaks.

Coming home was almost un-eventfull, at on point the hood poped up and caught the 2ndary latch, and one motor mount vibrated out, and off (landed loudly) once we got into our neighborhood.

Pull, up, un hitch, and the 1st before-cleaning-picture:

After an hour, and 2 buckets of water later, she's all orange again! :bling:

the difference

Its been dubbed "OrangeCrush". My grandma stepped out, and saw it. She said "Oh my, Yall should call it OrangeCrush".

So, I dig the name. This will be a slow project, all depends on what cash I make, Ive gotta pay for it all.

Time to get a job...
Quote:
For its age, its in good shape. The rust is only in the common trouble places, that there is patch panels galore for. The rockers have it, and the front fender, right at the bumper, and the passenger A-pillar are the troubles spots so far, and a weak cab corner that flexes when the passenger door is opened. That will be fixed, and the A pillar will be fixed. The rest can be done later when the exterior gets a total make over later on down the road

Whick isnt that much, when you see what other people start with, I got lucky, .

The last owner did some **** job on wiring. Not the guy I bought it from, but the one before him. Wired the fuel pump to a switch under the dash, but not to say a oil pressure switch. Also the sony tape deck thats in and amp is wire and twist nut land. Thats all going. We might try to fit a sub from an escalade in the passenger cab corner, and some new door speakers. Since thats all available for pretty much free from my dads work.

We going to make custom door panels, just planing out materials and what design right now. And a custom grille. One is dirt easy, the other is a lil more complex, but should have a cooooooool effect. Both are about the same price to do.

Its mesh vs. plexiglass. Either do simple black mesh, or what he thought up was buy some clear orange plexiglass sheets, and cut out slats. Mount one on top another with about 1/8 gap in between. Then at each end of each slat an idea was to wire in LEDs to light the grille. Maybe even making that the front turn signals if you know what I mean.

Try to imagin that in your head :P
Quote:
Abit of work done, and the interior is about as stripped as we need it. With the exception of all the wiring which needs to be re-done.

Got the a/c blower to come on

Radio now stays on

Door panels gone, steering wheel gone, glove box fixed

Cowl vent screen made, and installed:

Interior:
Yes, the gas guage says full... lol

Basicaly just saving up cash right now, so when we order parts all at once, the shipping will be cheap.
Thats just a bit of it, goto http://www.xmodworld.com/modules.php...wtopic&t=22470 for the full thread, an arguement on springs, and more details and such.

I may be king of the idiots, but my kingdom is vast and my subjects are everywhere

Last edited by texan_idiot25; 10-07-2007 at 11:35 PM..
Old 03-12-2007, 02:10 AM
XMS ADMINISTRATOR

Trader Rating: (17)

awww...my most favorite truck in the world, congrats
My XMODS
Proud member of Team NCXR

WANTED: Gen. 1 cf Chassis Upgrade (just parts from the upgrade will do fine)
Old 03-12-2007, 02:15 AM
Xmod Expert

Trader Rating: (0)

That's in pretty good condition, actually!

I love those old boxy-trucks! Todays trucks are too round! Awesome fetch!
Old 03-12-2007, 02:29 AM
Yes, 1945 Cadillac Tank

The GM brothers are still boxy

I love the both. Unlike that porky, unholy thing called the new Tundra...

These things are a bit rounder than you think, and I love these old time body lines.

This is my dream truck, ever since I saw the C10 special edition in Truckin' mag, I drooled over the chance to own one... even though their hard to find cheap. Then 6 months later, I now own one. I bought it back in January.

Some ya'll might remember my past plans to do a 1998 GMC Jimmy http://www.xmodsource.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4004 . But I couldnt pass this amazing truck up.

Some things need to be changed a bit from the original plans:

New rims, some 17x7s front, 17x8s rear. Down to a few choices on what style. Lowed about 2 in the front, maybe drop the rear a few. But thats not final til we get an engine in and see how low it drops on its own. front disk brake conversion (GMC pauls, comes with lowerd spindals). The tahoe V8 is still an option, but Im gonna start trying to work my dad into using his 400hp TPI V8 that he has in storage since its literally, ready to go (see GMC thread for that engines story, im sure its there). But itd have to be de-tuned before I would get it... "400hp is too much"... Yeh, my dad has a 400+hp Camaro in highschool, lol. Never dyno'd, but ran 12s on street radials, and did a high 9s with drag slicks and racing gas, so you know it did business.

I may be king of the idiots, but my kingdom is vast and my subjects are everywhere

Last edited by texan_idiot25; 03-15-2007 at 03:04 PM..
Old 03-15-2007, 09:49 AM
Advance member

Send a message via MSN to ScoobyBoy

That one on the left is wicked
All Wheel Drive
Metal Wheel Nuts
Custom Neons
Command Logic Lights

Soon...
Stage 2 Motor
Suspension Upgrade

Maybe ...
Lith Batteries or 6 Cell Upgrade
Carbon Fibre Chassis
Old 03-15-2007, 10:49 AM
Elite member

Send a message via MSN to adam

thats lookin pretty good
Old 03-15-2007, 03:01 PM
Yes, 1945 Cadillac Tank

THanks guys.

The one on left is the Silverado.

Started a bit of interior work today, making some door panels.

This will be the backing for the custom door panels. Both sides were cut from 1/8 inch particleboard, traced from the original door panels. Then the window crank and door handle holes were drilled out. Later the mounting screw holes will be drilled once I get a final fit (still a bit of trimming here and there, but for now both fit up real good) and the bottomc corners will be rounded. Arm rests will be made, and like the Copperhead from Trucks!, will mount in the stock location, but stretch forward to cover part of the door handle. Just the round part, leaving the handle sticking out enough to grab. Giving it a more modern look.

Old 03-15-2007, 06:04 PM
Stage 1 member

I h8 trucks, but thts jst me..
Old 03-15-2007, 07:39 PM
Yes, 1945 Cadillac Tank

Quote:
Originally Posted by Netcon View Post
I h8 trucks, but thts jst me..
Well thats good for you.

Old 03-15-2007, 08:13 PM
Elite member

Send a message via AIM to atruebudfan Send a message via MSN to atruebudfan Send a message via Yahoo to atruebudfan

Nice, i dunno how many Orange Chevy trucks i have seen but not many.. lol
Looks like its in pretty good condition, nice find. I myself have been looking for a project car too, either a car or truck

Not a 69' and not a Chevy but..

My grandfather has a 73' GMC 1500 Super Custom. Its Blue with a white cap top, runs like a top always have it in running order. Its been back and forth from Florida and Michigan, and its got over 200k on it. We did rebuild the motor but that was just to make it new again. One nice thing is its has little to no rust, a few dime sized spots on the bed that's about all. Here's a few pics but i don't wanna high jack you thread.

Again very nice truck you have.

Old 03-15-2007, 08:49 PM
Advance member

Trader Rating: (1)
Send a message via AIM to mini-z_drifter Send a message via MSN to mini-z_drifter Send a message via Yahoo to mini-z_drifter

How is it possible that you dont like trucks AT ALL? Nice Nice truck by the way.
Old 03-15-2007, 10:10 PM
Yes, 1945 Cadillac Tank

AH man, how awesome. I saw one of the same body style a few nights ago. I love these ol' GM trucks. Glad to see Im no the only GM lover.

Both side rockers are rusted, I can see the ground from the driveer side rocker. The top of the passenger A-pillar has some tar/putty crap, so I guess it might be rusted, and the bottom of the passenger side of the windshield is rusted through. And, the passenger side fender, where it meets the bumper is gone.

But as you can tell, its not so obliviouse to the world. Im sure you guys are gonna now scroll up to the other pics to see what Ive just pointed out too, lol.

Also, is the truck all original, or has some body parts been replaced?

Old 03-15-2007, 11:17 PM
Elite member

i have a 74 GMC and a 81 Chevy both 1/2 tons, heres some pics of my 81 yeah, dont like think im just putting in fake pictures because the windows are blacked out... (its a long story)
[IMG][/IMG]
Stage2 drift motor
locked diff
six cell/8 cell/ stretched gen 1 FOR SALE!!!!!!!!!

Im totally baked right now!!!!!!
Old 03-16-2007, 12:13 PM
Yes, 1945 Cadillac Tank

Nice, I might buy an engine and trans from an '85. Checking out the Tahoe's V8 tonight.

Old 03-16-2007, 12:59 PM
Xmod Expert

Send a message via MSN to RodsRUs Send a message via Yahoo to RodsRUs

nice trucks guys!
we just got rid of out 67 with its origanal 400 smallie and a wide ratio 4 speed muncie.
2300 mAh's power
Body lowered over chassis
-Custom 04 wide body mustang-Work In Progress
http://excoboard.com/exco/index.php?boardid=15437
C-A-N-A-D-I-A-N-R-A-C-E-R
Old 03-17-2007, 12:43 PM
Yes, 1945 Cadillac Tank

Got pics?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MvkbZb8SUKk yeh, watch that, since ppl are lame to watch it elsewhere.

Just some more interior work yesterday, gettin the door panels trimmed to fit, and drawing stuff out.

Old 03-17-2007, 09:46 PM
Forum Idiot

Trader Rating: (3)
Send a message via AIM to Sweed Send a message via Yahoo to Sweed

So, I was watching MTV (yah, you know I'm a hypocrite) and I saw the "Bullet for a Valentine" video, and you know the guy is in a car, and he gets hit by a Chevy. The Chevy is very similar to what you have, but it's still in primer....

B4V sucks. That was an okay video when they were all playing, but otherwise, naw...

Quote:
Originally Posted by atruebudfan View Post
Nice, i dunno how many Orange Chevy trucks i have seen but not many.. lol
Hey, I haven't seen many either, but my math teacher drove a Candy Metalic Orange Comarrow... And that car had some power... Then again, how many math teachers listen to Korn?
"Save us, oh lord, from the wrath of the Norsemen"

Last edited by Sweed; 03-17-2007 at 09:48 PM..
Old 06-22-2007, 01:54 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by texan_idiot25 View Post
Just ****in' around to the older forum I havent been to in ages...

This truck is the proverbial found it behind a house type story. My neighbor had it stored at a friends of his's house for a long while. It was gonna become a work truck, but it was too long to fit into his garage. So he offered it to me for $500. Its a (rare) 1969 Chevy CST/10. CST is short of Custom Spor Truck, the top trim level for the Chevy C10s in '69. Much like how Denali is top ranks for the Yukon. Only 6% of all the pickups in '69 were the CST package, and around an estimate 5000 or so in my trucks configuration, The longbed CST10, as opposed to shortbeds/CST20s/CST30s/etc

For the sake of time, Im just gonna quote from my thread on XMW:

Thats just a bit of it, goto http://www.xmodworld.com/modules.php...wtopic&t=22470 for the full thread, an arguement on springs, and more details and such.

doulbe check the year, the'69 had a wood bed and the dash was different. mine runs.

Old 06-22-2007, 01:58 PM
Yes, 1945 Cadillac Tank

Your hijacking the thread #1, get your box truck off here

#2 Its a 69, use a VIN decoder if you dont believe me.

there are a few different gauge configurations, the 3 hole style, and the one with the optional gauges like mine. Also, wood beds were an OPTION. I know these trucks pretty **** well

Old 06-22-2007, 02:00 PM
Banned

okokokokookokokokookokookokok, gosh, sorry i didnt know.