Go Back   XmodSource.com > Xmods > XMOD Electronics
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Gallery iTrader Today's Posts

Old 03-19-2009, 02:28 AM
Advance member

Trader Rating: (0)
Default "best" electronics for xmod?

hey guys, i was pondering upgrading the electronics in my evo, but not sure what would be the "best" way to go.

mini-z electronics?
micro-t?
iwaiver?

what would everyone consider the "best" out there?

im thinking mini-z, just because i like the 2.4 asf idea. would this be the best bet? also, would the steering radius decrease(as a mini-z turns sharper than an evo xmod) or would the steering just be more...precise?

thanx guys!
Old 03-19-2009, 05:35 AM
Mini-Z Drifter

Trader Rating: (8)

If you upgraded the electronics and the servo, then it would handle more like a Mini-Z. At least I think that is what I have read on the web. If you can wait and save up the money, I would say just buy a 2.4ghz Mini-Z. If you already have a controller that works with a 2.4ghz system, then just buy the chassis w/ electronics. I think you can get them without the controller for like $140, and I think around $220 for one with a controller.

But if your really set on swapping the electronics, I would go for the Mini-Z electronics. Although anyone of the three would be a better electronic system then your Xmod. I think the iwaiver is a good one and the cheapest too. Lower quality then the Mini-Z, but better for then the Xmods. Not sure about the Micro-t, but from what I have heard they are pretty decent
Old 03-19-2009, 10:13 PM
Advance member

Trader Rating: (2)

Micro T conversions are super easy on a Gen 1 Chassis and performance is excellent. I can provide you a link to my thread if you'd like.

For an Evo, a Mini Z is ideal, but it is expensive. If your not a hardcore racer, get the iwaver.
Old 03-20-2009, 02:20 PM
Forum Idiot

Trader Rating: (3)
Send a message via AIM to Sweed Send a message via Yahoo to Sweed

Mini-Z hands down.
Possibly I-waver, that's faily cheap.
Micro-T doesn't have enough throttle control for racing or drifting. Bashing.. Maybe, but not on a high power (30mph+) machine...
Stock blows.
Or you can do what the Euro Guys do, and make a custom CF (for the gen1 atleast) chassis and mount proper controls in it. Pull everything out of it's case...

But, personally, I'll take a custom CF Gen1 Chassis with Mini-Z electronics and a Stacked Nelly. The absolute best electronics in the best chassis. Good luck finding a Stacked Nelly though...

EDIT:
Skyline, you won't get close to the Handling of a MR-02 or MA-010. Maybe a MR-01, but the Mini-Z's are INCREDIBLY smooth stock. A xmod (gen1, less gear bind) on full bearings is on par with a stock MR-02 in smoothness of the drivetrain. Then comes the servo and steering, and the Mini-Z's are spot on. A Gen1 (all I really know about) with a Micro-T electronics handles good, but it's the chassis design that fails. Xmod suspension isn't the greatest (gets the job done though) and you end up rolling. Evo's seem better, but eventually fail...

Let me put it this way: EvoT's for the crawlers, Evo's for the newbs and bashers as well as the cheap kids, Gen1's for crazy modifications, and Mini-Z's for racing. World of difference...
"Save us, oh lord, from the wrath of the Norsemen"

Last edited by Sweed; 03-20-2009 at 02:24 PM..
Old 03-20-2009, 04:24 PM
All 6's and 7's

Send a message via MSN to bondo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweed View Post

Let me put it this way: EvoT's for the crawlers, Evo's for the newbs and bashers as well as the cheap kids, Gen1's for crazy modifications, and Mini-Z's for racing. World of difference...
you do realize that with this statement, you called alot of well respected and talented members "newb's" and "cheap kids" right?
all over their choice of chassis?
Old 03-20-2009, 06:12 PM
Mad JDM's ked

i would do a v2 board. you don't have to stack fets
Old 03-20-2009, 10:22 PM
drifter and engineer

Trader Rating: (5)
Send a message via AIM to XMDrifter

well, evos are the only thing available right now, and there's plenty of non-cheap expert modders around here that use evos. don't put any version down just because most of the newbies or cheaps have them.
Old 03-21-2009, 01:53 AM
All 6's and 7's

Quote:
Originally Posted by XMDrifter View Post
well, evos are the only thing available right now, and there's plenty of non-cheap expert modders around here that use evos. don't put any version down just because most of the newbies or cheaps have them.
don't fret it.
sweeds just an eliteist who thinks he's better then everyone because he built a t-mod and has'nt owned an evo.

Last edited by bondo; 03-21-2009 at 12:19 PM..
Old 04-08-2009, 11:05 AM
Advance member

well ive been thinking of going with mini-z electronics(2.4ghz asf with kt-18 tx) but wondering, if i do swap the board would i want the mini-z steering servo/pot, or would i have to use the xmod servo/pot?

also, arent the 2.4mini-z fets 2x2stack of "good" fets? i.e. no replacing/stacking fets to use a stockR motor with lith?
Old 04-08-2009, 11:17 AM
Forum Idiot

Send a message via AIM to Sweed Send a message via Yahoo to Sweed

Quote:
Originally Posted by bondo View Post
you do realize that with this statement, you called alot of well respected and talented members "newb's" and "cheap kids" right?
all over their choice of chassis?
Well, tell me that doesn't apply half the time?
All the really cool **** (save the crawlers) was on the Gen1's.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bondo View Post
don't fret it.
sweeds just an eliteist who thinks he's better then everyone because he built a t-mod and has'nt owned an evo.
Ssssshhhhhhhhhh!
"Save us, oh lord, from the wrath of the Norsemen"

Last edited by Sweed; 04-08-2009 at 11:20 AM..
Old 04-08-2009, 12:29 PM
The N00B who isn't

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94exa2 View Post
well ive been thinking of going with mini-z electronics(2.4ghz asf with kt-18 tx) but wondering, if i do swap the board would i want the mini-z steering servo/pot, or would i have to use the xmod servo/pot?

also, arent the 2.4mini-z fets 2x2stack of "good" fets? i.e. no replacing/stacking fets to use a stockR motor with lith?
Yes, you do have to use the xmod servo/pot. Also, a 2x2 stack is more than enough to run a stockR, but if you got a V2 board it would have more power ( a V2 deletes the need for more FETs and acts a bit like a turbo). If you don't want to use the xmod servo/pot, there is a tutorial to use an HS-55 on an xmod. It's right here http://www.xmodsource.com/forum/show...ighlight=HS-55.
Old 04-08-2009, 12:40 PM
US Air Force

Trader Rating: (9)

i have been looking at this.

micro esc

and for a rx just find a old Rx and strip it down to the board and wrap it in electric tape. a sevo is easy to set up.
Old 04-08-2009, 01:31 PM
Modifier

Send a message via ICQ to Skv012a Send a message via AIM to Skv012a Send a message via Yahoo to Skv012a

Sweed, these things never go 30mph, kph is more like it.
Old 04-08-2009, 02:23 PM
Working Class Hero

Trader Rating: (32)
Send a message via MSN to TripleXmodder(akaXXX)

Hmm. Let me just leave a few blurbs here ... If you guys don't mind .. ah hm.

- You are wasting alot of money buying Mini-Z elecs to put in an Xmod (that's Fact, but maaaannnn, even I am tempted to do it) If you want that kind of nice racer, just buy the Mini-Z

- Xmods are great to mod, you know chop up and hook up all crrrazy like and make cool as projects with. You can make them fast and smoother then stock without destroying a $150 mINI-z to hook up a $40 Xmod.

- Here is my tutorial for a micro servo in an Xmod, it's very easy to follow. http://www.xmodsource.com/forum/showthread.php?t=15454

- Putting this stuff in an Xmod,.. while making the xmod run better (if done well) will NOT make it comparable on a race track to a MR02.

- Sweed has nothing better to say, so ignore that. They are all fun cars, Xmods for me mainly to mod, and Mini-Zs to race... For Me.

- You can use the mini-z POT or not you can do what you like if you know how. there are some Tuts around.

- Final thought ... Don't do it, you'd be happier just buying an MR02 and it wouldn't be much more then buying the PCB. But if you must do it, use the iwaver PCB.. it's only $47 new.

- XXX

XXX FREE modding Service: http://www.xmodsource.com/forum/showthread.php?t=17800
PM me for a quote or any questions. HAPPY MODDING

100% Positive Itrader feedback http://www.xmodsource.com/forum/itrader.php?u=6901
Old 04-08-2009, 03:23 PM
All 6's and 7's

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweed View Post
Well, tell me that doesn't apply half the time?
All the really cool **** (save the crawlers) was on the Gen1's.

no, i don't think that it applies at all.
i think it has alot more to do with availability.
Evo's are in abundance and gen1's are all but becoming extinct.
personally i don't see the point in buying a $40 gen1 chassis and a $60 ESC.
might aswell just save another $15 and buy the Z or T.

all of the "cool ****" your referring to was done to gen1's mainly because they were the first out leaving few "firsts" for the EVO.

i agree with XXX though, there isn't much point in buying a new board for the sole purpose of swapping out the Xmod esc.
if you've got an extra laying around then go for it, otherwise your just ****ing away money on an inferior platform.
Old 04-08-2009, 04:58 PM
Modifier

Send a message via ICQ to Skv012a Send a message via AIM to Skv012a Send a message via Yahoo to Skv012a

Platform is actually not that bad, but its a matter of having decent upgrades after the board to make the swap truly worth it. All or half GPM xmod w/ 2.4 board might rival some Zs, but like you guys said- rest of the upgrades will be all on you. Plus its a matter of wanting to rebuild upgrades that get smashed in races.

My thoughts are that if you're gonna waste any of your time on a RC, you might as well make it productive. All the effort you put into a Z pays off at the track. All the effort you put in a xmod... well, I really don't know aside from personal satisfaction and dust.
Old 04-09-2009, 11:34 AM
Advance member

ok, so bash me because i wanna use mini-z electronics in an xmod? sry i like my xmod...

so can i use the mini-z servo motor/pot?
Old 04-09-2009, 12:08 PM
All 6's and 7's

Quote:
ok, so bash me because i wanna use mini-z electronics in an xmod? sry i like my xmod...

don't get all ****y kiddo...
no one is bashing you.
all were saying is that it isn't cost effective to buy a H/G ESC for an Xmod.
Old 04-09-2009, 12:12 PM
Working Class Hero

Trader Rating: (32)
Send a message via MSN to TripleXmodder(akaXXX)

Quote:

No one is "BASHING" like I said Im very tempted to do it too. But it my better judgement holds me back. I have done many, many mods PCB swaps servo swaps... whatever. It's fun to do, but why wouldn't you just get a Mini-Z.

TRUST me, you are not gonna get any great performance advantage, you will still be limited to the inferior xmod chassis. Im trying to save you from wasting your money.

Like I said get the iwaver PCB if you must do it (only $47) or use a PCB from somthing that is broken. Your free to do what you like, If you really must do it im sure you will definately have fun doing it.

........ If you had a georgeous 67 Camaro and a broke down 89 nissan sentra, would you take the motor out of the Camaro to hook up the Sentra ... or would you drive the Camaro. That's what this mod is comparison to.

XXX FREE modding Service: http://www.xmodsource.com/forum/showthread.php?t=17800
PM me for a quote or any questions. HAPPY MODDING

100% Positive Itrader feedback http://www.xmodsource.com/forum/itrader.php?u=6901
Old 04-09-2009, 12:14 PM
The N00B who isn't

Well, I do believe XXX said you can.