Go Back   XmodSource.com > Xmods > XMOD Modification
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Gallery iTrader Today's Posts

Old 07-19-2011, 10:44 AM
Stage 1 member

Trader Rating: (0)

Ok well I got this idea when I was helping my sister. We had to put holes in a piece of plastic and we didnt have a drill so we took a nail, heated it on the stove, and poked the plastic(we were holding the nail with plyers). so what im asking is could take the metal xmod axle, heat it up, poke a rim, and it could be a xmod wheel? I have lots of back up axles for my xmods but no rims to try it on

And Dr.Kustom, I hope you see this because im sure you would know lol

Last edited by DRFTKO; 07-19-2011 at 11:08 AM.. Reason: double post
Old 07-19-2011, 11:00 AM
Stage 1 member

There could be some problems with that method.

Plastic doesnt burn away in that it only bends and there is always a risk that it would bend the rim a little bit too much.

Maybe if you put something inside the rim so it wont bend when you stick it that just could work.

I havent done a lot of rim modification except I installed rims from plastic model kit into Xmod. Just drill a hole and remove from original rims that d-hole and glue it into your "custom" rims.
Old 07-19-2011, 09:48 PM
Xmod Expert

Trader Rating: (8)
Send a message via AIM to suicide_star Send a message via MSN to suicide_star

It works nicely if done with care. People have been using this to make "D" holes since the release of Xmods with spare axles and driveshafts.
Old 07-20-2011, 01:25 PM
Stage 1 member

thats what i was thinking of Tuninki, putting somthing inside the rim. plus after i poked the hole i was going to cut away the access. and instead of putting somthing inside the rim, what if i just poked the hole from the back so the spokes wont bend much? like on a surface i dont care about like my work bench? and suicide_star, i take it you have done this method?
Old 07-20-2011, 02:29 PM
Stage 1 member

Quote:
Originally Posted by xModsdude2.0 View Post
thats what i was thinking of Tuninki, putting somthing inside the rim. plus after i poked the hole i was going to cut away the access. and instead of putting somthing inside the rim, what if i just poked the hole from the back so the spokes wont bend much? like on a surface i dont care about like my work bench? and suicide_star, i take it you have done this method?
I think it would be best to poke it from outside to inside because its easier to cut away that bended plastic when its inside the rim and wont harm the better side of the rim.

And there is always a risk that all that heat will damage the paintjob of the rim.
Old 07-20-2011, 02:53 PM
Xmod Expert

Trader Rating: (8)
Send a message via AIM to suicide_star Send a message via MSN to suicide_star

Quote:
Originally Posted by xModsdude2.0 View Post
Yep. I used to put D holes in model wheels with spare driveshafts. Mark the exact center on your rims. Hold your driveshaft up with pliers...heat it up with a heat gun for a while. Put your rim in a vise or something to hold it straight and try to stab the driveshaft end as straight as possible. works like a charm.
Old 07-20-2011, 03:21 PM
Stage 1 member

o ok thanks suicide_star. i think thats actually how i'll do it lol. and that is a good point Tuninki, but i dont care if it ruins the paint, i just repaint it lol. and thanks for the help guys i didnt wanna go buy some rims just to waste em