Go Back   XmodSource.com > Miscellaneous > Real Cars: Full scale
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Gallery iTrader Today's Posts

Old 06-19-2008, 10:17 PM
Xmod Expert

Trader Rating: (8)
Send a message via AIM to suicide_star Send a message via MSN to suicide_star

Quote:
Originally Posted by ling427ttvette View Post
I'll take my Hooker 3" catback with Hedmann headers over that anyday.

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v2...t=DSCF0875.flv

I dunno, cherry bombs probably sound good on the right application.. but not on a V-6. V-6's almost never sound good with an exhaust though, unless they got a nice huge cam. That can make anything sound good.

How come you don't want to mod the motor? More power = more fun. You can never have too much of either.

Suicide_star, I don't know where you come from.. but heres some knowledge.

This is an exhaust manifold:

This is a header:

HUGE difference. Headers are aftermarket, they add horsepower, have increased flow over manifolds.

thanks for linking pics to prove my point
Old 06-20-2008, 07:18 AM
Banned

Trader Rating: (5)
Send a message via Yahoo to fordman239

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteMKIV View Post
LMAO

Just dump a v8 in it.....if you plan on off roading with a v6 with vary little mods...your not going anywhere......
i was thinkin about taking the 351 out of my box ttruck, and putting it in there, but my box truck runs fine and this will after qwe fix the oil pump. it ran when we towed it so it will run smoother when we get the new oil pump in it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by suicide_star View Post
he just proved you were rong, that theres a big difference between headers and manifolds.

Last edited by fordman239; 06-20-2008 at 07:23 AM..
Old 06-20-2008, 07:42 AM
Surgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordman239 View Post
(H)e just proved you were (w)rong, that theres a big difference between headers and manifolds.
What is the difference? The factory heat shield?
Old 06-20-2008, 08:55 AM
Elite member

Trader Rating: (13)

Quote:
Lets put it like this.

Lets look at a desktop computer, and a laptop computer.

They both essentially have the same function, do the same exact things, and are completely different from one another.

Yeah, headers and manifolds essentially have the same BASIC function, which is to let the exhaust exit the engine. But, the way they achieve this function is completely different. If they were the same thing then why would headers be better than a manifold?

The headers let the exhaust exit quicker, and much more efficiently and add horsepower because of it. Especially equal length headers, like the ones pictured. There are all kinds of different headers, how many different kinds of manifolds are there? None. Manifolds are all basically the same. Headers have alot of different variations for different applications depending on what you want to achieve with your car/engine.
Old 06-20-2008, 09:17 AM
Stage 1 member

Trader Rating: (0)
Send a message via AIM to black_g35

yea i was hoping to get my ranger converted to a 4x4 i heard all i need was the new 4x4 front end and a transfur case... i hope it's true lol i want it to be 4x4 bad. and your lucky 500 bucks is bad *** for that truck
Old 06-20-2008, 09:35 AM
Xmod Expert

Trader Rating: (8)
Send a message via AIM to suicide_star Send a message via MSN to suicide_star

Quote:
Originally Posted by ling427ttvette View Post
Lets put it like this.

Lets look at a desktop computer, and a laptop computer.

They both essentially have the same function, do the same exact things, and are completely different from one another.

Yeah, headers and manifolds essentially have the same BASIC function, which is to let the exhaust exit the engine. But, the way they achieve this function is completely different. If they were the same thing then why would headers be better than a manifold?

The headers let the exhaust exit quicker, and much more efficiently and add horsepower because of it. Especially equal length headers, like the ones pictured. There are all kinds of different headers, how many different kinds of manifolds are there? None. Manifolds are all basically the same. Headers have alot of different variations for different applications depending on what you want to achieve with your car/engine.
ok, i've researched it...and it's all just for terminology's sake...

Exhaust Manifold-exhaust leaves head through sharp turns and wind up at a common point in the manifold thus producing more backpressure.

Header-exhaust leaves head through mandrel bent tubing (with smoother curves) whose only common point actually makes up at the downpipe, reducing back pressure.

These words don't actually describe their function, but their designs. (As far as this argument goes)

Taken literally, a header is the unit at the beginning of the exhaust system (which is also where the manifold is located). A manifold is a chamber with multiple inlets or outlets (and headers have, in fact, multiple inlets).

Learn something new every day Thanks for arguing back with me to get me off my *** and do my research ling.

Last edited by suicide_star; 06-20-2008 at 09:47 AM..
Old 06-20-2008, 09:56 AM
Surgeon

@ Ling-I see your point, but you are taking it out of context of the original setting.

Quote:
cuz headers wopnt fit under the hood, and cherry bombs are cheap, maybe different types and systems

most definantly
Quote:
how can headers not fit under the hood? there are already headers there....
Quote:
theres no headers under it already, its called a manifold. duh
There are differences between aftermarkett and oem products. For example there are stock exhaust systems and aftermarkett systems, or intake or anything else. Although the aftermarkett does (most of the time) increase horsepower, it is still the same function.

Suicide was merely trying to get fordman to think about what he was saying, he claimed there was no headers on his car(or even that they could be put on it)... as though they were completely different entities altogether.

In the context of the setting it is as bold of a claim as saying "There is no exhaust on my car, and one will not fit on it; it has an exhaust system, duh.". Just because it doesn't have a Borla or a magna-flow or whatever doesn't mean it doesn't have an exhaust.
Old 06-20-2008, 11:47 AM
Banned

ok, forget it, i was rong, im admitting it. but in my family, even though headers and manifolds are in the exact same place, they are considered different. they do do the exact same thing, i was rong, but in my family, headers take place of manifolds, not stock headers, i didnt know there was stock headers, i always called them manifolds. i do not want to put headers on the truck (aftermarket headers) and i will put some sort of exhaust system on it, possibly a snorkel for the intake, cherry bombs, cut out pocket style falres to replace the touring style with an off road style, possibly 3 or 4 inch lift kit, cragar rims, bfg mud terrain t/a tires, and take off the topper, sell it on ebay alo0ng with the flares that are on it, the stock rims, and the stock parts i am taking off. i was thinking about doing a 351 swap, but im not experienced enough to do it yet, and the 4.0 v6 thats in it works great at 126k miles, and i will run it til it dies, and then maybe do a 302 swap in it, which is most common in these trucks. this is the look im going for with paint being black or charcoal, havent decided yet.

Old 06-20-2008, 01:55 PM
[Not-your-day] - Badass

Send a message via AIM to noturday

Quote:
Just dump a v8 in it.....if you plan on off roading with a v6 with vary little mods...your not going anywhere......
another incorrect statement, the v6 will have no problem getting through the mud, it's a light truck, you dont need a lot of power to get it moving, and since its a light truck it will do better in mud than most full size trucks.
the extra weight on the front end from the V8 will just make it sink faster

i've seen a 2x4 mazda b2000 4 banger go places i couldnt in my 2x4 silverado v8 because of the weight difference, and all it had was a 3" body lift

Team XI
Old 06-20-2008, 02:01 PM
XMS ADMINISTRATOR

Trader Rating: (17)

Nice little truck. Glad to know that you are planning on putting it in the air rather than lowering it. I have never been a fan of dropped rangers in this body style, so good choice on your future plans.
My XMODS
Proud member of Team NCXR

WANTED: Gen. 1 cf Chassis Upgrade (just parts from the upgrade will do fine)
Old 06-20-2008, 02:59 PM
Banned

i hate lowered anything. i think trucks should always be lifted, trucks are meant to be off road, idc what kind it is, the smaller, the better, for off roading, lighter trucks always work in ur favor, especially with mudding.
Old 06-20-2008, 04:46 PM
Yes, 1945 Cadillac Tank

Send a message via AIM to texan_idiot25

Quote:
LMAO

That's why the classic 80s Toyota with it's tiny 22R four banger is a renowned off-roader right? You know nothing about off roading if you think that just because it has a V6 it can't do anything.

No more headers vs stock manifolds names. Continue that in the random thread por favor. and for the record books, the stock manifolds suite off road driving style better. Through the funky form that is thermodynamics and exhaust, the stock manifolds tend to provide better low-end torque then compared to high-flowing headers which open up the top-end. And you don't drive off road with the engine biting the redline.

Quote:
4.0 v6 thats in it works great at 126k miles
Obviously not if it had to be towed home

If this is the Ranger with the twin I-Beam suspension up front, the pre-runner style is a way to go. They offer great travel, at the expense of camber angles. You can crank up the stock torsion bars for a little bit of extra lift, but I wouldn't go over 2 inches.

Too bad I can't find the slammed Ranger Grill (like hot dogs and ham burgers) that's on Surface-DVD, it's way cool.

I may be king of the idiots, but my kingdom is vast and my subjects are everywhere
Old 06-20-2008, 07:21 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by texan_idiot25 View Post
That's why the classic 80s Toyota with it's tiny 22R four banger is a renowned off-roader right? You know nothing about off roading if you think that just because it has a V6 it can't do anything.

No more headers vs stock manifolds names. Continue that in the random thread por favor. and for the record books, the stock manifolds suite off road driving style better. Through the funky form that is thermodynamics and exhaust, the stock manifolds tend to provide better low-end torque then compared to high-flowing headers which open up the top-end. And you don't drive off road with the engine biting the redline.

Obviously not if it had to be towed home

If this is the Ranger with the twin I-Beam suspension up front, the pre-runner style is a way to go. They offer great travel, at the expense of camber angles. You can crank up the stock torsion bars for a little bit of extra lift, but I wouldn't go over 2 inches.

Too bad I can't find the slammed Ranger Grill (like hot dogs and ham burgers) that's on Surface-DVD, it's way cool.
well, it ran when we towed it, all it needs is an oil pump, and we are going to lift and adjust with the torsion bars, i only wanna go with 31's under, on stock rims, not the current ones, the ones put on the fx4's.
Old 06-21-2008, 02:52 AM
Banned

Trader Rating: (20)

Quote:
Originally Posted by noturday View Post
another incorrect statement, the v6 will have no problem getting through the mud, it's a light truck, you dont need a lot of power to get it moving, and since its a light truck it will do better in mud than most full size trucks.
the extra weight on the front end from the V8 will just make it sink faster

i've seen a 2x4 mazda b2000 4 banger go places i couldnt in my 2x4 silverado v8 because of the weight difference, and all it had was a 3" body lift
mazda B2000 is the same as a 2.3 liter ranger just different grills and a few minor company changes to their motors.

If I had it my way I would put a 3.0 liter v-6 in it. lets just say it pulled my focus out of the ditch once after a snow storm.
Old 06-21-2008, 09:06 AM
Banned

it has a 4.0 v6 in it with 4x4, and an auto trans with shift on the fly switch, shifts from 2x4 to 4x4 inside the cab. i wish it had a manual though, cuz sticks rock.