Go Back   XmodSource.com > Xmods > XMOD Electronics
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Gallery iTrader Today's Posts

Old 06-08-2009, 02:29 PM

Trader Rating: (15)
Send a message via AIM to Kaze
Default Steering Mod?

So... I'm sitting in my class right now and like a true Xmodder (and college student) I had a thought, and I ask you electronics guys out there if this is feasible or not. This is not meant to start a flaming war between Kyosho and Radio Shack, but in my mind I'm comparing the two and how the electronics are basically the main difference. Anyways, I was thinking that one of the smoothest acting features is the steering. I'm wondering how much would performance change for Xmods if the steering alone was more proportional.

So I ask you electronics guys... for Gen 1's, 2's and 3's. What would it take to create more proportional steering. Is it the controller that is not powerful enough to do this? or maybe the EP has something missing (since you already need to mod a gen 1 for tight-turns)

It's just thoughts in my head, but something i definitely want to see tried. Improved steering I think be a major step as far as performance modding goes.

Old 06-08-2009, 03:12 PM
Elite member

Trader Rating: (4)

For the Evo a micro t board or a Mini z board in it.2.4 would be the best but to much money.For the Gen 1 there are more opitions you can go with a hs-55 servo with a mini z board or 1/18th stuff just take the esc and rec. out of there plastic boxes.
Old 06-08-2009, 03:23 PM

I know these things already, but what I'm trying to get at is an electronics mod that DOES NOT involve a swap to another system or brand of RC.

Edit: When you swap to MiniT or MiniZ, you're not just changing the steering ability, you're changing everything about it. What I'm getting at is I wanna see the heart of the Xmod, modded up. It may be impractical, but i'm still curious where it would go as far as electronics modding goes. Once again i'm asking for mod idea NOT involving a board swap.

Last edited by Kaze; 06-08-2009 at 03:27 PM..
Old 06-08-2009, 03:30 PM
Elite member

Trader Rating: (4)

what you have to find out is can you add something to make it a true AM.I would like to now that to but i don't think anybody on this board will know.Maybe all you have to do is change one of the chips on the board
Old 06-08-2009, 05:51 PM
XMS Administrator

Trader Rating: (5)
Send a message via AIM to Donziikid

In my opinion there are three major factors holding back the Xmods steering:

1. Suspension Geometry:
Take a gander at the Xmods EVO or Xmods Street suspension. You will notice that it is slightly flawed when the suspension is compressed. Much like the Xmods Truck's, the Xmods EVO and Xmods Street have the flaw of slight to major toe in when the suspension is compressed. Due to the design, this is very hard to get away from.

When using a MiniZ chassis, they have a king pin design, allowing the wheels to travel up and down but not bow in or out when the suspension is compressed.

This bow in and out causes the first issue.

2. Electronics:
I am not entirely sure what exactly goes into making the Xmods steering work, but I do know that a potentiometer is involved. From my experience, the POT is just not quick enough to recenter the wheels causing misalignment when you want to make corrections while driving. Another flaw.

3. Steering Gearing:
Along with a funny play on words, I believe this is the largest problem. When looking at other things that have steering, you will notice they have an abundance of gears. For example, the HS55 steering servo, as small as it is, is comprised of five seperate gears. I believe the Xmods just do not have enough gears to properly align, center and stay at a fixed angle without moving backwards due to lack of strength in the gearing system and the steering servo itself.

Cheers,
Kyle.

Greyscale Racing Member

The Collection:
Mitsubishi Pajero | AE RC18MT
TLMicroCrawler | Xmod ShowRoom | 'Yota XTruck
"The fun begins when the pavement ends."

Old 06-08-2009, 06:35 PM

Interesting, but what about when you do a board swap? Does the steering of an Xmod get better when a MiniZ board is dropped into it (I have a couple boards, just haven't swapped them yet)

Old 06-08-2009, 06:45 PM
XMS Administrator

Trader Rating: (5)
Send a message via AIM to Donziikid

Theoretically, yes, on the electronics side of things, the steering does get better. The steering, from what I've heard/interpreted, just becomes more responsive and more precise due to the upgraded electronics aspect but the stock POT and gearings will still hinder the performance.

Greyscale Racing Member

The Collection:
Mitsubishi Pajero | AE RC18MT
TLMicroCrawler | Xmod ShowRoom | 'Yota XTruck
"The fun begins when the pavement ends."