Go Back   XmodSource.com > Miscellaneous > Real Cars: Full scale > August 08'-09' Build Off
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Gallery iTrader Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-02-2008, 12:57 AM
Elite member

Trader Rating: (0)
Default August '08-'09 Buildoff '97 Ford P71

Okay, so I know I am entering this comp a little late, but I just got my new car today. For those of you who are unfamiliar with the name "P71", that is the code name for the Crown Victoria Police Interceptor. I bought it for $250 plus a pair of 6x9 speakers and a head unit. Not a bad deal, considering I offered him my Oldsmobile.

The car itself is nothing special at the moment, everything is still stock, and I'm just waiting till I can get the cash to start working on it.

Current plans/wishlist:
-New paintjob. I'm thinking gloss black.
-Lowered springs. The P71 actually rides a few inches higher than the regular CV
-Replace window regulators. Ford had a genius idea when they put the window motors on the bottom of the door and then run a pulley system up to the window... Not. Only one window works at the moment.
-Cold Air Induction. Gotta have it, since I can't really afford a supercharger...
-Dual Cherry Bombs. I <3 Cherry Bomb.
-Reprogram computer. The P71 has a speed regulator in it, and I want to wipe it off.
-Theres more, I just can't think of them at the minute.

So heres what you guys have been waiting for, the pictures:

Old 12-02-2008, 01:09 AM
SPR

dude we had one of these get left at our shop by the owner, he just abandoned it after getting some work done, i mobbed that thing around for a couple days, those motors are no joke! its got some get up and go! <-- this is coming from someone who drove a 320hp sti...

What are your plans for it?

personally id leave it as is, and crank some more ponies out of it and start spanking every honda on the street. Spank a lot of camaros and mustangs too for that matter lol.
Old 12-02-2008, 01:19 AM
Elite member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPR View Post
dude we had one of these get left at our shop by the owner, he just abandoned it after getting some work done, i mobbed that thing around for a couple days, those motors are no joke! its got some get up and go! <-- this is coming from someone who drove a 320hp sti...

What are your plans for it?

personally id leave it as is, and crank some more ponies out of it and start spanking every honda on the street. Spank a lot of camaros and mustangs too for that matter lol.
Abandoned it? Lol.

Yeah, the factory rated it at about 215hp, but I have a feeling that is underrated. Wont know for sure until I get access to a dyno.

Not sure about where to go with engine mods other than the CAI. I'm still doing research, like I said, I just bought the car today.

And spanking Hondas? I already do that in my Oldsmobile! This thing is gonna be a beast if I can get the funds that I need to do what I want done to it.
Old 12-02-2008, 07:28 AM
Banned

Trader Rating: (3)

Looks old Time to be a ***.

Does it work?

Needs new paint

Needs new headlights

Jesse James should have fun with this one!

Alittle TLC Peez?!

Roof needs to be re upolstered

Just kidding man, Have fun.

Last edited by HUMMER H4; 12-02-2008 at 10:56 AM..
Old 12-02-2008, 10:46 AM
Elite member

Send a message via MSN to stang_racer

yea lol i saw the pics then read the post am i thought ok looks like an ex cop car lol, i can just imagine what people thought when they seen that car on the side of the road thought lol RADAR!!!!!!!! BRAKES!!!!!!!!! hahahaha but yea have some fun with it lol for 250 bucks, cant really go wrong there
Old 12-02-2008, 04:31 PM
Yes, 1945 Cadillac Tank

Trader Rating: (5)
Send a message via AIM to texan_idiot25

FUX! Run it in Lemons!!! http://www.24hoursoflemons.com/

Replace green w/ black, and have at it. I'd love to get a Caprice cop car, and build the hell out of the LT1 with some fat steel wheels-n-tires (able to keep the hub caps this way) to go around playing with.

I may be king of the idiots, but my kingdom is vast and my subjects are everywhere
Old 12-03-2008, 12:34 AM
Elite member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HUMMER H4 View Post
Looks old Time to be a ***.

Does it work?

Needs new paint

Needs new headlights

Jesse James should have fun with this one!

Alittle TLC Peez?!

Roof needs to be re upolstered

Just kidding man, Have fun.
Minus the paint, this is actually a pretty nice car. The only mechanical problems to speak of are the broken windows, clogged fuel filter and some switch thingy, idk what its called. Paint, headlights and headliner are all in the plans, as well as some TLC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by texan_idiot25 View Post
FUX! Run it in Lemons!!! http://www.24hoursoflemons.com/

Replace green w/ black, and have at it. I'd love to get a Caprice cop car, and build the hell out of the LT1 with some fat steel wheels-n-tires (able to keep the hub caps this way) to go around playing with.
Lol, I don't want to kill my new car. Actually, I was looking for a Caprice, but found this and decided to go with it.
Old 12-03-2008, 04:36 PM
Yes, 1945 Cadillac Tank

Dude, these P71s are tanks, they survive very well in the 24 hours of Lemons. In the past 3-4 races I don't any had a DNR, and ran mid pack. LT1 Caprice cops were upper pack and could hang in the top 10, even amid buzzing CRXs and back yard Porsches.

I may be king of the idiots, but my kingdom is vast and my subjects are everywhere
Old 12-04-2008, 05:19 PM
Elite member

Tiny Update: Car is now registered and on the road.

Its hella fun to drive!!!
Old 12-04-2008, 08:19 PM
the torqueinator

Trader Rating: (1)
Send a message via AIM to kendallcschm

those things are tanks... thats why cops use them. what does it have under the hood?

'65 Drag Mustang

mods to be made:
pro street rims
some sort of suspension upgrade (message me if you have suggestions)
soft drag slicks

Titan:

mods to be made:
CF driveshaft
composite driveshaft gears
Old 12-04-2008, 10:59 PM
Elite member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kendallcschm View Post
those things are tanks... thats why cops use them. what does it have under the hood?
Its a 4.6l modular series V8.

With the suspension set so high, it almost feels like I'm driving a truck. I can't wait till I can afford to get lowered springs...
Old 12-05-2008, 04:15 PM
Yes, 1945 Cadillac Tank

But then how will you ever jump those curbs at 55 mph?

Old 12-05-2008, 05:02 PM
ROTFLSHMSFOAIDMT

Trader Rating: (24)
Send a message via AIM to TheB1GDude Send a message via MSN to TheB1GDude

With a CAI and tune it should shift.... I wouldn't lower it either... keep it high just stiffen everything up.... upper and lower strut braces, weld a ladder from the front to the back of the chassis then hit the streets...

Also I wouldn't do gloss black - no offense but that's what everyone goes for on their CV's, I know its just my opinion but I'd do something a little more unique.

You should look for a front push bar for it as well

Duct Tape is like the force:- it has a light side and a dark side and it binds the universe together.....
Old 12-07-2008, 01:58 AM
Elite member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheB1GDude View Post
With a CAI and tune it should shift.... I wouldn't lower it either... keep it high just stiffen everything up.... upper and lower strut braces, weld a ladder from the front to the back of the chassis then hit the streets...

Also I wouldn't do gloss black - no offense but that's what everyone goes for on their CV's, I know its just my opinion but I'd do something a little more unique.

You should look for a front push bar for it as well
Well, it won't be like, really low, only about 2-3 inches lower.

I know everyone does black on CVs, but I like black. I was also thinking of doing it a darker shade of green. Eh, either way, I've got till Feb. to decide on a color, and to patch up the holes and dents.

I was thinking about a pushbar, but idk about that.

I may have a trick up my sleeve coming soon... Depends on if I can find what I'm looking for in the junkyard, which I'm going to sometime next week...
Old 12-07-2008, 02:01 PM
Yes, 1945 Cadillac Tank

2-3 inches is a huge drop on a car. These cars have coil springs all around right? No coil overs or struts? One trick is to measure the height of the springs while the car's weight is on them, and cut a fence post to that height. Jack the car up, pull the springs out, and replace them with the fence post blocks you just cut. Then lower the car back down and make sure the stance is stock. Then remove the blocks, slice and inch, replace them back in, and lower it back down. Just about the easiest and most realistic way your gonna see the effect of a drop.

Plus the cop springs and package will handle better than any drop springs you can buy, unless you go with some SVT or Ford Racing ones.

Old 12-07-2008, 04:53 PM
Elite member

Quote:
Originally Posted by texan_idiot25 View Post
2-3 inches is a huge drop on a car. These cars have coil springs all around right? No coil overs or struts? One trick is to measure the height of the springs while the car's weight is on them, and cut a fence post to that height. Jack the car up, pull the springs out, and replace them with the fence post blocks you just cut. Then lower the car back down and make sure the stance is stock. Then remove the blocks, slice and inch, replace them back in, and lower it back down. Just about the easiest and most realistic way your gonna see the effect of a drop.

Plus the cop springs and package will handle better than any drop springs you can buy, unless you go with some SVT or Ford Racing ones.
That is a really good idea. I found out that there were three different springs that they used in the P71s in the late 90's, Im gonna look into it and see which are better, police or racing.

But of course, I need to fix all the little things before I start working on performance. Going to the parts store tomorrow, and the junkyard wednesday.
Old 12-07-2008, 06:55 PM
the torqueinator

Trader Rating: (1)
Send a message via AIM to kendallcschm

if you make this really nice you might get something like this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dDgwm...eature=related

'65 Drag Mustang

mods to be made:
pro street rims
some sort of suspension upgrade (message me if you have suggestions)
soft drag slicks

Titan:

mods to be made:
CF driveshaft
composite driveshaft gears
Old 12-07-2008, 07:30 PM
Elite member

Im not quite sure what I'm doing for performance just yet. What I'm thinking of is looking for a 5.4L Triton (possibly accident vehicle that was written off as salvage?) and do a swap. I've heard its pretty straight-forward and most of the parts will transfer between the engines. If I cant do that, then I'll rebuild this engine.

Last edited by AJB32690; 01-18-2009 at 01:46 PM..
Old 01-18-2009, 02:00 PM
Elite member

Somewhat of an update:

I haven't been able to do a whole lot due to lack of funds, however, I have been working on it.

-The antenna and light bar holes have been filled.
-What was left of the trim has been removed.
-De-badged.
-Cleaned and detailed the engine as best I could.
-CAI installed.
-Mufflers removed. (I've got the glasspacks, just haven't had the time to put them in. It's loud as s*** without the mufflers or tailpipes in!)
-Been cleaning the exterior as best I could before I sand it down.

Pictures and video coming soon.

Random funny story:

I was just outside finishing up the CAI, so I'm under the hood of my car, right? My neighbor and all his friends are ricers. He drives a Nissan 240 Coupe, and the friends that were there at the time drove another 240 coupe, 240 hatch, and a Chevy Cavi (That was riced out...) They were all outside taking pictures of their cars, so I decided to mess with them, show which side of the domestic/import fence I sit on. I start up the engine, go back under the hood, and start revving it manually. (Remember, no mufflers.) This really gets their attention, they all just stop what they are doing and stare at me. Guess they forgot what a real car sounds like, they've been listening to their weed wackers for too long.

Please don't start an import vs domestic flame war here. Its my opinion and no amount of flaming will change that.

Edit: Typo.
Old 02-02-2009, 09:38 AM
Elite member

Trader Rating: (4)

Seems to me like you're worse than the "ricers" by taking your mufflers off to show off sound lol your funny dude. sound dont mean a thing. You could have the loudest engine and it still doesnt make you any faster. so...yea doesnt make you cooler