Go Back   XmodSource.com > Miscellaneous > Miscellaneous RC's > Misc Electric
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Gallery iTrader Today's Posts

Old 06-27-2009, 01:59 AM
Banned

Trader Rating: (0)
Default Well, I made the jump from Xmods!

I was running my lipo xmod with stock r motor and all kinds of other carp and it hit a little puddle of water. I ran to it and picked it up and hit the throttle to see if it was too late and then BOOM while it was in my hand. I dropped it and ran inside and heard a loud explosion again and went back out and my hard work was melted. I was looking on atomicmods at Mini-z's but I figured for the 300 I was gonna drop on something I was gonna run on the street in front my house I should go bigger. I ordered an RC18T and didn't waste any time with upgrades or playing around I went straight to Mamba 8000kv with 7.4v 2s Lipo, bought some different gears and some losi tires. I plan on running stock first to get used to it, then go lipo, then go brushless!! I never noticed that I had to get some plugs for the battery connection so I'm just gonna cut the one from the stock esc when I upgrade and use that one when I'm ready to go brushless. Just wondering if I made a good start???
Old 06-27-2009, 02:27 AM
micro-creationist

Trader Rating: (1)

you really should consider some good plugs...Deans are way better at transfering amperage compared to stock plugs.

You'll find that the steering of the rc18 needs a little help but it's a great overall platform.
Old 06-27-2009, 06:18 AM
Elite member

Trader Rating: (4)

Quote:
Originally Posted by babybat View Post
I was running my lipo xmod with stock r motor and all kinds of other carp and it hit a little puddle of water. I ran to it and picked it up and hit the throttle to see if it was too late and then BOOM while it was in my hand. I dropped it and ran inside and heard a loud explosion again and went back out and my hard work was melted.

lmao
you heard a loud explosion from a li-po ???????????..... they dont explode its a chemical reaction like thermite

XMS and XMF february COTM winner

Last edited by reaper; 06-27-2009 at 02:35 PM..
Old 06-27-2009, 12:13 PM
is here

Send a message via AIM to Stampedekid Send a message via MSN to Stampedekid

Yes usually LiPo's don't make a loud explosion but like others said upgrade to deans, not the micro deans that you may or may not have had on your XMODs but standard deans. Deans are high current so they will not melt under extreme current(had that happen with my Molex/Tamiya connectors on some of my 10th scalers). Just thought I'd help out.
Old 06-27-2009, 02:22 PM
Banned

i heard like a pssshhh pop sound
I'm kinda ****ed at atomicmods because usually theyre pretty good at saying what's required with their products. It didn't say anything about connectors. Now I would have to pay $10 shipping for a $3 part. Could I get a good connecter from radioshack?

Last edited by babybat; 06-27-2009 at 02:33 PM..
Old 06-27-2009, 02:57 PM
XMS Admin

Trader Rating: (35)
Send a message via MSN to zippo855 Send a message via Yahoo to zippo855

Quote:
i heard like a pssshhh pop sound
I'm kinda ****ed at atomicmods because usually theyre pretty good at saying what's required with their products. It didn't say anything about connectors. Now I would have to pay $10 shipping for a $3 part. Could I get a good connecter from radioshack?
stay away from the rs battery plugs. usually low quiality, but great for a cheapo rc car.

if you have a hobby shop in your area they should carry the ultra deans plugs. i converted all my batteries on my propulses to ultra deans. and let me tell you solved a lot of connector related issues i was having

TEAM X.I.
my massive collection of xmods
http://www.xmodsource.com/forum/showthread.php?t=13526
Old 06-27-2009, 03:03 PM
Banned

I don't have any lhs
How about at the hardware store?
Old 06-27-2009, 05:14 PM
Elite member

Trader Rating: (13)

The hardware store probably won't have much if anything..

Get some deans plugs or traxxas high current connectors, either one is really good and you will actually notice a power increase from it, as there is a lot less resistance.

Sounds like a pretty hot motor for that thing, I was just running a 5700kv in my 1/10 Slash and it moved pretty dang good, heck it moves pretty good with the 3500kv Velineon that's in it now. Yours is much lighter and has more power and Li-Po.. dang, good luck controlling that thing.
Old 06-28-2009, 01:28 AM
XMS Admin

Trader Rating: (35)
Send a message via MSN to zippo855 Send a message via Yahoo to zippo855

if you dont have a lhs, then your best bet would be an online retailer.
i reccomend toadz toyz out of california. i have bough a whole bunch of stuff from him. very good prices, and good customer service.
ebay link

TEAM X.I.
my massive collection of xmods
http://www.xmodsource.com/forum/showthread.php?t=13526
Old 06-28-2009, 10:46 AM
late model, xmods, microt

Trader Rating: (5)

thetoyz.com is also a very good store. I get 2-3 shipping on all but one of my orders so far. Lots of products for the rc18's.
Old 06-28-2009, 01:04 PM
Banned

do the rc18b bodys fit on the 18ts without modification?
Old 06-28-2009, 03:01 PM
is here

Send a message via AIM to Stampedekid Send a message via MSN to Stampedekid

I would say go with a TRX(traxxas) connector or Deans. I run TRX connectors on my Sidewinder 5700 powered Slash and that thing moves. Also on my 1/16 E-Revo VXL and even though yes power is part of it, my connectors would be melting if it wasn't for the high current TRX ones. On 12 cells(14.4volts) my connectors almost never get warm, now imagine if I were running molex or standard plugs like RC18's or others run.. And for your question on the RC18B bodies, I'm pretty sure they would need modifications but I'm not one to answer as I don't own one.
Old 07-01-2009, 03:57 AM
Banned

Well, I got my stuff in yesterday and its 3 in the mornin the next day here. I been toolin around and gettin used to drivin it stock, then with lipo, then with a 19t gear. I think I darn near killed a cat when it stepped in the way.
My stock esc ended up crappin out for some reason so, even though I'm not quite used to drivin it, I put in the Sidewinder 8000kv. Right now I'm runnin 2s lipo. I pulled a wheelie and thought I stripped a gear, scared the crap outta me but the gear mesh just needed to be loosened up. Right now I'm usin stock connectors from the other esc cause its all I have and it's way fast already I did a couple backflips. I can't wait to see what happens with traxxas connectors and maybe MAYBE a 3s lipo. I needa get some 3M double sided pad to mount the esc and I plan on rearrangin everything. Also I'm tryin to take it easy on my gears as I'm starting to save cash for the college I was recently accepted to.
Well I'm sorry mods I'll definately have pics up later today but right now I just can't do it my neck hurts sooo bad from lookin downwards workin on that bugger for hours (neck's broken). Gotta say it was worth the pain I'm really gonna enjoy this one.
Old 07-01-2009, 02:00 PM
Advance member

Quote:
I was running my lipo xmod with stock r motor and all kinds of other carp and it hit a little puddle of water. I ran to it and picked it up and hit the throttle to see if it was too late and then BOOM while it was in my hand. I dropped it and ran inside and heard a loud explosion again and went back out and my hard work was melted.
"The real men have the nuts to walk away"
YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.
Old 07-01-2009, 03:11 PM
Banned

It was in my hand dude
Old 07-01-2009, 04:44 PM
Advance member

Quote:
It was in my hand dude
Actually....you said it was in your hand, you ran inside- heard and explosion and it melted. So you ran away from the explosion....not quite as cool as walking.
Old 07-01-2009, 06:28 PM
Banned

better than having no hand
Old 07-01-2009, 10:52 PM
Xmod Expert

Trader Rating: (8)
Send a message via AIM to winner

Quote:
Originally Posted by surgeon View Post
Actually....you said it was in your hand, you ran inside- heard and explosion and it melted. So you ran away from the explosion....not quite as cool as walking.
lmao does it really matter?? lmao if i was next to anything that was going to explode i'd run like a bat outta hell!

anyways back on topic, con gratz on your new rc18! hope u hve a great time with your new truck!

XBL Gamer Tag : Roar Pants
Old 07-01-2009, 10:57 PM
Banned

is it normal to smell nothing but burnt rubber for hours when you have a sidewinder esc? lol
Old 07-01-2009, 11:03 PM
Xmod Expert

Trader Rating: (8)
Send a message via AIM to winner

only if your talking about tires, i hope you are?

XBL Gamer Tag : Roar Pants