Register FAQ Members List Calendar Gallery iTrader Today's Posts

Old 04-25-2010, 01:28 AM
Yes, 1945 Cadillac Tank

Trader Rating: (5)
Send a message via AIM to texan_idiot25
Default I have a confession to make.

I bought a Honda.

YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

I have no idea what's going on here, but neither do you!

1987 Honda CRX "DX", base model 75hp, 5 speed, MONSTER! Well, not quite. But more on that later. The need for the little CRX? With rising gas prices, I can't save the money I need fast enough to do the work I'd like to get done on the CST10. The Cab swap and OD trans will cost me about a grand or so, but I can't save that much by getting 7 mpg. So, the past few months I've been eagle-eying craigslist. Few hit and misses, a few test drives. One day, I thought I'd surf the Austin craigslist. This little CRX shows up, priced right under my budget's upper limit at $950. Why not? -click- 87 crx, got 40 mpg when I drove it. Will trade for a 92 Isuzu Rodeo axle... wait what!? Make a few calls to a few local yards, and locate one for $250 bucks! Call the guy to make sure he wants to trade out right for it, and sure enough, the whole little car for the axle! After my godfather, who lives in Austin confirmed the little guy could run, I picked up the axle the next day for $200 bucks! The yard I sourced parts for the CST10 from, cut me a nice deal for the axle.

Today, loaded up the axle, and ran out to Austin. God bless American trunks.

Trade axle, bump the idle speed on the carb so it will stay running, and off we go! Tank of gas later:

Besides the front trim pieces being mangled, it's in VERY good shape for a 23 year old car. And, as you can see from it's banana sized exhaust pipe, NON-RICED! Yes, I have discovered a rare breed of cars; the StockisCivivus.

Now, the issues. Both the carb and cam timing belt are working against me. Seemingly the belt is off by a notch, which gives it a funny power band, and the carb refuses to work in the 2ndary barrel, which means NO power, and only able to drive it on very light throttle. This made the hills in austin at freeway speeds some trouble. Eventually it couldn't take the hills at 75 mph with the lack of power, and got hot quick. Only had to stop to let it cool off twice. No idea how hot, gauge is just a line, no numbers, but I didn't let the sucker get near red. Ain't gonna want to put a head gasket in.

It became a game of gain speed down hill (I hit 80 once!), and let it carry momentum uphill. Pathetic, I know, but once all the tune up work is done, won't be an issue.

It's a totally different world than driving the CST10. The only thing they share in common is the number of doors, wheels, and the lack of AC. 1st thing, LIGHT WEIGHT. Wow this little sum***** can be tossed around, and even on balding and dryrotting front tires it holds down like mad. Easily corner at twice the speeds the CST10 can with little complaint. It wants to zip out of corners at high RPM, but the problems above put a downer when you get back into the throttle.

The turning radius is tiny. I mean, I can turn this thing around full circle in your living room. If turning radius could be measured in atoms, I would. The lack of power steering is a non issue at anything above a dead stop, it's really as easy as the CST10's power steering at speed. The brakes... work... Don't know if their weak but of the other 80s hondas I've driven, it seems on par. Clutch is smooth, though rattling? And the little shifter ain't bad for a FWD unit, certainly not the worst I've used and it's 23 years old! The only future plans are to get it running smooth, replace the header panel, and shoot it white (on the cheap). Thankfully, Houston has a lively ricer community, and I'll easily be able to get rid of it for more than I paid.

So, it's home, in Houston now.

It averaged upper 20s on the way home, and this is in ****-tier running condition, and most of it's aerodynamics ruined by the lack of a header panel. Never the less, only $12 bucks to get from North of Austin, to Houston. Double that, and add a 0 and that's what the CST10 would cost.

And, a parting shot.

I may be king of the idiots, but my kingdom is vast and my subjects are everywhere

Last edited by texan_idiot25; 04-25-2010 at 02:12 AM..
Old 04-25-2010, 02:04 AM
dirtlover/moderator

Trader Rating: (14)

well as i said on FB i am jealous...looks like you could put the CRX in the back of the truck in that pickLOL

Team X.I.
Old 04-25-2010, 09:17 AM
Subaru Nut

Trader Rating: (7)

haha nice texan what are your plans?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donziikid View Post
You can't fix stupid.
MY TUTORIALS
SNOW PLOW
HUMMER DROP HITCH
DULLY TIRE TUT
Old 04-25-2010, 10:29 AM
XMS Administrator

Send a message via AIM to Donziikid

That'll certainly save you a good buck or two, even after you robbed the guy you bought it from.

Greyscale Racing Member

The Collection:
Mitsubishi Pajero | AE RC18MT
TLMicroCrawler | Xmod ShowRoom | 'Yota XTruck
"The fun begins when the pavement ends."

Old 04-25-2010, 12:34 PM
XMS ADMINISTRATOR

Trader Rating: (17)

Welcome to the other side!

I think you will be happy with it, as it will definitely meet it's intended purpose with a little work. I do agree that you were lucky finding a stock (popular) Honda these days as they seem to be getting more and more rare as time goes on. You think it gets tossed around a lot right now, wait until you drive it during a storm or even on a windy day! Incredible trade on your end as well!
My XMODS
Proud member of Team NCXR

WANTED: Gen. 1 cf Chassis Upgrade (just parts from the upgrade will do fine)
Old 04-25-2010, 12:59 PM
Bored...

Trader Rating: (7)

A car for an axle from an old Japanese SUV? Like already said, you robbed the guy. Its a rare breed alright. I never even knew imports had carbs in their American cars. I never even thought about it. I hope that you can get it running well enough for your expectations.
Old 04-25-2010, 01:10 PM
Elite member

Trader Rating: (2)

Nice trade. Seems like all it needs is some TLC.
Old 04-25-2010, 02:06 PM
Yes, 1945 Cadillac Tank

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donziikid View Post
That'll certainly save you a good buck or two, even after you robbed the guy you bought it from.
Just filled it back up. Got from Leander (north of Austin) to N. Houston, which is 180 miles on just under 5 gallons. Works out to right around 36 mpg. Windows down, with a motor that's running like hell and jacked up aerodynamics with no header panel. I'm not an eco-guy, but I can dig the $12 to get to Austin.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GearHeadV8 View Post
haha nice texan what are your plans?
Read le-zread
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRFTKO View Post
Welcome to the other side!

I think you will be happy with it, as it will definitely meet it's intended purpose with a little work. I do agree that you were lucky finding a stock (popular) Honda these days as they seem to be getting more and more rare as time goes on. You think it gets tossed around a lot right now, wait until you drive it during a storm or even on a windy day! Incredible trade on your end as well!
The other side... I know...

I was happy to hear that it wasn't owned by some kid. All the vacuum operated emissions stuff is intact too. Stock steelies and hubcaps.

It will be a fun little go cart. Once it's running tip-top and on a good set of tires, maybe a little Auto-X action. Though, with only 75hp, I don't know how Sweed could surprise mustangs. But, not their intentions.

Edit: Ignoring the headerpanel, which I can't find locally and the price is onpar with every other online store, ~45 bucks for all that ****? RockAuto is quite awesome.

I may be king of the idiots, but my kingdom is vast and my subjects are everywhere

Last edited by texan_idiot25; 04-25-2010 at 03:11 PM..
Old 04-26-2010, 12:58 PM
Yes, 1945 Cadillac Tank

So yesterday I checked the VIN, and found a surprise.

Found out that is is the HF version, Honda's MPG master. Plastic fenders, Aluminum brakes, and other weight reductions (like even removing the digital clock from the dash) save this already light car another 130 lbs from the base model. The motor is a slightly smaller, 8v version of the DX and Si, at 1.3L instead of 1.5L. The 8-valver has a flatter torque curve down low, for low RPM driving. Compression is bumped to 10:1 for a more efficient burn, while still able to run on regular octane fuel. A shift light is added, and the trans is regeared along with a taller 5th, though the final ratio is shorter. The HF was also equipped with a quicker steering ratio. The alternator is also designed to only charge while the car is deceleration, to reduce the magnetic load on the alternator. The final touches are miner tweaks to the aerodynamics. Many of these enhancements really make it a much more fun car as a byproduct too. Less weight, and quicker steering make it a bit more tossable, while the torque curve lets it power out with less shifting.

The results? EPA rated 41 city, 57 freeway. 10mpg in each over the base model, and those are just the EPA numbers (which are easily beaten).

Impressive little thing, I've essentially bought a Prius for 200 bucks.

Old 04-26-2010, 07:22 PM
Advance member

Trader Rating: (0)

I loved these things back when they were new. Drive it well!
Old 04-26-2010, 07:30 PM
Advance member

I've got 4 words for you, Rattle-Can-Paint-Job. Seriously, why not?

Not to bad a find for 200 bucks.

Edit: also, take the springs out and cut them, get that thing a little lower and it'll handle even better for autox.

Last edited by surgeon; 04-26-2010 at 07:53 PM..
Old 04-26-2010, 07:40 PM
Elite member

Trader Rating: (1)

It's ok. Nobodies perfect.
Old 04-26-2010, 09:40 PM
Xmod Expert

Trader Rating: (8)
Send a message via AIM to winner

Quote:
Originally Posted by texan_idiot25 View Post
I've essentially bought a Prius for 200 bucks.
lol except this one wont randomly go full speed into a tree on its own.....

but fun little car but imo i think a bigger engine can get good mileage too

our c5 get 30mpg on the interstate. put it in 5th gear and your going 80mph and the engine is basicaly idleing
Old 04-26-2010, 11:16 PM
Yes, 1945 Cadillac Tank

Quote:
Originally Posted by surgeon View Post
I've got 4 words for you, Rattle-Can-Paint-Job. Seriously, why not?

Not to bad a find for 200 bucks.

Edit: also, take the springs out and cut them, get that thing a little lower and it'll handle even better for autox.
Actually I'm going classy ghetto paint. Getting Rustoleum in a (not spray) can, dilute it 50/50, and shooting it with an air gun. Will cost less than the amount of rattle cans, about 20-30 in paint, and I have access to paint guns.

It's torsion bars up front, springs in rear. I may not mess with suspension, since it still has to travel rough country roads and ****ty trailer park "roads" on delivery. Really, wider tires would be all I'll do on that front, and maybe a rear sway bar.

Old 05-01-2010, 05:23 PM
Yes, 1945 Cadillac Tank

It's functioning! Cap, rotor, plugs, and adjusting the valves and now the little guy runs great. No more missfiring, and can be driven at wide open throttle. The only vacuum leak (on a motor with over 50 vacuum lines!) is the carburetor base gasket, so just have to track that down and it's all good. Also replaced the header panel as well, and spray painted it blue for the time being. Again, the car will eventually be white.

Still ugly, but will worry about tidying it up later.

Only 2 or 3 of the valves were really out, the others were in spec pretty well. Much quieter now though! You can barely hear it running. Timing belt was in good shape, so no need to bother with putting on the new one.

Look at duh wittle carburetor, it's soooo cute! Fingers are there for size comparison. Glad I don't have to dive into this one, they seem to be more complex than even the Q-Jet, and VACUUM LINE HELL!
Old 05-03-2010, 03:53 PM
Advance member

Irony is a cruel mistress....I remembered that I still had this photoshop.

You should've made a ghetto custom intake outta the busted grill. If you are going to do a color change....why not go Gunship Gray? It would look pretty cool on the old honda. Also, take the hubs off and rock the steelies.
Old 05-03-2010, 09:43 PM
Yes, 1945 Cadillac Tank

Quote:
Irony is a cruel mistress....I remembered that I still had this photoshop.

You should've made a ghetto custom intake outta the busted grill. If you are going to do a color change....why not go Gunship Gray? It would look pretty cool on the old honda. Also, take the hubs off and rock the steelies.
Yes, but that whole argument was over making a CRX a fast drag racer, if I recall right. Not the intentions here... But, I did think of you while buying this. Hey, you ended up buying an old American car. So, the laugh's on both of us.

Pictures of this color? White is primarily to keep the little car cooler until I find some poor soul who thought it was a good idea to rip out and sell their A/C system.

Kind of what I'd like to do. Simple white, with the red trim line. Once I piece together the front bumper and fix the cracks in the fenders. These cars are litterally made out of plastic. ABS plastic. ****ing toy cars!

Last edited by texan_idiot25; 05-03-2010 at 09:59 PM..
Old 06-08-2010, 05:16 AM
Yes, 1945 Cadillac Tank

Been DD'n the little car for a few weeks now. It's a hoot, but **** slow. The motor has still been giving me troubles with the missfire under high load, but before I could start spending money and throwing parts at it, it has started to clear itself up. Seems the carb may have still been junked up, even after 2 bottles of gas-station fuel cleaner, because the bottle of Lucas Fuel Injector cleaner I found on the road (laying in a street) I threw in, seems to have cleaned it out as the car generally runs great now! Still misses for the 1st few miles after restarting the car, but, on the whole I can finally drive the **** little car right.

While it was missing, I'd have to wind it up through the RPM range and shift late in every gear. I couldn't shift at lower RPMs, and give it more throttle as the car would begin to missfire badly. Plugs, cap, rotor are new, plug wires appeared ok (no shorting), and the Vac advance was operating fine. So all driving had to be done at part throttle, a fraction into the pedal.

Even with all this, it was averaging 38 mpg, the **** right? Car is running terrible and it's doing better than most all modern "eco" cars, minus a handful of hybrids.

On this current tank, all appears well that it will average higher, but the next fill up should hopefully return better numbers since I can drive the car much more properly for mpg.

The car is a riot in back roads, easily tackling corners at speeds way too fast. The only thing i'll really do to it is a rear sway bar (help kill off much of it's understeer, and it's terrible body roll), and strut bars since these cars aren't terrible rigid, but that's all it will need in the handling department. The brakes, while TINY, are good enough. Paint should come soon, and that's about it for this little car. It's doing it's job VERY WELL, and is an excellent piece of engineering for what it sets out to be. How many cars these days can manage 38mpg, while even running tip top with much more conservative drivers?

Also, got tired of the plain old "Look at me, economy" wheels, and decided to paint them. The HF's 13" wheels are super light weight, so I'd rather not get rid of them. So, for on the cheap, I'm happy. The paint was too soft to clip on the center caps tonight, but will experiment on whether or not to paint them as well.

The gas $$$ saved goes right into the truck... Whom I miss driving. I burn off more gas in a few minutes than what that little car uses in a day!

Old 06-08-2010, 09:23 AM
Advance member

You should try to find some interceptor centercaps on the cheap....
Old 06-08-2010, 10:42 PM
Yes, 1945 Cadillac Tank

Quote:
You should try to find some interceptor centercaps on the cheap....
With the unpainted center caps, it has a little of the cop-wheels look.

BTW, 41 mpg with the motor finally running to the best of it's ability

(Yes I do rediculous amounts of driving, and even fill up every few days with 38~ mpg. I almost average 100 miles/day)

Last edited by texan_idiot25; 06-08-2010 at 10:52 PM..