Go Back   XmodSource.com > Xmods > General XMODs
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Gallery iTrader Today's Posts

Closed Thread

Old 11-08-2008, 04:21 PM
SPR

Default How To: Build a Dyno and Lift with Legos!

First off, i dont know where to put this, mods please move it accordingly.

Second, bugeye subie asked for this, so this is mainly for him, but thought maybe other people could benefit from it as well. So here it goes.

We will start with the Dyno. This is Colorschemed and based apon a Dyno Dynamics model. Feel free to modify how ever you want.

First your going to start out with a bunch of Grey Flat pieces. You need to make a 12x11 Plat Form.

Then you need to make the second layer a 12X8 with 2 hang over on one side, and 1 hang over on the other side. Then get Red 2X12 blocks, and attach. Like so. (i added the little 3rd layer for some extra support)

Next you need, 4 Axles. 4 Wheels with tires removed. and 4 red 2x2 blocks. Put together like so.

Next you need a 12x4 Flat red deck. With a second layer under it being a 14x4. With 2 black flat 1x2 pieces. Build it like so. (the underside of mine isnt solid simply because i was to lazy to fill it in. Do as you wish with this)

Next you need 12x2 Red Blocks put together like so, with a 12x1 Flat red strip on one side.

Attach This piece to the other side of your grey Deck.

Now you need another 12x4 Flat red Deck. Make it double Layered.

Next you need a 2x4 red block, with a 2x4 red flat piece ontop of it. Install it in the middle of the previous deck you just built, and on the far side of it.

Next you need a 2x6 red flat, a 1x6 red flat, 2x3 black flat, and a 2x4 red flat, and 2 1x2 red flats. (for the last 3 pieces i used a "fender" type of thing. but the flat 4 with 2 flat 1x2's is the same shape)

put together like this.

Next you need these pieces, not gonna try to describe them, you can tell.

Install to the previous red deck, like so.

install the prevous piece under these, like so.

Now install the grey side of the grey deck to this piece.

Install 2 of your wheel pieces like this, with 2 Flat 1x2's Under it to make it flush with the red deck.

Install 2 2x4 blue pieces over the wheels to hold them sturdy for support, also install one of those black bar things, in the center between the ramps where that gap was in the goofy piece we made.

Now install the other red deck, so the other side of the dyno like so.

Install your last 2 wheels here. (on these ones i used these special axles, they are kinda a wide axle thing, im cant remember why i used these, and im not sure if the normal axles will work, so if you dont have these, you might have to play this step by ear, but make it similar)

Next you need 2 Flat red 2x4's and a flat blue 2x3. Install them over the wheels like this for support.

You'll notice a gap under the red 2x4's you just installed. feel free to fill them in like this if you wish.

Next add a red 2x2 block with a flat 2x2 piece on top here.

Build a 1x12 Red Wall, Double Stacked.

Install a flat red 2x4 over the center cube you just previously installed, that connects to the dyno and the red wall you just built.

add another black bar thing.

Now your dyno should look something like this from over head!!
I added these green straps (you can use the lego chains or anything really) Wrapped them around the green bars, and attached them in the center of the dyno. this is so when your car is on the dyno, it looks like it is strapped down.

And now you should have something that looks similar to this Dyno Dynamics Dyno!! Best AWD dyno on the market!! (IMO)

Next Ill show ya how i built my 2 post Lift.

Plug in your hot glue gun! your gonna need it!

Start out with 2 black 6x6 flat pieces. with a 2x10 blue flat piece between them.

Next add a blue 2x14 piece on top of the blue 2x10 to connect everything like so. You will also need two stacks of 2x4 Blue Blocks. Stacked 8 High.

Put HOT GLUE on every single pieces that connects to another. you need this thing strong!! it has to hold a lot of weight. so glue EVERYTHING TOGETHER!!!

Now you need 4 blue, 1x4's. Stack them like this.

You need 4 Black, Swiveling 1x2's. 4 Black 1x2 flat Grills. You install the grill onto the Swiveling blocks to give them a flat surface for glueing the legs of the lift onto. Hot glue 2 of the swiveling blocks to each blue piece like so.

then hot glue, these 4 yellow legs onto the flat grill part of the swiveling blocks you just made.

Install on top of your lift like this.

and now your post should swivel from being parralelle with the Post, to straight across intersecting the post, and everywhere in between.

with a end result something like this.

If you dont have those yellow legs, well you will have to use your imagination to fab something up, but that should help you get the fuctioning part of the lift to help accomodate any xmod.

So sorry if some of it is a little unclear, i tried. If you have any questions just ask, i can take more pictures if needed. Enjoy!
Old 11-08-2008, 04:27 PM
Elite member

Trader Rating: (0)

nice man! very creative.
Old 11-08-2008, 04:34 PM
Banned

Location: White padded room. Looking down on you. And your every move....

Very nice SPR!

Im gonna do this later~!
Old 11-08-2008, 04:52 PM
Elite member

hmm.. not bad.. just that the dyno can't check the speed but cool anyways
Old 11-08-2008, 05:13 PM
SPR

no its just for looks, to pull off the look of a garage or shop. you want to check speed, get a tamiya. but its the biggest, most gawd awful looking thing ever. doesnt look like no dyno.
Old 11-08-2008, 11:20 PM
That's what she said.

Trader Rating: (1)

Lol! Lego ghetto >.<
Old 11-09-2008, 06:43 PM
XMS Moderator

Trader Rating: (14)

Great job you have a kick a$$ little set up going on there
Old 11-09-2008, 06:47 PM
SPR

Thanks clint!
Old 11-09-2008, 06:50 PM
Bored...

Trader Rating: (7)

you could download Lego Digital Designer. that'd be easier. you can printoff directions, and all the parts and you could sell these on the BST section
Old 11-09-2008, 06:52 PM
SPR

your idea. you got hte basica design, feel free to take it and make some money. Sounds like to much work to me, specially when no one is going to buy them lol.
Old 11-09-2008, 08:29 PM
is here

Send a message via AIM to Stampedekid Send a message via MSN to Stampedekid

Haha nice SPR, looks kick @$$! Nice lift too!
Old 11-09-2008, 09:34 PM
washed-up, retired, cool.

Really nice, but I would do two wheels/axles per Xmod tire so it can't slip off.

Old 11-09-2008, 10:19 PM
SPR

Quote:
Originally Posted by xmodkidd33 View Post
Really nice, but I would do two wheels/axles per Xmod tire so it can't slip off.

its not like it moves? how would it slip off....
Old 11-09-2008, 10:30 PM
Elite member

xmodkidd i made a 2wd drive with two wheels so it cant come off just get two more wheels and put them behind the first ones
Old 11-09-2008, 10:31 PM
SPR

i know what your talking about, and i know how to do it, the only reason i didnt was because i didnt have 4 more grey wheels. But its not like it slips off, it doesnt move. so does it really matter?
Old 11-09-2008, 10:36 PM
Elite member

mine does unless i put a little pressure on it. it rolls of the top of the wheel and gets traction on the deck then shoots off so i took the front ones and put them in back cause my mustang is 2wd
Old 11-09-2008, 10:38 PM
SPR

are you actaully driving your car on the dyno? that would make sense if your are. but i dont drive on my dyno, its strictly for looks to pull off the look of the shop.
Old 11-09-2008, 10:42 PM
Elite member

well i did once or twice to see if it worked. and i have mostly muscle cars and i dont know to many 4wd muscle cars so that helps pull of that look of a 2wd dyno.
Old 11-09-2008, 10:51 PM
SPR

ahh gotcha, well that makes sense of why it would come off then. have you thought about actually strapping the car down? like you would in real life? they dont just sit there by them self, they have to be strapped down.

mines purely for looks, the cars just sit there. no driving. so i dont need any of that.
Old 11-09-2008, 11:01 PM
Elite member

well i know to strap it down. i didnt cause i could find a chain or some string but if i put a bar in front of it. works no prob
Closed Thread