Go Back   XmodSource.com > Xmods > XMOD Modification
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Gallery iTrader Today's Posts

Old 01-18-2010, 12:58 AM
Working Class Hero

Trader Rating: (32)
Send a message via MSN to TripleXmodder(akaXXX)

Very nice, how do those crawler motors perform compared to other set-ups.?

Well I got the mock-up for using MA010 knuckles on an EVO. There are a couple things I need to tweak, but otherwise it will work perfectly, You can use the MA010 Knuckles and CVDs with it and everything lines up and fits perfect. After I get all the tweaks out, Ill make a CF one.

I have more photos but Ill wait.

XXX FREE modding Service: http://www.xmodsource.com/forum/showthread.php?t=17800
PM me for a quote or any questions. HAPPY MODDING

100% Positive Itrader feedback http://www.xmodsource.com/forum/itrader.php?u=6901
Old 01-18-2010, 01:29 AM
That's what she said.

Trader Rating: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by c1v1c View Post
I couldn't find the good one but i think they used these to make the second gen1 crawler motor.

http://www.allproducts.com/manufactu.../product1.html

You need a 2mm output drive shaft in order to fit the gear but like i said, i couldn't find it.
From what I read, they accidentally made a 2mm driveshaft, so essentially, all the 2nd gen crawler motors were accidents.
Old 01-18-2010, 01:46 AM
Yes, 1945 Cadillac Tank

Trader Rating: (5)
Send a message via AIM to texan_idiot25

Quote:
Originally Posted by mycrors4 View Post
how a bout a 1 click/slide way to lift/lower a truck body(body only) for ground clearance.. but a 1 click/slide for lifting the chassis up would be AWESOME
A concept I never posted here. Allowed adjustable ride height while allowing for normal suspension travel/shock absorbsion. Also would allow for a low body instead of a raised boy to house a ****-ton of servos over each wheel. 2 servos, front and rear.

http://xmodsforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=5932

I may be king of the idiots, but my kingdom is vast and my subjects are everywhere
Old 01-18-2010, 02:03 AM
Working Class Hero

Very nice.. that's sick... Kinda like the micro-lowrider poppers... theres a website dedicated to them and a dude who makes some sick ****. little 1:28 scale slammed cars that hop.

XXX FREE modding Service: http://www.xmodsource.com/forum/showthread.php?t=17800

100% Positive Itrader feedback http://www.xmodsource.com/forum/itrader.php?u=6901
Old 01-18-2010, 05:27 AM
XMS moderator

Trader Rating: (0)
Send a message via MSN to tayyab

the second gen diy should be fairly easy to replicate...i believe someone made a tut on it over at xmf... and xi already has the truck stilleto design, chris bought all the designs from cxp before they shut down.

and besides red, xmdrifter and myself specilize in motors.

Later, T.I.M
Old 01-18-2010, 08:42 AM
XMS Admin

Trader Rating: (35)
Send a message via MSN to zippo855 Send a message via Yahoo to zippo855

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripleXmodder(akaXXX) View Post
Very nice, how do those crawler motors perform compared to other set-ups.?.
they outperform everything else ive tried. ease of install, and the 2nd gen one has plenty of torque, and i mean plenty. if it does get in a bind, it wants to start snapping things. which is why i went back to regular dog bones, its easier to replace a dog bone, that a diff or 4 wheel drive gear.

Quote:
Originally Posted by taiwanesekid05 View Post
From what I read, they accidentally made a 2mm driveshaft, so essentially, all the 2nd gen crawler motors were accidents.
thats correct. the company that made the motor / gearboxes accidently made the 2mm driveshaft ones. so if you want more you will have to special order (large quantity) amounts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tayyab View Post
the second gen diy should be fairly easy to replicate...i believe someone made a tut on it over at xmf... and xi already has the truck stilleto design, chris bought all the designs from cxp before they shut down.

and besides red, xmdrifter and myself specilize in motors.

Later, T.I.M
the first gen (motor on top of motor) would be easier to replicate than the 2nd gen. as its basically just a small torquey motor gear reduced to drive a dummy shaft. the 2nd gen, good luck, its a self contained gearbox.

TEAM X.I.
my massive collection of xmods
http://www.xmodsource.com/forum/showthread.php?t=13526
Old 01-18-2010, 09:16 AM
XMS moderator

oops, i meant first gen. i'm gona have a go at it tonight.

as far as ideas go. the truck never was well designed...the suspension,articulation, weight distribution was crap. the mzm on the other hand is amazing, just a few probs with that. we need a new suspension design at least for the truck.

Later, T.I.M
Old 01-18-2010, 09:31 AM
Elite member

Trader Rating: (4)
Send a message via AIM to merc3des

FWD Gearbox, I drew some stuff up, never tried it or had the supplies. If someone can build on it it'll be sick. Tex I remember reading that a loong time ago, really sick. Nice MA-010 knuckles, i might try and set them up on my evo.

Mercedes Track Car v2 (50% finished) :
http://www.xmodsource.com/forum/showthread.php?t=18360

Comeback Supra Project (trust me tune in):
http://www.xmodsource.com/forum/showthread.php?t=20546

Last edited by merc3des; 01-18-2010 at 09:38 AM..
Old 01-18-2010, 11:08 AM
XMS moderator

well, good news... i got everything done. i made the diy motor. just have to find a way to mount the smaller motor with something besides glue. lol. it only took me an hour to make surprisingly.
pics up tomorrow hopefully

Later, T.I.M
Old 01-18-2010, 12:42 PM
Advance member

Trader Rating: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tayyab View Post
well, good news... i got everything done. i made the diy motor. just have to find a way to mount the smaller motor with something besides glue. lol. it only took me an hour to make surprisingly.
pics up tomorrow hopefully

Later, T.I.M
Can't wait to see what you got.
Old 01-18-2010, 12:47 PM
Working Class Hero

Yeah, im very interested... It seems that a good solid drop-in type Crawler motor is at the top of the list. Everyone wants one. I want to see what Tayyab has going on. .. Texan needs to keep working on the hydros... that is sick.

Old 01-18-2010, 01:07 PM
Subaru Nut

Trader Rating: (7)

maybe we could do a build off. everyone picks a idea and tried to make it work. then who ever gets the best working prototype wins.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donziikid View Post
You can't fix stupid.
MY TUTORIALS
SNOW PLOW
HUMMER DROP HITCH
DULLY TIRE TUT
Old 01-18-2010, 01:48 PM
That's what she said.

Trader Rating: (1)

IMO, a build off isn't what we're aiming for, we're aiming for reinvigorating the Xmods community with more customization ideas (beside the crawler motor, that's just to revive what couldn't be made).
Old 01-18-2010, 02:00 PM
Elite member

the gen1 crawler motor does look simple BUT the small motor isnt just a motor it actiually has a planetary gearbox on the end (the black bit)
this as well as the reduction from that to the 130 can and the stock xmod gearing add up to 130rpm

im sure just a small motor will work but you wont be running anywhere near as low rpm's

XMS and XMF february COTM winner
Old 01-18-2010, 02:52 PM
XMS moderator

i have a choice of using either an hs 55 servo as the motor on top or an xmod servo motor. i got both to work. inside the can i have a blank armature with no commutator. and i cut up the endbell to make the gear fit. i don't know the gear ratio as yet. but take a guess urself, 8-23 xmod gearing, and i think a 60T gear in the can and then an hs 55...that's a lot of torque. =0

Later, T.I.M
Old 01-18-2010, 03:57 PM
Working Class Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by GearHeadV8 View Post
maybe we could do a build off. everyone picks a idea and tried to make it work. then who ever gets the best working prototype wins.
Yeah, no competion... just working together to come up with some new ideas. many of us could attempt the same mods and discuss what would work better to help ourselves out and maybe and some new quality ideas for modding.

Quote:
Originally Posted by reaper View Post
the gen1 crawler motor does look simple BUT the small motor isnt just a motor it actiually has a planetary gearbox on the end (the black bit)
this as well as the reduction from that to the 130 can and the stock xmod gearing add up to 130rpm

im sure just a small motor will work but you wont be running anywhere near as low rpm's
So they don't make those small gearboxes anymore, is that the problem (If im understanding) Is it somthing as simple as more gears better crawler motor or more to it... like size of the motor..etc..... what are the key points to making a good crawler motor, sorry the subject is my weakest, I think... when it comes to gearing and such, I just haven't dedicated much time to a full understanding.

Old 01-18-2010, 05:17 PM
Elite member

key to a crawler is torque (massive amounts much more than any 130 motor)
EDIT
sorry dude totally missed answering your question lol
more gears is the best way to go yes , servo's work but are to big realy the small gearbox and motors used on the drop-in ones dont seem to be available many have been looking for a long time
idealy a motor taht is about half the lenght of a 130 then find a planetary gearbox to fit on the end

the 2 versions of the drop in crawler were both very simmuler but version one used a small motor sat ontop of a dummy 130 motor , ver 2 was all inside a dummy 130

ref : all in one esc rx
many heli's use a small combined board some for brushed some for brusless , draw backs are soft start (not good for drag racing) and no reverse

ref : one piece gen1 chassis
many have been made over the years only usefull if racing

XMS and XMF february COTM winner

Last edited by reaper; 01-18-2010 at 05:26 PM..
Old 01-18-2010, 05:26 PM
Light Modder

Huh, i would have never thought of using a dummy armature. Hey the gear pitch on these gears are 64 right? i have some of my own plans too, higher gear ratio=more torque
Old 01-18-2010, 07:23 PM
Light Modder

Quote:
Originally Posted by reaper View Post
key to a crawler is torque (massive amounts much more than any 130 motor)
EDIT
sorry dude totally missed answering your question lol
more gears is the best way to go yes , servo's work but are to big realy the small gearbox and motors used on the drop-in ones dont seem to be available many have been looking for a long time
idealy a motor taht is about half the lenght of a 130 then find a planetary gearbox to fit on the end

the 2 versions of the drop in crawler were both very simmuler but version one used a small motor sat ontop of a dummy 130 motor , ver 2 was all inside a dummy 130

ref : all in one esc rx
many heli's use a small combined board some for brushed some for brusless , draw backs are soft start (not good for drag racing) and no reverse

ref : one piece gen1 chassis
many have been made over the years only usefull if racing
Actually, it seems that less gears are the way to go but with less gears it is harder to get a better gear ratio. More gears usually mean less effeciency and gear slippage/breakage, but since it is really hard to achieve a high gear ratio with 2-3 gears without having them be HUGE and tiny it is the reason why we use more gears. so yes and no, its better to have less but easier to have more
Old 01-18-2010, 07:46 PM
Working Class Hero

ok, so with what we want.. (drop in size) more gears is what we need to get the torque we want in the small package. I was on a robotics website and I think they had small gearboxs like what was used in the ver2 motor.... I will see if I can find it again, and you let me know if it is good to use.

Here is a video of the MA010 knuckles/CVDs on an EVO... runs great and suspension has alot more options for loose to stiff.

I tweaked it a bit, so now the shafts are straight in line with the diff.