Go Back   XmodSource.com > Xmods > XMOD Projects
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Gallery iTrader Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-22-2008, 09:40 PM
drifter and engineer

Trader Rating: (5)
Send a message via AIM to XMDrifter

use double sided foam tape. it's what even pro 1:10 racers do to get those cased elecs secured. try servo tape. its the thinnest foam dbl sided tape
Old 12-22-2008, 09:45 PM
dirtlover/moderator

Trader Rating: (14)

another sickkk xxx project...you are kind of a mind scientist arent you...keep up all the great work...on all your projects

Team X.I.
Old 12-24-2008, 12:29 AM
Working Class Hero

Trader Rating: (32)
Send a message via MSN to TripleXmodder(akaXXX)

Quote:
Originally Posted by FloydfanYodaman View Post
another sickkk xxx project...you are kind of a mind scientist arent you...keep up all the great work...on all your projects

Thanks alot. Heres some update photos.

Well since I am going brushless I had to redo my top plate to be able hold all the electronics. I also cut out the back of the front servo casing to get it ready for the micro servo.

Heres a comparision photo against a stock front end. (PS- I used stilletto hardware, standoffs)

I started blacking my chassis parts. here is some front end pieces so far. (ill do everything except the rear motor housing which will be GPM to handle the heat)

Then I did some body work today aswell. First I primed (last night)

Then I did some SMOOTH gloss black, and Red on the wheelie bar.

After that I did some decal work to the spoiler, which by the way needs to be redone. A little SHOUT OUT to my boys at XMS.

Well that's it till after the holidays I think. Im waiting for stuff to arrive in the mail, and Im leaving in the AM to go to San DIego to my wives sisters house for Xmas.
Old 12-24-2008, 07:45 AM
the torqueinator

Trader Rating: (1)
Send a message via AIM to kendallcschm

wow.... thats a nice car... that would be sick to see at an xmod drag strip :-P

'65 Drag Mustang

mods to be made:
pro street rims
some sort of suspension upgrade (message me if you have suggestions)
soft drag slicks

Titan:

mods to be made:
CF driveshaft
composite driveshaft gears
Old 12-24-2008, 09:47 AM
Elite member

Trader Rating: (13)

Where did you get that Corvette body? I've got a C6 model that I've been working on but it's not the right length for my chassis I don't think.
Old 12-24-2008, 10:47 AM
Working Class Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by ling427ttvette View Post
Where did you get that Corvette body? I've got a C6 model that I've been working on but it's not the right length for my chassis I don't think.

I lengthened the chassis, this is 1/24 revell model body.
Old 12-24-2008, 11:15 AM
drifter and engineer

looking good so far. you'll have to move the lith-ions rearward a bit to fit the micro servo. that's if you're putting the servo under the translucent chassis plate (which imo is a good idea because you'll have a hard time keeping the CG low... cased modular electronics are slightly on the heavy side. i think some dude has done tons of hobby grade conversions with xmods, so i think if you ask him how to de-case the electronics, then it could help with the space limitations.)
Old 12-24-2008, 11:16 AM
Elite member

Trader Rating: (6)

WOW! That's crazy! One of the more interesting (no offense to the other talented members) projects on here due to it's more custom approach.

I really want to see this done

Old 12-24-2008, 11:18 AM
drifter and engineer

found the dude:
breiti's his SN
http://xmodsource.com/forum/showthread.php?t=12355
Old 12-24-2008, 11:41 AM
Ride By Day Race By Night

Send a message via AIM to bigez

that is looking good i like the wheel bar and the black looks good and the tires look like they have no grip or do they and the rims look good nice work i like this one

NOTHING BUT THE BEST

I AM A PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM MAGNUSON RACING
Old 12-24-2008, 12:05 PM
I got nothin...

Trader Rating: (0)

Yeah your going to need better tires for this beast. someone did a similar conversion to a radline and it snapped all the dog bones and shattered the diffs...

New Forum Needing Members:
http://rcunited.tk/
Old 12-24-2008, 06:26 PM
Working Class Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by xmodzracer View Post
Yeah your going to need better tires for this beast. someone did a similar conversion to a radline and it snapped all the dog bones and shattered the diffs...
I am planning on changing the tires. For now I have the stock tires on there for mock up because I want to find some that are the same as these but with more traction and haven't found them yet. Also, your probably right, I will probably have to get Alloy dogbones and a delrin diff.
Old 12-24-2008, 07:37 PM
Elite member

http://www.xmodsource.com/forum/show...t=12355&page=2
That person made the brushless conversion, just to let you know.

Old 12-25-2008, 09:56 AM
the torqueinator

is there a tut to make a brushless conversion and what does it do?

'65 Drag Mustang

mods to be made:
pro street rims
soft drag slicks

Titan:

mods to be made:
CF driveshaft
Old 12-25-2008, 11:04 AM
Stage 1 member

Trader Rating: (0)

Between XXX, XMDrifter, and Breitling, I am completely awed at what can be done to these cars!

I have a million questions, but will limit mine to 4 or 5 for now:

1. What on God's Green Earth is an ESC? Does it work like an MOSFET for the motor?

2. XXX--once you're done modding this car, is it forever destined to be a dragster? I mean, if you leave it the way you've modded it, can you still drive it as a regular car? Will its bottom speed still be too high to take turns?

3. Breitling--phenomenal demonstration of electronic know-how, and I've only seen two of your threads so far! Are you an engineer by trade? Could you point me in the direction of a good tutorial to get me up-to-speed with the kind of modding you do?

4. I have a hard time believing once an XMOD is modded with things like Li-Po, or after-market motors and MOSFETs that it can handle circuit-racing. Do the suspension upgrades provide adequate compensation in the corners? Doesn't a driver end up slamming into the guard-rail alot with these mods? Or rolling over?

I know Q#4 paints me as very skeptical--what can I say? I am. I'd be glad to be "converted by a true believer" if anyone can tell me their experience in drifting and circuit racing.

Props to the bigguns,

--Doc
Old 12-25-2008, 02:52 PM
Working Class Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Moddin' View Post
Between XXX, XMDrifter, and Breitling, I am completely awed at what can be done to these cars!

I have a million questions, but will limit mine to 4 or 5 for now:

1. What on God's Green Earth is an ESC? Does it work like an MOSFET for the motor?

2. XXX--once you're done modding this car, is it forever destined to be a dragster? I mean, if you leave it the way you've modded it, can you still drive it as a regular car? Will its bottom speed still be too high to take turns?

3. Breitling--phenomenal demonstration of electronic know-how, and I've only seen two of your threads so far! Are you an engineer by trade? Could you point me in the direction of a good tutorial to get me up-to-speed with the kind of modding you do?

4. I have a hard time believing once an XMOD is modded with things like Li-Po, or after-market motors and MOSFETs that it can handle circuit-racing. Do the suspension upgrades provide adequate compensation in the corners? Doesn't a driver end up slamming into the guard-rail alot with these mods? Or rolling over?

I know Q#4 paints me as very skeptical--what can I say? I am. I'd be glad to be "converted by a true believer" if anyone can tell me their experience in drifting and circuit racing.

Props to the bigguns,

--Doc
1. An ESC is an Electronic Speed Control. It is part of a brushless system and is the main electronics paired with a reciever. Also A BEC is a Battery Elimination Circuit, which allows you to run higher voltage main battery packs, up to 26.4 Volts (4-22 Ni-MH Cells or 2-7 Li-Po), and regulates output to 6 Volts/3Amps to provide consistent power to your electronics throughout the charge. This will allow the motor to get a full 11volts from my 3 lithiums and the servo only 6volts (because it can only handle up to 9volts)

2. This car will be destined (for the most part) to be a drag car. I could later remove the electronics and and reinstall the xmod PCB or a Mini-Z PCB and drop the 3 liths to 2 liths or 4 nimah AAA's. However since I had to cut the front end servo casing up to fit the micro servo in there I would have to change out the front end. ........ SO.... This will forever be a drag car.

3. Every Mod is different and is done for some particular reason. TRYING to make a specific design for a particular objective is what I love about modding with Xmods. They are cheap enough that you don't have to feel to bad about chopping them up.
First off I don't think anyone would really use an XMOD (as much as a Mini-Z) for real serious circuit racing. Unless they are running them together in an Xmod club. These mods you see here are not designed for circuit racing (dragster) You can build a nice circuit Xmod but it wouldn't be as fun of a build. Meaning there are specific parts you can order and you have your circuit car, not really much modding involved. A nice circuit car would probably have some specific alloy upgrades a motor upgrade and wiring, a stilletto (or comparable) chassis, good wheels and tires. I have seen people, and Im not to bad myself with controlling a Lithium car around a track but it isnt done to much for a real circuit car. You definatly can build a good controlable Lith car regardless what you here. Just keep the CG low and keep the mods to a minimum and gear ratios are important. My XXXRay is VERY fast and I can control it very well, but it is very low and the body is lexan so it has not very much wieght on top. Lexan is a must for a good lith circuit car because you aren't adding any top wieght and your CG stays very low. Also spacing your wheels out a bit helps alot.

*** I hope that answers some questions. Feel free to ask more, I am always asking questions.
Old 12-25-2008, 03:35 PM
the torqueinator

what des a brushless mod do?

'65 Drag Mustang

mods to be made:
pro street rims
soft drag slicks

Titan:

mods to be made:
CF driveshaft
Old 12-25-2008, 03:56 PM
Working Class Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by kendallcschm View Post
what des a brushless mod do?

READ THIS AND THEN GO TO THE LINK FOR MORE DETAILS.

higher efficiency and reliability, reduced noise, longer lifetime (no brush erosion), elimination of ionizing sparks from the commutator, and overall reduction of electromagnetic interference (EMI). With no windings on the rotor, they are not subjected to centrifugal forces, and because the electromagnets are located around the perimeter, the electromagnets can be cooled by conduction to the motor casing, requiring no airflow inside the motor for cooling. This in turn means that the motor's internals can be entirely enclosed and protected from dirt or other foreign matter. The maximum power that can be applied to a BLDC motor is exceptionally high, limited almost exclusively by heat, which can damage the magnets

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brushle...electric_motor
Old 12-25-2008, 04:07 PM
the torqueinator

oh so you can't turn a regular xmod engine into a brushless engine...

'65 Drag Mustang

mods to be made:
pro street rims
soft drag slicks

Titan:

mods to be made:
CF driveshaft
Old 12-25-2008, 04:24 PM
Working Class Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by kendallcschm View Post
oh so you can't turn a regular xmod engine into a brushless engine...
MOTOR ... and no you can't. It is a whole different setup, ESC reciever and motor instead of the PCB like in the Xmod. Go up to post #18 in this thread and look at the first picture. That is a brushless motor and ESC. notice the motor can and the 3 wires going inside. It's a totally different motor.