Go Back   XmodSource.com > Xmods > XMOD Appearance
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Gallery iTrader Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-18-2010, 11:07 AM
Stage 2 member

Trader Rating: (0)
Default styrene strips ????

hi im sure you are all tryin to forget me for bein such a pain in the postereior but some of you may have seen the thread for my sons titan im turning into a mini monster, now ive seen ppl goin on about styrene strips and ive seen pics of this stuff bein used to make wheel arches...so what is that stuff and where can i buy some AND can i use putty over it to make wheel arches. ive ground the titan arches off to make way for some huge lego wheels ( you may have seen the pics in a previous thread ) so now i have to rebuild them and this styrene stuff looks like it may work...so yet again please help...i know im a pain and if i can help somebody else out i will...and how do ya stick it on, will an adhesive like supa glue or araldite work ar is it sticky backed....any help wll be appreciated
Old 02-18-2010, 11:46 AM
Stage 2 member

Trader Rating: (1)

you can use old credit/gift cards or small cards of that nature. glue or putty can be used to hold them on. you can make a base out of styrene to puttty over to make the wheel arches
370z-stock
Old 02-18-2010, 06:02 PM
Advance member

Trader Rating: (3)

To answer your question, you can get styrene by the sheet at most hobby shops, as well as the putty you need. You can use an adhesive to hold it in place until the putty sets. Also make sure you are in a well ventilated area if you are using the aircraft putty most people recommend.

I would suggest getting the thinnest sheet of styrene possible, and building it up. Styrene also weighs less than putty, so do most of your shaping in styrene, then use light layers of putty ( for weight, but also because thick layers of putty can crack). Hope this helps.
Old 02-18-2010, 09:05 PM
Gen 1 junkie !

Trader Rating: (6)
Send a message via AIM to dontspamme Send a message via MSN to dontspamme

eBay also has a huge selection for putty or styrene, so if you don't have access to a hobby store, that might be your best bet.
Old 02-21-2010, 07:59 AM
Stage 2 member

thanx for all the advice, styrene or plastic it is then and as iused to work in a body shop the shaping and finishing the putty will be a breeze
Old 02-21-2010, 12:50 PM
I got nothin...

most of them dont tell you but you can have the gift cards from most stores free. like when i worked at target we would save the old gift cards and give them to people who wanted them. im sure you could go up to the register and ask them if you could have a few of their generic cards for free.

New Forum Needing Members:
http://rcunited.tk/
Old 02-21-2010, 08:28 PM
Stage 2 member

thats a good tip, cheers xmodzracer,