Go Back   XmodSource.com > Mini & Micro > Mini & Micro Projects
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Gallery iTrader Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-06-2010, 12:24 AM
aka xmod4life

Trader Rating: (9)
Send a message via AIM to Dr. Kustom Send a message via MSN to Dr. Kustom
Default - Project: Toyota Hilux Double Cab Scaler -

As many of you know that I bought a Losi micro rock crawler not too long ago, stock out of the box is fun, but tbh its not scale enough. So I ordered a Aoshima Toyota Hilux Double Cab to use it for a scaler project. The kit showed up today. I didn't waste any time, get started on it right away. So far, I have the front axle 90% mounted. I have did many model kit trucks conversion, but this is my first building a scaler, so if any of you have any tips, feel free to share it. Now its time for pics.

Change the front axle shocks mounts.

Chop off part of the front axle, so that the shock can move freely.

!st attempt on the suspension setup.

Imo, this setup doesn't work too well, so I changed it up a little be, I'll get pics on that tomorrow.

This is how it sits now.

Old 04-06-2010, 12:25 AM
retired xmodder

Trader Rating: (4)
Send a message via AIM to mycrors4

OMG a remake of my 1/10 scaler i sold... lol
i cant wait..
im too eager.. just finish it already.. lol

Check out my B/S/T Thread

Want remixes of some songs... PM me.. I has DJ programing software

Inventor of the idea of using Bob Saget to name R/C parts

٩(-̮̮̃•̃)۶
Old 04-06-2010, 11:26 AM
aka xmod4life

Quote:
Originally Posted by mycrors4 View Post
OMG a remake of my 1/10 scaler i sold... lol
i cant wait..
im too eager.. just finish it already.. lol
Haha, I'll try to get the F/R axles mount for now, then extend the driver shaft, mount the servo, ESC, etc. Basically, I just wanted to make it drivable for now.

Update: I like the stock tires that comes with the micro rock crawler, but they are not scale enough for me, so I went back to the Aoshima Super Swamper Tires. Also mounted some new rims.

The 1st red o-ring I used seems a little big, so I find some smaller ones, they looks much more scale.

New tires, racing bucket seats.

New suspension set up on front.

Old 04-06-2010, 01:09 PM

Trader Rating: (0)

thats really interesting so you can add a motor to it and make it an rc or is it already an rc?
Old 04-06-2010, 01:13 PM
Banned

Trader Rating: (14)

Why so creative guy (: Suspension even looks scale. If this was FB, i would like and unlike 9000 times. Plan on keeping the stock crawler tires? (:
Old 04-06-2010, 01:40 PM
retired xmodder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montrizal View Post
thats really interesting so you can add a motor to it and make it an rc or is it already an rc?
first of all
WELCOME!
and now for your question
It was a Losi Micro-Crawler and he is adding a scale body to it, to make it look better

٩(-̮̮̃•̃)۶
Old 04-06-2010, 07:21 PM
Light Modder

Trader Rating: (5)

are you going to be lowering the truck any further? becuase sitting that high it doesnt look much like a scaler, just a mini monster truck or mudder.
Old 04-07-2010, 05:46 PM
aka xmod4life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montrizal View Post
Quote:
first of all
WELCOME!
and now for your question
It was a Losi Micro-Crawler and he is adding a scale body to it, to make it look better
Like mycrors4 said, it started off as a 1/24 Losi Micro Rock Crawler, I'm using a 1/25 Aoshima Toyota Hilux Double Cab as the model kit conversion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lol View Post
Why so creative guy (: Suspension even looks scale. If this was FB, i would like and unlike 9000 times. Plan on keeping the stock crawler tires? (:
Thanks Kevin, I was inspired by a member from Scale4x4 in this project, and I'm keeping the stock tires.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamingISdrifting View Post
are you going to be lowering the truck any further? becuase sitting that high it doesnt look much like a scaler, just a mini monster truck or mudder.
From the last update, the truck was only a mock up, the ride height will be lower than that.

Update: Lowered the ride height a little, also moved the front axle forward, front suspension links mounted. (In the photos, there's no suspension shocks installed on the chassis)

This will be the ride height when its done.

Stock front bumper, don't really like the look of it, so they got to go, I will be building a custom one in the future.

Added front fender flares, and since the front axle is moved forward, I had to chop off a bit of the wheel well to clear up the tires from turning. (Fender flares are just a mock up)

Made room for the tranny to fit in.

Last edited by Dr. Kustom; 04-07-2010 at 05:51 PM..
Old 04-07-2010, 06:34 PM
retired xmodder

oh shiz! its standing on a 1/24 scale 4x1 plank!
lol
the reason i love this is cause ur using the chassis from the kit, ive never thought of doing anything like that
and do i see alloy nuts already?!?!?

٩(-̮̮̃•̃)۶
Old 04-09-2010, 05:05 PM
is here

Trader Rating: (1)
Send a message via AIM to Stampedekid Send a message via MSN to Stampedekid

As said on Scale 4X4, looks fantastic. Much better than my first attempt! Are you planning on doing leafs for it or not?
Old 04-10-2010, 06:18 PM
aka xmod4life

Quote:
oh shiz! its standing on a 1/24 scale 4x1 plank!
lol
the reason i love this is cause ur using the chassis from the kit, ive never thought of doing anything like that
and do i see alloy nuts already?!?!?
Thanks mycrors4, I have seen a few people using model kit chassis to do the conversion, that's where I got the idea from. And I do plan on getting some alloy lug nuts in the future, the one I have on in the last update, I just borrowed it from one of my cars.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stampedekid View Post
As said on Scale 4X4, looks fantastic. Much better than my first attempt! Are you planning on doing leafs for it or not?
Thanks Stampedekid, matter fact, I did have plan for the leafs suspension, it's in the new update. I also notice you did the leafs set up on your crawler, good to see another micro crawler owner using leafs.

Update: Was been busy recently, but I got back into it today, got the rear axle mounted on leaf springs.

Old 04-10-2010, 07:14 PM
Light Modder

Trader Rating: (5)

Wow very nice, from the pix it looks like its gunna be a short truck tho. But otherwise everything looks nice
Old 04-10-2010, 09:17 PM
Banned

OMG. OMG. OMG. OMG. OMG. OMG. OMG. OMG. OMG. Tell me those are the metal clips off a pen. I want, epic scale model! looks too real, i would totally buy it for $900.
Old 04-11-2010, 12:45 AM
is here

Looks better every time. How are Paul's tires as far as softness and everything? I was thinking of ordering a set but of the TSL boggers that he did up. Also I'm guessing you did the pull back springs like "B" did on his? Lastly, are you planning on ditching those rear shocks or going to do similar to what he did, also? I'm actually really enjoying your build, I remember going through similar things not too long ago with my build, hopefully you're getting as much enjoyment out of it as I did. If you have any questions, feel free to ask and I'd be more than happy to help
Old 04-12-2010, 09:56 PM
aka xmod4life

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamingISdrifting View Post
Wow very nice, from the pix it looks like its gunna be a short truck tho. But otherwise everything looks nice
Thanks, I have moved the rear axle a little toward to the end of the chassis, now it have a longer wheelbase.

Quote:
OMG. OMG. OMG. OMG. OMG. OMG. OMG. OMG. OMG. Tell me those are the metal clips off a pen. I want, epic scale model! looks too real, i would totally buy it for $900.
Haha, the leaf springs are coils from those little pull back cars.

Quote:
Looks better every time. How are Paul's tires as far as softness and everything? I was thinking of ordering a set but of the TSL boggers that he did up. Also I'm guessing you did the pull back springs like "B" did on his? Lastly, are you planning on ditching those rear shocks or going to do similar to what he did, also? I'm actually really enjoying your build, I remember going through similar things not too long ago with my build, hopefully you're getting as much enjoyment out of it as I did. If you have any questions, feel free to ask and I'd be more than happy to help
Thanks, I haven't have a set of those Paul made super swampers, I only got the TSL boggers from him, they are about the same size as the stock micro crawler tires, but they are a lot heavier, those TSL boggers I have on my Pajero are from Paul btw. Correct, I got the leaf springs idea from B also. I have the rear shocks mounted to the chassis but I mounted them toward to the side of the chassis.

Update: New improved leaf springs mounts. I'm using screws with large threads, and sand down the plate that hold the leaf springs in place, now when it flex, the leaf won't slip out anymore. Also, mounted up the rear shocks, started to work on the rear end, and made front body mounts, using 2 small screws to attach the body to the model chassis.

Old 04-12-2010, 10:00 PM
Banned

LIKE. LIKE. LIKE> LIKE . So Scale, I would do anything for one of those. Nice work doc.
Old 04-12-2010, 10:04 PM
retired xmodder

i could imagine chuck norris sitting in there..
nuff said.. its that epic

٩(-̮̮̃•̃)۶
Old 04-12-2010, 10:45 PM
Bored...

Trader Rating: (7)

That is beyond awesome! Looks really scale, without really trying. How much would it take to make one of these?
Old 04-12-2010, 11:01 PM
is here

Quote:
Originally Posted by KITT222 View Post
That is beyond awesome! Looks really scale, without really trying. How much would it take to make one of these?
Not very much at all, just a lot of time. I'm still working on mine and I started back in late December
Anyway looks better and better each step with it, Doc. Does the axle slide any bit with that setup. Mine slides just a tad bit, with my setup on the rear leafs. What did you and 'B' use for it? I've seen a few use Styrene but I'm curious.
Old 04-15-2010, 08:11 PM
aka xmod4life

Quote:
LIKE. LIKE. LIKE> LIKE . So Scale, I would do anything for one of those. Nice work doc.
Thanks Kevin.

Quote:
i could imagine chuck norris sitting in there..
nuff said.. its that epic
Haha, thanks man.

Quote:
Not very much at all, just a lot of time. I'm still working on mine and I started back in late December
Anyway looks better and better each step with it, Doc. Does the axle slide any bit with that setup. Mine slides just a tad bit, with my setup on the rear leafs. What did you and 'B' use for it? I've seen a few use Styrene but I'm curious.
Thanks Stampedekid, with the improved leaf mounts, the leaf springs slip anymore. As for the plate that hold down the leaf springs, they are the side piece that hold up the servo mount.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KITT222 View Post
Thanks KITT222, like Stampedekid said, those little rig does take a long time to finish, so I don't plan on building another one soon after I finish with this one.

Update: New improved front suspension, servo mounted, but still need to extend the drive shaft to make it go.

Mock up of the battery and power switch.