Go Back   XmodSource.com > Miscellaneous > Off-Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Gallery iTrader Today's Posts

Old 07-20-2007, 07:36 PM
Stage 2 member

Trader Rating: (0)
Default whats a good electric off road car

i was thinking about getting an off road car but i don't want to keep spending my paycheck on gasoline and i might buy it online but probably not i don't like waiting and it sometimes messes up the bill so i was thinking in the line of propulses or anything at a hobby store so plz tell me what you think is the better item
Old 07-20-2007, 08:20 PM
Xmod Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbo2092 View Post
i was thinking about getting an off road car but i don't want to keep spending my paycheck on gasoline and i might buy it online but probably not i don't like waiting and it sometimes messes up the bill so i was thinking in the line of propulses or anything at a hobby store so plz tell me what you think is the better item
If you're looking towards the Pro Pulse, skip that and take a look at Team Associated's RC18 series of cars.

Its what the Pro Pulse was knocked-off from... Lousy name-brand stealing bastards at RS... (no offense to any RS employees we've got here )

The RC18R (on-road):
http://www.teamassociated.com/ae/18r/18r_home.htm

The RC18B (buggy):
http://www.teamassociated.com/ae/18b/18b_home.htm

The RC18T (stadium truck):
http://www.teamassociated.com/ae/18t/18t_home.htm

The RC18MT (monster truck):
http://www.teamassociated.com/ae/18mt/18mt_home.htm

They are all 1:18 scale, same as the Pro-Pulse. I believe the closest thing to the Pro-Pulse is the RC18B (I think the Pro-Pulse is a buggy).

Team Associated's cars are much higher quality than the Pro-Pulse, and have excellent aftermarket support with both GPM, Trinitiy (a very well known hobby-grade R/C company), as well as brushless support from high-end companies such as Novak, Castle Creations (well known for their 'Mamba' series of B/L systems), as well as LRP, Team Associated's electronics subsidiary brand.
Old 07-20-2007, 08:44 PM
Banned

Trader Rating: (14)
Send a message via AIM to xmodificationer Send a message via Yahoo to xmodificationer

i really like the 1/20 Trinity Clash
Old 07-20-2007, 08:45 PM
Stage 2 member

nice do they cost around the same and can i buy them in a hobby store? if not i it doesn't matter but i like to get stuff fast
Old 07-20-2007, 08:47 PM
Banned

Send a message via AIM to xmodificationer Send a message via Yahoo to xmodificationer

idk but there is this one website were you can get it for $65 and retail is $150. im still trying to find it tho ill post it once i find it
Old 07-20-2007, 09:10 PM
Xmod Expert

Team Associated's RC18 series are around $170+/- depending on where you buy it.

IMO, it may look similar to the Pro-Pulse, but really, they're a world of wonders compared to them. The quality of parts, as well as value, and aftermarket support.

The price included everything you need to have fun, I believe all you need to buy is 8 AA batteries for the transmitter. I don't remember if they include them... The box includes the ready-to-run (RTR) vehicle of your choice, as well as a capable 27MHz AM transmitter, an 8-hour wall charger, and a rechargeable battery.

If you want to venture into racing the RC18s, AE (Associated Electrics, Team Associated's legal company name, blah blah blah) sells the Factory Team kits, featuring titanium turnbuckles, and a host of graphite and aluminum lightening parts.

AE usually goes by: Team (regular kit), RTR (ready to run), and Factory Team (the top of the line stuff).

xmodifcationer, have you owned any hobby-grade R/C before?
Old 07-20-2007, 09:46 PM
Banned

no but i want to!, the clash looks real cool and has 2 shocks for each wheels, wheelie bar, 4wd, and its $65!
Old 07-20-2007, 09:54 PM
Stage 2 member

that sounds sick and really cheap
Old 07-20-2007, 10:14 PM
Xmod Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by xmodificationer View Post
no but i want to!, the clash looks real cool and has 2 shocks for each wheels, wheelie bar, 4wd, and its $65!
Just because it "looks cool", and is "cheap", doesn't mean its any good...

I'd recommend you do your research first before jumping into hobby-grade R/C.
Old 07-20-2007, 10:30 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by REDisFASTER View Post
If you're looking towards the Pro Pulse, skip that and take a look at Team Associated's RC18 series of cars.

Its what the Pro Pulse was knocked-off from... Lousy name-brand stealing bastards at RS... (no offense to any RS employees we've got here )

The RC18R (on-road):
http://www.teamassociated.com/ae/18r/18r_home.htm

The RC18B (buggy):
http://www.teamassociated.com/ae/18b/18b_home.htm

The RC18T (stadium truck):
http://www.teamassociated.com/ae/18t/18t_home.htm

The RC18MT (monster truck):
http://www.teamassociated.com/ae/18mt/18mt_home.htm

They are all 1:18 scale, same as the Pro-Pulse. I believe the closest thing to the Pro-Pulse is the RC18B (I think the Pro-Pulse is a buggy).

Team Associated's cars are much higher quality than the Pro-Pulse, and have excellent aftermarket support with both GPM, Trinitiy (a very well known hobby-grade R/C company), as well as brushless support from high-end companies such as Novak, Castle Creations (well known for their 'Mamba' series of B/L systems), as well as LRP, Team Associated's electronics subsidiary brand.
u said trinitiy is a good brand
Old 07-21-2007, 01:17 AM
Xmod Expert

How about an overland, i just bought a mercedes, and i have run it for about 15min...and it seems pretty decent...until i can really dig into it...LOL
Old 07-21-2007, 03:03 AM
XMS moderator

Send a message via MSN to tayyab

tamiya? i have the twin detonator it rocks
Old 07-21-2007, 04:02 AM
The One And Only

either a hpi E-Savage or a mini lst they rock!
Old 07-21-2007, 03:07 PM
Xmod Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by xmodificationer View Post
u said trinitiy is a good brand
lol, yeah? It is a good company. I use Trinity's Royal Purple Bearing Oil (not royal purple the motor oil company), Trinity's heavy Stealth Diff Lube, commutator drops, shock oil, and other misc equipment.

IMO, Mini-Z are usually very good if you've got a play to run them, like a purpose-built racing track at a LHS. They're very fun to bash with though, but with the price and quality, you probably won't be treating them the same way that you do with your XMODS.
Old 07-21-2007, 04:38 PM
Xmod Expert

i treat them the same as all my cars...with respect LOL just kidding but i have been playing with my overland forever its still sweet..once i get some upgrades ill be set to do my neibhors 1:18 scale track which he runs his LST on. i cant wait to see his face when i run that track with such a tiny car...
Old 07-21-2007, 08:09 PM
Rethink It All

Trader Rating: (8)
Send a message via AIM to RedSXmodder Send a message via MSN to RedSXmodder

Hahahah, sorry RED, but I got other opinions. I hate to start the whole which is better thing, but I have to say it.

Anything you can do with an RC18T or B, you can do with a PP. Since, as you said, the PP is a cheaper knockoff of the RC18, then the parts should be interchangable. Also, if you can do brushless in an RC18 why not in a PP? The only real difference is the body, brandname, and popularity level.

Anywho, a good electric off-road car (depending on scale) could range anywhere from a Kyosho Overland, to a Tamiya Clodbuster, lol. It all depends on price and the size you want it!

Later,
RedSXmodder

PS: RED, I'm not dissing AE, since I'll probably get that RC8 buggy pretty quick, lol...

Team Redmade Motors- Building Motors that rise above the rest!

Rethink It All
Old 07-21-2007, 08:43 PM
Xmod Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedSXmodder View Post
Hahahah, sorry RED, but I got other opinions. I hate to start the whole which is better thing, but I have to say it.

Anything you can do with an RC18T or B, you can do with a PP. Since, as you said, the PP is a cheaper knockoff of the RC18, then the parts should be interchangable. Also, if you can do brushless in an RC18 why not in a PP? The only real difference is the body, brandname, and popularity level.

Anywho, a good electric off-road car (depending on scale) could range anywhere from a Kyosho Overland, to a Tamiya Clodbuster, lol. It all depends on price and the size you want it!

Later,
RedSXmodder

PS: RED, I'm not dissing AE, since I'll probably get that RC8 buggy pretty quick, lol...
lol, that's cool! I was just rep'ing for AE

My dad is actually getting pretty ticked off about how long he's got to wait until the RC8 comes out... I'm actually waiting to see if AE goes for an RC8T, since thats what people mostly race around here... (I'm the only guy running outlaw with a GT2 vs a crowd of truggies lol).

Tamiya Clodbuster is a great choice for general bashing, as well as if you want to try out rock crawling in the future. I believe the new one is called the "Super Clodbuster", which is just a blue re-release of the classic Red Clodbuster (the older one was faster lol).

Ah, yes, the Overland... Its a very popular 'play' R/C for many in my area. They handle great, have great hop-up support, as well as adaptability, you can drive them in the house, as well as outside in (a relatively hard packed) garden. Not to mention, the Mini-Z fan base is at least 10x larger than ours (XMODS).

Over here, we've actually got an Overland dirt racing track at one of our LHS's. Its pretty awesome watching them race around and go over mild bumps! They're pretty fast for off-roaders.

If you're into micro monster-trucks, Kyosho also has the Mini-Z Monsters.

Last edited by REDisFASTER; 07-21-2007 at 08:46 PM..
Old 07-21-2007, 10:41 PM
Stage 2 member

yea but do the miniz monster trucks go fast like 20mph+ off road well at least dirt or grass i was also thinking about a microt because theyre sick but since theyre so small they can't really go off road but then there are minits but they still are kinda small and are for dirt and sand/dirt racing and i dont live nere a dirt track the closest thing i got to a track is a tennis court and some sand on the other side so tell me what truck/car could handle all of that with out grinding up the wheels and can handle grassy and gravely hills
Old 07-21-2007, 11:08 PM
Xmod Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbo2092 View Post
yea but do the miniz monster trucks go fast like 20mph+ off road well at least dirt or grass i was also thinking about a microt because theyre sick but since theyre so small they can't really go off road but then there are minits but they still are kinda small and are for dirt and sand/dirt racing and i dont live nere a dirt track the closest thing i got to a track is a tennis court and some sand on the other side so tell me what truck/car could handle all of that with out grinding up the wheels and can handle grassy and gravely hills
20+MPH? You're looking into 1:18 scale stuff then... Monster trucks are meant for torque, NOT speed. Take into a count the Mini-Z Monster's size, even 10MPH is enough to topple them over and have a plastic mess in your hands.

Like I said, if your goal is 20MPH, and handling off-road, you're better off with a 1:18 scale rather than a Mini-Z.
Old 07-21-2007, 11:36 PM
Elite member

i have the AE 18T with the mamba 6800 comp package. i still run stock batteries and gearing and it will hit 25-29 mph (i read others go up to 35 mph with lipos). even with the stock motor it was a beast. my friend has a propulse and doesnt abuse his car nowhere near as much as i do has had to replace numerous parts tie rods , shock towers , dog bones etc,etc,etc....while the only thing ive replaced is 1 front shock and the front tire( guess i shouldnt have ran it up underneath the back tire of a moving car going 25)

the same friend just got the mini LST, while it looks great and has lots of torque....from a noobs viewpoint it would almost be impossible to take apart and do your own repairs. hes had it for a few weeks and already stripped the gears.he took it back to the hobby store and they charged him $50 for a new gear and labor.

whatever part you would need to fix on an 18T ...it would be easy to get and easy to install.