Go Back   XmodSource.com > Mini & Micro > General Mini & Micro
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Gallery iTrader Today's Posts

Old 02-25-2009, 06:27 PM
Mini-Z Drifter

Trader Rating: (8)
Question 2x3 stack of 8858's?

I've heard that doing a 2x3 stack of 8858's aren't a good idea and I should just do a 2x2 stack. Is this true? I heard that a 2x2 will handle just about any motor out there.

I just don't wanna do a 2x2 stack, then end up frying them when I could have just done a 2x3 in the first place. Any advice would be appreciated, since I don't know much about fets
Old 02-25-2009, 06:38 PM
Working Class Hero

Trader Rating: (32)
Send a message via MSN to TripleXmodder(akaXXX)

If you go to Atomicmods.com and click on motors, every description says what stack is prefered. They have just about every motor you'll come across and they are GREAT about including specs like that with everything.

http://www.atomicmods.com/Categories...ar/Motors.aspx

They also have comparison charts for motors and just about everything else.

XXX FREE modding Service: http://www.xmodsource.com/forum/showthread.php?t=17800
PM me for a quote or any questions. HAPPY MODDING

100% Positive Itrader feedback http://www.xmodsource.com/forum/itrader.php?u=6901
Old 02-25-2009, 07:51 PM
I got nothin...

Trader Rating: (0)

i have heard that the higher the stack, the more twitchy or jumpy the motor will become.

New Forum Needing Members:
http://rcunited.tk/
Old 02-25-2009, 07:58 PM
Mini-Z Drifter

I've heard that too. Atomic Mods say that the Atomic Chili (the motor I might get) needs a minimum 2x2 stack, but prefers a 2x3. They are talking about stacking the 4562's. I've read that the 8858's are a little more better then the 4562's. I just don't wanna fry my fets and possibly damage my board
Old 02-25-2009, 08:04 PM
I got nothin...

Trader Rating: (0)

hey better safe then sorry eh?

New Forum Needing Members:
http://rcunited.tk/
Old 02-25-2009, 09:20 PM
Xmod Expert

2x2 is for the 2wd cars... some of the 4wd cars need one more fet layer due to more strain on the motor. (driveline in the ma010 increases amp draw)
Old 02-25-2009, 09:35 PM
Mini-Z Drifter

I am leaning towards a 2x3 stack. I will wait until tomorrow when I get off of work to do it. I wanna get some more input from others. Either way, if it is too twitchy or I am having problems, I'll just take a layer off
Old 02-25-2009, 09:56 PM
Working Class Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by blt456 View Post
2x2 is for the 2wd cars... some of the 4wd cars need one more fet layer due to more strain on the motor. (driveline in the ma010 increases amp draw)

Completely wrong. The stack height is determined by the motor. That simple. I am running a chilli a PN S04 in a mini-z with only a 2x2 and it is suggested a 2x3. I have had no problems. You should be fine unless you abuse it and ignore stopping running when the motor is hot.

XXX FREE modding Service: http://www.xmodsource.com/forum/showthread.php?t=17800

100% Positive Itrader feedback http://www.xmodsource.com/forum/itrader.php?u=6901
Old 02-25-2009, 10:10 PM
Mini-Z Drifter

I wanna run either an Atomic Chili or an Atomic T2. I'm pretty sure 2x2 would suffice enough, but I know they would run hot, so I wanna be as safe as I can. Not positive if I will run either of these. I do like the Chili though, at least what I have read about it.

Last edited by SkylineLvr; 02-26-2009 at 01:21 PM..
Old 02-25-2009, 10:28 PM
Working Class Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkylineLvr View Post
I wanna run either an Atomic Chili or an Atomic T2. I pretty sure 2x2 would suffice enough, but I know they would run hot, so I wanna be as safe as I can. Not positive if I will run either of these. I do like the Chili though, at least what I have read about it.
You will be fine with a 2x2 if your running AAA, I would go 2x3 if running Lith/Lipo. Good to Go.

Old 02-25-2009, 11:46 PM
Xmod Expert

XXX: S04 and a chili in a 2wd or 4wd car? I don't know how I am wrong but put a chili or an s04 in a ma010 w/ 2x2 FDS8858CZ.
Modified motors can run faster w/ a 2x3 fet stack in a 4wd..... there is more strain on the motor in a 4wd driveline causing more amp draw. The lower the stack will not allow a motor to function at its full potential.
You would think that a guy who winds motor, stacks fets, and drvies long times with modified motors has some sort of a clue...............................

Skylinelvr: The chili has an advanced endbell so unless you don't want to mess around with it... get the T2. You should really see how fast a stock-r is on 2x2 of 3010 fets and the right gearing. You have to move your way up.... you'll see when you get a decent-fast motor. Don't jump to the mod motors yet... I did that and I went back to a base of running the stock-r.

Last edited by 2wdpancar; 02-25-2009 at 11:58 PM..
Old 02-26-2009, 01:52 AM
Working Class Hero

Well your definatly right about a 4wd being more strain on a motor. But it will not be any major difference and it will basically come down to what motor. And I DO have a miniz AWD w/ a 2x2 running a chilli and it is just fine. You can check my miniz thread and confirm that with bigez. Not basho g you or anything, I'm sure you are very knowledgable in this area, I'm just speaking from experience and I usually consult and verify my info from good sources, usually Christian from reflex or soeone like that if I'm not sure. I back my answer still and wouldn't expect you to feel that I'm saying your not knowledable in this area, as I'm sure you are.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blt456 View Post
XXX: S04 and a chili in a 2wd or 4wd car? I don't know how I am wrong but put a chili or an s04 in a ma010 w/ 2x2 FDS8858CZ.
Modified motors can run faster w/ a 2x3 fet stack in a 4wd..... there is more strain on the motor in a 4wd driveline causing more amp draw. The lower the stack will not allow a motor to function at its full potential.
You would think that a guy who winds motor, stacks fets, and drvies long times with modified motors has some sort of a clue...............................

Skylinelvr: The chili has an advanced endbell so unless you don't want to mess around with it... get the T2. You should really see how fast a stock-r is on 2x2 of 3010 fets and the right gearing. You have to move your way up.... you'll see when you get a decent-fast motor. Don't jump to the mod motors yet... I did that and I went back to a base of running the stock-r.

Old 02-26-2009, 10:28 AM
Elite member

I've been running 2X2 stack for awhile. It handles the T2 motor without a question. I also run lithium on occasion, this is also fine. Trust me, the extra power will NOT be an issue. The T2 is so fast I can't even use it on the track.

Everyone can speculate whatever they want, I'm doing it.

Though, I'm not against throwing another layer on and reporting my results with the throttle response.
Old 02-26-2009, 11:13 AM
Mini-Z Drifter

I shot the guys at Atomic Mods an email and they said that a 2x2 will do, but a 2x3 will not hurt performance and it will only make it more efficient. I asked about the 8858's, but their response was about the 4562's. I think I will do a 2x3 stack and see if there is any noticable problems with that
Old 02-26-2009, 11:51 AM
Working Class Hero

you'll be good either way but a 2x2 is completely safe. Have fun with it.

Old 02-26-2009, 01:16 PM
Elite member

Quote:
I shot the guys at Atomic Mods an email and they said that a 2x2 will do, but a 2x3 will not hurt performance and it will only make it more efficient. I asked about the 8858's, but their response was about the 4562's. I think I will do a 2x3 stack and see if there is any noticable problems with that
The 8858 is a superior FET. They don't sell that FET thats why they suggested 4562. Also, Atomicmods is not the most valid source to contact. Try shooting an email to reflexracing.net . The guys there are world champion Mini-z racers. Christian Tabush will probably get to you himself. There are far better references to contact. Much of atomicmods information is marketing influenced, also, I can't begin to list the amount of false information provided on their website.

Also, I still don't suggest such a poweful motor. I bought the T2 and still don't use it because its too fast to control on most typical RCP tracks, and I'm a pretty experienced racer. Though, if you have a fully programmable transmitter that could help (like the helios) becuase you can cut the throttle down to make it more manageable.

I'd suggest the atomic standard motor. Great price, great efficiency, perfect for medium tracks.

Here is an example of what I was talking about regarding atomicmods marketing. Trust me there are plenty of posts validating this argument. - http://www.minizracer.com/forums/sho...9&postcount=19

Last edited by Action B; 02-26-2009 at 01:33 PM..
Old 02-26-2009, 08:09 PM
Mini-Z Drifter

Well I lifted a pad when I took of the stock fets. I thought I fixed it, but when I soldered the new fets on, I didn't have any power going to the motor. Looks like I'm gonna have to sell my Xmod now just to buy a new board. Man this sucks. Should of had Action B do it for me for $10. Now I'm out $50-$100. I'm so ****ed at myself right now
Old 02-26-2009, 08:14 PM
Elite member

Quote:
Well I lifted a pad when I took of the stock fets. I thought I fixed it, but when I soldered the new fets on, I didn't have any power going to the motor. Looks like I'm gonna have to sell my Xmod now just to buy a new board. Man this sucks. Should of had Action B do it for me for $10. Now I'm out $50-$100. I'm so ****ed at myself right now
If you want I can take a look at it and try to fix it.
What technique did you use to take them off? I know the feeling sucks to have your Z down.

Don't get down on yourself man, its part of the learning process. I've not seen a board yet that was unusable after a failed FET install. It can probably be fixed.

Last edited by Action B; 02-26-2009 at 08:18 PM..
Old 02-26-2009, 08:17 PM
Mini-Z Drifter

I was heating it up w/ an iron and using a hobby knife to pry it off. It worked fine except for one of the pads. If you could that would be great
Old 02-26-2009, 08:25 PM
Elite member

Quote:

I know the feeling sucks to do something like that though, I've done stuff to my real car like that before.

Usually these things are repairable. How did you go about fixing the lifted pad? While I've never lifted one I know how to fix them.