Go Back   XmodSource.com > Miscellaneous > Real Cars: Full scale
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Gallery iTrader Today's Posts

Old 08-28-2011, 03:00 PM
Elite member

Trader Rating: (0)
Default '68 Mustang Hardtop Project

Heres yet another "saved from the crusher" car. My girlfriends parents bought this car about six years ago, and left it at their friends shop. I guess they lost touch with this friend of theirs, and the car sat for a few years. I finally talked my girlfriend into getting them to get the car back and sell it to me. To my surprise, they wanted nothing for it! When they finally got around to visting their friends shop, he admitted that he had already arranged for a truck to take it to the scrap yard the next day. Talk about good timing. They offered him $500 cash to get the car out, and he gladly agreed. The shop is only a mile from my house, so the towing fee was only $48. $548 total. I made out like a bandit with this car.

On to the car itself, its a 1968 model, with a 200 CID I6 and automatic trans. Eventually, the stock driveline is getting pulled, and a custom built/designed engine is going in. Im currently looking into a boosted 302, but Im putting that off until I've taken car of the rot issues the car has...

Probably some of the worst rot on the car, is this section here. Thatll be a fun job to replace that...

Within the first day of owning it, Ive prepped the engine to fire, unfortunatly, nobody knows where the ignition key is, so I wasnt able to turn it over yet... Im confident that it will run though, the ignition system was recently repaired (Distributor cap and rotor looked brand-new!) and I removed the plugs, gave each cylinder a couple squirts of oil, and spun the engine by hand. The whole assembly turned very smoothly.