Go Back   XmodSource.com > Miscellaneous > Real Cars: Full scale
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Gallery iTrader Today's Posts

Closed Thread

Old 12-21-2008, 04:56 PM
Proud Supra owner!

Trader Rating: (10)
Send a message via AIM to WhiteMKIV Send a message via MSN to WhiteMKIV Send a message via Yahoo to WhiteMKIV

****! Best 700 bucks spent ever eh? lucky.........
Quote:
Originally Posted by SPR View Post
that wasnt exactly a good first post....

but im flattered my tool box turns you on
Old 12-21-2008, 06:40 PM
drifter and engineer

Trader Rating: (5)
Send a message via AIM to XMDrifter

lol
better keep it safe so it doesn't get stolen again and you'd have to rebuild it all over again.
do you have it yet? as in has the shipping company agreed to ship it to you?

get bucket seats with those harnesses!
build the engine up a bit with a better intake and maybe an exhaust after you get it built and maybe you'd pump more power.

i agree. i think rwd sucks in the snow unless you are a good driver.

Last edited by XMDrifter; 12-21-2008 at 06:44 PM..
Old 12-21-2008, 07:23 PM
SPR

Quote:
Originally Posted by XMDrifter View Post
lol
better keep it safe so it doesn't get stolen again and you'd have to rebuild it all over again.
do you have it yet? as in has the shipping company agreed to ship it to you?

get bucket seats with those harnesses!
build the engine up a bit with a better intake and maybe an exhaust after you get it built and maybe you'd pump more power.

i agree. i think rwd sucks in the snow unless you are a good driver.

Cars dont get stolen around here. it just doesnt happen. no one has the skills to steal an sti. with the immobilizer system they are pretty much theft proof in these parts.

i wont talk to a shipping company untill monday. car is sold to me pending shipping company response and prices...

You do realise ALL subarus come with bucket seats stock right? If you were trying to say racing buckets... well thats basically what a sti seat is...Ill run standard sti seats for a while with a 10 point cage and 6 point harness. later on i might decide to save weight and ditch the sti seats for something else. But prob not untill i have a new dialy driver since the sti seats are already uncomfortable enough on long rides. last thing i want is a crappy racing bucket to sit in for 5 hours of driving.

but you really shouldnt be trying to talk subaru, u just made no sense with the building part... at all...

first off intakes on subarus dont do any good, and do not build any power what so ever. and can harm your motor if not tuned properly for it. the stock intake is good for 400 hp, thats more than i plan on having for quite a while. and there is no maybe with exhaust. its turbo... running a restrictive exhaust is the stupidest thing ever. Ill run a 4" open down pipe and thats it. that alone will bump my power up tramendously with a good tune.
Old 12-22-2008, 02:44 PM
The Daywalker

Trader Rating: (1)
Send a message via AIM to Numbchux Send a message via MSN to Numbchux Send a message via Yahoo to Numbchux

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmythekid1 View Post
I guess the definition of suck depends on the driver. Personally I enjoy driving sideways down my whole block. But I have been said to be a little nuts. Michigan does not allow chains or studs so I have never used them myself.
yea, a RWD car would do "fine". works alright for transportation with a careful driver on plowed roads.

an AWD/4WD car does pretty well on all-season tires in the snow.

but there's nothing like having AWD car with snow/ice tires.

there were zero 2WD vehicles going uphill in Duluth last weekend. and I was out delivering. 8" of fresh snow, 20mph winds, 4 below, and no plows (they stopped trying to keep up with the drifts). oh, and the whole town is on a ~30% grade

and yes, I enjoy driving sideways all over the place, but I enjoy doing it with speed and control. I also enjoy doing axis spins

I don't know where you're getting the mileage numbers, but my real-world experience, subaru auto trannies suck power and mileage. regardless of motor, an AT will get 3-5mpg worse than a 5MT. and again, the turbo uses a good 5+ (depending on weather and driving style).

SPR, the pics I posted. that STi is getting a solid rear axle and a TH400 tranny. he's shooting for 1000rwhp from his built EJ257 (will be 2.7l). it should look much like the RWD ESX drag cars, except solid white and street-driven.

"Where are we going, and why are we in a handbasket?"
Subaru --- All We'll Drive
Member: NSW, USC, MNS, C4C. Founder/Owner: NCC
Old 12-22-2008, 03:01 PM
drifter and engineer

imeant a 4" exhaust all the way through
and a low restriction muffler and cat.

wait edit. nevermind
did you say you're gonna run just a downpipe and no cat, not muffler, no exhaust?!

and yeah i make no sense when i'm thinking. my friends say it all the time.

using a good intake filter should help somewhat if it the right one.
idk what the right one is, but it should do something.
BOV? bigger turbo? twin turbo(custom made piping and such)?

Last edited by XMDrifter; 12-22-2008 at 03:07 PM..
Old 12-22-2008, 05:08 PM
SPR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Numbchux View Post
SPR, the pics I posted. that STi is getting a solid rear axle and a TH400 tranny. he's shooting for 1000rwhp from his built EJ257 (will be 2.7l). it should look much like the RWD ESX drag cars, except solid white and street-driven.
sooo sick! bobby at PRE has a chevy trans in his 02 wrx as well. im not sure which model though. mighta saw it in suby sport awhile back, it was yellow and doing a burn out, pretty sweet. personally i cant stand rwd subys, it sounds like a crime, but i must admit. i admire the work.

Quote:
imeant a 4" exhaust all the way through
and a low restriction muffler and cat.

wait edit. nevermind
did you say you're gonna run just a downpipe and no cat, not muffler, no exhaust?!

and yeah i make no sense when i'm thinking. my friends say it all the time.

using a good intake filter should help somewhat if it the right one.
idk what the right one is, but it should do something.
BOV? bigger turbo? twin turbo(custom made piping and such)?
Open 4" down pipe means it goes from the turbo threw a 4" pipe down to under the car. and then is just wide open. no exhaust no nothing. very loud, very awesome sounding. very open and free flowing. This is how a lot of drag cars are set up. except they normally dump it out the front bumper vs under the car. so its a good 2 foot shorter pipe.

I dont have smog emissions testing around here. So thats a plus, how ever im still required to run a cat and muffler. so ill bolt my buddys stock wrx exhaust on to get it retitled. and then spend the 5 minutes unbolting it. Its not loud enough to bother the cops to wasting their time to check the DB's and they are too stupid to realise theres no exhaust under there. so they dont think anything of it.

i could buy the best intake in the world, and it will not help a subaru. now a K&N filter in the stock intake box, helps. but it doesnt boost the hp anything worth talking about. maybe .5 hp at max. nothing your ever going to know. Intakes on subarus run them lean. and when they are not tuned for it, that doesnt create any power. a lot of people run stage 2 maps that were tuned for the stock intake, and then throw on a intake and wonder why their car runs like ****, or why they are having problems. because intakes suck. this isnt a honda.

the stock BOV is the same senario. its good for up to 400 hp. you dont need a bov untill you have changed your turbo, waste gate, and intercooler. The stock set up really isnt even a blow off valve (BOV) its a by pass valve. meaning it recirculates the air back into the system. So when you start running BOV's on a stock subaru, you start getting ruff idles and loss of power. Fake ebay HKS knock offs will not even allow a subaru to run, they leak so bad it just wont run.

Turbo would be great. But do you have the 1500 bucks to buy a turbo thats actually bigger than the VF34? i sure dont. then the 400 bucks to buy bigger injectors that can handle that bigger turbo? and then another 100 to buy a bigger fuel pump? and then another 800 to buy me a UTEC so i can tune for it?

Twin turbo is no go as well. JDM subarus in a few models came twin turbo, but they dont work in USDM cars because the LHD steering is in the way of the turbo. So not only is it a crap load of custom fab work. i find it to be not enough positives to go with the cost.

so like i said, unless you know suby, you really shouldnt try to talk it. they are nothing like a honda or a v8. or any other turbo'ed car really. They are in their own little world haha.
Old 12-22-2008, 06:00 PM
Elite member

Trader Rating: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPR View Post
so like i said, unless you know suby, you really shouldnt try to talk it. they are nothing like a honda or a v8. or any other turbo'ed car really. They are in their own little world haha.
I second that. My dad used to work as a auto mechanic (now hes a drilling/heavy equipment mechanic) and he was a great mechanic. Any car, any problem, he could fix easily. Except when someone brought in a subaru or an audi... He hated working on them, lol.

Anyway, seems like one hell of a project! I hope shipping doesnt give you too much trouble. Its sad to see a good car in so many pieces...
Old 12-22-2008, 06:25 PM
drifter and engineer

well, for adding 5000 to the cost of rebuilding your STi i think a bigger turbo would be worth it.
the BOV...well, i know cars that are turbo when stock use a bypass valve all the time. it's when the bypass valve can't handle a lot of power like 500-600 that a BOV sounds like a good idea.
but i guess you aren't really trying to make this the uber-high horsepwer STi are you?
Old 12-22-2008, 06:38 PM
Stage 1 member

All I got to say is I hope the dump out exhaust is quieter than what I had. My last Tiburon (2005 V6 model) was supercharged, DC ceramic headers to DC exhaust which really was pipes to the back bumper. No cats, no mufflers and everyone knew when I left for work in the morning. It wasn't the stereotypical "bumblebee" sound since the pipes were the right size for the power output but it was just.... loud...

Man I sure wouldn’t mind getting back into cars…
Old 12-22-2008, 07:25 PM
washed-up, retired, cool.

Trader Rating: (1)

Sounds like a great start for a project! Are you going to keep the stock gears and brakes? How about the suspension?

Old 12-22-2008, 08:58 PM
SPR

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJB32690 View Post
I second that. My dad used to work as a auto mechanic (now hes a drilling/heavy equipment mechanic) and he was a great mechanic. Any car, any problem, he could fix easily. Except when someone brought in a subaru or an audi... He hated working on them, lol.

Anyway, seems like one hell of a project! I hope shipping doesnt give you too much trouble. Its sad to see a good car in so many pieces...
i dont really find em to hard to work on, they are pretty basic, but like any car they have their quorks. but when it comes to tuning, they are way different. audi. phss screw audis. ill never touch another one haha.

Quote:
well, for adding 5000 to the cost of rebuilding your STi i think a bigger turbo would be worth it.
the BOV...well, i know cars that are turbo when stock use a bypass valve all the time. it's when the bypass valve can't handle a lot of power like 500-600 that a BOV sounds like a good idea.
but i guess you aren't really trying to make this the uber-high horsepwer STi are you?
im having a hard enough time coming up with 1800 just to buy the shell and get it to me. getting a loan for 5500 just to get the stock motor and all the stock parts to get it driving is going to be achieveable, and 100 bucks a month isnt to bad. but im not going to paying on 10k in performance upgrades on a loan for 10 years. thats just stupid. if you have to take out a loan on that kind of stuff, you cant afford it. next thing you know its going to be blown, and your going to be paying on parts you dont even have.

So coming up with another 3 grand just to get a bigger turbo, is out of the question for any time soon. so no im not going for a ubber high horsepower sti. a sti with 500 pounds less weight than stock, and 50 hp more than stock will be a great increase over stock. that will put it in the 12's on the 1/4 mile. penty fast to get in trouble with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 07Rubicon View Post
All I got to say is I hope the dump out exhaust is quieter than what I had. My last Tiburon (2005 V6 model) was supercharged, DC ceramic headers to DC exhaust which really was pipes to the back bumper. No cats, no mufflers and everyone knew when I left for work in the morning. It wasn't the stereotypical "bumblebee" sound since the pipes were the right size for the power output but it was just.... loud...

Man I sure wouldn’t mind getting back into cars…
it will be loud, but because the tone is soo much deeper thanks to the boxer set up and un equal lenght headers, it wont be as loud as a tibby. ill post a vid in a bit of my buddys STi swap running 4" open down pipe. i just gotta find out where i hosted it first im running a blank.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xmodkidd33 View Post
Sounds like a great start for a project! Are you going to keep the stock gears and brakes? How about the suspension?

ill run a stock sti transmission, theres no reason to change it. that is one of the best tranmissions around. it doesnt need messed with untill your making 700+ HP.

ill run the stock STi brakes too. the 4 Pod brembos are no joke, and again, dont need to be changed for quite awhile, they stop you on the dime. they are HUGE. how ever i will upgrade the rotars and pads. I tend to heat my breaks up on hard road rallys. so i need some good rotars.

and suspension ill probably keep stock for a while. untill i decide if its going to be strictly a rally car. or strictly a track car.

*edit, heres the vid*

http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fu...deoID=40605073

*edit again*

heres another vid with open down pipe. forgot about this one. skip the first minute of video. it sucks. about 1:15 it gets better.

http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fu...deoID=19321368

Last edited by SPR; 12-22-2008 at 09:15 PM..
Old 12-22-2008, 09:46 PM
drifter and engineer

very nice sounding.
what rotors and pads are you planning for?
Old 12-22-2008, 09:51 PM
SPR

Quote:
very nice sounding.
what rotors and pads are you planning for?

anythting cross drilled and slotted. i can get a good price on EBC's threw work. like 30 bucks a rotor. So ill probably go that route. Pads, ehh doesnt matter really. anything more than stock and low dust. i hate cleaning the brake dust on the BBS's. anyone who has ever owned a STi would know what i mean when i say the brake dust is a pain lol.
Old 12-22-2008, 11:20 PM
drifter and engineer

i hate brake dust. keeps bugging me but my parents won't let me clean it off our family cars' wheels cuz they say it's a waste of time
Old 12-22-2008, 11:32 PM
I got nothin...

man great find! if i were you i would do this instead of the camaro...

New Forum Needing Members:
http://rcunited.tk/
Old 12-22-2008, 11:41 PM
SPR

Quote:
Originally Posted by xmodzracer View Post
man great find! if i were you i would do this instead of the camaro...

ive wanted the camaro longer. and i still have the camaro money sitting aside. so ill take on both. the camaro shoulda been half done by now! im getting really mad i cant get it into the shop. hopefully the first of january...
Old 12-24-2008, 12:07 AM
Elite member

Trader Rating: (4)

actually dude you can tune a subaru similiar to a porshe because they have the same horizontally opposed boxter engine no not the car
Old 12-24-2008, 12:25 AM
Yes, 1945 Cadillac Tank

Send a message via AIM to texan_idiot25

Quote:
Originally Posted by okoye View Post
actually dude you can tune a subaru similiar to a porshe because they have the same horizontally opposed boxter engine no not the car
No, no they don't. Porsches pride themselves on the flat 6. Porsche and Subaru's Boxster engines are totally different.

That's like saying the LS is the same as fords Modular.

I may be king of the idiots, but my kingdom is vast and my subjects are everywhere
Old 12-24-2008, 02:23 AM
Xmod Expert

SPR - Incredible find! Looks like you're gonna have a great project there.

Everyone else - As of now, I can think of 2 people who shouldn't even be posting in this thread... How many people in this thread even OWN cars... And no, saying that your parents are gonna give you their car in 2 years does NOT count...

Too many noobs her who don't know what they're talking about.

SPR knows his Subaru stuff, so does Numbchux, since its pretty much all they do. Texan does GM stuff. All you other noobs who're second guessing should pipe down!
Old 12-24-2008, 04:25 AM
SPR

Quote:
Originally Posted by texan_idiot25 View Post
No, no they don't. Porsches pride themselves on the flat 6. Porsche and Subaru's Boxster engines are totally different.

That's like saying the LS is the same as fords Modular.
Quote:
Originally Posted by okoye View Post
actually listen to texan. for being a chevy guy, he knows what he is talking about talking suby in this term.

Just because it has the same configuration motor doesnt mean its the same. Look how many configurations and different brands and styles of V8's their are. But everyone is different.

its the not the tuning thats the problem. its the subaru is just soo badass they didnt leave any room for improvments. They designed their intake system to be very sufficient, and tuned their cars to run it. Thats why its good for up to 400 hp. A honda uses a very restrictive system and motor because they are concerned about fuel economy. Thats why adding a intake and exhaust to those is a rather good improvment.

Only reason exhaust is really worht a **** on a subaru is if they are turbo charged. back pressure is a killer, so of course a restrictive exhaust kills the turbo spool. But if you put exhaust on a 2.5RS... not going to see much of a change.

Quote:
Originally Posted by REDisFASTER View Post
SPR - Incredible find! Looks like you're gonna have a great project there.

Everyone else - As of now, I can think of 2 people who shouldn't even be posting in this thread... How many people in this thread even OWN cars... And no, saying that your parents are gonna give you their car in 2 years does NOT count...

Too many noobs her who don't know what they're talking about.

SPR knows his Subaru stuff, so does Numbchux, since its pretty much all they do. Texan does GM stuff. All you other noobs who're second guessing should pipe down!

Couldnt agree with you more lol.

I talked to a few shipping companys today... Not the best of news.

6 companys told me 1900+ dollars after they found out it wouldnt steer.
8 companys told me No all together because it wouldnt steer.
1 company hung up on me after i told them it wouldnt steer.
2 companys have quotes at 1400 bucks.
3 are "getting back to me"

i spent pretty much the entire day on the phone to get a whole lotta no where.

i called uhaul to see about renting a truck and trailer and hauling it home my self... HA. thats 3900 bucks!! plus my hotel rooms and food.

i have one more option. my girlfriends grandma is the manager at my subaru dealership. she is going to ask some questions and see what she can come up with on car shipping for me across the US. So its not out of the question yet. and if it comes down too it i think i can come up with 1400 bucks. We will see.

I also have a bid it on a totaled STi right now for parts. my mom said she would loan me the money to buy it if i win. but i have to pay her back with in a year. which is no big deal. that means i rip out the parts i need. sell the parts i dont. give her the money i made back, and get a loan for the rest. just like i planned.

So ill let ya know on the 31st if i won the totaled STi, and hopefully soon with in the next couple days if im picking up the STi shell, or going to hold off for a different one.

heres the one im bidding on.

Last edited by SPR; 12-24-2008 at 04:37 AM..
Closed Thread