Go Back   XmodSource.com > Miscellaneous > Miscellaneous RC's > Misc Nitro
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Gallery iTrader Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-03-2008, 10:52 AM
Banned

Trader Rating: (5)
Send a message via Yahoo to fordman239
Default question about nitro hpi cars...

ok, i want one real bad, but i have no clue where to get them/how much they cost. can somebody tell me the pros and cons of a nitro, and durability of them? and also, if somebody can tell me what the retail price is for a hpi nitro savage, and what wbsite i can order it off of...

later,
fordman
Old 01-03-2008, 12:54 PM
XMS Moderator

Trader Rating: (14)

The pro with nitro is never change a battery just fuel and keep running but they are more money and of course fuel is not cheap but they are faster and sound great savage rtr 429.99 kit version 365.99 per towerhobbies website
Old 01-03-2008, 01:08 PM
Monte Carlo owner!!!

Trader Rating: (9)
Send a message via AIM to snowboi1289 Send a message via Yahoo to snowboi1289

can you spell INTERNET !!!!
look on ebay,use the search on yahoo.com or google.com..its not hard to find something when you SEARCH !!!!
Old 01-03-2008, 01:17 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by clintr79 View Post
The pro with nitro is never change a battery just fuel and keep running but they are more money and of course fuel is not cheap but they are faster and sound great savage rtr 429.99 kit version 365.99 per towerhobbies website
thanks for that information.

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowboi1289 View Post
look on ebay,use the search on yahoo.com or google.com..its not hard to find something when you SEARCH !!!!
hey, there was no need for that.
Old 01-03-2008, 07:15 PM

Trader Rating: (0)

ok my buddy had the on road car and he hit a curb doin like probly about 40 mph half the speed it had in it and busted into pieces and i had a savage and did full bore into a tree not even a crack on it cars are fun but not even close to as fun as the trucks also check out the hpi mt2 cheap fast little truck i just got one and love it but it has a O.S. .18 motor on it
Old 01-03-2008, 07:30 PM
Xmod Expert

Trader Rating: (8)

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordman239 View Post
ok, i want one real bad, but i have no clue where to get them/how much they cost. can somebody tell me the pros and cons of a nitro, and durability of them? and also, if somebody can tell me what the retail price is for a hpi nitro savage, and what wbsite i can order it off of...

later,
fordman
OK, lets break it down.
You can get them at your local hobby shop, or online.
Check hobbytron.
They run for around 330-400 with all the supplie you need.
Keep in mind you need fuel, glow plugs, glow igniter, batteries, and a lot of patience.
If you are a beginner to nitro, I really would recommend going with electric.
I bought my CEN CT5 for 330, around 500 w/ tax and fuel etc...
I can't get the fuel mixtures right, cause I'm dumb like that.
Nitro takes a crapload of maintenace, and PATIENCE.
PATIENCE IS KEY!!!!!
If you don't think you can handle tuning the carb, and cleaning everything, then don't buy it.

Here's my story.
I got my cen ct5 last year for 500 bucks, and it was sooo fun.
I drive it once a month, for a little bit.
Nitro makes me mad when I can't get em to start, since my first 1/10th scale r/c was that nitro car.

Now, I just recently ought a team losi XXX RTR II, which is electric. You don't have to worry about starting engines, etc...
It's brushless, costs around the 350 mark. I would sugggest you don't start with nitro, but an hpi electric car. Look into the HPI Sport II, those are 250. They are decent, and HPI makes quality cars.

PROS:
-Sounds cool
-Fun to take apart
-Eh, good drifters..

CONS:
-Maintainance..
-Patience...
-Extra parts that cost a lot after a while...glow plugs AA batts...
-I could go on...

Really, I enjoy nitro, when I get my car started.

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowboi1289 View Post
Really, how did this help him?
He wanted SITES, not suggestions on search engines.
Hobbytron, towerhobbies, pinolehobby(my lhs FTW, its one store), and a lot of other places retail the savage.
People these days...

Make your choice wisely.

Last edited by 2wdpancar; 01-03-2008 at 07:34 PM..
Old 01-03-2008, 07:49 PM
Banned

thanks so much for this information. it helps alot. i think im gonna stick to xmods for a while though, until i get som money.
Old 01-03-2008, 07:54 PM
Xmod Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordman239 View Post
thanks so much for this information. it helps alot. i think im gonna stick to xmods for a while though, until i get som money.
Yeah, lol they cost a motherload, but cools down over time
Old 01-03-2008, 08:35 PM
is here

Trader Rating: (1)
Send a message via AIM to Stampedekid Send a message via MSN to Stampedekid

Let me answer now. I am still new to nitro but not to hobby-grade. I suggest the Traxxas Nitro Stampede as a starter nitro. It's what I got. No reverse though. But no reverse=better driving skills especially if you drive in an open field like me. Then reverse isn't needed. It is a wheelie monster, still waiting for my wheelie bar to arrive at the hobby store. It's not as hard to maintain as everyone says, as long as you do it right. Plus it's tons of fun, gets people's attention, and it has a great sound!
Old 01-03-2008, 08:36 PM
Xmod Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by blt456 View Post
Yeah, lol they cost a motherload, but cools down over time
+1

For nitro R/C, the initial startup is what costs the most. Later on, once you've acquired everything, it gets less expensive.

For hobby-grade electric, initial startup has a moderate cost, but long-term, it adds up, sometimes, much more than nitro...
Old 01-03-2008, 08:47 PM
is here

Trader Rating: (1)
Send a message via AIM to Stampedekid Send a message via MSN to Stampedekid

Quote:
Originally Posted by REDisFASTER View Post
+1

For nitro R/C, the initial startup is what costs the most. Later on, once you've acquired everything, it gets less expensive.

For hobby-grade electric, initial startup has a moderate cost, but long-term, it adds up, sometimes, much more than nitro...
Especially since the gears chip faster. The electric motor has to constantly power the vehicle causing gears to chip and break. It is better micro or mini IMO. Sure you could get one of those Brushless Traxxas VXL's. But nitro is more fun with the sound and is more like a real car by using nitro and a real engine. Break-in isn't as hard as everyone says. It is really easy actually. It is annoying but still, it pays off in the end. Plus, electric slows down when the batteries begin to die. Nitro goes to the end running like you just filled it up.
Old 01-03-2008, 08:54 PM
XMS Administrator

Send a message via AIM to Donziikid

Quote:
Originally Posted by REDisFASTER View Post
+1

Why do you beleive that, RED?

(Just curious. I personally preffer electric over nitro. But that's because the nitro I've ever owned was planes and the electronic brushless has more power and is easier to handle in planes.)

-Donzii.

Greyscale Racing Member

The Collection:
Mitsubishi Pajero | AE RC18MT
TLMicroCrawler | Xmod ShowRoom | 'Yota XTruck
"The fun begins when the pavement ends."

Old 01-03-2008, 09:22 PM
Xmod Expert

Well, for nitro, you buy the kit, the engine, electronics, fuels, maintenance supplies, tools (if you don't already have them), pit box, bearing maintenance supplies etc...

For electric, you buy the kit, motor(s), motor late (to true commutators) electronics (ESC, servo, Tx and Rx), AC/DC charger, discharger, battery matcher, matched cells, building jig, soldering equipment if you don't already have it, pit box, bearing maintenance supplies, etc...

I don't know... Probably from from personal experience... I've been in hobby-grade since 2003/4 and I'm only 1/3 of the way done to having a manageable electric R/C, since I'm still missing quite a bit of maintenance items and proper batteries and battery conditioning devices (preserve your investment, or pay more later?)

I got into nitro earlier last year and I'm about 1/2 way to 3/4 of the way done in having everything I need to do to 'getup-and-go'. I just need a starter box, upgrade my electronics and transmitter, engine, then I'm off to the races!
Old 01-03-2008, 09:42 PM
Xmod Expert

For electric, you take your average run-of-the-mill HPI.
It isn't the best for speed, or w/e.
Say you want speed, you go get aluminum parts, and a brushless motor and esc(the killer part)

For nitro, the starter engines that come with the cars have good speed, for let's say HPI/Traxxas/CEN....

Nitro can go fast out of the box, but if it's one of those knock-offs with no name brands, then you are going to have a lonnggg time modding it.
That's what I've observed, as I own both a 1/10th scale nitro and electric r/c car atm.
Old 01-03-2008, 09:47 PM
Xmod Expert

Send a message via AIM to torredo

electric = easy as humble pie!
nitro = patience, money and needing to learn/understand to tune!

plus gas, plus plugs , plus, plus, plus...+++++
Old 01-03-2008, 10:12 PM
Xmod Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by torredo View Post
electric = easy as humble pie!
nitro = patience, money and needing to learn/understand to tune!

plus gas, plus plugs , plus, plus, plus...+++++
Kind of what Red and I mentioned
Old 01-03-2008, 10:17 PM
Xmod Expert

Send a message via AIM to torredo

you sure did! lmao!

i just simplified if for him.... hehhe
Old 01-03-2008, 11:30 PM
Xmod Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by torredo View Post
you sure did! lmao!

i just simplified if for him.... hehhe
O ok, I had the feeling you didn't both reading the posts...
That's cool, basically sums it up.
Old 01-03-2008, 11:58 PM
Elite member

Send a message via MSN to stang_racer

ok i think that nitro is better because if u dont understand something its a chance to learn and find out things about ur self ex. patience (sorry if i sound like ur shink sweed, if u dont got one u need one if u doin the things in that tank vid!! jkjkjk rotflmao!!) ok so back to my mini rant nitro is faster, and they fast right outta the box, also mixing fuel math skills lol, breaking in the motor driving skills, my neighbors drive their s around in a circle till the motors broken in, then u can do sweet jumps with nitro because they faster like that vid on youtube with the buggy that jumps the house. also who can forget that amazing sound they make???
Old 01-04-2008, 12:05 AM
XMS Moderator

Trader Rating: (14)

Quote:
Originally Posted by stang_racer View Post
ok i think that nitro is better because if u dont understand something its a chance to learn and find out things about ur self ex. patience (sorry if i sound like ur shink sweed, if u dont got one u need one if u doin the things in that tank vid!! jkjkjk rotflmao!!) ok so back to my mini rant nitro is faster, and they fast right outta the box, (also mixing fuel )math skills lol, breaking in the motor driving skills, my neighbors drive their s around in a circle till the motors broken in, then u can do sweet jumps with nitro because they faster like that vid on youtube with the buggy that jumps the house. also who can forget that amazing sound they make???
What do you mean mixing fuel that is for the 1/5 scale with a weed wacker motor nitro there is no mixing