Go Back   XmodSource.com > Mini & Micro > General Mini & Micro
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Gallery iTrader Today's Posts

Closed Thread

Old 03-28-2008, 03:09 PM
Xmod Expert

Trader Rating: (8)

Quote:
Originally Posted by texan_idiot25 View Post
PM it to me. Been semi-saving for a Novak Microspy ESC. But if you have something cheaper, I'm all ears!

So, the motor windings, and comm all go onto these extened motor shafts/drive shafts? You'll have to get me pics, that seems like an interesting way to do it.
Yeah, the shaft just extends where it usually ends, for let's say Xmod or Mini-Z motors.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donziikid View Post
Make sure that ESC is for land use and not air use, a lot of air ESCs are setup for dual motor for aerobatics and scale looks. Air use doesn't have a brake module while land obviously does. BLT, you've made this mistake before, so make sure to check twice.
Lol, it was under car FET, so I am taking it's for land rc, Texan, you'll have a pm in 5 mins.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweed View Post
As far as break-in...

I read somewere that you should run it in water. It keeps the temps down, washes the whole motor at the same time, and so on. But afterwards you have to get ALL water out (PITA) and then use some Motor Spray (big can is like $7). This displaces all water, gets rid of all dirt, and then you re-lube the bearings/bushings with some good lube. Comm drops will do more for you too. Make sure you apply them before you start break in, though.

RedSXmodder was talking about if you do that water dipping method, can't it somehow ruin(or possibly ruin) the stacks of all the wire?
Like when you let it sit or pull it out...
I like using a battery holder the best.
Old 03-28-2008, 03:16 PM
XMS Administrator

Trader Rating: (5)
Send a message via AIM to Donziikid

Quote:
Originally Posted by blt456 View Post
Lol, it was under car FET, so I am taking it's for land rc, Texan, you'll have a pm in 5 mins.

RedSXmodder was talking about if you do that water dipping method, can't it somehow ruin(or possibly ruin) the stacks of all the wire?
Like when you let it sit or pull it out...
I like using a battery holder the best.
Alright. Let's hope the site gave you the correct information.

Water dipping won't ruin your windings.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Site
Another method for breaking in motors is the dipping method. This involves dipping a motor in liquid, usually water, in a jar. It's often connected to 4 or 6 cells when dunked. The fluid around the armature causes a high load to be placed on the motor, and this can easily draw upwards of 30 amperes. This puts a large load on the motor, again causing the brushes to seat quickly. However, water can get between the commutator and brushes, and may cause some arcing to take place; firm brush springs will minimize this. Arcing is what causes the most commutator wear, so it is best to minimize arcing. Some people will blindly state that "water and electronics don't mix; anyone knows that", but these people don't understand what is going on. Pure water is an insulator. Although we are not dealing with pure water, the water we would be using (fresh water) has a very high resistance. Much higher than what would short out a motor run at 7 or so volts. The major problem with water is corrosion; if you ever water-dip your motor, make sure it is thuroughly dried before being stored. It can be dried by running the motor thus causing it to heat up, but since the armature stack is iron, it will rust. Water dipping will also thuroughly clean all the crud out of your motor, but it will not clean the commutator..
Source: Second to last paragraph.]

Greyscale Racing Member

The Collection:
Mitsubishi Pajero | AE RC18MT
TLMicroCrawler | Xmod ShowRoom | 'Yota XTruck
"The fun begins when the pavement ends."

Old 03-28-2008, 03:24 PM
Xmod Expert

Trader Rating: (8)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donziikid View Post
Alright. Let's hope the site gave you the correct information.

Water dipping won't ruin your windings.

Source: Second to last paragraph.]
Thanks Donzii, just read the last two paragraphs, and I understand the point of water dipping, thanks.
Closed Thread