Go Back   XmodSource.com > Xmods > XMOD Projects
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Gallery iTrader Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 11-14-2008, 10:37 PM
SPR

Default 56K: SPR Rally Team!

Sorry about the new thread, i got tired of chassing three thread, so im starting one new one!

56K WARNING!! OVER 200 PICTURES!!!

This will feature the STi Rally Car, the Rally Team Hummer, With the Custom Built Trailer. and ill start off from day one to document everything again for the new people just jumping into this project. So here goes the longest post in history!!

Also going to price everything, incase your curious how much i have wraped up in this. Or how much it would cost to build one.

I started out with a real drive STi with a xmods bodykit. (Fake wanna be xmods)
Valued at $20

Gotta cut away all teh glue holding the wires keeping the chassis and body connected.

Set the chassis aside, its going to be a shelf queen chassis for another of my subaru bodys.

Stipped the body of all body parts.

Mask the windows off.

Car sanded down. the roof scoop is taken from the stock hood scoop of a spare STi hood i had.

masked off the taillights, so i could do my favorite real life suby mod, to my xmod!

Handy tip for painting small parts, So the force of the air and paint hitting them doesnt blow them around, they are easily moveable and rotatable for better painting angles. and your not touching them ever!

First coat of paint. (Spray SUPER LIGHT COATS for the best paintjobs!)
$4 can of normal white spray paint

second coat of paint.

5th coat. Finally starting to get some coverage.

BASE coat completely laid out.

Beginging Mock up of the Rally Car. Wrong front and rear bumper. To high of a hood scoop. semi gloss white base coat.

Then it went back under the knife.

The Custom made WRC Wing.

Blacked out headlamps

Reverted back to stock front and rear bumpers. with a custom cut front bumper.

Shortened the roof scoop. (pictured on another suby shell)

Then started with the Chassis Build. I paid 80 bucks for my first subaru STi starter kit, which is where this chassis came from. But ill value the chassis at $35.

Started out with the simple mods of hard treaded tires to grip the dirt.
AWD kit
Locked diffs front and rear
$10 dollar value

and yes its rockin a pink spare wheel, because i lost one of my subaru gold rally wheels.

I purchased a body kit lot of about 150 kits a long time ago, and one of the blue civic kits was flawed and had the same front bumper in it twice. So i pulled it off the shelf and cut the 2 front bumpers to pieces because they had a "intercooler" looking grill. (kit was worth about $9 bucks)

So the next step was to lift the chassis. It started out with 1/16th of an inch ground clearance at the highest point.

Next i opened one of my Suspension upgrades and added in a 3 degree tie rod. Grey dampers, blue shocks and yellow shocks. Cost me $1, but valued now days at $6

To keep the tie rod from bending down and jamming up the steering with the extra lift, i had to trim this plate down.

Added grey dampers with blue springs on the stiffest setting for the normal springs, and added yellow springs cut in half between each nuckle and the chassis.

This gave me another 1/16th Inch of lift, while keeping my suspension completly functional. Total ground clearance at the highest point now is 2/16th of an inch.

So the suspension lift was done for now. But i also did a 1/16th inch body lift, and had to build a custom rear mount, because the real drive body mounts different.

time to go back to some body work.

Mock up of the WRC wing (not finished)

Car getting ready to go in for its Pearl coat of paint.

Final mock up pictures before the final stage of paint.

Ready for Paint!

So at this point, i didnt have the paint yet, so i went onto the next project. Building the Rally Team Hummer!

I bought this from a member on the board, it was really beat up and had seen better days, but i was going to fix it into a beautiful SUT. Think i traded something for it. so im going to put the value at $5.

Bast coat on the hummer laid.

Back end molded.

By this time i got the Pearl white paint and Pearl Clear coat on the Rally car.
$14 bucks in paint
painted it and let it dry, so i pealed off the tape, and set it up to let it sit some more and cure before putting it back together. These pictures do not do the paint justice. this is the most beautiful pearl white paint job ever. i looove it. Out side pictures in real light its going to look 10000X better.

couldnt wait to put it together, so i got out one of my nice soft oakley beanies to lay it on, so it didnt get scratched up. and installed the 2 light kits.
$10 dollar value
and hot glued all the wires to the roof to keep things neat and tiddy out of the way.

During this step. i had to get out my drill to drill the fog light holes bigger in the bumper for the lights to fit in. Well i accidently knocked my drill over and sent the hummer body flying to the ground, when i stepped back to look where it went..... Well....

Needless to say, that Hummer body went By By...

So at this point, i just moved to the Third stage. The Trailer!

I started out with this model trailer that was originally a waverunner trailer.

But obviously it was WAY to short.

Before cutting.

Cut the wheels off, and the tounge off.

cut the back end off, and then found the size to make it.

Cut out a piece of cardboard and hot glued the pieces too it. I put pop sicle sticks on the side to keep it cleaner looking at not like ragged cardboard.

I lifted the trailer as well. for one so i could fit bigger tires. and 2 so it would fit the ride height of the Hummer better.

Painted a base coat.

Then forgot to take pictures for a few steps. I smoothed everything out. Painted it black. With the diamond plate front deck. Added Ramps painted black from legos. Added the hummer tail lights as trailer lights, which i fully intend to have working. and to keep it subaru color themed. I put it on Gold tC wheels.
$4 paint
$6 wheel value

Added lego pieces for tie downs.

Added a lego tool box to hold the lego chains for tying it down. Plus a winch, and some bars.

So now i can strap the car down, and not worry about it falling off.

The Hummer being hauled off to the dump haha.

Some finished pictures of the body work on the Rally Car. Still missing that one wheel though! And yes the front bumper got messed up during paint, but i didnt care to fix it, because that front bumper is going to get trashed anyways!

The Rally Inspired steering wheel.
valued at $4.

So now it was time to start the last part of this Build. The Team Rally Course!
It finally had stopped raining, and all my leaves finally fell. And i have this spot in my yard where grass just has never grown, its always been dirt. So i raked all the leaves away, and im turning it into a Rally Course!

After raking the dirt to get the big rocks, and leave and crap out, heres the starting progess.

So thats the open layout. Brung out the hoe, and went to work. (no pun intended lol)

Thats the first stage. I took a break there. and came back later that night. Had to bring out the heavy duty work lights, but was well worth it

Then the final part is stage 3. It has a loong curvy straight, then up the hill onto tarmac (concrete) and back down to the starting pad.

Its hard to tell, but there is a lot of jumps, and bumps, ditches, crest, banks, and all sorts of other stuff in this, it should be quite the fun track to run when its all done!

So Next step was to go back to the car. I got the idea to build some skid plates for it, to help protect it. I used this idea on my 1/10th scale touring car to protect the chassis from scratches and keep the rocks and dirt and grime out of the car its self. it worked fumazing!! So im using the same technique on this car.

First you need a piece of lexan. I used the face of the civic body kit i opened for the intercoolers. Took a blue sharpie and marked the whole where it would bolt to the car.

Used this handy dandy little lexan hole maker. Makes the prefect round holes any size you want with out bending or warping the lexan.

Bolted it to the car.

put the car body on

traced where it needed to be cut.

Trimmed.

Then painted.
Silver paint valued at $5

You paint the car side of the lexan not the ground side. You do this because it gives the ground side a very glossy finish to it because of the lexan. also because when you scrap it, the paint will not be damaged. but the lexan will get scratch marks in it, and it will resemble the look of a real metal skid plate getting dinged up.

had to add my custom SPR logo to it

the back has one too where it bends up.

So now the car is sitting waiting on the finishing Chassis upgrades/Parts.

But some more parts came in for the Hummer!!

4WD kit, Lift Kit, and Over sized Super Swampers!
$60 dollar value

Slammed Wheels for the Super Swampers.
$7 bucks

Custom wound Armature for good torque for pulling.
$10 value

So thats where it stands as of today.. I have Lots more parts in the mail on their way. they should all be here this coming week. So updates very very soon.

Price...
*note* all prices that say "Valued At". Were pieces i already had or traded for. Prices are based apon what you would find on ebay in NEW condition.
All prices that flat out say $* ammount. Are how much i have actually Spent.

So as of right now what i have posted...

SPR Rally Team Valued At: $209
SPR Rally Team My Cost: $34

keep in mind i have way more than this invested into parts that are still in the mail. im just holding out to figure those into the cost untill they arrive.

Thanks for looking and comments all over again please!!

Last edited by Donziikid; 11-14-2008 at 11:20 PM..
Old 11-14-2008, 11:03 PM
Elite member

Trader Rating: (1)
Send a message via AIM to BulletsRain

I'm still grieving for that hummer....
Things are looking good so far. Nice work on that trailer too.
Old 11-14-2008, 11:18 PM
SPR

Lol yeah that poor thing.

My new hummer body shipped this after noon. it should be here in a few days!!
Old 11-14-2008, 11:19 PM
XMS Administrator

Trader Rating: (5)
Send a message via AIM to Donziikid

Lookin' good, SPR.

I've also edited your title to include "56K" for a slight warning towards members still on dial up.

Greyscale Racing Member

The Collection:
Mitsubishi Pajero | AE RC18MT
TLMicroCrawler | Xmod ShowRoom | 'Yota XTruck
"The fun begins when the pavement ends."

Old 11-14-2008, 11:28 PM
SPR

Thanks hopefully this hits page 2 soon so it will start loading faster when you visit it lol.

and i should have some parts showing up tomorrow and monday i can actually give a good update with. and more parts showing up for sure on tuesday i can give an even better update with so be looking forward to next week!!
Old 11-15-2008, 01:21 PM
washed-up, retired, cool.

Great looking so far!

I love that photo for some reason.

Old 11-15-2008, 08:04 PM
SPR

Thanks, some parts i needed for the car to run showed up today, but were damaged. beyound useable. so now i gotta reorder. or some findone else on here that has a spare set. or this project is going to be on hold longer yet!!

anyone have disc break nuckles?!?!?!!!
Old 11-16-2008, 09:58 PM
SPR

My 50 white LED's showed up today finally! (Gotta be pretty special to get mail on a sunday lmao)

So tomorrow im going to start on the custom underglow for the truck, custom underglow for the trailer, custom tail lights for the trailer, custom fog lights for the truck and whatever else i can think to use the last 40 led's for haha.

Also hopefully exspecting some more parts tomorrow to help move the projects forward!
Old 11-16-2008, 10:05 PM
Bored...

Trader Rating: (7)

dont forget rally lights for the white Subaru!
Old 11-16-2008, 10:06 PM
is here

Send a message via AIM to Stampedekid Send a message via MSN to Stampedekid

Nice SPR! I'm likin your custom Skids! I might just have to make one for the G35 chassis running Camaro Body and Titan Rims and tires.
Old 11-16-2008, 10:07 PM
SPR

i tried a set of those with epic failure haha.

i might try some fiberglass later on down the road when i feel like spending 40 bucks in materials just to use about 10 cents worth of them.
Old 11-16-2008, 10:08 PM
SPR

Quote:
Originally Posted by xmodracer1 View Post
Nice SPR! I'm likin your custom Skids! I might just have to make one for the G35 chassis running Camaro Body and Titan Rims and tires.
**** double post lol.

this skids work awesome, they really protect the chassis from dings and scratchs. its not going to stop it from breaking on a hard enough hit, but they deff keep the dirt and grime out and keep the chassis looking brand new. so i must say they do their job.
Old 11-16-2008, 10:30 PM
SPR

Woot! Just got word about my motor Its built and ready to ship! and evadently a little more than i was expecting This is what i was told:

"It features a spiral armature with a FAT comm, so its extra special! Your my first customer to get one of these bad boys!"

Soo freaking stoked i cant wait, should be shipping tomorrow
Old 11-16-2008, 10:34 PM
Subaru Nut

Trader Rating: (7)

If you have foam like hard foam you could maybe mold a light piece for the hood. Also if u have any extra leds when your all done drop me drop me a pm please. Again I can't wait to Sedna video of the car rallieing like ken block
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donziikid View Post
You can't fix stupid.
MY TUTORIALS
SNOW PLOW
HUMMER DROP HITCH
DULLY TIRE TUT
Old 11-16-2008, 10:41 PM
SPR

i think the only way to build the rally lights to my standards is going to be fiberglass, although foam may be used to make the mold. but we will see.

im droping you a PM right now, because ill have atleast 30-40 spare LED's.
Old 11-17-2008, 07:57 PM
SPR

well today was a little bit like christmas!

started out with getting 2 new xmods in the mail.

i stole the extra parts out of them that i wanted that would help my projects and then listed the starter kits on ebay (PM me if you want the links)

Ended up with 3 out of 4 of the wheels ive been wanting for ever now. (if you have a 4th, please PM ME!)

My New Hummer body came in today as well, Thanks Spitfire!
Cost $4

as well as with my stage 1 motors i needed for parts for my custom motors
Valued at $5

My package of 3mm LEDs. Going to start on this project here soon.
Cost $5

Got a set of new disc brakes
Valued at $5

So i went to work on my chassis, i installed the disc brakes with some lexan bearing spacers to reduce the wheel wobble

Then i started in on the hummer. Masked off where its going to get cut.

So more stuff is in the mail on its way. And im going to get off here now and get some work done on these things and bring some more updates for later tonight

Last edited by SPR; 11-19-2008 at 11:51 PM..
Old 11-17-2008, 09:42 PM
MSI <3

Trader Rating: (2)

i really really like how it looked with the WIP look (mock-up pics with the mismatched parts). it would've been so hard for me to continue from there.
Old 11-17-2008, 11:22 PM
SPR

lol.

well i havnt really got any work done. my daughter got to come over tonight, so havnt been working on it.

i got as far as a little bit of LED soldiering and a little bit of cutting on the hummer. When i get a little further ill post some more pics.
Old 11-18-2008, 07:48 AM
washed-up, retired, cool.

I love the paint on the Subbie, great job on it.

Old 11-18-2008, 02:19 PM
SPR

Thanks, it looks way better in the sunlight/ to the human eye. The pictures just dont show the pearl at all. it just pops its soo nice im almost afraid to beat it up lol.

anyways heres an update!

Wired up the custom white under glow. This will be going on the truck not the car!!

Next i chopped the hummer. Glued the backed pieces into place, and started laying some paint.

Now that the base coat is on. ill get some putty or bondo or something and smooth in the back, lay a little paint over it, and then start in on the snow camo!

tore the controller apart so i can custom paint it as well.

Custom LED underglow tubes.

working tail lights on the trailer

white underglow on the trailer

Going to go to work on the wheel/tire set up on the car now and fix the rear mount, and get everything sitting right. And hopefully ill get some more parts in the mail today. More updates later today.
Closed Thread