Go Back   XmodSource.com > Xmods > XMOD Projects
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Gallery iTrader Today's Posts

Old 07-23-2010, 12:15 PM
Flesh Consumer

Trader Rating: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Songha View Post
Can someone tell me the easiest way to make deep dish rims with the orange Corvette rims?
I wanna be able to paint the rim black and paint the lip yellow.
I personally have used these on a recent build.

http://www.hobbylinc.com/htm/pgh/pgh2399.htm

All you need to do is grind the outer lip from the xmod rim and then tap the rim into the sleeve.

This is how it looks after paint.

Just an idea.
Old 07-23-2010, 04:19 PM
Du Ma Mai

Trader Rating: (1)
Send a message via AIM to Songha

@cryogenic-death: That's niceee. Is that the only size though? Looks really good there.
Old 07-24-2010, 02:28 PM
Du Ma Mai

Thought I'd throw up some pics.

Evoi's buddies? lol.

Old 07-24-2010, 06:39 PM
Drift maniac

Trader Rating: (7)

Nice work!! i think your idea on blacking out the rim and leaving the lip would be really nice. it would be hard to do now though...usually you spray the black first, then you put something on top of the rim so leave the lip exposed and spray the lip. Either way the car looks awesome right now, just needs a little touching up around the windows. It's buddies look good too Wingless R34 ftw!

Team X.I.
Old 07-24-2010, 06:59 PM
Elite member

Looks good. Exhuast looks like it needs to go up into the bumper a bit more to fit in the exhaust hole/notch thingy in the bumper. lol

TEAM XI
Old 07-24-2010, 10:23 PM
lets rocknrolla

that lancer looks SEXY; paintjob looks so smooth man, and the blacked out wheels with yellow lips sound mighty fine.

What else are you planning on doing to her?
Old 07-24-2010, 10:32 PM
Du Ma Mai

@ WhiteCharisma: I agree with the touching up, and the black being sprayed on first, I plan on using a Corvette rims for that. But that built-in rotor is stopping me right now.

@ Bananabrain: About the exhaust, I just gotta bend the metal up more. Ahha, I just resprayed the her with another coat of yellow, I sanded some paint off before doing so and when I put on the exhaust, I didn't fit it out yet. xD

@ motochimp: Big smiles! Thanks. I'm hesitating on the rims I wanna use. But I'll figure something out. I wanna add a skinny white strip or black stripefrom near the corner of the driver's side front light. Also black or white "eyelids" and trying to figure out what else, any ideas would be great!

Should I spray a layer of clear coat? I dunno if that'll mess it up, make it better or whatever. She's looking good beside me, but I'm curious on how shiny and nice it'd look with some clear coat. What'ya guys think?

Can someone tell me what I need to make my own custom light. I want headlights, fog lights, and rear lights, it'll be good to go.

Last edited by Songha; 07-25-2010 at 02:29 AM.. Reason: EDIT: Add some stuff instead of adding a post.
Old 07-25-2010, 08:37 AM
Advance member

Trader Rating: (2)
Send a message via MSN to xmodsNSX94

as for the light kit it depends on what you are after.
i am in the process of making my light kit. however i am running mine of an external source and adding a swith to the original CLL board.

or try using the search bar at the top of the page

thanks
michael
NoiseControllers
Headhunterz
Old 07-25-2010, 09:14 AM
Elite member

A clear coat doesn't neccesairly make it shiny. UNless you get a high gloss or a wet look gloss then its nice & shiny. But it mainly helps protect the paint from getting chipped & scratched.

TEAM XI
Old 07-25-2010, 10:45 AM
Du Ma Mai

@ xmodsNSX94: That sounds like what I'm lookin for, running from external. Just wondering what I'll need for the whole custom kit to run 6 LEDs.

@ Bananabrain: I like the sound of wet look gloss, but I'm hesitating on actually doing it. I want the shine, but I don't want to mess it up. I've seen the Krylon clear coat for 3 bucks.

Here are the rims I wanna do the black w/ yellow lip on. An idea on how I'll be able to cover the rotors?

Oh yeah, I also moved the exhaust up, much better huh?

Also waitin' on my mom to get ink for her printer, then I can add a license plate to give that rear end a nice original add on.

Last edited by Songha; 07-25-2010 at 10:47 AM.. Reason: EDIT: Add stuff.
Old 07-25-2010, 12:37 PM
lets rocknrolla

the stripe would look VERY COOL; I'd do it black so it has a much greater contrast between the two colors. Now, the eyelids would definitely look KILLER. I'd do 'em in black as well.

I'd suggest you too use clearcoat on it; it helps protect the paint from dinging and scratching plus after you let the "gloss" clearcoat fully dry you can always give it a bit of a polish and make it reeeaaaally shiny.

Krylon clearcoats work very good; I've used them to do work on my bike as well as other applications and It has worked beauties. Krylon carries "flat / satin / glossy" finishes.

I like those wheels, good choice man! Try covering the disc with some hi-tack putty ( kinda like pritt-sticks, what you use to stick things to the walls like posters and stuff); you can trim a small chunk off of it and mold it to fit and cover your disc rotor, once painted, you can remove it with a toothpick.

Gotta be very carefull to flush it properly, you don't wanna have "mask lines" showing.

Seriously, that lancer is looking sexier and sexier every time I hit into this thread. Keep up the good work!
Old 07-25-2010, 05:20 PM
Du Ma Mai

@ motochimp: Thanks for the reply! Haha, I was thinking the same with the stripes and eyelids. As for the rims, sounds like a really good idea, if only I had bought some when I went to get the clear coat and black paint. Maybe I'll find something around. I'll take pictures as soon as I get something done.
Old 07-25-2010, 05:35 PM

Dude this is nice I can't wait until it's officially complete you did a nice job so far
Old 07-25-2010, 05:41 PM
Du Ma Mai

@ CJA94: Thanks man. I plan on getting the putty thing and doing the rims tonight.

Here's where I want to put fog lights, I think it's the perfect spot, only requires a hole and a custom light kit I'm wanting to make.

Old 07-25-2010, 05:48 PM
Elite member

The exhaust looks good now. lol

Also messing up the clear coat isn't easy to do basicly as long as you don't touch it while its wet & no hairs get it in your fine. Also an even coat of paint would work too. lol

If you wanted too you could get a shoe box & put four 9v batteries or some xmod rims & put them on the four corners of the box & when your done painting the body & set the car in the center & set the box over the body & leave a crack on the bottom for air flow & it should help minimize dirt & hairs in the paint.

TEAM XI
Old 07-25-2010, 06:02 PM
Du Ma Mai

@ Bananabrain: Haha, awesome. And the clearcoat, I think I'll use that shoebox idea. Going to Walmart in a bit, after I shower seeing as how I smell like chlorine from Water Country. ;D
Old 07-25-2010, 06:58 PM
lets rocknrolla

That's the perfect spot for the fog lights plus there's enough space through the inside to mount them without them getting in the way and rubbing the tire.

I was looking around the "electronics" threads looking for a TUT on something and I remember having seen a TUT on how to make custom lights for your xmods and mini-z's. You might want to check them out.

RADIOSHACK has all components, the LEDs, wire, resistors, and the battery plugs for 9V and battery holders for AAA and so on. They have this high intensity white / blue LED's that would work beauties, either you wanna go for the "high beam" effect on your foglights; or the blue ones if you want to have more of a xenon kinda HID effect.

They also have this UV LED's (think of blacklight, kinda...). I used them once on a little project since my colors where neons.. and what you know.. the areas that were hit by the LEDs and surroundings would sorta pop out; looked cool man.

the "pritt-stik" thingy should run for about $2.00 - 3.00 and they have it in the section where all the school/arts supplies are.

I can't wait to see how those wheels turn out man and then with the stripe and eyelids ( hopefully black HA!); Woo she's gonna look MIGHTY FINE SEXY!
Old 07-25-2010, 07:14 PM
Du Ma Mai

@ motochimp: That's great, Radioshack for custom light's is it. Can't wait to do that part too. As for the stripe and eyelids, I'm going black for sure. It'll go well with the spoiler and the rims. About to head to Walmart right now and grab what I need for the rims. They'll be posted by tomorrow or sometime tomorrow. Maybe the stripe and eyelid too.
Old 07-25-2010, 10:50 PM

Once you get the car done with the lights you should take a picture of the car in the night that would look so cool.
Old 07-26-2010, 01:00 AM
Du Ma Mai

Yellow Lancer's paint is done for, baby brother got a hold of my car. Gotta start over. The rims.. I accidentally messed them up. But yeah.. I sanded the car down.. Kinda wanna drop yellow and go to another color now. :T